Author Topic: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - Less than a week till release  (Read 191252 times)

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - X and Y versions announcement
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
Decided to take another look at the video, and perhaps my judgement on it was clouded by my jadedness at some of the poor designs from Gen V.  Fennekin actually looks kinda neat, and though it's a fox now, it looks like it could transform into some kinda lion thing which might be pretty cool.  Probably won't, but still.  I still hate the grass-type one, but Froakie isn't terrible either.  Also I like the Y legendary after seeing it again, or at least its head.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
One thing I like about the legendaries: they're not dragons!

Grass/Dragon
Flying/Dragon

:V :V :V

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
  • I'm actually pretty patient.
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »
Grass/Dragon
Flying/Dragon

:V :V :V

They wouldn't dare.

...Would they?

Oh noooooooo

JT

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
Every generation has some cool designs and some what-the-hell-were-they-thinking designs, but the starters in particular from Gen 3 on have been consistently unappealing to me. The frog would be cool if he didn't also look like a poodle. Who knows though, maybe you guys are right. I actually played Gens 1 and 2 at a time before I was dead inside, so maybe my judgment isn't the most trustworthy.

Either way, this is exciting news. Gen 5 overall wound up being my most favorite since 2, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with this time around.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
We go through this every generation, don't we?  Everyone moans about the new designs and about how everything's deteriorating and how it's going to suck, but we're all going to buy the games and love them and the new Pokemon anyways.

Eh, the only thing really grinding my gears is 'Hurr durr we just did a Legendary Deer Quarter let's make Title Legend a Deer next Gen, cause people clearly haven't had us shoving enough deers down their throats'. I kinda felt the same about Ho-Oh/Lugia in Gen 2, btw. Except those were at least different, with Lugia looking more like a sea serpent and all. This deer thing looks like a masculine Virizion.

My other reservations are 'I hope they don't make Frog starter Water/Ground because we just has a Water/Ground toad last gen', and, like everyone else 'DON'T MAKE FIRE/FIGHTING'. But those are more conditional reservations.

Also Froakie looks like a scholar or something. Water/Psychic, anyone? Dear lord please be a librarian-like Water/Psychic.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:30:20 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Athrel

• v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
  • v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
Eh, the only thing really grinding my gears is 'Hurr durr we just did a Legendary Deer Quarter let's make Title Legend a Deer next Gen, cause people clearly haven't had us shoving enough deers down their throats'. I kinda felt the same about Ho-Oh/Lugia in Gen 2, btw. Except those were at least different, with Lugia looking more like a sea serpent and all. This deer thing looks like a masculine Virizion.

They're fine with me since the only one out of those four that looked like a dear to me was virizion. Terrakion looked more like a muscular horse, cobalion resembled a goat and keldeo looked like a pony.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
Also Froakie looks like a scholar or something. Water/Psychic, anyone? Dear lord please be a librarian-like Water/Psychic.
Dunno about everyone else, but I am all for Froakie evolving into the Hypnotoad.  Or a Slann, either works.  And am I the only one hoping they finally make a poison legendary for this generation?  It just seems kind of weird to me that it's the only type that doesn't have its own legendary for whatever reason.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »
And am I the only one hoping they finally make a poison legendary for this generation?  It just seems kind of weird to me that it's the only type that doesn't have its own legendary for whatever reason.

Nope, not just you. I remember one of the rumours leading up to B/W was that there was going to be a Grass/Ground/Poison trio, and I was really disappointed when that didn't turn out to be the case.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
Dunno about everyone else, but I am all for Froakie evolving into the Hypnotoad.  Or a Slann, either works.  And am I the only one hoping they finally make a poison legendary for this generation?  It just seems kind of weird to me that it's the only type that doesn't have its own legendary for whatever reason.

Only if we get a Dark Gym.

Seriously, the PWT Type Masters should have been a wake-up call to Nintendo on that issue. [At least they added a Poision Gym and... oh wait they went with Water again.]

Also, unless it's a giant venomous snake or something, a Poison legend is somewhat limited by the fact many poison types are based on humanity's pollution. Simply put, there's not been enough time for a poison-type to emerge that would have legends about it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:14:27 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »
Oh man dem graphics. Got lots of hype for this. Even though I haven't really done anything with Black 2 yet. :V

Still need that 3DS. Soon.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Also, unless it's a giant venomous snake or something, a Poison legend is somewhat limited by the fact many poison types are based on humanity's pollution. Simply put, there's not been enough time for a poison-type to emerge that would have legends about it.

I dunno, Gamefreak seems to have a talent for tracking down the oddest source material for their Pokemon. They even managed to make legends out of Steel, and that's as man-made a typing as you can get.

Jormungandr is an option if they're reaching for Poison legendaries. It helps that Poison/Dragon is a type that hasn't been used yet. Throw in Fenrir and Hel and there you go, instant legendary trio.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:34:21 PM by PapillonReel »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »
There's also Nidhogg, which would also fall under Poison/Dragon. It's also explicitly mentioned to have venom in all the works I've seen it referenced in.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
I'm kinda hyped- from what I've seen so far I'm liking it.

The starters have me especially hyped, they all seem to be the kind of designs I -like- compared to ones I really really loathe with a passion, something Gen 5 had going on way too fucking much.

I think you can get my dirty gen-1 based tastes when I say Fennekin is outright my favorite, but all of them look really good.

Edible

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
The protags look kinda dull, upon second examination.  <_<

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »
I dunno, Gamefreak seems to have a talent for tracking down the oddest source material for their Pokemon. They even managed to make legends out of Steel, and that's as man-made a typing as you can get.

Jormungandr is an option if they're reaching for Poison legendaries. It helps that Poison/Dragon is a type that hasn't been used yet. Throw in Fenrir and Hel and there you go, instant legendary trio.

Registeel is a reference to the Ice, Stone and Iron ages.

Genesect would be pure bug if not resurrected and enhanced by Plasma.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »
Gen 1 had Mr. Mime ffs.

this this this this this

I'm glad I ended up splurging on the 3DS. I'm still on White, but October is a long way away!

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I really don't like when people judge an entire gen just because of a few Pokemon, I saw a lot of hate fore Gen 5 because of Vanniluxe and Garbordor. So all the comments I saw was that the gen 5 Pokemon were completely shitty. I skipped out on BW 1 so I went to BW2 expecting shitty design. Turns out, I got a lot of new favorites from Gen 5 like Emboar, Lilligant, Whimsicott, Galvantula, Sawsbuck, Reuniclus, and Scrafty. There are some that aren't part of my favorites but I like their designs a lot, like Bisharp, Braviary,  Scolipede, and a lot more. After thinking about it, Gen 5 might be my favorite overall. And I had low expectations on it.

So I wouldn't be quick to judge Gen 6 based on 5 Pokemon. Like most people, I like Fennekin the most, back in Gen 5 I liked Snivy the most until I saw Emboar, so my opinion might change once I see the evolutions. As for the legendaries, I like the bird thing a lot, but Im sort of 50/50 on the deer. I like the gem-encrusted antlers, but I think the legs look silly.

About the typing of the starters, Im not sure about Chespin and Froakie, but I think Fennekin's evolution might be Fire/Psychic. In the trailer, it uses something that looks like Psywave. Some people are saying that's just growl because the Kirlia is surrounded by something that looks like stat drop. Though I find it odd that it's purple and not the usual colors representing the stats during stat changes. And iirc, in the console versions, Pokemon didn't go to the getting hit animation after being attacked by a stat dropping attack, which also makes me think it's Psywave.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
So, how bad do you think the power creep will be this time around? :V

Edible

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

It would be pretty sweet if they nerfed some of the more commonly used moves in favor of more interesting ones.

Specifically I never want to see earthquake ever again.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
It would be pretty sweet if they nerfed some of the more commonly used moves in favor of more interesting ones.

You're not getting that wish.

Like, unless there is a massive influx of Ground Moves, that is very definitely not being a thing.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »

It's more like them to just introduce a stronger EQ.

But man, I didn't even notice this happened. Even if I'm not super impressed about the change I'm still hyped.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »
It would be nice if they nerfed Dark Void. It's the only move that's banned from most tourneys because it's OP, having 80% accuracy and hitting two foes at once. (there is another moved banned but that's because it has a game breaking glitch)
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
Introducing a new Fighting Type Stealth Rock

No one is safe

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:13 PM »

No one is safe
Except for the Ghosts. :V
Spoiler:
Unless you implied stealth rock secretly in that statement, then nevermind
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:02:11 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 12:12:38 AM »
I kinda want evolutions for Pokemon that still don't have 3 stages but are rather weak. Or a buff for some of the weaker pokemon. But the second one seems unlikely.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 12:19:53 AM »
The grass looks (and I hope) to be dark, since the move looks more like night slash or something.
The fox will probably be psychic. Or of course we could see mono type starter final evolutions coming back. Nothing wrong with water type only.

If they give an evolution to pre single stage pokemon please evolve spinda :( It's like a cruel joke.

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »
*runs across the phrase "Pokemon X and Y" on a different site*
What the hell is that?  Another spin-off game or one of those 3DS Shop games?
*Serebiis*
OH HELL.

As much as it pains me to see a handheld game sans the 2-D graphics (I have a soft spot for pixels), I'm pretty hyped for this.  Like everyone else, I love the little Fennec Fox.  Would've been a bit more interesting if it wasn't the fire type, but whatever.  Hopefully the version exclusives for Y aren't bad, because I want that bird.

X and Y are the planes for graphing in math, so I thought of that before genetics.  My memory is a little fuzzy, but can't you add a Z-plane to graph three dimensionally?  That would tie in to the transition from 2-D graphics to 3-D and to the 3DS.
That also means there has to be a Pokemon Z, right?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
I wonder if the Z legendary will look like Trogdor.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »
I wonder if the Z legendary will look like Trogdor.
With signature move being Burninate.

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 02:22:53 AM »
It's more like them to just introduce a stronger EQ.

Close Quakebat?

No one is safe

Let me guess: every time you switch in, you'd get punched in the face? That doesn't sound very nice.  :V

Joking aside, I'd love to see Leech Seed turned into an entry hazard or at least some sort of Stealth Seed equivalent. Draining the enemy's HP as they switch in and out would be positively devious.

X and Y are the planes for graphing in math, so I thought of that before genetics.  My memory is a little fuzzy, but can't you add a Z-plane to graph three dimensionally?  That would tie in to the transition from 2-D graphics to 3-D and to the 3DS.
That also means there has to be a Pokemon Z, right?

A dude I know elsewhere came to the same sort of conclusion:

Quote from: Bongo Bill
Note the double helix in the logos, possibly suggesting a connection to genetics (XX, XY). X and Y themselves are pretty symbolically loaded for letters - not merely the mathematical notion than any quantity can be expressed in any form, but also their common use as axis designations. X, Y, and Z are used in three-dimensional mapping, suggesting an obvious connection to the new graphics and stereoscopic display. X and Y could indicate breadth and depth, which, interpreted symbolically, are a similarly wishy-washy distinction of abstractions along the lines of generation 5's truth and ideals. The fact that they are variables, too, is relevant to the expectations they bear of merely filling a pattern that has been iterated upon five times previously.

The presence of the ersatz Eiffel Tower invites the notion that we're looking at Pokemon France (where previous generations corresponded loosely to America or various regions of Japan). X and Y are the dimensional labels of the Cartesian coordinate system invented by the French philosopher, mathematician, and otherwise polymath Rene Descartes, famous for the phrase "Cogito ergo sum," or "I think therefore I am." It is a tenuous connection but we could be looking at a motif of thoughts and reality.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:24:57 AM by PapillonReel »