Author Topic: WHAT DID I HAVE DONE?! I CAN STILL FIGHT! STG Thread X-Mode!  (Read 204255 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
RESENT IT!!

STG discussion go!
Let's fight.

Re: WHAT DID I HAVE DONE?! I CAN STILL FIGHT! STG Thread X-Mode!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
Okay. What shmup is that quote from?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
It's the one thing I remember about Eight Forces. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
My runs of Gokujyou Parodius have all sucked today.

So have my runs of Pink Sweets, but I actually improved my score there getting to stage 4 on 1.01 finally. Still have a lot of work till I can do well on that one.

Oh, and I 1cc'd Pink Sweets Arrange a few days ago.

BTW, did Matsuri ever get a copy of Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 02:34:37 AM »
I did not, what with my decreasing interest in shmups and increase in 'seriously why am I paying so much for a game' mentality. Sorry.

Aliquantic

• Bose-Einstein condensate
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:15:02 AM »
You guys should all give Stella Vanity a try! This is all. Linky

(Excuse post to switch on notifications for this thread)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:49:08 AM by Aliquantic »

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
asdfgh

Giga Wing with Carmine. God that final battle really tiring my hands. And I got GO'd.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »
For those who weren't in IRC when I mentioned it, apparently we've been evicted for... Washing our balcony and some of the water leaking over (we're on the third floor) onto... Get this: concrete.  It's the most bullshit reason I've ever heard, and I doubt the eviction's even legal, however my mom's decided to just take it and move anyway (for who the hell knows why), and since I'm neither the one paying the rent, nor able to afford rent with my crappy hours at a part time job, I don't really have any options other than to go along with it.  So I'll probably be out of a PC/internt for a while, leaving me effectively unable to compete.  I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as possible, I only found out about this today and still don't know all the details myself... And sorry to my team.  I'll try to get back at it as soon as possible, so do your best guys!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
You guys should all give Stella Vanity a try! This is all. Linky
I got this a few days ago but only got around to trying out a couple of hours ago. it's more fun than I thought it would be but lol I don't get scoring ):

Aliquantic

• Bose-Einstein condensate
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »
Haha yes, the scoring is a bit complex, but TRIS-GRAM is currently writing manual and tutorials for the next version :) In the meantime, we were talking about the game here and we've got the gist of it, but we're still missing the finer details... it's still very fun to play though!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:39 AM »
Still need to work out strats for stage 4-7 of Pink Sweets. Stages 6 and 7 look like they're made to be done at max rank. Stage 4 and 5, not so much. Max rank second half of stage 4 destroyed me.

Still, just got to 1-4 Boss and game overed with 4,538,600 on version 1.01. I thought I was going to see 1-5 since the stage 1-4 boss isn't so bad, but then I saw an attack I never saw before, luck dodged it. Then I got trapped by the things that affect your movement and lasered.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:09:23 AM »
I'd say we did quite well.

I'm glad the team turned out so great. This was a fun week.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 04:19:16 AM »
Agreed, very happy with the results. I'm stunned but I think we've beaten TCACTRM overall this week. :D

...And on that note, we now have Daioh!
Let's fight.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 05:13:34 AM »
Agreed, very happy with the results. I'm stunned but I think we've beaten TCACTRM overall this week. :D

...And on that note, we now have Daioh!

Y'all should be well-practiced on that one. 8)

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
Since the old topic is over, this will be my new scoretracking post.  Daioh - 2,011,700.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:58:51 AM by MarisaV1 »

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
I hate this game. It makes Raiden IV look like a good game.

But still, I need to at least get a score in.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
At least things seems to be moving in the right direction this week. Literally, its not a bloody hori game. I managed to get to Stage 4 with 1.15 mil or something. Stages are very bland and the deaths you get tend to be more frustrating than anything else. That is par for the course for non-danmaku games though. At least this game is playable for me.

Also. Too many buttons!

Does someone around here know what the deal is with that bomber bonus? It sounds like something I wouldn't like but if someone has an explanation I could at least use it to my advange for scoring.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Haha yes, the scoring is a bit complex, but TRIS-GRAM is currently writing manual and tutorials for the next version :) In the meantime, we were talking about the game here and we've got the gist of it, but we're still missing the finer details... it's still very fun to play though!
you really weren't kidding in saying it's complex... I've read through it a couple of times and I'm starting to understand it. thanks for the link~

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
Chirpy might actually beat me on this week. Really.

I think I'll be lucky to even see stage 4, and I haven't got through stage 2 yet. Oh, and I had the game just freeze on me a few times, as if I didn't need more reasons to hate the game.

At least things seems to be moving in the right direction this week. Literally, its not a bloody hori game.

It's still complete and total memo. Which I thought you hated. Too many cheap deaths though. And there's no real scoring system either.

And bomber bonus is for how many bombs in stock at the end of the level. Since your count gets reset upon death(or is it only if the death checkpoints you?), you should still bomb if you think you're going to die. So optimally, you don't want to die or bomb to keep getting high bonuses.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:06:19 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
It's still complete and total memo. Which I thought you hated. Too many cheap deaths though. And there's no real scoring system either.

Oh, its not like I like the game. Its just playable by virtue of being a vertical shmup.
Why don't you tell me about your reasons for disliking this game Enigma? I want to see how well they relate to my own gripes with it.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
I haven't noticed any 'cheap' deaths - I suspect you're simply playing with an arbitrary set of rules in mind (like 'things shouldn't be allowed to shoot near the bottom of the screen' or 'things shouldn't be faster than [x arbitrary speed]'). It's pretty much your standard old-school manic shmup with a focus on rank. Pretty similar to early Psikyo, IMO.

This game seems significantly more memorizable compared with Parodius, but there's nothing wrong with that. Any game requires a lot of learning + memorization for a very good score, and most of what happens seems pretty intuitive (as in it'll be fairly obvious the first time around).
Let's fight.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
What I played yesterday was not bad at all compared to most old-school shmups. Small hitbox and moderate-rate bullet speeds means it's not as bad as a Psykyo or a Raiden to me. I got to 1-4 (941m) in Day 1 thanks to a little luck. The lack of savestates will likely piss me off as I get farther and farther into the game, but for now I can ignore it somewhat.

I just use 4 buttons per Naut's suggestion. I use the 3 shots and the fire (circle) bomb for pure defense. Lightning rips apart 90% of stage enemies, and everything else dies to Vulcan/Missle easily enough. Also bombs are like Touhou levels of plentiful.

While it's true bomb-spam will lower score (thus why I'm under 1m) I have little problem with the game overall after Parodius week. It's a nice, simple, manic kill everything game.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »
Well, I don't exactly like the Raiden games, and this feels to play like one. Only positive is that you don't have to worry about grabbing a bad powerup messing up your shot. The sniper deaths are completely annoying though, and I never really liked stuff where you have to follow a hard path or you die. Still, as I said, I think Raiden IV still has more redeeming qualities than this(Arcade mode, not 360 mode which is way too long and has more annoying stuff). And I always hated when you could die while a bomb is active.

Also, I'm not even noticing any small hitbox.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
Well it's smaller than Parodius/ Raiden DX (the only one I have experience with). And unlike Raiden DX half the bullets aren't aimed and your ship can go faster, making dodging in early stage much much easier.

I've never died w/ a bomb activating in Daioh so far, only the standard bomb-too-late syndrome. Like I said I use the red bomb only so that could be why. Raiden DX is much worse than that with the Nuke bomb.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
The sniper deaths are completely annoying though, and I never really liked stuff where you have to follow a hard path or you die.

Yeah, I can understand what you mean with those sniper deaths. I wouldn't say you need to follow a path here though. Its not like the game throws walls. Knowing where they come from is very beneficial though. I should also go ahead and set up a savestate for Stage 4 so I can figure out what to do about some of the enemies there. They tend to get extreme.

SAS

• The Worst Person In the World
  • I have a deathwish
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I think I saw an 1-UP!

How do they even work?

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
Apparently they're a possible random drop from powerup enemies. There are also 2ups! There's a guaranteed 1up from the arm dude in stage 5 as well.

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
There is randomly dropping 1-ups? How shitty is that?

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 04:11:57 AM »
hello, I have some things I've thought about along the day. I was disappointed by not having been able to get a better score on week 1's Gokujyou Parodius, even after trying so many times, was relieved by Drake's awesome support, but still, the lack of a high-enough third highscore for our team has put us below quite a lot of teams (not on an unrecoverable amount of points, though). Don't worry, guys, I'm much more focused on how to try to perform well on the next weeks than other affairs.

What I wanted to express in this post, however, was about how I thought, after a while, that those new people doing their best for our team, in their first STGT, aren't much different from what I was like, when I first participated in 2009. Varth, it's first week's game, was and still is an awesome game that I learned to enjoy, but I was (and felt like) the weakest link of my team's Top 3's chain. I felt sad that the best I could do yielded so "not enough". So I want to say that I'm sorry if I sounded like I was greatly demotivated after this years' first week, and can't really say that I would feel demotivated, after having experienced nearly the same thing (in case you guys feel bad about the first week's scores).

But, fortunately, I got so lucky on the next weeks in 2009, in terms of game selection and on how I could grind some good lucky runs (plus having, like, punched harder and harder through walls to try to compensate for the first week's disadvantage.. and having more available time than in the following years :p), that I felt that I both have done the best I could, and that I've really surprised myself, with the rewards of having pushed myself to my limits. I don't know if you, teammates, think like this when playing on this tournament, but to me, it's a rare (once per year) chance to dedicate all my efforts into something and test my current abilities, while I get the chance to see many (over 100, at times over 200) other people also doing their best too. It's a rare moment, which (like in the previous years) I want to enjoy fully while it lasts, and which gives me a chance to see the efforts of many other people, and respectable opponents. (anyone who does their best have my respect, because that's how I would like to be, as a person.)

Finally, this is an awesome music, made by awesome people, and fits awesomely as well with what I wanted to express.

This day will last forever
Deep in the hearts of men
Courage and victory
Remember, remember

One Shot At Glory
In the crossfire overhead
Fate stands before me
Words have all been said

One Shot At Glory
Driving hard and seeing red
Destiny calls me
One night of fire
One Shot At Glory
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:19 AM »
Hi, so, what build of MAME is everyone using these days? Currently I have Shmupmame 2.2 and 3.0b, but they are quite outdated now and I'd like to find a current (0.143) build, preferably one that has autofire support. I'm thinking of just going back to vanilla MAME, but that doesn't support autofire, if I remember correctly.

Also, is there any way to change this board's theme back to the dark one? The blue kind of hurts my eyes after a while.