~Bunbunmaru News~ > Ask a *Blank* Archive
Ask a Staffer Catch-22: Ask me things! Sakura Rurouni
<< < (27/27)
Gappy:
1. Legs, Empire, strawberries, camera, Shiki, justice, PSL, photograph, X, love, tuna, cape, red, write, Samurai, cute, nudes with capes, Sakura, White Rose, Sango - what order would you put these words in? (does not have to be order of importance , etc. Just what you would do with these words)

2. If you got one wish in exchange for becoming a magical girl, what would you wish for?
Alfred F. Jones:

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on July 20, 2011, 09:06:58 AM ---When did you start to become worldly-minded? That is, when did you start to pay attention to what happened in the world at large?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Very young.
Regular: Well, my parents always raised me on stories, telling me about the military dictatorships in Latin America and told me about the PRI's continued dominance in Mexico. But I do remember distinctly the first moment I started seeing the world show up in front of me. In 1998, I was in the second grade, and my Thai teacher liked to keep us intrigued in the world around us. One day, she came into our classroom and without a word she marched to the board and pulled down the world map, then pointed at Yugoslavia and said "some very bad things are happening here. Please wish for the best for these people and hope that it ends soon."

That stands out, but it wasn't a permanent awakening. Three years later, there was the September 11th attacks, and after a while of interest, I closed my eyes again.

However, in the 6th grade, when I entered IB, our homeroom teacher asked us to write reports on news stories. The school got the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News for free, so I picked up a copy of the Denver Post and brought it home, and did my paper that very night (first night I ever stayed up until midnight working on homework, as I recall). I was looking desperately for something interesting to report on, and I found a bit of news tucked away in the small international news section-- people escaping from fighting in Cote d'Ivore. And it struck me as weird; people were being uprooted, probably a lot of kids my age where they were leaving the only home they'd ever known, and yet it was such a short article. That made no sense to me.

It was a rather strange way to keep my eyes open to the world for good, but I started reading the newspaper every day since, trying to learn more about the world that are reduced to small clips in the back of the paper.

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on July 20, 2011, 09:06:58 AM ---What is the longest you've ever stayed up?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: A little over 48 hours.
Regular: Around the time of IB exams, the relentless studying and testing was too much to review in such a short amount of time to take any kind of a break. After the second test was over, I came home and crashed and didn't wake up until late the next day. Good thing there were no tests or classes that day for me!

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on July 20, 2011, 09:06:58 AM ---Have you ever openly cried while reading a fanfic?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: If tears of mirth count, then My Immortal.
Regular: I think I have, once or twice. Rising Star was one of them.

--- Quote from: Sakanamoto-san on July 20, 2011, 09:30:33 AM ---Ruro, post that essay on fanfiction again in the Writer's Corner, it's good. Never got the obsession of fans with turning all relationships romantic myself, at least not to the extent it's often done.
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Heh, sure thing. Just needs some editing~

--- Quote from: Sakanamoto-san on July 20, 2011, 09:30:33 AM ---And for the purpose of the thread:
Five steps to making MotK a better place (especially as a *Touhou* forum) ?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Hmm.
Regular: More suggestions than steps.
1. Finish the proper Let's Tour MotK so new members have a guide to getting around and knowing people
2. Doing more group projects, like a doujinshi. (I worked on Another Dream, so this shouldn't be very surprising.)
3. Along the same lines, more giving. Our Christmas charity contest and our tsunami relief efforts, for all the flak we get from the other Touhou fansites, set us apart as the most generous Touhou fanbase hub in the western Touhou community.
4. Encourage productivity, and at the same time don't look down upon those who just want to have fun with their friends.
5. Stop caring about our reputation so damn much, and just do our own creative things. Reputation comes with achievements, not before.

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 20, 2011, 02:46:39 PM ---When you said you were preparing an essay, I didn't expect you to be so thorough. You've done a great job answering both my questions with what you've said.
--- End quote ---
Laconic: No problem. It's something I've had my mind on for a while.

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 20, 2011, 02:46:39 PM ---What are your thoughts on the relations between CPMC and the rest of the forum?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: I think we tend to overcomplicate it.
Regular: The reason I never said much at all in the PTA board about the most recent CPMC organization was because I thought we (staffers) were overcomplicating everything. Clearly something was broken, but I was much more in favour of asking our users what they would like to see done, and then holding them to it if they asked us why we were being so harsh. But as Aya put it in MoF, "belonging to a group means that sometimes, you don't get to have your way." Molding it in a way that we feel is good might actually be the right way to go, but ignoring our users until after the change has been implemented isn't very cool at all.

But however it happened, CPMC has been cracked open for new people to come in more easily, and now it's a lot less insular. I very much enjoy that, even if I can't bring myself to start threads there (too much attention being drawn to myself). If we could stop having grand visions of what we'd like our users to conform to, that'd be swell.

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 20, 2011, 02:46:39 PM ---Which do you prefer for photography: film or digital?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Digital.
Regular: My high school had a photography class and a darkroom; I got to develop film in there from time to time. It's such a lengthy process, and film and negatives aren't very flexible to use. Film is fun, but digital is just more practical nowadays.

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 20, 2011, 02:46:39 PM ---Any musical genres you DON'T like?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Reggaeton.
Regular: Too bad, since I find that I like the beats and a lot of the instrumentals. But the lyrics have a bad tendency to be misogynistic, violence-glorifying bullshit.

--- Quote from: The Aquatic Colossal on July 20, 2011, 02:46:39 PM ---You've mentioned your interest in transhumanism before; would you alter your body if it meant you could run again?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Absolutely.

--- Quote from: Esifex on July 20, 2011, 03:46:12 PM ---How shapely do they have to be to be worthy of this reaction? :derp:
--- End quote ---
Regular: Damnit, I turned this on in class on a really high volume and people looked at me weird! D:

--- Quote from: Esifex on July 20, 2011, 03:46:12 PM ---What instruments do you just completely like the sound of, or would absolutely love to learn how to play?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Piano.
Regular: Technically, I already know how to play. I just wish I had the motivation to shake off years of atrophied skill and start it again.

--- Quote from: theshim on July 20, 2011, 03:57:46 PM ---Thank you. Thank you so much. It's one of the draws of the series for me - that ZUN managed to make a popular series with dozens of characters and KEPT SEX OUT OF IT.
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Sakura Rurouni, saving the Touhou fandom, one essay at a time!

--- Quote from: theshim on July 20, 2011, 03:57:46 PM ---Everyone always asks about the worst, but what is the best moment you can recall from MotK?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: \o/
Regular: I had long since wondered if it would be possible to create a community in one of the subforums that hardly got any attention. The almost overnight formation of the PSL community proved that to be possible. And I have the Library Catalog project to thank. It allowed me to make friends with a whole lot of people I had only ever seen in passing, and has become a devoted network of friends. One of the best things that's ever happened to me.

--- Quote from: theshim on July 20, 2011, 03:57:46 PM ---Who would you most enjoy being paired with in Aya's S2?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Gappy.
Regular: May the manliest woman win. 8)

--- Quote from: Killer Purvis on July 20, 2011, 04:26:47 PM ---What's your preferred bible translation?
--- End quote ---
Regular: It doesn't have an English equivalent (unless NIV is it), but I like la Biblia de las Am?ricas.

--- Quote from: Tomatsuri Daidouji on July 20, 2011, 04:35:56 PM ---If you could visit any fictional world/universe/etc, which would it be?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Gensokyo.
Regular: Even though my chances of survival are a lot higher in the world of The Twelve Kingdoms, I wouldn't pass up a chance to visit Gensokyo for anything.

--- Quote from: Tomatsuri Daidouji on July 20, 2011, 04:35:56 PM ---What scent do you find to be most pleasant?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Fresh rain.
Regular: Lavender is horrible, patchouli is also disgusting. (Not Patchurry, patchouli.) Rose scent, which I keep in a bottle on my desk, is very strong and dizzying, and strawberry is very nice. But next to the scent of a fresh ocean breeze, which I get to smell once every five years or so, nothing beats the scent of a coming rain.

--- Quote from: Tomatsuri Daidouji on July 20, 2011, 04:35:56 PM ---Who is a character you'd really like to use in your writing, but haven't had the opportunity to do so yet?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Sanae, in spades.
Regular: Akyu, Keine, and Aya too, but it's Sanae that I would really like to write.

--- Quote from: Tomatsuri Daidouji on July 20, 2011, 04:35:56 PM ---What is a question you hoped someone would have asked this past week, but was never brought up? What is the answer?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: "Why do you like bandages so much?"
Regular: And the answer- "It's a fetish. As far as fetishes go, it really doesn't have any kind of logical explanation, but I think of it like this. Bandages similtaneously indicate injury and healing. I like contrasts. And in my eyes, I would be okay with getting injured for someone I love so long as they bandaged me up afterwards."

--- Quote from: theshim on July 20, 2011, 04:40:08 PM ---Have you ever read it in the original, for that matter?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Which half?
Regular: The Pentateuch, for starters, is in Hebrew. But the Pauline Epistles in the second half of the Christian Bible are in Greek. Either way, I'm pretty sure I have. (These are Hebrew-Spanish and Greek-Spanish Bibles, yes. I have a kickass family library here.)

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 20, 2011, 04:47:39 PM ---Also, so glad to see I'm not the only one who believes that the things that happen in Touhou can happen because of friendship, not romance. The overly-romanced version of Touhou that the fandom seems to idolize just pisses me off.
--- End quote ---
Regular: What gets me is that it's so shoehorned in. While most other series at least play lip service to romantic possibilities (even Seihou does it more than Touhou!), Touhou is devoid of all that, except with the implications that surround Suwako's past, and even then, nothing is stated except the occasional marriage in the background (the Watatsukis, Mokou's dad). Relationshipping has always seemed like such a strange thing to do in this fandom; it strikes me as the fans projecting their own ideas onto the story with no basis in canon. Don't get me wrong; I like that, and I think it's fun to experiment with pairings too, and I have nothing against desecrating canon for the heck of it. But when so many writers and fanartists ignore the mere possibility of relationships that aren't romantic (or familial), I think we've gone too far.
Laconic: My favourite tag on Danbooru is 'friends'. It strikes me as criminal that there are so few pictures under that tag.

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 20, 2011, 04:47:39 PM ---Out of the Touhou characters that you're either neutral about or only slightly like or dislike, who do you think is the most interesting?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: If they're neutral in my eyes, that means I probably don't find them interesting.
Regular: Well, there is one. Youmu. I know this sounds like heresy, but she honestly doesn't seem all that deep to me; I see her mostly as a foil for Yuyuko to play with. But a lot of writers have done some really cool things with her. I think her devotion schtick can get overplayed, but she still manages to be ruthless enough for me to slightly like her.

--- Quote from: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ <(Contract?) on July 20, 2011, 09:05:17 PM ---1. Legs, Empire, strawberries, camera, Shiki, justice, PSL, photograph, X, love, tuna, cape, red, write, Samurai, cute, nudes with capes, Sakura, White Rose, Sango - what order would you put these words in? (does not have to be order of importance , etc. Just what you would do with these words)
--- End quote ---
Laconic: I would write a Librarian fic.
Regular: No, really. I think you've given me some fun ideas here. :3

--- Quote from: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ <(Contract?) on July 20, 2011, 09:05:17 PM ---2. If you got one wish in exchange for becoming a magical girl, what would you wish for?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: I would wish to be purged of my emotions forever.
Regular: Ironically, this might actually work as a wish. That, or becoming a magical girl in and of itself, in perpetuity.

Last call for questions, I think. Gonna wrap this up for the next thread to start.
Aya Squawkermaru:
Yeah, a lot of relationshipping reflects another aspect of the fandom that annoys me: flanderization. Like, how people love to ship Marisa and Patchouli because Marisa steals Patchouli's books and they were a team in SA. Really, people?

I know you're not fond of the text adventure format, but if you were a Parser, who would be the subject of your quest?

What is a trait of yours that you believe is often overlooked, if any?

What would you recommend when writing a character that doesn't have much in the way of canon? For instance, I don't think there's much canon about, say, Nazrin. I could be wrong, but that was just an example.

Kero?
Alfred F. Jones:

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 21, 2011, 06:09:33 AM ---Yeah, a lot of relationshipping reflects another aspect of the fandom that annoys me: flanderization. Like, how people love to ship Marisa and Patchouli because Marisa steals Patchouli's books and they were a team in SA. Really, people?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Reducing characters to just one trait or the other is bad on principle.
Regular: BUT DON'T YOU SEE THAT THEIR TEAM-UP IS EVIDENCE OF THEIR UNDYING LUST FOR ONE ANOTHER?? Ignore this.

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 21, 2011, 06:09:33 AM ---I know you're not fond of the text adventure format, but if you were a Parser, who would be the subject of your quest?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Koishi.
Regular: Or Utsuho or Kasen. I am not clever enough to prefer games of wit over just beating the shit out of someone (Koishi's mental manipulation notwithstanding), so I like high-powered characters. Makes the dilemma of the excessive use of violence so much more viable.

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 21, 2011, 06:09:33 AM ---What is a trait of yours that you believe is often overlooked, if any?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: My abysmal self-esteem, probably.
Regular: Except unlike the usual, this is entirely intentional on my part. People finding out about how I believe I have absolutely no self-worth unless I help people isn't something I like them to discover, because they will jump down my throat talking about how I absolutely need self-worth. No, I don't want it and I don't need it. What good is self-worth if it's not used to help others? I can help other people as I am, so it's not something I think or care about.

Another trait would also be how nervous I am around new people. I hate offending people, since that leads to fights, but you'd never think it given how loud and obnoxious I can come off as (I'm an ENFP, on the Meyers-Briggs test, but that doesn't mean I don't care about people being turned off by my flamboyant style). Whenever people mention that they've been put off by something I've done, I go into overdrive "oh god what did I do please forgive me :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: " mode.

Actually, I take all that back. The trait I have that is most often overlooked is how incredibly secretive I am. This is paradoxically accomplished by being as open as possible. When you're open and up-front about a lot of things, it never occurs to people that you might be heading off their suspicions. Reading the mood is very conducive to this, since reflecting people's emotions back at them is a very good way to handle situations in which you don't know how to respond.

And yes, this is the one and only time, online and off, that I have confessed to being so much more secretive than I ever appear. If someone asks in exact words, I have to tell them the truth no matter what-- so deterrence and not raising suspicions is the best thing to do so that they don't ever think to ask.

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 21, 2011, 06:09:33 AM ---What would you recommend when writing a character that doesn't have much in the way of canon? For instance, I don't think there's much canon about, say, Nazrin. I could be wrong, but that was just an example.
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Make shit up Observe.
Regular: Do what you can with what canon you've been given-- extrapolate from a lot of it. But if there legitimately isn't much to go on (a whole lot of PC-98 characters fall into this category, as well as a few of the first stage bosses, and background characters), then I would just put up a disclaimer that you've done the best you can, and this is just your interpretation of the character.

--- Quote from: Squawkers on July 21, 2011, 06:09:33 AM ---Kero?
--- End quote ---
Laconic: Unyu?

Right, that's it for me this week. I hope I answered everyone's question to their satisfaction, and I look forward to interacting with you all on the rest of the forums!
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version