~Bunbunmaru News~ > Ask a *Blank* Archive
Entry 23 - Still More Staffers To Go Through - Esifex
<< < (2/16) > >>
MatsuriSakuragi:
Wanna trade states with me? It's been years since I've seen the ocean. :<

This might sound stupid, but how exactly does massage therapy work? I've never really looked into it.
Janitor Morgan:
How are your talks with Panera Bread going?

Have you constructed any mental barriers recently (I forget exactly how you used to refer to it)? Why or why not?
Esifex:
For your listening pleasure.

--- Quote from: Sakura Kyouko on July 21, 2011, 07:47:08 PM ---Where does your interest in the supernatural come from? (Pardon me if you dislike that term for whatever reason.)

Do you prefer reading books on paper, or do you prefer reading them electronically? Why?

--- End quote ---

Supernatural is a perfectly valid way to put it. As of right now, heightened mental capacity is just manifesting as an unsually high IQ, or exceptional skill at logical concepts like math and science.
However, for the lot of the readers who don't know precisely what you're hinting at, the spiritual side of the supernatural intrigues me greatly because of my own history with it. When I was four years old, I was ran over by a mini-van. I temporarily blacked out, as did my brother. A moment later, I recall seeing me drag myself halfway out from under the minivan before the girl who was driving it pulled me the rest of the way out - then my mother came running out of the house and took me into her arms. At this point I began to see out of my own eyes, again, no longer seeing myself. This is also when my brother came around, again, too - later I came to find out that he was my vantage point. The angles that I'd been seeing the incident occur from corresponded to where he was standing when it happened.
I believe this kept me from being fully anchored to my own body - I have an easier time relaxing than most people (and being a massage therapist, I can say that objectively, because I know how hard a lot of people find it to relax) and can let a comfortable 'floating' sensation take over my mind. While I'm doing this, I have a much greater feel for the people around me - how they're feeling, what they're thinking, what they're doing. This also passively manifests in my translating of foreign languages into English when I hear them, or regular episodes of deja'vu. I'd personally like to hone those last two traits - precognition would be nice, and being able to be a natural translator would give me a great sense of self-worth, being able to bridge the gap between language barriers. Unfortunately, I don't honestly know how to 'train' these abilities, as I can't force them to work - focusing on it tends to shut it down immediately. Suddenly I'll have heard half a sentence in English, the rest in Spanish, and no longer know what is being said. Trying to remember further along in my deja'vu makes it end prematurely, and I feel like I just woke up from a dream.

As for books? A paper medium or an electronic medium are all the same to me - as long as I can read it, I'm happy. My collection of paperback books will always be a fond memory for me, even though I've already donated all of them to the local library to resell - they are what really contributed to me being who I am. Nowadays, though, I'm very pleased with my nook and its functionality, and the fact that I am literally carrying an entire library with me in a small, three-pound tablet that has a screen that almost perfectly imitates natural paper. Reading on a computer monitor is much the same - otherwise I wouldn't've ended up becoming a Librarian, if I didn't read practically every story that was posted when I'd arrived.
A story is a story. If it's written on paper, shot into my eyes by photons of light, scratched into a stone, painted onto a canvas, or told to me orally, it's still a story, and it'll still hold my attention. Stories are entirely new worlds, fantastic places to explore your imagination, and to see where you can go in your mind.

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 21, 2011, 07:50:23 PM ---Where'd you get the name "Esifex" from?
--- End quote ---

A technique I picked up way long ago from a blog post in an old webcomic about how the author named his characters - he'd just punch two letters at random on his keyboard, and pick a vowel to go between them. Instead, I took the three-letter name method and expanded it. Since I love music, and good sounds in general (I love a good wind chime), I picked the letters SFX - 'sound effects'. If you take those three letters and spell them out, you get Esifex!

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 21, 2011, 07:50:23 PM ---What made you decide to study massage therapy?

--- End quote ---

What made me decide? A period of great depression in my life where I had no clue who I was, what I was worth, where I was going in life, and I began to frantically search for any measure of skill I had that I could identify with. I very nearly destroyed a friendship that I cherish greatly during this period of time, but because of her patience, I managed to get through it safely and realized that I have a good, caring heart that enjoys helping people feel better, and a natural talent for touch. I'd been working on my parents' backs since I was a wee lad, and continued to do so into my mid-teenage years. I decided, 'okay, I'm good enough without training to NOT cripple my parents. I may as well learn how to do it right, so I can get paid for it.'
So, I started sending out for information to a bunch of local schools, and ended up taking a tour of a small, simple school not more than twenty minutes away from where I lived, and fell in love with the environment and the people that were part of the trade.

--- Quote from: Tengukami on July 21, 2011, 07:51:28 PM ---When did you know that you wanted to write?
--- End quote ---

When I was in second grade. I picked up reading before I went into kindergarten, and always loved the stories that I could dig up in my brothers' old box of books. They were, of course, mostly picture books at the time, but I always had a book in my hands at home. I spent hours at night reading with Mom, stumbling all over the words until I got them right, and then telling Mom to stay on the couch while I ran and got another book, and would repeat the process until I eventually fell asleep. Stories were my life. In second grade, I was going to a private Lutheran school, and learned how to write in cursive. Before then, I couldn't be bothered to write, because the scar on my arm messed up my fine-motor control and I had very atrocious hand-writing - which, to this day, has barely improved. But suddenly, I had this fancy, loopy writing under my control, and I could make pretty letters! It was time to take those letters and put them together to make words, and take those words and put them together to make sentences, and to take those sentences and put them together and make the best stories I could think of. I followed up by volunteering to re-enact, but mostly just read, Dr. Suess stories to the kindergarteners and pre-schoolers, doing my best to share my love of stories with them. In the fifth grade, I won a silly little prize for writing a short-story involving a terraforming dome on Mars based around the polar caps. I was a nerd, even back then. Of course, having both parents be avid Trekkies didn't hurt.

--- Quote from: Tengukami on July 21, 2011, 07:51:28 PM ---Best part about being a Librarian? Worst part?
--- End quote ---

Being able to help people with their stories via proofreading and summarizing. Feels good, man. As for the worst part? Being a Librarian, period, when I'm dealing with writer's block. I could really do without that sense of guilt and hypocrisy.

--- Quote from: Tengukami on July 21, 2011, 07:51:28 PM ---What was the proudest moment of your life?
--- End quote ---

Honestly? I can't remember, or think of one. And yes, that does make me as sad as you'd think it would.

--- Quote from: Tengukami on July 21, 2011, 07:51:28 PM ---Who is America's greatest president ever?

--- End quote ---

When it comes to Presidents, I typify the American education system. I don't even remember who we had before Clinton - and this is another saddening and shaming revelation for me, especially considering that I took JROTC in high school, and the Presidents were a major part of the history we went over.
The President with the greatest name, though, I can remember this - GROVER CLEVELAND :V

--- Quote from: Iryan on July 21, 2011, 07:54:09 PM ---What do you consider your great achievement in life? Similarly, what do you consider your greatest failure?

--- End quote ---

As mentioned above when Ammy asked, I can't honestly remember what my proudest moment is. Objectively speaking, the greatest part of my life so far has been taking the initiative to sign up for going to Massage school on my own free will, without having to be told or commanded by anyone else. I would say 'all the times I've helped my friends get through a tough spot in their lives,' but like Ruro, I feel that if I'm not doing that, I'm not worth an ego.
My greatest failure? Unfortunately, escapism played a very large part of my interest in the paranormal, and I've locked a lot of that stuff away in my mind, and to be honest, I don't like dwelling on it, even now. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this question.

--- Quote from: Mami Tomatsuri on July 21, 2011, 07:56:06 PM ---Wanna trade states with me? It's been years since I've seen the ocean. :<
--- End quote ---

YESYESYESYESYESYES I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE BUT YES GET ME OUT OF FLORIDA GOD YES

--- Quote from: Mami Tomatsuri on July 21, 2011, 07:56:06 PM ---This might sound stupid, but how exactly does massage therapy work? I've never really looked into it.

--- End quote ---

The therapist simply makes touch-contact with the clients' body. This causes an immediate response in the client's body, in accord with their mind, that brings their attention to the point of contact. If there is any tension there, the client's body recognizes and acknowledges it, and begins to heal.
At the same time, the therapist is performing sweeping, rolling motions across the skin, stimulating and promoting bloodflow. Improved circulation leads to an improved immune system, more energy, and a better sense of relaxation.
There are a lot of different modalities, or techniques, that are used for specific situations - for example, Deep Tissue Massage (the single modality most likely to scare people away from massage) is painful in the process, and will oftentimes leave the client a little sore afterwards - ESPECIALLY if the client ignores the therapist and doesn't take a hot shower soon afterwards - but is also the single most effective treatment for deep-muscle contusions and restrictions. It literally involves pushing through the muscle fibers laying over an afflicted spot to get directly to the 'knot'. It is not a pleasant experience if you don't know whats coming, especially since it usually makes the client tense up - which instantly undoes any work the therapist has done and makes it ten times harder to work on the tension.
A muscle that is working cannot physically relax. It's not possible.

--- Quote from: rdjuugi Hoshiguma on July 21, 2011, 07:57:54 PM ---How are your talks with Panera Bread going?

--- End quote ---

Still in limbo, but I'm still harassing the crap out of them and making sure they know I exist. I WANT TO MAKE BAGUETTES DAMMIT

--- Quote from: rdjuugi Hoshiguma on July 21, 2011, 07:57:54 PM ---Have you constructed any mental barriers recently (I forget exactly how you used to refer to it)? Why or why not?

--- End quote ---

With the exception of the on-going battle against my own sex-drive and unbridled anger issues, no. The rest of the fragmentation I've done to my own mind was unpleasant enough - the memory loss, the delicate temperament, and the straight change in personality is not something I intend to intentionally put myself through again. I resist my sex-drive and hormones for personal reasons, that mostly stem from an utter distaste for the people in my generation around me - and while yes, I know that wherever I go, there are GOING to be dumb people who are reckless and treat their bodies with complete irreverence, there is just such a large concentration of them in Florida that I'm actually saddened by it. This may also have something to do with my rage issues - both the self-inflicted sexual frustration and being surrounded by idiots.
Esifex:
By the way - I wasn't kidding when I said I could be long-winded.
Aya Squawkermaru:
Wow, the song ended just before I finished reading all that. Good timing. :V

Yeah, my mom works as a receptionist at a massage-therapy place, and she's picked up a few things. The thing with the soaz (no idea how to spell it) is super painful.  :ohdear:

Anyway. Are there any aspects of the supernatural that you still don't believe?

What is your opinion on the Touhou fandom's desire to relationship anyone and everyone?
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version