Author Topic: WHAT DID I HAVE DONE?! I CAN STILL FIGHT! STG Thread X-Mode!  (Read 204256 times)

Aliquantic

• Bose-Einstein condensate
Re: WHAT DID I HAVE DONE?! I CAN STILL FIGHT! STG Thread X-Mode!
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
PS: The next two weeks of STGT better bring something cool. Preferably something made on the right side of 2000.

1944 was made in 2000! I'm not sure what else you were expecting given how few games are in MAME from 2000 and beyond, aside from the obvious Cave culprits and the Vasaras and a couple others, and given how badly received the last doujin week was, PC games aren't very likely to show up either...

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »
2000 doesn't count!  :V

Honestly, I would never have guessed this game was newer than 1995. Honestly though, what's wrong with having a single week of EspGaluda or Ketsui or something like that? And why aren't we playing PC games?

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
Why would you even sign up for this with that kind of attitude? When the idea is to play something competitively like this, it doesn't really matter that much what game it is as long as it's balanced. If you just want to play one specific game you can do that just fine without any tournaments.

Also relatively unknown games work even better for this kind of use, as fewer people have learned them before the tournament.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
Why would you even sign up for this with that kind of attitude?

Bananamatic asked me to. Besides, we couldn't see what games we would be playing. That would probably have been a good idea however so you know beforehand what you sign up for. I had the idea that it would be a lot of different kinds of shmups but that doesn't seem to be the case.

When the idea is to play something competitively like this, it doesn't really matter that much what game it is as long as it's balanced.

It does matter. Its not just about competition but entertainment too.

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
I had the idea that it would be a lot of different kinds of shmups but that doesn't seem to be the case.

???

So far we've had a classic hori with surprisingly complex scoring, oldschool vert with no scoring and and a semi-modern vert with a simple scoring system. What there is not variety?
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
But they are all about the simple patterns and fast bullets. Or at least that's how I view it. The reason I like shmups is because I like to dodge interesting and complex patterns.

I usually end up dividing shmups into those that has interesting patterns and those that doesn't. So while the games we've played does have their differences, they are all targeted against a difference audience than I belong to.

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
But they are all about the simple patterns and fast bullets.

You realize that probably at least 90% of all shmups are like that? There's nothing weird about them being the majority in this. 1944 is still sort of semi-modern with mostly pretty slow bullets and simple patterned attacks.

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »
Yeah I do realize that. I do think it has something to do with the time bullet hell shmups became popular though. As far as I understand, it was games like Battle Garegga that demonstrated that there was a market for this kind of game which then gave Cave the courage to attempt their own bullet hell. All of this happened in the late 90's and since shmups have been around since stuff like Space Invaders its no wonder that bullet hell is in the minority here.

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
How exactly do you set up a toggle autofire button in shmupmame?

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »
Map the "P1 Toggle Autofire" button somewhere and set button P1 Button 1 autofire status to "toggle". Better way is to map something as "P1 Custom 1", press the 1 key in the custom button setup screen to make that custom button work as button 1, and then set autofire to either that or button 1.

This is not possible in shmupmame 2.2.

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
2000 doesn't count!  :V

Honestly, I would never have guessed this game was newer than 1995. Honestly though, what's wrong with having a single week of EspGaluda or Ketsui or something like that? And why aren't we playing PC games?

That attitude is reprehensible.

... I'm actually hoping for a GB2 week myself.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
I've been hoping for S1999 or GB2, but the way things are going it seems unlikely - Daioh and 1944 both have some similar aspects to Psikyo games, so I don't know if we'll get one.
Let's fight.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »
Just you wait.
It's gonna be Dragon Blaze. PSIKYO UP YOUR ASSES

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
I don't think so, they already did Dragon Blaze a couple of years ago. :(
Let's fight.

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
That seems to contain false information. The package is actually the same as the original Japanese 360 release and does not contain Ketsuifukkatsu. Would be nice if I actually owned an European console. :V

ark

• みょん
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
Ahahahaha.

Radiant Silvergun attempt. Game over on stone-like's very last attack.

5 seconds from a 1cc. noooooooooooooo

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2011, 05:45:29 AM »
1944 was fun. Everything clicked with me, scoring wise, visual wise, and music wise. Though it seems very hit and miss among other participants.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
Looks like we're back to the same situation as after week 1. :V
Let's fight.

Aliquantic

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
I'm currently trying to get a casual scoring competition going again on Cave-STG if you are disappointed STGT is completely devoid of modern games :o Link is here with SotW style voting, one game in a single month.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 02:36:08 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/28/dodonpachi-resurrection-buzzing-to-europe-this-fall/

Yayfications to those who have your 360s.
Does that mean they're going to release DoDonPachi in PAL?
FUCK YES!!!!!!

SAS

• The Worst Person In the World
  • I have a deathwish
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Anyway, soon I am finished stage 1 of my game. I also checked how my danmakufu-shits fare. They have not been much played since their release ( not since october/november hehehehe )

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 05:38:23 AM »
What the hell P-47 Aces?

To even make myself play it, I have to :
1) flip the screen 90 degree, causing zero enjoyment from the visual graphic,
2) mute the sound and play other BGM,

Also there are other concerns :
1) No damage indicator for the enemies. I DON'T KNOW IF MY SHOT HITS.
2) Invisible bullets.
3) Ugly characters and ship designs.
4) Stupid scoring system.
5) HUD blocking my ship view.
6) Gritty music (as stated).

Aliquantic

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Entered Ketsui stage 5 4/0 (no confidence on the stage 4 boss so bomb spam), died twice before the midboss (UGH), got to the final boss 1/2, game overed on the final due to not remembering how it works at all  :ohdear: I need to grind it some too, it used to be fairly easy for me but now it's nothing short of abominable... Nearly got 120m which should be my best, but I'd much rather have a clear than a few extra millions.

This is still nowhere near as frustrating as P47, obviously, a game I love nearly as much as Zetsumarshen :s

Drake

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
in b4 i don't get a better score for the rest of the weekend

bye for a few days

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »
Sorry for not being around, this week has been a lot crazier than I ever expected and has killed my playing time. I may get enough time for a couple of runs this weekend, but nothing really good. :(

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
Make sure to submit those scores.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
Hi I am Jaimers and I am an complete idiot.

One of the reasons I am reluctant to play the 360 games is because of less than optimal control.
Today I realized I still have that Rockband gamepad Koa recommended that I shunned because it gave lag on the TV.
How long have I been playing on a monitor now? I lost count.  :colonveeplusalpha:

So yeah, did a quick Ketsui X-Mode run and managed to get to fight Ura Evaccanneer. Still no Ura DOOM though.  :(
434 million.

Aliquantic

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
I've uploaded a Stella Vanity video on Youtube here, Normal difficulty for 112m, if people are curious :) Scoring still feels a little bit weird in that version with the combo meter being the key part (and bomb abuse), but Tris-Gram said he'd tweak things more for the next version so I'm hopeful it'll turn out to be awesome!

Aliquantic

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »
Stella Vanity on its highest difficulty settings (suicide bullets when cancelling bullets, oh my!) doesn't kid around... videos of me flailing around onNightmare difficulty and the aptly-named Pandemonium difficulty. I can imagine clearing Nightmare with a fair amount of practice, but Pandemonium I can't even begin to process  :ohdear: