Author Topic: Propitiating the Dread God Arengee - Let's Play King of Dragon Pass!  (Read 197760 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Propitiating the Dread God Arengee - Let's Play King of Dragon Pass!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
Thralls (2), Salty Lord Of The Sea (5), WAAAAAR (1)
he's salty because we go to sea and kill his shit every time

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »
Standard 2 (Thralls), 3 (Kill Elves!!!!), 2 (Balanced)

you guys are boring and chose Horsebro god :(

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Stick farmers? Heck yes, adopt them for their ass whoopin' ways.
And what's a combat enhanced, warfare revering people to do? Why make peace ala Big-Stick-ism, of course.
Also, wood floats on water, and that Sea Guy sounds smarmy as heck. Though beating Elves with the wood that protects them sounds wonderful too.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »
Awesome, I still don't have to figure out how to count Bob's multi-votes because he keeps voting for things that don't win anyway. :V So, we welcome others as our own (at least, other Orlanthi!), our ancestral enemies are the Praxians, and we are a balanced clan.

Finally, the sun rose again. While the rest of society worked to find food, or just otherwise survive, the First Priests worked to re-establish links with the ancient deities. Thanks to this new harmony between people and deities, the world was slowly improved. Once the awakening process had begun, it got easier and went quicker as the gods helped wake each other up.

Who was the first deity which your clan helped to awaken?

1. None. Our ancestors were good enough.

None. We retained worship of our Living Deity:
-- 2. Elmal, the Loyal Thane
-- 3. Urox, the Storm Bull
-- 4. Odayla, the Hunter

5. Ernalda, the Mother Goddess
6. Orlanth, the Father
7. Issaries, the Talking God
8. Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God
9. Chalana Arroy, the Healing Goddess
10. Uralda, the Cow Mother

Things have been different since the Dawn, thirteen hundred years ago. Orlanth and the other gods retreated from the world, leaving it to mortals. We can still contact the gods through ritual and sacrifice, or enter their realm by re-enacting the great stories about their deeds, which contain great magic. But they no longer walk beside us. When we settled in a new place we marked this great change in the world by naming our land, not after a god, but after a mortal like ourselves. We named it Heortland, in honor of the king who taught us how to survive during the Darkness.

About six hundred years ago, a dragon approached us, in either its own form or that of a human with a dragon's soul inside it. The dragons had always been hostile, or at the very best, utterly uncaring. Orlanth has always been the dragon-slayer. After an appropriate debate, we had to choose whether to believe the dragon, to cooperate and learn what dragons know, or to refuse the dragon and maintain neutrality, or to actively oppose the dragon's plans.

What was our attitude towards the dragons?

1. Hostile - We fought against them.
2. Negative - We would never believe a dragon.
3. Neutral - We didn't go along.
4. Positive - We joined into their dragon knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:06:49 PM by Arashuu Iwabara »

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
This section of questions were all pretty much as straightforward as they seemed.

Question 3: Thralls?
Follow in the ways of your ancestors, get some extra magic. End of story. In addition to my little bit to Stein in between the updates about thralls as labor, there's a few extra fiddly bits like taking thralls in a raid for some reason doesn't count (at least in favor of a thrall-taking clan; no idea if it counts against a non-thrall-taking one), and if you lose a raid on your own turf the enemies will probably let a bunch of 'em go. There's a few events that you only get if you have thralls but they're not particular special - it'd be neat to see some of them if we had chosen to take thralls but it's not a huge loss either.

Question 4: Ancestral Enemy
We can expect to see at least some of most of the enemy choices no matter who we have a hate-on for, the ancestors just don't care what we do with the others. :V

Trolls will probably raid us all the damn time anyway. This is actually nice because they're chumps and we can basically use them to fuel a blessing that I'll mention when I go over blessings and such in proper detail.

Beastmen can totally be our bros as long as our ancestors don't get pissy when we don't beat them up on sight. And then if we do pick up on them too much they call in the big guns and stomp on our faces. Picking these guys is basically hardmode, and also mean, because you'll see how awesome the littler guys are (probably fairly soon actually!). :3

Elves pretty much actually don't care as long as you don't cut down too many trees. Glorantha elves are actually made of trees. Everything about Glorantha is the best thing about Glorantha. But yeah, even if you do choose them as your enemy you basically have to try to anger them, and even then they pretty much hide in the trees and shoot a dude sometimes.

Praxians are moderately strong but not insurmountable. Picking them as your enemies mostly just makes them show up to raid you more often - normally, you can go explore their turf, and you might see a raid or two by them, but the biggest deal is a major event chain in the late-ish game.

The Sea just gets you flooded sometimes even though you're landlocked and you can't really do anything about it or beat anything up and it's a dumb enemy who's not even in the iOS version. =P

The Ice Tribe makes your winters suck and sometimes you get a freak snowstorm in other seasons, but at least there's ice demons in there to go murder. Plus, your clan being really used to nasty winters gives you a bonus to actually trying to go do things outside your own turf during the winter.

Question 5: Clan Orientaton
We can actually change our clan orientation at any time later in the game, though it costs a turn and gives us a magic penalty for not following the ways of ur ancestors. (I hear but have not personally confirmed that if you maintain a new orientation for long enough, it becomes the new tradition and you no longer take that penalty.)

War clans can spend more magic on War and Peace clans can spend more on Crops (and Herds maybe?). But even a Peace clan can't go without war entirely - you'll get raided no matter what your orientation, and you still need to launch raids yourself or else your warriors will get angry at you and eventually your war magic will fail entirely (but not without warning, at least)! The more peaceful on the scale, the less frequently you'll have to go on the offensive.

Full-on War is generally considered the most difficult orientation - as the main source I'm cribbing this stuff from says, "in KoDP it is easier to make your own fortune than to take someone else's". Amusingly, that fortune you're making makes it easier to sustain a larger fighting force to boot.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »
7 - We like talking to people, even if we stab them later.
3 - Never make a deal with a dragon.  Wait, wrong game system....

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »
Praxians? Really?
Spoiler:
Have fun with Jaldor Goldentooth Arashishi!

3. Urox, I dislike the Chaos enough that we should totally have some way to deal with it first thing. :V

4. Positive, if we're horsebros we can totally be dragonbros too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:42:39 AM by trancehime »

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 01:34:33 AM »
Praxians? Really?
Spoiler:
Have fun with Jaldor Goldentooth Arashishi!

... yeah true I bet the easier ways to deal with him don't work so well if they and we have hate-ons for each other :V

Still think I prefer it to beastmen.
Spoiler:
Duckbros4lyfe

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 02:37:52 AM »
This time, I'm going with Odayla(4) and Positive(4).
I see no bad in being cool with dragons.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 03:59:11 AM »
Let us be brothers of The Udder Mother (10) and make wa--nah, it's freaking dragons, let's be at peace with them (4)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 04:36:43 AM »
Let us be brothers of The Udder Mother (10) and make wa--nah, it's freaking dragons, let's be at peace with them (4)

going with it.
Spoiler:
the most monmusu option
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:55:21 AM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Von Stein

• Just some insane airhead.
  • What's this newfangled stuff?
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 AM »
Chalk one more up too Moomom and Dragonbros.
Spoiler:
Let's try not to piss off Eldritch Abominations too much. No matter which level, dream to true to whatever...

10, 4
Can't think of a good signature.
More lilies maybe?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 05:45:00 AM »
I'll have to go with 9. Chalana Arroy, the Healing Goddess because I can only imagine we'll have to deal with stuff that requires healing sooner or later. As for the dragon, 3. Neutral

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 05:45:26 AM »
Spoiler:
Eldritch Abominations

Spoiler:
Naw thats's not dragons, that's Chaos shit. We want to fuck up Chaos shit.

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
Awesome, I still don't have to figure out how to count Bob's multi-votes because he keeps voting for things that don't win anyway.
Just being as relevant as always!

3. Urox for having the best name.  Them slithery wurms be tricksy, precious, all they do is lie (2).

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »
OUR ANCESTORS WERE GOOD ENOUGH.

And as a kinda peace clan, we can be dragobros, too.

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
Looks like we awoke Uralda and treated the dragons positively - in addition to horsebros, we're cowbros and dragonbros. :3 (Let's just not be broobros. :ohdear:)

Most of the people who said "Yes" to the dragons moved to Dragon Pass, a land to the north of our home, Heortland. We stayed in Heortland, and it was a good thing, too, for a little over two hundred years ago, the dragons rose up and ate everyone who lived in Dragon pass. They ate the Orlanthi along with all the other foolish human dragonfriends. For a long time, no humans went to Dragon Pass; everyone was sure the dragons would eat them, too.

Recent events in Heortland made us think twice about the abandoned land of Dragon Pass. A generation ago, an usurper who called himself the Pharaoh came to Heortland and started a civil war. Our clan was one which broke into disputes, sometimes violent, about whether to support the Pharaoh or not. In the end, our group of dissidents decided it would be better to risk the dangers of Dragon Pass than to stay and kill our own kin, which is the greatest sin an Orlanthi can commit. The dissidents unable to live under the Pharaoh would come northward to Dragon Pass. People of similar beliefs from other clans had already made the same decision, and settled lands there. So we made a new clan, and made it a Balanced clan, just as our ancestors had done in the time of King Heort.

Our new clan made the dangerous trek to Dragon Pass and selected a place to live. Like the other Orlanthi refugees from Heortland, we settled in Quiviniland, a mountainous area in the southeastern quadrent of Dragon Pass. We would call these lands our home, or tula. Tradition required that we make a formal land claim.

1. Enough land for our people and herds, no more.
2. More land than we needed, to grow into.
3. Lots more than we would probably need.
4. Huge tracts, far more than we needed.

And that's it for the questionnaire! The start of this update is why I broke up the questionnaire, of course - I'd originally wanted to do it all at once (with a much longer vote probably), but I was worried that knowing the dragons murdered the crap out of everyone last time might affect what you guys voted our ancestors did.

We will, however, still need to decide on a name for our clan (as you can see in the screenshot, 10 characters max, including any spaces). I'm pretty sure y'all don't want to be the Greenwings. Or maybe you do? (Since I initially wanted to do the entire questionnaire at once, this screenshot is the result of a relatively "default" set of answers - it's the setup the tutorial uses. It's not necessarily any sort of "best" setup by any means, though it's far from horrible either.)

I will not be giving you the option of difficulty or game length. Easy is... pretty easy - still not a total cakewalk, but probably too safe to be interesting. Hard is just like Average but with fewer starting resources, which isn't really that fun an extra challenge. =P As for game length, Short just requires you to become king of your tribe and hold the crown for 10 years (there's a couple other requirements but they're pretty trivial by the time you've got a king). Long is where all the actual overarching plot is hiding. If you can win Short you can probably win Long, but for the sake of an LP it's worth the drawn-out length to get the extra content.

We may succeed, we may crash and burn horribly, it may even be more my fault than yours - I feel like I have played and read enough to be fairly competent at  this game, but who knows! All I know is that this will be AN ADVENTURE.

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
Question 6: Awakened Deity
These all grant a blessing known ans a shrine maintaining it.

Our ancestors grant Protection (defends against hostile spirits)
Elmal grants Steadfast. If he is also your clan's main god, his shrine is instead a temple with that and Sun (helps crops).
Urox grants Berserker (increases the chance of victory in combat, but with more deaths and wounds on both sides).
Odayla grants Tracking.
Ernalda grants Bless Crops. If she is also your clan's main god, her shrine is instead a temple with that and Swine Blessing (increases the fertility of our pigs).
Orlanth grants Rain. If he is also your clan's main god, his shrine is instead a temple with that and Lightning (deals out more wounds in battle).
Issaries grants Spare Grain (gets extra food when we trade for food).
Lhankor Mhy grants Lawspeaker (aids in legal cases and ensures that the clan mood isn't soured by unresolved disputes).
Chalana Arroy grants Healing. Chalana Arroy's two enshrinable blessings, Curing and Healing, work a bit differently than most - maintaining a shrine passively cures your sick or heals your wounded faster than normal, but sacrificing for the blessing directly heals a number of them instantly. Because of this, these are the only two blessing you can sacrifice for while also having a shrine for them.
Uralda grants Milk Blessing (increases the milk yield of our cows - generally we get one unit of food per year per four cows).

A lot of the blessings we can get through this were either covered in other questions are the weaker blessings of their gods. They're all still pretty good, regardless.

Question 7: Dragon Attitude
Much like the thralls question, we'll be expected to follow our ancestors' attitude to dragons. Even though they totally ate the Empire of Wyrms' Friends. :V

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 01:36:02 AM »
FUCKING DRAGONS
Just enough to grow. That is, 2.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:27 AM »

clan name: Volsung 

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 02:20:21 AM »
Voting 2.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Von Stein

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »

We must have all the land! All of it!

Also I see no problems with that dragon uprising. I am sure enough humans pissed them off to just put us on the menu. I mean shit, who says humans are the top of the food chain anyways?
More lilies maybe?

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »
Surely someone besides Trance has an opinon on what our clan's name should be? :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 05:25:10 AM »
#2, call it Arengee in a vain, foolish attempt to win the favour of That Which Shall Not Be Known

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 05:46:24 AM »
I vote we worship Uralda and select the clan name Cowbros.

Von Stein

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 05:47:06 AM »
Welp, missed the naming part.

Clearly we should be called Stein. All will bow before Clan Stein!

Or maybe we can go with Moordor?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:05:54 AM by Irmingard von Stein »
More lilies maybe?

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 05:50:29 AM »
I vote we worship Uralda

Too late, we already do. :V

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »
3, and I'm saying that we go with Stein's suggestion of Moordor!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
Moordor
Well goddamnit now I have to vote for this name too
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.