Author Topic: Taizen Chisou Makes Video Games (Lots of photos)  (Read 4825 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Taizen Chisou Makes Video Games (Lots of photos)
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
Oh, damn, son!

I felt as though I'd like a place to post all my willy-nilly little updates on games that will never be finished.

Like, ever.

So I'm making an RPG
I've been making it for like 6 years.

No one wants to help me with graphics and sounds
so I'm going to work on it for 6 more years :V

I use Game Maker, so don't expect much. :fail:
And by that, I mean, "expect a lot!"

You control four of the ten characters down and up several (may or may not be) randomly generated dungeon maps fighting enemies in Turn Based Battles.
Each character has innate affinities for certain weapons and magics.
Despite this, every character is capable of being taught everything.
You can summon things! They replace party members, act on their own and will inherit an ouline of the stats of the replaced party member!
There's a Final Fantasy Twelvesque Licencing System (except changed somewhat) and Guest System!
There's no such thing as a damage cap!
IT'S SO DIFFICULT ;-;

the game will probably be released
in NOVEMBER 2012
assuming people help me with the resources

And that's our first update!  :V
Expect our next one within fourteen seconds  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:17:50 PM by Chisou Taizen »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: Taizen Chisou Makes Video Games
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »

YOU'RE WINNER.

Coming up next, players using attack spells, stat mod spells, and reviving dead players!

After that, have usage of inventory items, and giving you a Level Up screen. Right now, it just kinda... happens.

(There are four me's because I'm the only one with an almost complete spriteset)

Remember that I am requesting help on this!

...Please? ;-;

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
Without knowing much about game mechanics it's hard to have an opinion on it but it looks like you're doing a pretty smooth job with it so far programming wise. The isometric view with the walls becoming transparent seems to work well. The battle transition is neat too.

I'd suggest compressing your outside map, no need to have the road be 8 tiles wide and have such long sidewalks leading to your buildings. You want to cram as many locations on the screen as aesthetically possible, it helps players not get lost and helps you control space so the player can't avoid encounters so easily.

There are a few issues with your battle UI but most of them would be resolved by just moving the characters and enemies further down the screen so they're sitting above the lifebar and not crowding the text at the top. I'd also suggest swapping the position of the command wheel and the lifebars, it feels a bit weird to have your characters do stuff in the top left while you issue commands in the bottom right corner.

I can't help but notice that you say that the main character is you, and that every other character is male as well, so I presume these are your friends IRL? Just FYI you're gonna have a really hard time getting anyone to help you with a self-insert game :V

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »
Without knowing much about game mechanics it's hard to have an opinion on it but it looks like you're doing a pretty smooth job with it so far programming wise. The isometric view with the walls becoming transparent seems to work well. The battle transition is neat too.

I'd suggest compressing your outside map, no need to have the road be 8 tiles wide and have such long sidewalks leading to your buildings. You want to cram as many locations on the screen as aesthetically possible, it helps players not get lost and helps you control space so the player can't avoid encounters so easily.

There are a few issues with your battle UI but most of them would be resolved by just moving the characters and enemies further down the screen so they're sitting above the lifebar and not crowding the text at the top. I'd also suggest swapping the position of the command wheel and the lifebars, it feels a bit weird to have your characters do stuff in the top left while you issue commands in the bottom right corner.

I can't help but notice that you say that the main character is you, and that every other character is male as well, so I presume these are your friends IRL? Just FYI you're gonna have a really hard time getting anyone to help you with a self-insert game :V

I know that, but it's being pretty difficult getting help on it, period. Consider the fact, too, that I was too lazy back then to come up with new characters :(
All these people were my best friends at the time of the video game's conception :/
(Bear in mind that that was 2006)
There are female characters in it, but still.

As for game mechanics, check here.

Regarding the battle UI thing, watch the linked video at the bottom. I've made some minor changes.
As for the wheel, I'm just more comfortable having it there, rather than on the left! I'll change it, though. I will have to flip the circle, too, however :/

Thanks for the comments, though! :D

~Shadows are Horrible Crap~
A Very Good Reminder Not To Let Enemies Have Free Reign Over Stat Debuff Spells
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:32:49 AM by Chisou Taizen »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:44 AM »
IT'S MAGIC TIME!

Well damn it then
I guess we might as well go and learn some

THERE WE GO.

There you are, Slime! Prepare to snack on my wrath!

NOOOOOOOOOOO

(slimes absorb water -_-)

So yes, then. All of the player's magic works now. You can buy them with Tech Points, which are gained by defeating enemies.
Items are next!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:22:08 AM »
Well, items were next.

Looks like now we've got magic use in the field.

Items are next this time, really!

...Or maybe the Bestiary instead.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Oooh, interesting~ I might be able to do some sprites.  :3 *salutes* I await for your command!
Oh, right. Although you might have to wait a week or two, while I'm waiting for my computer to get here.  :V

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »
Oooh, interesting~ I might be able to do some sprites.  :3 *salutes* I await for your command!
Oh, right. Although you might have to wait a week or two, while I'm waiting for my computer to get here.  :V

:o
Really? I was actually afraid I'd have to do almost everything myself D:

This project can wait, of course. It's been in production since 2006.

Despite this, all I need, really, would probably be the sprite sets for three party members and items.
Party members are 32x32 and items are 24x24 :/

Here's an example of part of the spriteset.
(Everything's blown up 2x)

What do you think?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
Here are some semi-final stat tables.

SURELY, I AM THE MASTER OF BALANCE. BV

This cues INCREDIBLE situations such as my White Mage full-healing everybody with the weakest spell, and my Black Mage TPKing the enemies in two shots.

Including what would be most bosses :ohdear:

I need to get this game to beta soon.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: Taizen Chisou Makes Video Games (Lots of photos)
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
I made a game for the Ludum Dare.
However, I didn't enter. There was too much to be done, and there was only five hours left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3XqaoAFnK8

Download the GM6 below:
http://www.host-a.net/u/Chisou/ludum.gm6

Requires registered for some drawing functions.
GM6 format because some people don't run XP anymore, so they'll have to open it in 8.0/8.1 instead

I realize most of you won't have Game Maker, but me making an EXE is a moot point anyway because GM6 doesn't work on Vista + Win 7.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
Lunacy Star Stage 4

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
I would have posted this this morning, but my librarian shut me down because I was taking screenshots.

Certainly this is Calm Mode.

Ahem!

Anyway, I've went and modified the scoring system.
In short, I am now ZUN!

Your Max Bonus is capable of increasing in one of four ways:

Clearing a stage (+4)
Killing 16 enemies (+1)
(Multiply the above bonuses by 2 if Standard, 3 if Rage, 4 if Lunacy.)

Capturing attacks (+1 Ea/St,  +2 Ra/Lu)

One Max Point is added for every 100 (Easy) bullets you graze, or 200 (Standard), or 300 or 400.

Bonus Time kills are multiplied not only by Bonus Time, but now by stage number!
In short, Stage 6 enemies with a Maxed Out Bonus Time (maybe around ~400) would earn you 1,800,000 points.
The Bonus Time Bonus itself would be worth 12,000,000.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
Lunacy Star was set down for some more progress on the RPG, albeit momentarily.

And I now have progress on my RPG!
Well, I would, if I could figure out how to make physical elemental attacks work. But I digress!

WHO'S THAT DOUCHEBAG

WHY ARE YOU THE WEAKEST BOSS IN THE WORLD

BULLSHIT