Author Topic: [Request]Touhou Character List Spread Sheet  (Read 3623 times)

[Request]Touhou Character List Spread Sheet
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
Hi all,

I'm already at the phase of building character database in my fan game (vanilla animation, scene, character, and input controllers are done already). And I'm looking for an existing character database in spread sheet, something similar to this

(I just started few minutes ago after organizing the CGs)
http://puu.sh/9aSir/c355f8c4fe.png

I'm looking for post pc-98, but if you have one from pc-98 up to 14, that would be great. And I'd like to clarify that I'm requesting for existing one, not for anyone to make it from scratch for me. I can make one myself, but if it's already made, that would save me 5-9 hours of set up. Thank you.

Cheers,
Voltorn

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: [Request]Touhou Character List Spread Sheet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:39:21 AM »
What is this for? What data are you trying to represent. Are you listing encounters?
As someone who tries to know their way around a chart, I'd like to see if I can't help you with something. I would suggest filling the stage column with just the number representing the stage, and not the game number since numbers can be organized and the format you have there can not. I'd also suggest getting rid of the title column in favor of a game number column. If you want the title you can use a look up table. Next the wikia will likely not have any information that the wiki does not. Finally, Kisume is not found in Chiriden, she is simply found in the well heading down to Old Hell. Since you don't actually enter Old Hell until you beat Parsee, she's really just underground in Gensokyo. I believe Chiriden is a specific location in Old Hell. 

P.S. I know of no such data set.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:45:43 AM by Imosa »

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
The database that I posted is an unfinished prototype, which would be a poor example, I guess.

I'm working on character parameter values for my RPG flavored fan game, and having Aya to have low speed and living in Higan without proper explanation would sound awkward to me, and thus I'd like to get as much data about each one of touhou characters, like their history, motivation, goal, relationship, and abilities. (It would affect the storyline of the fan game also, though storyline wouldn't be the strong point since I suck at writing  :V)

And thanks for the inputs, usually I'd be the one setting up the database readers rather than filling it in.   :V

And well, then, 24 hours is up.
I'll assume that there's no touhou character spread sheet available for distribution.
And in that case, I'll go start building one.
The data that I would be using would come from the wikia.
I'll surf into the wikia APIs for some hours now to see if I could make a macro out of them for a spread sheet generator cause I love saving time. : x

I'll post what I've got so far with the database here, feel free to pitch in any input. : D

Edit: Wikia API doesn't seem to provide access to "infobox", so it seems I need to build a traditional screen scrapper. Oh well : x
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:54:22 PM by Voltorn »

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »
The vanilla spreadsheet is done. Yay.  :V

For Viewing Purpose:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eYm-uW4k8QCPDWjgNZG2OmWbiajhu_zJYSkHPa2ZSnc/edit?usp=sharing

For Editting (if you're too lazy to make your own copy):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pp9Eukvv7vJOFQ_dm36_Mu9pJtF08zveiJrSQK_0IP4/edit?usp=sharing

Description:
Contains all touhou characters that are listed in touhou.wikia
Each character listed with the following attributes:

Name
Species
Abilities
(and again, all data is from touhou.wikia, except the spread sheet generator)

Any suggestions on how to improve this (beside making it eye-friendlier)? : x

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
Expand the columns so you can actually read the whole data, maybe?
And/or put 1 column per sheet, like:

- Sheet 1:
(character name) (species)

- Sheet 2:
(character name) (abilities)

- Sheet 3:
(character name) (age)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:35:50 AM »
Done, I also added Descriptions, Relationships, Appearances, and Titles

touhouSpreadSheetVer2

For Viewing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ABQSNsw46AtBdtPP3_nAlZ59XPNyId3pua-YzdNYoZQ/edit?usp=sharing

For Editting (if you're too lazy to make your own copy):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q93UVlvh8ck_4TLsyVOsoPzHAVPZT1NTt_US_LUMYLw/edit?usp=sharing

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
I still don't get it, if this is a database to be used by your game then why are you asking us how you could make it better? We don't know what information you need.

First of all, I'll again suggest you use the wiki as it is likely to have better information.
Second, put everything into one sheet. If you are trying to make a legit database then your very first concern should be how can I best organize my data, and having your data in tons of sheets doesn't accomplish that. If you want things to be readable or convenient then you use some kind of program that will interpret the table for you. This is why we have SQL.
Are you doing all of this by hand or are you using tools to mine the data out of the wiki, and manipulate the database.

Moving on to actual data issues:
Any particular reason you have underscores in all the names?
Abilities sheet: A48, why is Prismriver Sisters a character, and why does it and the 3 sisters all list the abilities of all the sisters?
Abilities sheet: A98, Same thing but with the fairies of light.
Age: Age is a number, and if I'm using a database to find a number I expect to get a number back. What I don't expect is a history lesson. I would strip everything down on this page and turn it all into "Unknown", "[age]", or ">[year]". Also don't forget units. If you want some of this other stuff you've written here then I suggest an additional column called "Age Notes" and fill that in when clarifications and evidence, but keep the Age column clean and concise.
I already broke down B77 as an example of how you seem to be giving superfluous information. "Unknown, but one of the oldest gods; she far predates the invasion by the Goddess Kanako and the Yamato in the Great Suwa War approximately 2300 years ago". Now we'll read this knowing that we are interested in the age. "Unknown", good start. "but one of the oldest gods", vague, but clearly we know something so her age isn't really "unknown". "she far predates the invasion by the Goddess Kanako and the Yamato", how does this event compare with being  one of the oldest gods? If having lived through this invasion makes her one of the oldest gods then there is no point in including the bit about being one of the oldest gods. "in the Great Suwa War", Oh this invasion has a name? Why even bother mentioning Kanako and the Yamato? "approximately 2300 years ago", if you have this number then why didn't you just say so? What was the point of the history lesson just now? The point is that you should try to be concise. I would remove everything about Suwako's age and just put ">2300". Someone using a database to look for her age will not care about what happened 2300 years ago which makes us think she was alive back then. 
Occupation: A48, A98, once again, you've got the triplets all saying each others occupations.
Description: Alright, there's a lot of work that can be done here and hopefully I can explain to you why this page kinda defeats the point of a spread sheet. You've got 2 sets of data, Names and Description. By putting them into this table you want to relate members of the Name set with members of the Description set. That is, I want Hakurei Reimu of the Name set to be associated with that large member of the Description set. Here is where I see a problem within your table. When I look at the member of Description that corresponds with Reimu, I see 2 more lists, a list of games and a list of descriptions. Now, not only do I have to associate Reimu with a Description but I have to also associate games with Descriptions and likely also Reimu with games. The concise way of representing this data would be to make a column for every game, and then write descriptions where applicable. Reimu has lots of descriptions so she fills almost everything... until I want Reimu's description for Great Fairy Wars, which returns, to me, an empty cell because no such description exists.
Relationships: Now if we apply the logic from the previous sheet to this sheet we find that the most concise way to make this sheet is to make one column and row for every character in write relationships where applicable... This is gonna be a massive sheet and its why I brought up that stuff earlier about things not being meant to be readable.
Appearances: Ugh this data doesn't really lend itself well to being in a spread sheet. Like, you could make a column for every game but then you've still got stages, and then you've got some special notes. I'll say you can just leave this one like it is. 
Titles: Again, column for each game, fill data where applicable.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:09:09 AM »
I still don't get it, if this is a database to be used by your game then why are you asking us how you could make it better? We don't know what information you need.
Well, I'm using what's there to implement the game parameters already, so the list is all good for me.
I just keep this thread in check in case someone would like to request for a copy or additional stuff to be added.
Above all, I'm done with the list, and currently working on at the parameter balancing now.

First of all, I'll again suggest you use the wiki as it is likely to have better information.
Second, put everything into one sheet. If you are trying to make a legit database then your very first concern should be how can I best organize my data, and having your data in tons of sheets doesn't accomplish that. If you want things to be readable or convenient then you use some kind of program that will interpret the table for you. This is why we have SQL.
Are you doing all of this by hand or are you using tools to mine the data out of the wiki, and manipulate the database.
Thanks for the suggestion, I used wikia since they have more stuffs inside the infobox than touhouwiki.

wikia: http://puu.sh/9fz2Z/38e173ca15.jpg
touhouwiki: http://puu.sh/9fz4E/0e4f4b7375.jpg

And since touhou.wikia doesn't offer the API that I'm looking for, I built a lazy screen scraper in ruby with nokogiri gem, which basically grabbed whatever there is in the infobox.
The scrapped data then manipulated into excel file by axlsx gem.

I'll check the wiki later on when I would like more concise data (especially during story building).

Moving on to actual data issues:
Any particular reason you have underscores in all the names?

Well, since the screen scrapper access the character page, I thought it would save me time and energy to reuse the string as the character name.
And those pages contain underscore,

For ex: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Alice_Margatroid

Abilities sheet: A48, why is Prismriver Sisters a character, and why does it and the 3 sisters all list the abilities of all the sisters?
Abilities sheet: A98, Same thing but with the fairies of light.
Age: Age is a number, and if I'm using a database to find a number I expect to get a number back. What I don't expect is a history lesson. I would strip everything down on this page and turn it all into "Unknown", "[age]", or ">[year]". Also don't forget units. If you want some of this other stuff you've written here then I suggest an additional column called "Age Notes" and fill that in when clarifications and evidence, but keep the Age column clean and concise.
I already broke down B77 as an example of how you seem to be giving superfluous information. "Unknown, but one of the oldest gods; she far predates the invasion by the Goddess Kanako and the Yamato in the Great Suwa War approximately 2300 years ago". Now we'll read this knowing that we are interested in the age. "Unknown", good start. "but one of the oldest gods", vague, but clearly we know something so her age isn't really "unknown". "she far predates the invasion by the Goddess Kanako and the Yamato", how does this event compare with being  one of the oldest gods? If having lived through this invasion makes her one of the oldest gods then there is no point in including the bit about being one of the oldest gods. "in the Great Suwa War", Oh this invasion has a name? Why even bother mentioning Kanako and the Yamato? "approximately 2300 years ago", if you have this number then why didn't you just say so? What was the point of the history lesson just now? The point is that you should try to be concise. I would remove everything about Suwako's age and just put ">2300". Someone using a database to look for her age will not care about what happened 2300 years ago which makes us think she was alive back then. 
Occupation: A48, A98, once again, you've got the triplets all saying each others occupations.

The stuff that got repeated is due to the lazy scrapping.  :blush:
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Lunasa_Prismriver
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Sunny_Milk

And for the age, that's a great design.

Description: Alright, there's a lot of work that can be done here and hopefully I can explain to you why this page kinda defeats the point of a spread sheet. You've got 2 sets of data, Names and Description. By putting them into this table you want to relate members of the Name set with members of the Description set. That is, I want Hakurei Reimu of the Name set to be associated with that large member of the Description set. Here is where I see a problem within your table. When I look at the member of Description that corresponds with Reimu, I see 2 more lists, a list of games and a list of descriptions. Now, not only do I have to associate Reimu with a Description but I have to also associate games with Descriptions and likely also Reimu with games. The concise way of representing this data would be to make a column for every game, and then write descriptions where applicable. Reimu has lots of descriptions so she fills almost everything... until I want Reimu's description for Great Fairy Wars, which returns, to me, an empty cell because no such description exists.
Relationships: Now if we apply the logic from the previous sheet to this sheet we find that the most concise way to make this sheet is to make one column and row for every character in write relationships where applicable... This is gonna be a massive sheet and its why I brought up that stuff earlier about things not being meant to be readable.
Appearances: Ugh this data doesn't really lend itself well to being in a spread sheet. Like, you could make a column for every game but then you've still got stages, and then you've got some special notes. I'll say you can just leave this one like it is. 
Titles: Again, column for each game, fill data where applicable.
Yea, I do have my share of problem on looking for the right data here, and I end-ed up using ctrl f instead which became redundant after 10 characters, and I've set up at least 80 characters by now.

Thanks for the inputs, the current version is much better than having to go through each individual character page to compare against one another, but with your design, I could see that I could cut some more hours.