Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 23637 times)

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
Praise Final Fantasy for anything BUT story.
It makes no sense, it never will. None of the games. Also character design is just throw stereotype add half twist by endgame so it's all different.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2010, 08:19:13 AM »
Praise Final Fantasy for anything BUT story.
It makes no sense, it never will. None of the games. Also character design is just throw stereotype add half twist by endgame so it's all different.

That seems ... completely unreasonable. Sure, some of the narrative choices in the earlier games are a bit outlandish, bordering on the goddamn weird with the likes of IV, but everything makes sense within its own context.

...Except VIII. That game never explained anything.

Regardless, so far XIII's narrative is solid and compelling - I don't see what the problem is.

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
The Narrative is all a matter of perspective. If you try to hate the game, it's easy to just say "This doesn't make sense, so it sucks" Even when if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Sometimes you can go through, think it's just a jumbled mess, and then suddenly you fit the pieces together to get the whole picture. Even VIII's story can be wonderfully refreshing provided you interpret what happens in your own way.

My Personal excuse actually has quite a bit of evidence attached to it. During the attack on Balamb Garden by Galbadia Garden, Rinoa has shown plenty of interest in Squall. She even requested a copy made of Squall's right, and even in the midst of battles, asks for it's name (Which you promptly do on the naming screen). Squall, up to this point has shown no interest in women in general, let alone Rinoa herself (I mean, heck, he practically pushed Quistis off of himself right after the SeeD Ball). Up until the fight against Edea, he's never given a second thought about anything but his mission, and his partners incompetence. Que Disk Change, and the first thing we see is him losing his shit all over Rinoa's coma.

There was a significant change here. This change however is something we don't learn until just before the end of disk three - that Rinoa became a Sorceress.

Sorceresses in this game have demonstrated a unique talent for manipulating the minds of ordinary people. This is the main reason why they are feared. This also is why Ulty manages to Convince Seifer to join her and become loyal to her, despite loyalty being one of the many concepts Seifer never grasps. This is the only explanation for the scene in Deling where Rinoa seems possessed and follows Edea onto the balcony. Not to mention how everyone cheers for her speech even though it is mostly comprised of threats to murder everyone (accompanied by an actual murder, no less.)

Squall's falling for Rinoa, and indeed this whole love plot in FFVIII is nothing more than Rinoa on some subconscious level forcing Squall to have feelings for her that he under normal circumstances will never have for anyone.

Remember the Ball Scene? The one where she playfully and innocently cast a spell on Squall to make him fall in love with her? Yeah.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:12:17 PM by Zakeri »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
FFVIII is one of those games that only makes sense on a second replay.  I enjoyed the game much more after I went through it once.

Back on topic - I'm in Chapter 11 grinding my eyes out.

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
ff8 only makes sense if you play it from the viewpoint that squall dies at the end of disc 1 and the rest of the game is the last gasps of his failing brain as he's falling off a parade float with an icicle stuck through his chest

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:20 AM »
I'm also in Chapter 11, doing a few missions before moving on. I tried a B rank mission for fun and got destroyed though. It makes me wonder what A rank missions look like...

Also, who are you guys using in your parties? I've been using Lightning, Hope, and Fang. Snow doesn't look very useful and Sazh seems to only be good for Haste. I'm not sure about Vanille yet. :S

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »
Got it earlier. Haven't played much.

BTW, does anyone know what the 5 star time on the Chapter 2 boss
Spoiler:
Anima
is?

Not sure if I should reset to try to get it.

Bananamatic

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »
Is it just me or are the character names retarded

also if I had the game, I'd use Sazh just because of his coolness.

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
Well, I'm still at the point where you're forced to use certain characters.

Not sure what to say about the game right now though. Needs more time.

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:49 AM »
Never mind. 5 starred the boss with a time of under 3 minutes. Not sure what the cutoff is.

Edit: Crap, didn't notice I double posted.

Edit: First game over. I wasn't ready for that first(assuming there's more than 1) boss of chapter 3 at all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:16:59 AM by Enigma »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2010, 05:56:51 AM »
Is it just me or are the character names retarded
Spoiler:
and that's before you find out the Lightning's name is friggin' Eclair

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Bananamatic

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »
Spoiler:
and that's before you find out the Lightning's name is friggin' Eclair
okay that's either a stupid coincidence or a really bad joke

Fightest

« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
Don't see the problems with character names. They're simple and easy to remember, and they're no worse than any other given Final Fantasy name.

Or what, you take objection for people being called after inanimate objects or metaphysical concepts? I refer you to Peter which literally means rock. Faith is a real-world name.

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
Don't see the problems with character names. They're simple and easy to remember, and they're no worse than any other given Final Fantasy name.

Or what, you take objection for people being called after inanimate objects or metaphysical concepts? I refer you to Peter which literally means rock. Faith is a real-world name.

There's something pretty ridiculous about a character who insists on being called by a 'cool-sounding' nickname she made up herself. And then insists that everyone just call her Light as soon as she meets them.

Of course, Lightning is intensely socially awkward, moreso even than Cloud or Squall, so I don't really consider this bad writing. It establishes the character in the limited time constraints that games allow.

Spoiler:
Eclair is Lightning in French. It's a bad joke. They change it to Claire in the English version.

Fightest

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
And then insists that everyone just call her Light as soon as she meets them.

True, that bit's pretty weird. It's like she can't really take her own nickname seriously, which is fine with me, it makes sense from a human-being point of view.

Edible

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
True, that bit's pretty weird. It's like she can't really take her own nickname seriously, which is fine with me, it makes sense from a human-being point of view.

Spoiler:
It also makes sense from her own explanation to Hope partway through the game.

Anyway, I'm still rockin' Chapter 11, grinding the crap out of everything.  Must... complete sidequests...

Fightest

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
Anyway, I'm still rockin' Chapter 11, grinding the crap out of everything.  Must... complete sidequests...

Seriously. It's like the game suddenly goes into Arcade Mode, with its 5-minute missions, and it's always "just one more mark".

Bananamatic

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »
Why the hell would you name a character "Snow" or "Vanille"...might as well as name Sazh "Chocolate" :V

Fightest

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Why the hell would you name a character "Snow" or "Vanille"...might as well as name Sazh "Chocolate" :V

As I mentioned earlier, same reason why you'd name a character Sora, Peter or Faith.

Bananamatic

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, same reason why you'd name a character Sora, Peter or Faith.
Different languages. 90% of the people just think it's some kawaii nippon name.(I didn't know about Peter tbh) Naming a character "Rock" would be just as awkward.

Edible

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »
Different languages. 90% of the people just think it's some kawaii nippon name.(I didn't know about Peter tbh) Naming a character "Rock" would be just as awkward.

Every culture is full of names like this, tbh.  It's just English-language culture has a whole lot of Biblical names too.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
Darn it, Edible beat me to it. I was just playing Garou the other day too. :S