Author Topic: Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 - DOS Ist Gut, Ja?  (Read 27881 times)

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Re: Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 - DOS Ist Gut, Ja?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:12 PM »
The only controversies I'm aware of involve asshole individuals being assholes, though I admit I never actually watched the infamous Jak and Daxter run from Bonesaw. This is why I said what I said. You seem to be implying that GDQ, completely by their own volition and not at all at the recommendation of any of their sponsors, are bringing an inordinately large hammer down on people who swear on stream. If this is true, can you cite examples? I honestly hadn't heard of any. Like, I remember Linkus7 dropped "shit" at least once (I think it was twice) during his WWHD 100% run. Did he get in trouble for that?

If this is not what you are implying, can you clearly state what you are getting at, and provide examples of such?
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
You seem to be implying that GDQ, completely by their own volition and not at all at the recommendation of any of their sponsors, [...]

As a viewer, it's all the same to me.

Stop skipping my answers, please.

[...] are bringing an inordinately large hammer down on people who swear on stream. If this is true, can you cite examples? I honestly hadn't heard of any. Like, I remember Linkus7 dropped "shit" at least once (I think it was twice) during his WWHD 100% run. Did he get in trouble for that?

If this is not what you are implying, can you clearly state what you are getting at, and provide examples of such?

(Seriously, "damn" is too harsh nowadays, seriously?)

Covered up by coughs during Vice City run, even though it was in the in-game phonecall.

Seriously, stop spinning this like I'm against everything GDQ stuff does. There are no f-words and I can get behind that. But some decisions just start feeling ridiculous. Or is it forbidden to have opinions here?

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
You are free to continue appealing to emotion and making other statements that suggest you are not actually interested in a good-faith discussion, but do be aware I will not be dignifying them with direct address, and that the overwhelming majority of the people that read this thread will similarly not be baited. It is a waste of your time to continue them.

The "who's decision was it" is indeed important. If profanity muting is strictly a GDQ-as-an-organization decision, then certainly there are changes that could be suggested to make the situation better. But let's say PCF itself called for a muting of profanity. In that case, what's your proposed solution to the issue?

I had not heard about this alleged coughing censorship, as I caught maybe thirty seconds of the Vice City run. Is there evidence the coughing was an intentional profanity-censor, done at GDQ staff's behest, and not someone actually needing to cough, or people that knew what was coming having tongue-in-cheek fun with the run?
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
The "who's decision was it" is indeed important. If profanity muting is strictly a GDQ-as-an-organization decision, then certainly there are changes that could be suggested to make the situation better. But let's say PCF itself called for a muting of profanity. In that case, what's your proposed solution to the issue?

I'd expect GDQ to have at least some agency in whom to accept as sponsors, in which case they'd need to make a conscious decision to honor their demands.

But I guess I'll take a page out of your book and won't bother with any more answers since you

will not be dignifying them with direct address

Believe whatever you want.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
And if you think I'm overreacting here's an analogy. You come to a restaurant and order a pie of your favourite flavor. It's delicious but halfway through eating it you notice a metal bolt inside one piece. You throw it out and finish it. The pie is still delicious. But you'll forever remember the restaraunt as "the one where they put bolts in your pies" and feel like avoiding in in the future. Is this not a reasonable reaction? Is mentioning that metal bolt incident to your friends suddenly a faux pas?
That's... really harsh. It's just swear words. You're letting this get to you too much instead of just enjoying the marathon.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
That's... really harsh. It's just swear words. You're letting this get to you too much instead of just enjoying the marathon.

I did enjoy it for the most part. Just pointing out that that's an issue that exists and it baffles me. But looks like some people just can't deal with some harmless casual exagerration.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 08:11:23 PM »
Man, Super Mario Odyssey speedruns are so good. I don't usually enjoy speedruns because I don't want to watch people not play video games and just clip and skip past everything interesting, but I do want to see someone use crazy intended movement options to skip stuff. That trick where you jump out of a capture, leave Cappy floating in the air, send Mario off to grab a moon off the side of a platform, and then release Cappy to re-capture the enemy to teleport Mario back up to where he was is super impressive. Would never have occurred to me to try that, but it makes sense.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Drake

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2019, 06:44:32 AM »
though I admit I never actually watched the infamous Jak and Daxter run from Bonesaw
It was actually pretty funny at the time I recommend it

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »
Man, Super Mario Odyssey speedruns are so good.
The movement tech in SMO is crazy. You can beat the game with standard moves but you can also go nuts and get around all sorts of obstacles with advanced stuff. Cramming all the fancy tricks into a speedrun results in a 3+ hour highlight reel of insane stunts from start to finish.

Lobby and I still have like 10 hours of stuff to watch and we've been going through the YouTube vids for nearly two weeks.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Couldn't find the video quickly enough back then, but I'd still want to ask the "GDQ bans are justified" crowd to comment on this.

Suwako Moriya

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 02:39:43 PM »
Somehow, the 15-minute video reminding me I should be mad didn't change my opinion

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
lol

...Assuming ill-will out of nowhere again, are you? You're not obligated to post anything if you have nothing to say, you know.

I'm just posting it here because that's what caused me to be suspicious and it sounds reasonable enough. I'm open to pointing out flaws in that reasoning or significant facts that were left out.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 11:36:43 PM »
This seems very bait, do I bite it and go into very big details over it?

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2019, 03:52:22 AM »
This seems very bait, do I bite it and go into very big details over it?

Nah.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2019, 03:53:54 AM »
I mean, if you really want to, I won't stop you. (Particularly since I imagine you of all people on this forum are privy to lesser-known GDQ info.) But the only people that are going to have any sympathy for the whiny transphobes and entitled MAGA chuds in that video are, well, other whiny transphobes and other entitled MAGA chuds. It's probably not worth the effort.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
The thing is, I see these claims thrown around, but I've also seen info that those people apologized and moved on. Yet the other side never takes that into account and acts like people can't ever change their ways. This is sickening, but that's why I say I'm open to new info that might prove this to not be the case. Feel free to share it privately or not at all, this is just for my personal interest.

Or maybe I'm too much of an optimist, and those whose views are that certain people are toxic and can't possibly change are the ones that are toxic and refuse to change. I've seen projection enough times to recognize it.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2019, 12:17:04 PM »
Sure, Jan.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:06 PM »
I mean, if you really want to, I won't stop you. (Particularly since I imagine you of all people on this forum are privy to lesser-known GDQ info.) But the only people that are going to have any sympathy for the whiny transphobes and entitled MAGA chuds in that video are, well, other whiny transphobes and other entitled MAGA chuds. It's probably not worth the effort.

Just to elaborate upon this, PX has actually been at GDQ as a runner; hence his qualification to talk about such matters above anyone else.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
...Well? Nothing? Welp, whatever, then. Way to teach me about trying to get the story from both sides.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »
...Well? Nothing? Welp, whatever, then. Way to teach me about trying to get the story from both sides.
Perhaps your mistake was to expect useful input in the first place.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:54 AM »
[redacted for unnecessary hostility]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:24:16 PM by Suwako Moriya »
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:13 AM »
I'm not. It's just that their side is the only one I've seen, and I came here asking for the other. But seems like not knowing it already is a crime in and of itself here.

Like, I've looked into other bans, and they're completely understandable. I only have questions about these. But the prejudice I keep seeing thrown my way for nothing makes me more and more skeptical. You people are your own worst enemy.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »
snip

Let's not do this, please.

snip

Dude. You linked a 15-minute video about (a) a group of MAGA chuds making a coordinated effort to flaunt the "no politics" rules to get a pro-Trump message out and then skirt one particular dude by on a technicality that because he didn't actually put one of the hats on his head he should be allowed to get off scot-free, as if he had no idea what all of his friends were doing, and (b) complaining about/making fun of not just GDQ, but Twitch itself taking steps to remove transphobic emote memes. Setting aside the fact that you do not appear to have done any critical thinking whatsoever about the possibility that the maker of that video might have some sort of agenda and may not have told the entire story regarding the MAGA squad, you literally watched someone complain about people no longer being allowed to be transphobic and went "hmm, yes, this seems like a perfectly reasonable grievance to air". If you are incapable of forming the most obvious of reasonable conclusions on your own, the rest of us are not going to do it for you. I should not have even needed to write this much and I honestly feel dirty that I have. That video is not worth a tenth of the words presented here.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Setting aside the fact that you do not appear to have done any critical thinking whatsoever about the possibility that the maker of that video might have some sort of agenda and may not have told the entire story regarding the MAGA squad [...]

I have. THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING FOR A FULLER STORY FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG, DAMN IT! Everything you pointed out is obvious to you because you know the context. I don't because I don't follow USA politics or Twitch dramas. THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING FOR THAT CONTEXT. All I have to go from is that video. and it presents its points well, but I did get a feeling it diverts attention from some aspects of what happened. SO THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING YOU TO EXPLAIN THEM. Yet all I get can be summed up pretty much as:

Me: "Please explain the story behind this."
Y'all: "HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ABOUT IT, GO EDUCATE YOURSELF"

There are a lot of people on the fence about controversial matters. And you're not gonna win them over if you're gonna treat them like that. But videos like that will.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:58:05 PM by CyberAngel »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
Ugh. Fine. Whatever. Talking about this makes me feel sick. You win. And I'm a dumbass who can't put two and two together. Go ahead, pat yourself on the back for blowing off a retard. I don't care anymore.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Ugh. Fine. Whatever. Talking about this makes me feel sick. You win. And I'm a dumbass who can't put two and two together. Go ahead, pat yourself on the back for blowing off a retard. I don't care anymore.

You don't have to put guilt-trip icing on the "I went on an internet forum and yelled at random people I've never met that they should be angrier, and they didn't want to debate me!" cake. But... yes, please stop. We've given you the answers we have. Any hesitation was honestly because the lead-up looked like willful ignorance as to why we weren't incensed, and the 15-minute video was absurdly flimsy "evidence" showing pretty much exactly why it was these people were removed. If you don't follow USA politics, I'd best summarize it as "it's people yelling 'free speech' and 'censorship' when they don't get to say literally anything they want on what is now a family program".

Anyways. Let's move on.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
"I went on an internet forum and yelled at random people I've never met that they should be angrier, and they didn't want to debate me!"

Yeah, because this forum is actually a closed club of real-life friends, and for someone who doesn't kiss up to the bigwigs to expect being given the time of day is totally unreasonable. Sorry, I keep forgetting that.

But sure, keep misinterpreting what I say, don't give me any good faith, toss confusing non-answers my way, insult and threaten me to your heart's content. This toxic atmosphere is so healthy and I really enjoy being showered in it. Such a silly idea - giving a chance to listening to others and expecting the same in return.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:02:29 PM by CyberAngel »

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
confusing non-answers

I'm genuinely attempting to be as clear and polite as I can. There's no malice intended in this. I have no secret vendetta or agenda here. And, I mean... being a "bigwig" here is not exactly any sort of major world influence as it is.

We're trying. We're not trying to insult or threaten or be toxic (though I have let my anger get the better of me and I've gotten a bit snarky, I will wholly admit). If you're genuinely being majorly distressed by this conversation, it's not benefiting any of us to continue it. There's no ill will here from me at the least, and you have my sincere apologies if I give off that vibe. It's not my intent. I will absolutely concede I was too dismissive to start with, but it was because I was afraid it would snowball into... well, this.