Author Topic: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors  (Read 25520 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 12:59:30 AM »
In fact you could probably extend it and even say
Spoiler:
Seven faked losing his memories so he had an excuse for not recognizing Ace immediately. The only thing is if that was true I don't see why they wouldn't reveal it to the reader at the end.
I interpret that more as
Spoiler:
Seven just smiling to himself knowing he'd done his job right and knowing that now Junpei was figuring the truth out. Note that we see him smiling just after Junpei realises his statement about Akane dying 9 years ago was a lie.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:32 AM »
I interpret that more as
Spoiler:
Seven just smiling to himself knowing he'd done his job right and knowing that now Junpei was figuring the truth out. Note that we see him smiling just after Junpei realises his statement about Akane dying 9 years ago was a lie.
Oh true that.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 03:49:31 AM »
Also, to anyone who's finished the game: Watch the previews. Pay close attention to what doors are shown. Slam your head into the wall when you realise the game was showing you how to get the best endings the whole fucking time.
Wait a minute, I think each preview is only showing the doors of the path you just beat, so it's not really a clue.

Spoiler:
Preview one iirc is from coffin end and shows 471. Preview two is safe end and shows 586.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 08:55:32 AM »
So here's the main gist of my theory:
Spoiler:
The entire second game is faked, and the only person not in on it is Junpei. Think Ever17, minus all the 4D madness.

I just got done finishing the True End and your post has been bugging me for awhile, so I feel like posting my own spin on things.
Spoiler:
I don't think it's all fake. I can't really explain the morphic field/time loop heebie jeebies but I can at least poke at what I think is wrong.

Spoiler:
Think about it. Why does everyone conveniently have a story to tell about the morphogenetic field? Worst of all, Lotus - the woman who at one point in the True Ending starts screaming about not knowing what the hell is going on - gives Junpei JUST the right information. The experiment from Sheldrake, for one, and more decisively the explanation on prosopagnosia which leads to him solving the murders in the Safe ending.
Spoiler:
Everyone has some sort of angle for knowing about the morphogenetic field, Ice-9 and related topics. Lotus is a rather unusual case, I'll admit, doubling up with Sheldrake's Experiment and prosopagnosia, but I wouldn't call it fake. Consider:

o In the Safe Ending she mentions that she used to work in Cybersecurity. There's no surprise that she'd just be well-read or have an eccentric interest in the occult/obscure.
o Her children were also abducted for the Nonary Game. Simple investigation along the line of Seven's would reveal that they want to the same Cradle Pharmaceutical-sponsored hospital (she would be certain of this as the mother); and that both of them would undergo the Ganzfield Test as it would likely (not guaranteed, all things considered) be in their medical records. There's many places one could branch out from there, especially considering that's not a typical medical test.
o Even if she's screaming in the True End, that's not really an indicator of anything. Between the heat of the moment and stress, unless you've experienced morphogenic transfer yourself you probably wouldn't be able to recognize it happening to someone else. Doubly accounts for why she has no idea what happened 9 years ago, beyond her children going missing.

Spoiler:
The deaths of the 3 members of Cradle were faked. Think about it - except for Junpei's deaths in the bad ends, at no point in the entire game is a murder committed onscreen. The most obvious hint to this is the death of the Ninth Man - he was apparently blown up by the detonator in his bracelet, but after the escape in the True End Junpei notes there were no detonators in the watches. Even in the Safe ending, when Snake gets shot half a dozen times, he doesn't die until he's conveniently out of sight. The Cradle Pharmaceutical company has been convinced to repent for its sins, but in order to make things work Ace has to play the bad guy again. So he does, and damn convincingly.

As for Alice? A myth, quite simply. The ending shot is a hallucination of June [remember, these people have been up all night fighting for their lives for 9 hours with no rest or food or sleep or anything, and they're driving in a stuffed up car in a Nevada desert]. Note that there was no mention from anyone that they'd seen Alice, just that SOMETHING was there.

Spoiler:
It's either a ridiculously elaborate fake or not a fake at all. I don't see how they would be able to covertly stage that. We see Door 5 open, there is nothing inside, the 9th Man goes in, we hear a boom, we see a corpse. Further investigation of the area reveals nothing - however, I'll grant that there were several locked doors in that same corridor. It's hard to prove or disprove but it's a bit of a copout.

WRT to Alice: Santa and June escaped from the Q Building first, right? At least, the ending gives us that impression. Junpei and the gang were following their tracks when they run into Alice. If I had to guess, Alice was probably somewhere inside their SUV. Her coffin falls out at some point, thaws/melts and Junpei comes across her while they're following. But that clashes with another idea, namely:

The reason why Junpei didn't find any detonators is because the related mechanisms were somehow constructed with Ice-9, which begins melting over 92 (near there) degrees Fahrenheit. Like, say, the transition from an underground bunker up into the scorching heat of a Nevada desert. When Junpei assumes that no detonator exists (hell, the parts would be so minute that they probably wouldn't notice moisture anyways!) he probably won't investigate the whereabouts of the bomb in his intestine, which would likely break down over a day or two. Now, on the other hand, don't ask me to explain how Ice-9-based detonators are engineered.  :V

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
Actually, here's something to consider:

Spoiler:
There were no detonators in Junpei's, Seven's, Lotus's, Snake's, and Clover's bracelets. I'd put good money that the only ones who had bombs planted in them were Nine and Ace, because those two were the only ones that Santa and June wouldn't mind getting themselves dead (plus, Santa and June had Ace figured out the entire time, knowing exactly the type of things that Ace would do).

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
I have a question peoplez, it's just to clarify something:

Spoiler:
It was Clover who killed Junpei on the Knife ending, right?

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »
I have a question peoplez, it's just to clarify something:

Spoiler:
Nope

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Spoiler:
N.

Actually, here's something to consider:

Spoiler:
There were no detonators in Junpei's, Seven's, Lotus's, Snake's, and Clover's bracelets. I'd put good money that the only ones who had bombs planted in them were Nine and Ace, because those two were the only ones that Santa and June wouldn't mind getting themselves dead (plus, Santa and June had Ace figured out the entire time, knowing exactly the type of things that Ace would do).
Don't forget
Spoiler:
"Guy X" a.k.a. Fake-Snake
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
Hm, interesting. whoever it was I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.

But here's a question I've been wanting to ask. Is it worth going for the
Spoiler:
Coffin Ending
? I've heard it's just a
Spoiler:
Dummy Ending for the True Ending

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »

Spoiler:
Coffin Ending
? I've heard it's just a
Spoiler:
I thought that it was necessary to see it to get the Safe ending, which is absolutely necessary to see the True Ending, but I might be mistaken...

JT

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 09:37:29 PM »

Spoiler:
Coffin Ending
? I've heard it's just a
Spoiler:

Nope. Nothing different happens, it just cuts off at a certain point and says "To Be Continued." If you get the True Ending first, then the icon for both endings will appear on the save screen.

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
All right, listen to JT, not me.

Though, don't you think it's a bit more dramatic to get the Coffin ending, then Safe, then True? ... No? Just me? All right.

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 06:51:49 AM »
All right, listen to JT, not me.

Though, don't you think it's a bit more dramatic to get the Coffin ending, then Safe, then True? ... No? Just me? All right.

I'm pretty sure that's how the game is supposed to go, when you think about it.

The only criteria to get one of the bad endings is to go through one of the doors. Door 1 =
Spoiler:
Axe Ending
Door 2 =
Spoiler:
Sub Ending
(Which I'm still trying to figure out why the other two say "Bad End" when this says "The End... Or is it?", Hell, this one shows the credits, the others don't >_>'') and Door 6 =
Spoiler:
Knife Ending

And then there's 2 bajillion secret Criteria full of GUIDE DANG IT on it to get either the Coffin Ending or the Safe Ending, but here's the thing.

Unlocking the Coffin Ending unlocks preview B, which shows how to get the Safe Ending, and by getting the Safe Ending, you unlock preview A, which shows you how to get the True Ending. Pretty much saying that's how the game is supposed to be played.

Moar questions time though.

1- The Knife Ending: Was it
Spoiler:
Hongou/Ace
that
Spoiler:
killed Junpei/Lotus? Or was it someone else?

2- Sub Ending: WHO THE FUCK
Spoiler:
KILLED EVERYBODY?
???

3- Any specific reason why the final puzzle
Spoiler:
is upside-down?

4- How did
Spoiler:
Alice get back to life? I've seen the other posts but there's something on the ending that seems odd to me >_>''

JT

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
Moar questions time though.

1- The Knife Ending: Was it
Spoiler:
Hongou/Ace
that
Spoiler:
killed Junpei/Lotus? Or was it someone else?

2- Sub Ending: WHO THE FUCK
Spoiler:
KILLED EVERYBODY?
???

3- Any specific reason why the final puzzle
Spoiler:
is upside-down?

4- How did
Spoiler:
Alice get back to life? I've seen the other posts but there's something on the ending that seems odd to me >_>''

Spoiler:
I think it was Ace. It would make sense that he would go after Lotus specifically, since 1+8+9 (remember, he had the 9th Man's bracelet) = 18, which gives a digital root of 9.

Spoiler:
Again, pretty sure it was Ace. I guess he was just playing dead?

Spoiler:
The bottom screen is Akane's point of view, while the top screen is Junpei's. You're actually playing as Akane through the entire game, transmitting the solutions to the puzzles to Junpei 9 years in the future. The only exception to this is the final puzzle, where Junpei is transmitting the solution to Akane. You flip your DS so that the touch screen is on top. Make sense?

4. You mean at the very end? I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually mean anything. It's just a little joke.

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
Spoiler:
The bottom screen is Akane's point of view, while the top screen is Junpei's. You're actually playing as Akane through the entire game, transmitting the solutions to the puzzles to Junpei 9 years in the future. The only exception to this is the final puzzle, where Junpei is transmitting the solution to Akane. You flip your DS so that the touch screen is on top. Make sense?

... That's some serious mindfuck.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »
Spoiler:
I think it was Ace. It would make sense that he would go after Lotus specifically, since 1+8+9 (remember, he had the 9th Man's bracelet) = 18, which gives a digital root of 9.

Spoiler:
Again, pretty sure it was Ace. I guess he was just playing dead?
For 1,
Spoiler:
Ace, in addition to being the person in possession of the 9 bracelet, is the only person to have a knife, courtesy of the 9th man
... If you reeeeally want to take it a step further
Spoiler:
Ace also has possession of the revolver, see Safe Ending
. Not that that has any relevance to any of the mentioned, but still  :u

For 2,
Spoiler:
note that Lotus' bracelet is gone. "Again"  :V

Door 2 =
Spoiler:
Sub Ending
(Which I'm still trying to figure out why the other two say "Bad End" when this says "The End... Or is it?", Hell, this one shows the credits, the others don't >_>'')
I believe that it's because Junpei doesn't see who his murderer is, leaving you well, on a cliffhanger. You most likely wouldn't at that point either.

Cut: Well, yeah  BV
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:02:30 AM by BLTling »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
Hongou, go die.

Also, something I just read that seriously adds to the midfuck in this game.

Courtesy of Parallaxal (Found this on a youtube video, a comment of his)

So...this game was released on Nov. 16th? Huh, I never noticed...

Nov = 11th month

Released on 11/16...

What's the digital root of 1116?

Parallaxal

• Moon Sign "Theft of Dreams"
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
Regarding the Axe ending discussion from earlier:
Spoiler:
Clover taking down Seven, Santa, and June becomes a bit more believable once you realise she probably took them down separately. The first puzzle room behind door #2 is the confinement room, where Seven would suggest that they split up. While Clover probably couldn't take them all down at once, killing them one at a time may be more believable.

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 01:53:57 AM »
Whoa, the reviews on this game have dropped quite a bit a of late. :ohdear:

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
I've been playing this game recently, and it's one of the most well-written stories I've ever read. Although I've beaten it 3 times so far, each ending just got more depressing than the last. However, I think I know how to get a good ending, and I knew it before last playthrough, but I just screwed up.
Spoiler:
You have to go through doors that lead you to a Digital Root of 9, correct?
I forgot to take the last one into account, so I just took random paths, and then died. At least I have a pretty good idea of who the bad guys are now, though.

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
I've been playing this game recently, and it's one of the most well-written stories I've ever read. Although I've beaten it 3 times so far, each ending just got more depressing than the last. However, I think I know how to get a good ending, and I knew it before last playthrough, but I just screwed up.
Spoiler:
You have to go through doors that lead you to a Digital Root of 9, correct?
I forgot to take the last one into account, so I just took random paths, and then died. At least I have a pretty good idea of who the bad guys are now, though.
I'm pretty sure that you don't know who the bad guys are, yet. Anyways, you've gotten the Sub ending, right? You should have also got a promo video with it: the clue for one of the paths you'll need to take is in there. Of course, the other important part is getting the right conversations (which really isn't very hard).

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
I've gotten
Spoiler:
Knife, Axe, and Sub
endings so far. I figure that there's still a ton of story I don't know about yet, but t least I know that my favorite characters are probably the ones that are evil. I've also noticed some suspicious things that haven't been used yet, like the
Spoiler:
safe in the music room that was never opened
, with 7 leaving the door open to get back to it, and the recurring theme of
Spoiler:
telepathy (both human and chemical)
that has been mentioned about five times so far but never had any story relevance. I want to figure out all the endings on my own unless one of them is so obscure that it's impossible to stumble upon, since reading spoilers or "how-to"s for this type of game is completely missing the point in my opinion.

As a side note, Locke's Socks is very interesting to think about.

Parallaxal

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »
Isn't the promo video only unlocked from the
Spoiler:
Coffin or Safe
endings?

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »
Isn't the promo video only unlocked from the
Spoiler:
Coffin or Safe
endings?
I thought there was two of them: one from the Sub ending and one from the
Spoiler:
Coffin
ending. Am I wrong...?

Parallaxal

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
Sub ending shouldn't get you a trailer video. It's the [spoiler[Safe[/spoiler] ending that does.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2011, 12:05:59 AM »
Just stopping in to say I finally got this game today!

And that I won't be back in this topic until I've beaten it because [spoilers]spoilers errywhere[/spoiler]

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 09:17:49 PM »
Got every ending now. All I have to say is... wow. Just wow. Things got super crazy by the end, but I figured out the vast majority of it before it actually happened, although there were some things that I don't think anybody could predict. Well, unless that whole theory is true... which I somewhat believe, although not quite to the extent that the game makes it.

The most intriguing part about the game, I think, is how it would only work as a game. The "true end" path would not have nearly as much impact if it were a book or movie, and the two screens are used excellently during it. Huge props to the writers and the design team, and whatever genius mathematician made everything work out as flawlessly as it did.

Although I don't think it matters by this point in the topic, if anyone is even a little interested in text adventures and hasn't tried this, you need to.

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »
With a story this complex, no, a movie or a book couldn't replicate it, not with their constraints. A television series possibly could (Baccano!, for instance, had an interesting plot that you got piece by piece, and they had even gave you the ending first thing!), and I have read a preteen book based on the "Ghostwriter" franchise that was pretty clever (the book was written in two prespectives, a brother and a sister writing in their own journals, but one prespective was written on the other side of the book. The conclusion was in between the two minibooks. Part of the solution of the story was the fact that the reader was in fact a spirit who can read any written word, and was able to relay information between the brother and sister).

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 03:41:00 AM »
Okay, done.

...After going through The answers section on the site there actually aren't that many things I'm confused on. 
Spoiler:
There are one or two things I'm mad about, mind you - "Junpei doesn't reunite with Akane and Aoi" being the main one
.  Heck, I think I might be a little underwhelmed now that I think about it mostly due to Crazy Hyping by a friend of mine.  It's still good, but... as awesome as the plot twist at the end should have been,
Spoiler:
June somehow managed to be obvious the entire time to me
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:49:20 AM by Garlyle »

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 03:49:19 AM »
Spoiler:
One or two I'm mad about, mind you - "Junpei doesn't reunite with Akane and Aoi" being the main one
ಥ__ಥ

edit: Holy shit the ninth man is
Spoiler:
DARTH VADER

Aahahahaha question 70
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:17:22 AM by Suikama »