Author Topic: Team Fortress 64  (Read 222511 times)

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Re: Team Fortress 64
« Reply #540 on: April 07, 2012, 06:46:39 AM »
Most times I can kill enemy rushing scouts and thank em kindly for the donated metal. Even if it does cost my sentry it at least stops my team from losing in less then 3 minutes... normally.
Usually several players go engi and help upgrade a sentry to level 3 before the scouts make it to the intel room.  You don't lose the sentry or the intel since they all die so quick.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
« Reply #541 on: April 07, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »
Read: "team of idiots" and "doesn't know what defense is." This is most likely just  the servers I've played it on (I've mostly been doing lotus servers recently, due to the simplicity of finding maps or games to jump into) since I've only played double-cross on one or two servers (thus the general crowd might just be kinda... eh). Always is nice to get teammates who try to help you out, but most people I see on Double-cross try being loners and just rush into the enemy base. Oh and the strange parts prices are a little less insane now (still 1 key, but that's better then the 2 keys or more they all used to cost)! Still waiting though, don't really think I need one badly enough to get a key just to track anything available just yet...
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »
Two nights of 100 axe kills. Had the most epic Pyro intel run of my entire time playing, as well... literally filled the kill feed with axes. Three Heavies, a Medic, and three Demoknights axed, then a couple of odd Degreaser kill. Granted, I had Medic assistance for a few of them, but still amazing. Reached the intel room with 1hp left, which I had since the covered bridge. Worthy of Guile's theme, even. :V

On an unrelated note, I have a S. Pain Train and S. Diamondback up for grabs if anyone needs them. I'm looking for tags, as well, so lemme know if you have any up for bid.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #543 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »

« Reply #544 on: April 08, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »
**Pyro reflecting sentry missiles at Engineer**
Great. Now I hate the Pyro even more now. Thanks a lot :V

Still, that's some pretty awesome footage there. I've done the "Spy hat" on Engies before. Pisses 'em off. Also, nice stair stab.

Edit- Shady, track me down on Steam sometime soon. I got a certain item drop that you might be interested in.. :3
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:32:33 PM by Dr.Strafe »

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #545 on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

« Reply #546 on: April 08, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
w+m2 op valve nerf pl0x
So, now Pyros will be sucking up all of the ammo boxes from now on.. That sucks for Engineers needing to build something in a pinch..

Those weapons are indeed interesting. However, I think that the dramatic use of ammo will turn most Pyros off.

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #547 on: April 08, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
Never really liked the Pyro. It doesn't have character.
But I want to grab a Degreaser sometime and try that sweet Axtinguisher combo. It was very effective against me while I was playing as Soldier.
Airblasts sure do turn me off this class.
Oh, and this new axe for Pyro? Looks amazing.

Right now I just appreciate zooming around as Scout with the usual Milk/Fan/Shortstop, though I often feel underhyped and can't be arsed to change weapons so frequently, so I often choose to go with the default weapons. No stranges, no counters, pure and simple.
Soldier with the Cow Mangler, the Buff Banner and the Equalizer is another favourite of mine. Even though I mostly waste my minicrits, I like being able to buff the team.
Then there is Heavy with Sascha, Sandvich and Fists of Steel. It makes snoipers rage. Plus I just love to dive in the thick of battle and pummel my enemies to death like a grizzly bear.

Shame about the Sandvich getting nerfed even more, though. :\ Can't throw it on the floor anymore for an instant +150HP heal.

Freyband

« Reply #548 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
For those "new" pyro items (they arn't being added if you didn't notice, it was an April fools joke), click on the second link in the description (under weapons from this video). That brings up a page with screenshots of the "Creamator's Touch." Click on the first one. The original name of the flamethrower and the two Japanese characters in the upper right corner should look extremely familiar. This flamethrower was based on a certain hell raven that many of you know of very well. ☢☢☢
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

« Reply #549 on: April 08, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
For those "new" pyro items (they arn't being added if you didn't notice, it was an April fools joke), click on the second link in the description (under weapons from this video). That brings up a page with screenshots of the "Creamator's Touch." Click on the first one. The original name of the flamethrower and the two Japanese characters in the upper right corner should look extremely familiar. This flamethrower was based on a certain hell raven that many of you know of very well. ☢☢☢

omg yes

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »
Gotta curse myself for wanting those miscs from the workshop. Had to sold my bills to buy the Bostom Bringer and the The Outback Intellectual and to get my hands on a taunt and some hats. Now I am totally poor and still want more items  :V
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
So I was bored, and decided to record and commentate on a video of me capturing the intel 3 times in Doublecross, showing how ridiculously easy it is as the Scout :V

It's easy if you're playing against an oblivious team. Most of the routes shown are common knowledge, especially the sewers. I've tried them before, they're usually being used by quite a few people, so you can't just run past them.

Also, STOP RUNNING IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
It's easy if you're playing against an oblivious team. Most of the routes shown are common knowledge, especially the sewers. I've tried them before, they're usually being used by quite a few people, so you can't just run past them.

Also, STOP RUNNING IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

It's funny, because 80% of games I play, this actually happens (minus running in straight lines), because they don't expect a scout to be there so quickly :V Usually by the second capture they actually start defending with engies, which is where it USUALLY gets interesting :V

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
I wonder how good Sharpened Volcano Fragment + Postal Pummeler is in medieval mode?

Answer, not so good. As in one single "good" kill.

Barrakketh

« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
It's funny, because 80% of games I play, this actually happens (minus running in straight lines), because they don't expect a scout to be there so quickly :V Usually by the second capture they actually start defending with engies, which is where it USUALLY gets interesting :V
You play against bad people :]

Also, FAN and/or the Atomizer makes for a quicker trip to/from the intel.  You can jump from the top of the bridge to the sniper nest and vice-versa, as well as getting out of the base through the back exit (taking you right back to the nest to jump to either bridge).

The FAN also works great for ctf_well, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIcCFeSius.  Being able to jump between levels and on top of the box cars using a force jump is great for running the intel.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Freyband

« Reply #555 on: April 09, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »
Try it with a scout using the "Sun on a Stick" instead of the pummeler/axesting pyro. If you have a good heckler scout then they can just dance on the heads of lit people, and beat them down. You'll only have an issue when another pyro comes in to attack or if you're not working together very well.
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

InfernalExuro

• I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #556 on: April 09, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »
Never really liked the Pyro. It doesn't have character.
But I want to grab a Degreaser sometime and try that sweet Axtinguisher combo. It was very effective against me while I was playing as Soldier.
Airblasts sure do turn me off this class.
It really is worth it. Adds a whole different playstyle to the Pyro once you get used to it, and you only get better with practice. Personally, I've adapted my strategy to be based around slipping behind enemy lines and wreaking havoc in the backlines. Once you get the weapon switch down, you're perfectly capable of finishing off crowds of any class slower than you before they even have time to react, particularly Soldiers and the like who might otherwise be able to finish you if they spot you in their range. If you're able to get the drop on them, even Heavies are fair game for the axe... hell, if they're incompetent enough, you can even wipe out a Heavy-Medic pair in one go all by yourself. On that note, getting a competent Medic on your side has the potential of allowing you to wipe out an entire team just as effectively as a Heavy or Soldier, as well, but that's something else entirely.

...And I think I may have contributed to Strafe's hatred of Pyros. :V He has a bad habit of turning corners and finding me on the other side.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #557 on: April 09, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
I always thought Pyros were made for ambush than w+m1. But that's how I generally play. I HATE going head-on into a huge battle, because it generally feels pointless and leads to my death.

I love to stealth to sneak behind enemy lines, not only as a spy, but with any class. That's why Pyro and Spy are my favourites, because they are built on sneak and ambush (spy for sneak, pyro for ambush). Scout as well since it's easy to move around with him to get behind enemy lines and finish them off with the scattergun since that thing is deadly up close when snuck behind. Followed by demoman, but it's harder because of his slow speed, but when I get behind OH MAN sticky bombs EVERYWHERE

So yeah...I'm generally a "sneak and ambush" type player :V

« Reply #558 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
I play pyro like how Exuro plays pyro, wreaking havoc in the sidelines with the axe. I'm still 40+ hours in pyro though so I'm not as good as him, I'm afraid.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #559 on: April 09, 2012, 08:58:10 AM »
...And I think I may have contributed to Strafe's hatred of Pyros. :V He has a bad habit of turning corners and finding me on the other side.
Honest to God, I am a Pyro magnet. I attract Pyros as often as (if not more than) you attract Creepers. :V And it's not even the issue of "ambushing Pyros"... I just seem to have horrible luck timing. They seem to run a little faster than I expect them to..

Thank God for Mad Milk. :V

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #560 on: April 09, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
Ah, Pyros. As a Demo player, I hate them because I can't hit them with stickies or grenades, but I can kill them easy with the Caber (resulting in both our deaths).

Scouts, though, are the most annoying things ever. :derp:
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #561 on: April 09, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
I play pyro like how Exuro plays pyro, wreaking havoc in the sidelines with the axe. I'm still 40+ hours in pyro though so I'm not as good as him, I'm afraid.
Not even that much here but I play in this manner as well. Makes Pyro much more fun and destructive to play as than W+M1 or Spychecking Homewrecker Pyro.

Mini-Sentries, though, are the most annoying things ever. :derp:
FTFY. FaN Scouts are close though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:55:37 PM by デモパン Hat Traders »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #562 on: April 09, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Although I have 93 hours of gameplay with the pyro class, I suck playing it, be with the degreaser + axtinguisher or trying to be sneaky with the so hated backburner, but due to more of 50% of the playtime coming from dodgeball maps I am at least pretty decent when reflecting some rockets  :V
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #563 on: April 09, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
FTFY. FaN Scouts are close though.
Call me crazy, but I don't find mini-sentries as annoying as other players say they are. I think they're easy to spot and easy to destroy with stickies because they don't move. Plus, as a Demo, I'm always on the lookout for sentries. Maybe I haven't faced any pro Gunslinger engies yet.
:P
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #564 on: April 09, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
As a spy I don't find them annoying, as they're easy to sap, even if I kill the engie first.

Barrakketh

« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
Ah, Pyros. As a Demo player, I hate them because I can't hit them with stickies or grenades, but I can kill them easy with the Caber (resulting in both our deaths).
I can pipe pyros all day long.  It'll still result in both of your deaths if they take more than one grenade to kill.

I find that pyros are the second least threatening class in the game (medics are #1).  Going around the corner into a Phlog pyro with the crit-boost active is the only real danger (without the crit-boost they are only a danger if your computer sucks and the particle effect for the weapon makes you lag...they can't reflect projectiles back into your face).  Any other time they are easily killed or neutralized (thanks, friendly pyros!).

I guess things are a bit different if your team is filled with a bunch of mutes and players that don't bother to look around (who are also likely to get fucked up by spies).

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
Yeah, well, but Pyros are still a potential #1 threat to our otherwise nigh-unstoppable rampage when me and my friend pick the ever-so-cheesy Heavy+Medic combo. :\ Being airblasted is no fun.
But seriously, that other day... over 80 kills and only 3 deaths as a Heavy. What the hell... Guess that was one of the reasons why the Sandvich got nerfed some more.

He is such a great stress-relief class. Whenever I am being defeated by "skill" classes like the Snoipah, the Scout or the Pyro, I can usually switch classes and spray some lead. Or, if I have a Medic assisting me, just walk up to someone like a Sir and slap them across the face with Heavy's Fists Which Are Made of Steel. He and Sasha MAKE GOOD TEAM!

Snoipers are hard to master, especially when I have random lag spikes... So far the only up-side of using the Machina has been its looks. Inability to no-scope really hurts, too.

I tried to play as the War Engineer (Widowmaker + Mini-Sentries). It's not tremendously effective. But I still think that being able to assault your enemies from two sides has some potential. That, and the mobility resulting from the ability to remain on the move while clawing your way through the enemy lines, where you can hopefully set up a teleporter exit and have another Engineer secure the nest for a great vantage point.

Then there is the Aggressive Spy (Kunai + Dead Ringer + Enforcer). Perfect item synergy, but kinda hard to play. It requires immense quickness of the mind. And of course you quickly fall prey to a dumb spy-checking Pyro, for whom spraying flames on their comrades is a no-brainer. I'm afraid that Dead Ringer + the Saharan Spy set is just easier, simpler and more effective.
And let's not get started on the Ambassador. Theoretically it's an excellent weapon, but in reality, I seem to suck at aiming for the head...

Barrakketh

« Reply #567 on: April 10, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »
Yeah, well, but Pyros are still a potential #1 threat to our otherwise nigh-unstoppable rampage when me and my friend pick the ever-so-cheesy Heavy+Medic combo.
Snipers, spies.  If a pyro manages to get the drop on you and manages to be a "threat", a spy could've killed at least one of you (and probably finished off the medic if he stabbed you first).

Plus soldiers, demos, other heavy + medic pairs.

But seriously, that other day... over 80 kills and only 3 deaths as a Heavy. What the hell...
Sounds like a Valve server, or a server with equally terrible players.  I don't care how good someone is, against competent players you're not going to get away with only dying three times over the course of a map (at least one that runs long enough for you to get >80 kills), nevermind kritzkriegs and random crits.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #568 on: April 10, 2012, 01:08:08 AM »
I should upload a video of me playing against Valve server players as a spy. The other day you should see how well I did. So many kills, only 3-4 deaths in a round. It was ridiculous.

InfernalExuro

• I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #569 on: April 10, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
Good communication? In TF2? Only if you're playing in an actual competitive server, which usually doesn't seem to be the case for most of the people here. I'd try to get into that more if I had time, but you know. Work and whatnot. :V

But oh man Valve servers. I recall going 25:1 as Pyro back before I found my regular rotation of servers that I frequent now. That's actually how I practiced my axe-wielding skills, though I actually played Soldier more back in those days than anything else. I actually used to be decent at it, but I've been out-of-practice so my skills have slipped noticeably.