Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 and 10F  (Read 294657 times)

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 and 10F
« Reply #870 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
Btw Qaz, something I just found, don't know if you knew about it (I didn't made a new game since the patch you made (or I just didn't pay attention to it)). On the introduction scene:

Marisa has a third line that was in the previous dialogue window.
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #871 on: August 23, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
Btw Qaz, something I just found, don't know if you knew about it (I didn't made a new game since the patch you made (or I just didn't pay attention to it)). On the introduction scene:

Marisa has a third line that was in the previous dialogue window.
Bah, I thought I had fixed that. Good catch.

Fixed. The problem was exactly what I thought it was. Odd-length strings breaking things.

I find it interesting that this game actually does use halfwidth roman characters instead of full-width, but always in pairs, e.g. Lv, LvUP, HP, TP, etc. I wonder if that's a coincidence or if he actually realized that an odd number of characters would break everything horribly.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:08:35 PM by qazmlpok »

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #872 on: August 23, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
Only question I have right now...what determines when the F.O.Es respawn?  Is it by entering & exiting the dungeon a bunch, random battles, or something else?  It would be easy enough to get the last bit of money I need to buy a certain item I want if I could just fight the 2F & 3F F.O.Es over and over again.

If you think of each entry into the labyrinth as "one day", an FOE will respawn after two weeks.  In other words, if you really want to respawn an FOE, just walk in and out of the dungeon and  the FOE will be alive on the 14th time you enter the dungeon.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

« Reply #873 on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
I see people discussing using
Spoiler:
Suika
on the 9F boss, but I'm absolutely baffled how you get enough money to do that that early. I've been using all the +Money skills at my disposal but the gain is really slow. Is there a trick or is it just brute force time spent?

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #874 on: August 23, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
is that patch that was uploaded actually being updated? not sure i believe the intro was english in the 'preliminary' english menu patch

think im gonna run through touhou Lab 1 like a speedrun while i wait
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #875 on: August 23, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
I see people discussing using
Spoiler:
Suika
on the 9F boss, but I'm absolutely baffled how you get enough money to do that that early. I've been using all the +Money skills at my disposal but the gain is really slow. Is there a trick or is it just brute force time spent?

Sell stuff. It speeds up the process. If you have extra and you aren't using it, sell. Craft stuff...then sell it. Oh, and
Spoiler:
Nazrin
if you've got her. Her first spell increases money dropped by 1.66.

is that patch that was uploaded actually being updated? not sure i believe the intro was english in the 'preliminary' english menu patch

think im gonna run through touhou Lab 1 like a speedrun while i wait

Yeah, they're hard at work on it now. And there was a more recent patch shared; only the first two lines of the intro are translated in it. It's not an auto-update sort of patch, though, if that's what you mean.

Seriously, I've died more to grapes then I have to bosses. I start making a little progress, run into grapes, one manages to survive with what looks like 1 HP...and explodes. Aaaaaaaand back to square one.
Spoiler:
Holy shit, Byakuren's OP though.
And perfect for these floors. I know its been said before but
Spoiler:
Suika
wrecks face. I can't believe it took me until 16F to get her. I'll have to get her earlier next playthrough.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:15:58 PM by ViciousYukkuri »
I finally got my first Normal 1cc. ReimuA, TD.
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.
Currently playing: Nothing until ESO is out.

Sahgren

« Reply #876 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
Where do you get
Spoiler:
the 4th scroll for Byakuren? I'm on 18F and I'm still missing it.

CloverNaght

• Gotta hide in teh box..
  • FOEs r scareh
« Reply #877 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
Seriously, I've died more to grapes then I have to bosses. I start making a little progress, run into grapes, one manages to survive with what looks like 1 HP...and explodes. Aaaaaaaand back to square one.
Spoiler:
Holy shit, Byakuren's OP though.
And perfect for these floors. I know its been said before but
Spoiler:
Suika
wrecks face. I can't believe it took me until 16F to get her. I'll have to get her earlier next playthrough.
Spoiler:
try use Reisen or Mystia (forgot which one)
they instagibs the grapes on turn 1 assuming you build them towards glass cannon style
Behold the power of love instagibbing, ze!!~

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #878 on: August 23, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »
Where do you get
Spoiler:

I have no idea. I just had it by the time I got to 16F. I'm not even sure of WHEN I picked it up. Maybe an Achievement?

Spoiler:
try use Reisen or Mystia (forgot which one)
they instagibs the grapes on turn 1 assuming you build them towards glass cannon style

Spoiler:
Yukari
and Youmu can for me, too, but I just keep getting caught with them being out of MP.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:07:24 PM by ViciousYukkuri »
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #879 on: August 23, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
Where do you get
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
This isn't from an event square, but rather it's a random drop.  Take the first warp to 15F, walk down the stairs to 14F, and kill stuff until you find it.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Sahgren

« Reply #880 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
Got it, thanks. I guess it was a good opportunity to rack up some BP on characters that needed it anyways.

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #881 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »
Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKyi8GA3VU

I have uploaded a video of me battling Yuyuko, using that partial English Patch, and I thought I should share it with the members of MotK, in this topic. If there is anything that needs to be corrected in the credits at the description, please contact me. Also, for people doubting how useful Suika can be, please watch that video ;)

Earthsiege

• Rational Anarchist
  • The balance of power MUST be preserved.
« Reply #882 on: August 24, 2013, 02:27:45 AM »
Would anyone be in favor of finding a better term for "Physical" affinity? It's been irritating trying to differentiate between physical damage (as in Attack-based) versus Physical affinity (damage that may or may not be physical and isn't another element).

The kanji used for the affinity is mono, "thing", if that helps.
http://pastebin.com/DzbzqF0k - LoT2 reference list. If anyone catches anything, drop me a line.

« Reply #883 on: August 24, 2013, 02:34:10 AM »
Actually, can we start tracking all of the unsure translations and localization stuff made? I think it'll make things a lot easier if we have a list of all of the text that isn't a straight up translation for consistency and getting second opinions on stuff.

I can create a publicly editable google doc spreadsheet for this, although I have no idea which strings qualify, so other people (kuil, regal) would need to fill it in. Does that sound good?

« Reply #884 on: August 24, 2013, 02:41:26 AM »
If only I had more time, I'd contribute to the translation. Great to see it's coming along so quickly, though. Thank you all for your hard work.

...Is there an NG+ implemented on this thing? All evidence points to the answer being 'no', but I've seen the odd video of people playing what seems like NG+, like fielding Eiki against Walnut Eater on 1F.

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #885 on: August 24, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »
Isn't that from the "hacked" save?

« Reply #886 on: August 24, 2013, 02:48:53 AM »
Isn't that from the "hacked" save?

I must be out of touch,  I have no idea what that might be. Would you mind elaborating?

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #887 on: August 24, 2013, 03:07:27 AM »
I must be out of touch,  I have no idea what that might be. Would you mind elaborating?
A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... (as in, I think the last demo to come out), we had someone unlocked all characters by modifying a binary file for the save folders, and that's how people can use it to start a new game with everyone.

Would anyone be in favor of finding a better term for "Physical" affinity? It's been irritating trying to differentiate between physical damage (as in Attack-based) versus Physical affinity (damage that may or may not be physical and isn't another element).

I don't really know what could be better really, because the spell is basically a physical attack, it doesn't use any elements. The best I could think of would be Neutral, but even then, it's not really great. 物, I don't like "thing" for it, even though that's probably what a translator would give you. The other meaning of it are "matter" and "object", but in the end, it still kinda refer to something physical, in the real world.
Also, if you look at the symbol on the top left when you do damage to an enemy in battle, for normal attacks and spells that use the PHYS attribute, it's the same symbol, so there's really no differences there.

Actually, can we start tracking all of the unsure translations and localization stuff made? I think it'll make things a lot easier if we have a list of all of the text that isn't a straight up translation for consistency and getting second opinions on stuff.

I can create a publicly editable google doc spreadsheet for this, although I have no idea which strings qualify, so other people (kuil, regal) would need to fill it in. Does that sound good?
I'll try to start making a sheet with everything that could be confusing/localized better, but time is going to become an issue soon for me, I'll try to do it as quickly as I can.
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #888 on: August 24, 2013, 03:15:36 AM »

That actually seems like a great idea. I know I have a couple of ideas, such as...

-Using the term "Fury" instead of "Fighting Spirit" for that buff. They mean about the same thing and Fury takes up less space. The skill could be called "Battle Fury" or "Increasing Battle Fury" to make up for this change. It might not be accurate to the translation, but the meaning gets across all the same.
-Using "Perception" instead "Ability to sense" for the buff that you get from Ability to Sense A Thousand Miles Away.
-Using "Adversity" instead of "In a Pinch". This one's just a personal preference, but I don't know which one's more accurate, per say.
-Could use "Eyes That See Truth" instead of "Eye That Perceive Reality". Shorter is my only logic.
-For the Physical affinity thing, we could use "Striking" instead. Or if that doesn't work...ahh...hmm..."Impact", maybe?

That's all I got for now...or at least all the ones I think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:43:06 AM by ViciousYukkuri »

« Reply #889 on: August 24, 2013, 03:45:24 AM »
I'll try to start making a sheet with everything that could be confusing/localized better, but time is going to become an issue soon for me, I'll try to do it as quickly as I can.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiaAy3nPKPx2dDhOLUh5Vmk2N1VUYkxJZlI1d2xRMGc#gid=0

Quickly made spreadsheet. Has sheets for terminology, localization stuff, unsure translations, and references. It should be fully editable, so feel free to add more sheets or columns or whatever else. I think it'd be a good idea to document anything related to the translation that might need to be examined again at a later date ("why was this chosen instead of x") or for consistency.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #890 on: August 24, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
That actually seems like a great idea. I know I have a couple of ideas, such as...

-Using the term "Fury" instead of "Fighting Spirit" for that buff. They mean about the same thing and Fury takes up less space. The skill could be called "Battle Fury" or "Increasing Battle Fury" to make up for this change. It might not be accurate to the translation, but the meaning gets across all the same.
-Using "Perception" instead "Ability to sense" for the buff that you get from Ability to Sense A Thousand Miles Away.
-Using "Adversity" instead of "In a Pinch". This one's just a personal preference, but I don't know which one's more accurate, per say.
-Could use "Eyes That See Truth" instead of "Eye That Perceive Reality". Shorter is my only logic.
-For the Physical affinity thing, we could use "Striking" instead. Or if that doesn't work...ahh...hmm..."Impact", maybe?

That's all I got for now...or at least all the ones I think think of off the top of my head.
For the actual skills/spell names themselves, the length doesn't really matter, the amount of space they had in japanese was quite wide, but for the buff they give, yea, shorter is better. Though some of them won't work all that well because they reuse the same data. Take for example "Girl of Bhava-agra", Tenshi's skill. In the list of skills, the name doesn't appear. It appears on the battle stuff, which is located before the skills. They won't put it back again because it saves space and would be redundant. They do the same for skills and spells descriptions, if it's the same, you'll only see it once. This means that for some skills, if we don't want to lose the entire meaning or make an entirely new translation, it's gonna be longer.

At least that's how I see it, I'm not the expert on programming or localization so we may have other solutions.

Also, "Adversity" is what 逆境 directly translates to, I don't see why we would use "In a Pinch" unless it has some sort of reference that I'm missing..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiaAy3nPKPx2dDhOLUh5Vmk2N1VUYkxJZlI1d2xRMGc#gid=0

Quickly made spreadsheet. Has sheets for terminology, localization stuff, unsure translations, and references. It should be fully editable, so feel free to add more sheets or columns or whatever else. I think it'd be a good idea to document anything related to the translation that might need to be examined again at a later date ("why was this chosen instead of x") or for consistency.
I'll start getting the stuff on what we already know for references and unsure translations
I'll put in references what is referencing other games and the likes, while on terminology is going to be the reason why we choose the use that word or history/mythological stuff if applicable. (we can always change where they are)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:55:40 AM by kuilfrayt »

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #891 on: August 24, 2013, 04:13:37 AM »
Some characters seem rather... odd, in that they have identical Attack, Magic and growth in these stats. I figure they are Composite, but even in Laby1, every Composite attacker I know of had at least 1 move that wasn't, and usually had better growths in that same stat. I've been running off that, and how they character acted in Laby1, when applicable, but I'm still unsure.

Rinnosuke and his First Aid(as well as what Subclass fits him better x.x), Cirno,
Spoiler:
Suwako,
Spoiler:
Sikieiki,
Spoiler:
Byakuren,
and
Spoiler:
Yuuka
all leave me unsure on which is better to boost, Attack or Magic.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #892 on: August 24, 2013, 04:31:03 AM »
Rinnosuke and his First Aid(as well as what Subclass fits him better x.x), Cirno,
Spoiler:
Suwako,
Spoiler:
Sikieiki,
Spoiler:
Byakuren,
and
Spoiler:
Yuuka
all leave me unsure on which is better to boost, Attack or Magic.
What you need to look is in spell, there are 3 main things on the first line. The first part is the MP cost, the second part is the "target:attribute", and the third part is what you want to know. It will either be 直接攻撃/Direct Attack, 魔力攻撃/Magic Attack or 補助行動/Auxilliary Spell (the two first can also start with 複合 which is composite) (there's some others, but they are not really important and very sparce). The first one, Direct Attack, seems to benefit from the ATK stat, the second, from the MAG stat, and the last one I'm not sure about (most of the time, those represent, heals, buffs, spells that don't deal damage). So depending on what spells you want your character to use, you can specialize in a single stat, or share in both to make it more versatile, but less powerful. I don't really know how composite affects it, since it can be both Composite Magic and Composite Direct.
Since we don't know the damage formulas for any of the spells, that's pretty much all the explanation I can provide.

If anyone can correct me on this, feel free to do so, I'm just going with what I've seen so far.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #893 on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:14 AM »
What you need to look is in spell, there are 3 main things on the first line. The first part is the MP cost, the second part is the "target:attribute", and the third part is what you want to know. It will either be 直接攻撃/Direct Attack, 魔力攻撃/Magic Attack or 補助行動/Auxilliary Spell (the two first can also start with 複合 which is composite) (there's some others, but they are not really important and very sparce). The first one, Direct Attack, seems to benefit from the ATK stat, the second, from the MAG stat, and the last one I'm not sure about (most of the time, those represent, heals, buffs, spells that don't deal damage). So depending on what spells you want your character to use, you can specialize in a single stat, or share in both to make it more versatile, but less powerful. I don't really know how composite affects it, since it can be both Composite Magic and Composite Direct.
Since we don't know the damage formulas for any of the spells, that's pretty much all the explanation I can provide.

If anyone can correct me on this, feel free to do so, I'm just going with what I've seen so far.
Thank you very much :D

Composite Direct Attack or Composite Magic Attack would likely mean "Uses both Attack and Magic stats, but one is used more then the other" or such. Composite already means it uses both, so adding on Direct/Magic to it implies that the matching stat has greater value... to me at least x.x Sorta like Misdirection and Soul Sculpture in the first Labyrinth game, they used far more Attack then Magic, 3 and 4 times as much respectively if the Wiki is correct.

« Reply #894 on: August 24, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »
Where's the front entrance to 16F? I can apparently only find the back one.

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #895 on: August 24, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »
Where's the front entrance to 16F? I can apparently only find the back one.

BAM!

Spoiler:
Good luck with Yukari

« Reply #896 on: August 24, 2013, 06:29:44 AM »
Is there any information at all (in English) about those special or consumable items? I mean, even the wiki has no page about them yet, and from what I can understand from Google Translating the Japanese wiki, them seem pretty useful. However, hell I don't even know how to use them, if they have some limit (other than the stats ones it seems) or anything else

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #897 on: August 24, 2013, 06:40:38 AM »
Is there any information at all (in English) about those special or consumable items? I mean, even the wiki has no page about them yet, and from what I can understand from Google Translating the Japanese wiki, them seem pretty useful. However, hell I don't even know how to use them, if they have some limit (other than the stats ones it seems) or anything else

You use them at the Hakurei Shrine. The 4th option uses them and they raise your stats permanently. As for each item...

BAM AGAIN! I don't know the effect of the 2nd page items, though. I haven't tested them out yet. The others are story items, like Byakuren's scrolls.

10 hours in paint.

E: I just figured it out. They give you boost skills. I'm unsure of what it means by "Attribute Boost" though. It might be a small boost to all stats, but don't quote me on that, it's just a guess.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:11:00 AM by ViciousYukkuri »

« Reply #898 on: August 24, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »

This would be cool since using Physical to describe two different things is a bit confusing, but I can't think of a good name for the element besides like, Material.  I guess you can capitalize Physical when talking about the element and leave it lowercase when talking about physical vs magical.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #899 on: August 24, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
E: I just figured it out. They give you boost skills. I'm unsure of what it means by "Attribute Boost" though. It might be a small boost to all stats, but don't quote me on that, it's just a guess.
To my understanding, Elemental Boost is for Fire/Cold/Wind/Nature, while "Attribute" or w/e is for Mystic/Spirit/Darkness/Physical...

Maybe instead of Physical element, we could call it Material or such? Strike?