Author Topic: Revenge of Shooter Games Thread  (Read 148486 times)

Matsuri

Re: Revenge of Shooter Games Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 02:55:32 AM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with animated bullets.  >:(

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »

True, except for those bastard fireball bullets used by Shou and other bosses in UFO. :P

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2009, 03:07:18 AM »

My thoughts exactly... until my eyes start to hurt, that is.
Btw, if Nintendonut is the one that said he didn't like the animated bullets, then is Zengeku the guy with the "Dodonpachi treatment"?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:23:32 AM by BoLaD »

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2009, 05:50:39 AM »
My thoughts exactly... until my eyes start to hurt, that is.
Btw, if Nintendonut is the one that said he didn't like the animated bullets, then is Zengeku the guy with the "Dodonpachi treatment"?

I know way back in the old board Zengeku made a thread about how Ikaruga sucked, using such complaints as "Why can't I beat Easy mode, I can beat Hard in Touhou, this game must be badly designed," and "This game doesn't have a focus button so it's badly designed," and so on, and caused some kind of giant troll-fest.  And then right after that he made a post bashing Dodonpachi, and the same thing happened.  He seems to have learned his lesson and doesn't do stuff like that much anymore, and the one or two times he has no one really took him seriously.

Geez, that was all like, over a year ago.  I feel old. :V
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:53:03 AM by Azinth »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2009, 06:23:36 AM »
I know way back in the old board Zengeku made a thread about how Ikaruga sucked, using such complaints as "Why can't I beat Easy mode, I can beat Hard in Touhou, this game must be badly designed," and "This game doesn't have a focus button so it's badly designed," and so on, and caused some kind of giant troll-fest.  And then right after that he made a post bashing Dodonpachi, and the same thing happened.  He seems to have learned his lesson and doesn't do stuff like that much anymore, and the one or two times he has no one really took him seriously.

Shooters without a focus button (or a slow down button rather) make my skin crawl.. I mean they still can be good, and I can like em. But every time I try a new shooter, and I discover I can't push a button to go slower. ACK...Unless you're playing something where you're painfully slow to begin with (raiden 3 for example. ugh).

Matsuri

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »
But you already move stupidly slow in Raiden 3 anyway :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
But you already move stupidly slow in Raiden 3 anyway :V

hence the:
Unless you're playing something where you're painfully slow to begin with (raiden 3 for example. ugh)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »

Geez I was one of the people ARGUING with Zengeku :V

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Matsuri

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
hence the:
Unless you're playing something where you're painfully slow to begin with (raiden 3 for example. ugh)

Ah.

Missed that.

Shouldn't be posting at 2:30 am. :P

Bananamatic

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
Okay, I suck with anything else than C-S :V

Matsuri

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »
god damn it

I swear I'm going to beat Arrange Ultra mode this weekend

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »
Played some Raiden Fighters Jet earlier. Kept messing up and dying early, so I didn't even get past Sim 15 since I restarted everytime I died early. I suck at playing for score, plus the run would probably be ruined by the hard to see bullets due to the background later on anyway. Then the fact that extends don't exist make deaths a lot more painful.

Same thing with Raiden IV. I kept messing up early on before I even got to stage 4 despite usually perfecting stage 1 and 2 and most of stage 3.

Are there any extends in Raiden IV other than the stage 3 one(which I never actually get) and the stage 4 one, which I usually mess up the requirement on? Those are the only 2 I know of, so it's 3 starting lives, those 2, then those 2 again in the second loop. I can't even 1cc the first loop either. Referring to Xbox360 mode, not the arcade original included in the port as well.

And I'm hoping I get Futari today. Will I? Well, I'll post here if I do mentioning it.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Finally broke 100 Million points in Samidare Extra(that's when you start using letters). \o/ Now if I could actually clear it...

Oh, and the ships in Samidare move slowly, so focus is only useful in like, 2 attacks.

Bananamatic

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
And I'm hoping I get Futari today. Will I? Well, I'll post here if I do mentioning it.
Make videos. This world needs more vids of Original. And show the easy mode.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »

I'm dying to carpet my room so I can put the tv on the floor and tate it...

50" plasma of gaming orgasm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:56:46 PM by lmagus »
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
Sorry. Can't record Xbox 360 or I would. Mail either hasn't come or isn't coming. Not sure.

Edit: No mail today. Maybe tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:08:06 PM by Enigma »

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »
I'm so jealous. :D

Apparently Yagawa is doing the Arrange mode for ESPGaluda II. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Matsuri

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
Congrats, lmagus :D
Let me know if you need any scoring advice, I've already got a lot of stuff figured out :)

Apparently Yagawa is doing the Arrange mode for ESPGaluda II. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

This could be really interesting.

Also, I just cleared Arrange Original mode, and I consistently get close to clearing Arrange Ultra mode. It's hypnotizing!

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
This could be really interesting.

Yeah, and Ikeda is doing Black Label. He didn't do much for ESPGaluda (just the Stage 5 mid-boss, I think), so if he also didn't work much on ESPGaluda II, then I wonder how different Black Label will be from Arcade.

Something for everyone, I guess. :V

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
So uh... I'm gonna stop coming to this thread due to the amount of jealous rage I have for anyone here that has Futari... at least until Christmas when I get the PS2. (New computer=no money, New computer that has shipped but not yet arrived=no money + rage)

Matsuri

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2009, 12:20:54 AM »
Oh, okay. See ya later. :V

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »
this game is so much fuuuuun

and dear god my skill has really improved since last year when i used to play the ps2 mushi x_x

touhou ftw :V
Watch me on Youtube

Matsuri

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2009, 01:52:58 AM »
this game is so much fuuuuun

and dear god my skill has really improved since last year when i used to play the ps2 mushi x_x

touhou ftw :V

Progress report! How are you doing?

Also, if you haven't tried arrange mode yet, I strongly suggest doing so!

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2009, 05:39:48 AM »
How exactly does the arrange work with the bullet reflecting? Can you do it infinitely, is there a wait, or is it like Ikaruga?
What are the mechanics?

Matsuri

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
There are two counter/meters at the bottom of the screen-- One for Reco, one for Palm. You must have the C button pressed for the slowdown to even occur. That much does not affect either character's meter. What you do is slow down a bunch of bullets at once-- this is Mushi, so there's no lack of dense aimed bullet walls-- then press the A button to repel them. As far as I've seen so far, reflected bullets do not cause damage. What they do, instead, is cause a rain of yellow amber that charges the meter of the active character-- thus the reason why switching characters is important-- as your reflect field is powered by the inactive player's meter.

There are 2 methods of fire in Arrange mode-- unfocused (hold C) fire, and focused (hold A) fire. Unfocused fire will bring yellow/green amber items, for building the game's overall counter and each character's reflect meter, and holding A for focused fire will cause a constant stream of blue point items-- and that's where the major scoring comes from. Holding A will also keep a constant reflect of bullets, but this drains the inactive character's meter very rapidly. Also, while you're building your score in this way, do keep in mind that the output from reflected bullets is much smaller.

For example:

Say I'm playing as Reco with a counter of 3000 with Palm as the inactive with 1000. The overall goal is to get both characters so they are at 9999 at the same time. So what you do is wait for a good wave of bullets, and repel them. This will deplete Palm's meter-- and once that hits 0, he can no longer slowdown or repel bullets. It's important not to move while catching and repelling bullets, as moving will decrease amber point item output. The repelled bullets will cause a cascade of amber, which Reco will collect. Say she got another 3000 out of that. Now what you do is switch to Palm and put Reco as inactive, and now charge Palm's meter. It's good to know where the large enemies spawn, since they often explode into a full screen of amber, which is incredibly important. Once a character hits 9999, switch immediately. In this condition, they can repeatedly repel bullets in very small bursts, and will instantly return to 9999 somehow. Use this small-burst method to charge up the active character's meter to 9999.

Once both characters are at 9999, you activate 'Fever Mode', in which both characters' meters rapidly decrease at the same time. In this mode, all reflected bullets will cause a cascade of large amber items (instead of the usual small ones). Use this time to hold A and build your score, while reflecting as many bullets as possible. It's best to delay Fever mode for midbosses or bosses if possible, but keep in mind that pressing A (which is the reflect/repel button) will activate it.

Does that all make sense?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
Make that Hibachi video already.

Find out how to record MAME then.

Also I still say the bullets make it a bit harder to see than it should be. >_>

On a similar note, today I managed to almost reach Hibach's final attack on one credit. Then I just barely avoided using two continues on that attack alone. :V
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Bananamatic

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »
Find out how to record MAME then.

Also I still say the bullets make it a bit harder to see than it should be. >_>

On a similar note, today I managed to almost reach Hibach's final attack on one credit. Then I just barely avoided using two continues on that attack alone. :V
Check your youtube channel. It was there for a few days :V

"Options, default game option, Direct 3D, check Use Direct 3D and Bilinear.
Recorded without any slowdown, but you have to run it fullscreen."
Then encode it as HD as any other touhou video.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
Progress report! How are you doing?

Also, if you haven't tried arrange mode yet, I strongly suggest doing so!

Perfect Novice Original
1LC Novice Maniac (Lx4)
1CC Novice Ultra (Lx3)

Yes, I missed the extends in St5 BOTH times hahaha

St5 on Novice Ultra was a lot of fun, I unexpectedly perfected it. Larsa made me waste 5 bombs, 3 in her first form and 2 in her second.
i was reading shmups forum and so many people couldn't 1cc Novice Ultra on their first try, so I was kind of worried :P

Ok, now to 1.5 Original
Watch me on Youtube

Bananamatic

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2009, 03:09:01 PM »
What does Novice do anyways? More extends? Easier patterns?

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
What does Novice do anyways? More extends? Easier patterns?

both, and less bullets on screen.

it's a very easy mode.

I don't have skill to 1CC 1.5 Maniac, yet I almost 1LC Novice Ultra...
Watch me on Youtube