Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey help  (Read 6160 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Etrian Odyssey help
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
I've started trying this game awhile back, and it's rather fun. Unfortunately documentation on the game is rather low. The wiki is pretty bare bones, as is gamefaqs for the stuff I'm looking for.

Basically I'm level 40ish. I have a protector, landshwhatever, alchy, bard, medic. I unlocked ronin, and I'm thinking about dumping my landschenkt or however you spell it for a ronin...via retirement, I'm also thinking about retiring my alchy for a better alchy. My alchy is pretty good, but has alot of skillpoints wasted in poisen. which was excellent early on to kill foes, but it never works on bosses, and I rekon he can do poison-level damage with other spells if he had the same amount of skillpoints invested in them instead now (especially since it misses like 3/4 of the time on a foe). I saved my game, retired my landshenkt for another one and looked at the results. Basically I got 2 measily skillpoints for losing 40 levels. wtf. I imagine this is ONLY worth doing if you're level capped and you wanna max out a party. But I'm not sure.

anybody know what the exact benefits are? Like do the bonuses happen at certain intervals? like every 20 levels or something? In your opinion is it worth bothering before completing the game? I imagine I can't do it without re-leveling up my new characters to reasonable levels all over again, which in turn will over-level my other guys I haven't retired, making the game too easy.

Also is there some sort of pattern to foes respawning? First I thought it was something like 1-week in-game. But some foes clearly respawn more often than others. Like those stalkers on floor 3 have yet to respawn once during the entire game! Meanwhile Fenrir the boss did once already. Also if someone knows of a good page I can research this stuff on my own other than gamefaqs or wiki I'd appreciate it.

Re: Etrian Odyssey help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:26:24 AM »
It's been way too long since I've played this series (my DS battery life is, no exaggeration, 20-30 minutes), and I've only played the second one, which as I understand is completely different from the first one in many regards.

Off the top of my head, FOEs respawn either after a certain time interval, or on certain days.  Certain ones that are integral to the "storyline" won't respawn.

Retiring results in...bonuses every level, maybe?  I quit halfway through stratum 3 and never felt the need to change out any of my team, so I don't exactly remember.

If I can find a way to start playing again I'll get on it and let you know.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:29:02 AM »
I only played EO2, so my knowledge may be less applicable.

On a related note: EVEN IN YOUR HELP TOPIC, F O E!!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:30:31 AM »
Not to try to hijack the thread, but anyone know when EO3's coming out?  It was announced a good while ago for Japan, but I haven't heard anything of a US release.

Not that I'm terribly interested in it.  No hexer means no love from me. :|

Matsuri

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:51:37 AM »
Etrian Odyssey III comes out on April 1, 2010 in Japan.

As for EO help, I wish I could, but I've never made it past Fenrir in the first game myself, been preoccupied with too many other games!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 04:09:16 AM »
Not to try to hijack the thread, but anyone know when EO3's coming out?  It was announced a good while ago for Japan, but I haven't heard anything of a US release.

Not that I'm terribly interested in it.  No hexer means no love from me. :|
What th-they took out Hexer?!  But it was practically necessary!  And excellent!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:42 AM »
What th-they took out Hexer?!  But it was practically necessary!  And excellent!
They took out all the classes and replaced them with other random things.

I think the only class that was really left intact is the Protector, which pretty much just got an armor buff and a name change to Phalanx.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:21 AM »
Retire
+Skill Points (Level-Based)
+Attributes (Previous Class-Based; Level-Based)
+...something else? :amnesia:

The only reason why you would even consider it is to change the classes or "recreate" a character, though Rest should be enough for the latter. Make sure you have a quick way of leveling back up, or it's grindgrindgrindgrindgrind for a few hours before you get back up to speed. That shouldn't be a problem if you consider how strong the equipment actually is though.

Or:
I imagine this is ONLY worth doing if you're level capped and you wanna max out a party. But I'm not sure.
This.

F.O.E. Respawn
No Idea.

And thanks for reminding me that I actually have to get around to finishing the 2nd one. Finished the first one, didn't get "100%" (I believe I vented about this before elsewhere) because I "lost" a unique drop.

For the sake of covering more, I recommend changing this to a (general) discussion topic.

At first I was all ;_; when I heard that they removed most (all?) of the classes (Hexer ;______;), but then I was like :hype: a few seconds later. Talk about a mood swing.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

mil

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »
The first Etrian Odyssey is the hardest.  Mainly because it pulls some serious bullshit with its extra bosses and resting sets you back 10 levels instead of 5 levels as in the sequel.  Never retire your characters.  You want to change the alchemist?s skill point allocation?  Rest him.  He may be set back 10 levels but at least you can eventually bring him up to speed with the rest of the team. 

Don?t worry about resting a few of your characters.  It happens to everybody sooner or later when they play this game.  Resting is required for post-game.  Unless you have been cheating with a guide since the beginning?   

Keep:  your entire team (especially your protector).  You can beat post-game without a protector, but it is seriously not fucking worth it.  You might want to replace your bard with a survivalist (archer).  Survivalists are the most overpowered class in the first game; you just won?t know that until they become much stronger later on.

Also, hexers and ronins are not worth the extra time spent pursuing in the first Etrian Odyssey.  Forget about them.  Especially hexers, they?re pathetic in the first game.  Which is a shame since hexers look so cool.   

Like those stalkers on floor 3 have yet to respawn once during the entire game!?

They will, it just takes a long damn time.  Basically, all the foes respawn in every location, some just take a lot longer time to respawn than others (usually storyline foes).  The only way a foe does not respawn in the first game is if another foe replaces the old foe?s location.  Also, the last storyline boss never respawns.

By the way, what stratum are you on?

Edit:
Finished the first one, didn't get "100%" (I believe I vented about this before elsewhere) because I "lost" a unique drop.

Follow Baity's example.  Getting every unique enemy drop in this game is a serious goddamn waste of time.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:36:35 AM by mil »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »
Also, hexers and ronins are not worth the extra time spent pursuing in the first Etrian Odyssey.  Forget about them.  Especially hexers, they’re pathetic in the first game.  Which is a shame since hexers look so cool.   
Then I'm never playing the first game.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41:29 PM »
Follow Baity's example.  Getting every unique enemy drop in this game is a serious goddamn waste of time.

That's generally a waste of time for every game.

mil

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:37 AM »
Then I'm never playing the first game.
The only reason to play the first Etrian Odyssey is for the sheer challenge of it.  EOII is more refined than the first game in almost every way.  Also, there is almost no connection whatsoever between the storylines of the titles. 

If you are waiting anxiously for Etrian Odyssey III, best play The Dark Spire in the meantime. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:37:31 AM by mil »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
By the way, what stratum are you on?

Crap sorry, forgot to answer that. I'm a snob >='(

I'm on the 3rd now, and was on the 3rd when I posted (juuuuust started it though. Now I'm at floor where you take these lotus-boat thingies across this lake).

I decided to retire my landguy for the ronin in the end anyway. I know the benefits of retirement probably aren't worth it, but I figure the amount of time needed to get from 1-30 on my ronin would be much less than the amount of time I lost losing the last 10 levels anyway. Plus after I beat the boss royalant, I got its rare drop, which allowed me to purchase some kinda monster 220 attack katana with +10 luck or something. The best sword my land-guy could get had only 70 attack with no stats.. lawl. So yeah, my ronin at level 1 hits harder than my land-guy did at 40. I also decided to take the plunge and try a new class despite most people feeling it wasn't as good because I had a feeling I wouldn't play the game again after beating it, so basically try the ronin this playthru, or never. I wanna try the hexcaster too, but I really don't think anybody in my party is very expendable for one now.

Anyway I rather like the Ronin, but I don't like the stance mechanic at all. I mean I don't care that I have to "waste" a turn switching stances every 5 turns. But it bugs me that it counts as an actual Buff.. And since you can only have 3 buffs at once before they start replacing other buffs, it really limits things IMO.

I retired my alchy for a new one too since I figured I'm having to level my ronin anyway. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.. Glad I did, he feels much more useful already at 30. Both my ronin and new alchy seem perfectly capable of handling everything in stratum 3...though they tend to croak really fast if the enemies ambush me and pick on them >=(

I'm looking forward to trying 2 though. I like the gameplay of 1, but I can see by playing it that it probably wouldn't generate the fan-base the series seems to have alone, you guys really seem to confirm that 2 is a better game. One of my beefs with 1 is that alot of the skills for each class really seem pretty lame, or excessively situational with questionably worthwhile benefit during those rare situations.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:39 AM »
What's so bad about Hexers in EO1, anyway?  Low success rate on curses?  Bad curse selection?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »
Don't know myself, haven't been able to play one yet.

I just beat the wyvern and golem bosses for my first time. I was pretty choked when they both gave 0 exp and dropped nothing.. wahhh.

also, I understand the tec stat increases potency of skills right? Is there a point to giving it to my medic? I mean apparently cure spells have a fixed value of hp cured, influenced only by the healer skill, and the number of ranks in that particular cure spell. So I imagine tech really does squat for healers except for maybe that offensive spell they get (which I don't have anyway).

mil

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »
Anyway I rather like the Ronin, but I don't like the stance mechanic at all.

Ronins are not a bad class to have; they just get introduced a bit late in the game.  They also have the best attack of any class and the worst defense of any class.  Landschneckts are more well-rounded than ronins and can do comparable physical damage if you get the right skills. 

But absolutely keep your ronin.  Again, the only character you should think about temporarily changing out now is your bard with a survivalist.  You will definitely need your bard later, but it is good to have both a bard and survivalist in post-game. 

What's so bad about Hexers in EO1, anyway?  Low success rate on curses?  Bad curse selection?

Hexers are bottom tier.  They have weak attack, ok speed, good tec, and less than average vitality. Almost all their skills involve some sort of status ailment.  Unfortunately, some of the later bosses are immune to status ailments. 

Beyond that, dark hunters can do damage and cause status ailments.  So, if you want a status-damage dealer, get a dark hunter and not a hexer.  Also, you cannot choose hexers as a class until the 5th stratum!  That?s 9/10 of the way through the main game.  You have to start them at level 5 and build them up to at least level 50 that late in the game.

also, I understand the tec stat increases potency of skills right? Is there a point to giving it to my medic?

No.  Unless increasing your tec gets you more skills, NO.  Only increase skill points if they promise to get you a skill you need unlocked.  Just click on a skill you don?t have (grayed-out skill) for the game to tell you what requirements you need for that skill. 

For medics:  Concentrate all your efforts on getting Salve II and possibly Caduceus unlocked.  Get revive unlocked as well, but only put one point into revive.  After you have these skills, only put points into Salve II, Caduceus, or HP UP.  Caduceus is a VERY useful and powerful attack. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:12:12 AM by mil »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
Remind me why NOBODY has mentioned Immunize yet?

It is one of the most imbalanced defensive skills in the entirety of EO1, and it was absent in EO2 for a pretty damn good reason...

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

mil

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »
↑ Completely forgot about the bullshit immunize skill.  Yes, if there is any medic skill you must have as many points in as possible, it is immunize. 

Axcela IIIs + boosted immunize = must have for beating real final bosses.