Author Topic: Coding Curiosity  (Read 2008 times)

Coding Curiosity
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
Is there a real difference between the code language in the 0.12m version of Danmakufu, and the ph3 one?

fondue

• excuse me
Re: Coding Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
0.12m has different functions and stuff to ph3. It can also slow time and such while ph3 works well with functions, and it's updated. Hopefully someone more experienced with Dnh than me can explain it better.

To ask these type of questions please post them in the general Q&A threads.

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
There isn't a real obvious difference, but ph3 has much more flexibility, is more streamlined, and has quite a bit more functions 0.12m didn't have. Of course, there isn't anything that you couldn't do in 0.12m, albeit probably with more difficulties than ph3 depending on your goal. Ph3 also doesn't nearly have as many hard coded things that 0.12m had. There are some things that ph3 does not presently have that 0.12m had, however, the website states that they are planning on implementing them eventually.

If you mean the syntax, the framework is slightly different, but the coding is almost identical. Identical enough that you could follow 0.12m tutorials fairly easily, barring the framework and function names (and to an extent, player scripts)

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
but the coding is almost identical. Identical enough that you could follow 0.12m tutorials fairly easily, barring the framework and function names (and to an extent, player scripts)
Thank you. It's enough clear for me :).

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »
At a high level, the languages are pretty similar. The syntax is about the same and most of the basic built in functions behave the same. When you really get into it though, you'll find yourself organizing your code completely differently. This is because ph3 uses objects much more than 0.12m does. ph3 also does not differentiate between different types of scripts. In my opinion, 0.12m is more beginner friendly, though that might just be because there are more tutorials for it.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Drake

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
0.12 is more beginner-friendly because beginners can't grasp objects and threads. It's easier for people not experienced in programming to visualize one main program loop with incrementing variables and ifforwhile program flow than yielding off and juggling objects. That being said, 0.12 does deal with objects and threads, but it isn't nearly as fundamental so people aren't as scared of it, I guess. Having tutorials is a bonus but I keep telling people that you can learn both in the same way

Also "there isn't anything you couldn't do in 0.12" is very misleading because it assumes you have the patience to work out retarded problems that should otherwise have easy solutions and have the time to actually script that retarded solution out.
Plus there's sort of the actual inability of the engine to let you access specific things that ph3 now lets you; it is a scripting language run on an engine that has its own limitations, after all.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -