Author Topic: Luminous Dream v1.0.1 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame (COMPLETE)  (Read 69757 times)

Luminous Dream v1.0.1 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame (COMPLETE)
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »
Update (5/8/13): v1.01 released.

Hey! Long time intermittent lurker, second-time poster. I dropped by somewhere in the area of three years ago with some pretty lackluster WIP EX boss battles, which were mostly (and appropriately) ignored. As it happens, I never really stopped working on the project, and suddenly I have a mostly complete game!

Luminous Dream is a full-length Danmakufu 0.12m script, attempting to the best of my ability to emulate the feel of a main-series Touhou game. Features include:
  • Six stages and an Extra stage
  • Four difficulty levels
  • Two playable characters with custom player scripts
  • Nine original boss characters
  • Full character art and dialogue
  • Complete soundtrack of original songs in a Touhou style
  • Four endings

The game follows the story of the two usual heroines, on a day when Gensokyo was consumed by an unexplained darkness. It borrows heavily from the Heavenly Rock Cave myth, and is pretty laid-back. I didn't try to do anything too special with the story this time; it's just another Incident.

Get it here:
CtC-style complete package
Luminous Dream v1.0.1

Just the script and resource directories
Extract this into danmakufu folder

Soundtrack
Click here

You may find the game surprisingly easy! The reason for this is that I have a lot of friends who are interested in Touhou but too intimidated by the actual games, so I wanted to make something that's accessible to more people than normal Touhou games. Each difficulty level is intended to be about half a grade down from normal - Hard should be between Normal and Hard, and so on. Easy was balanced by getting test data from actual beginner data, and so is aimed towards beginner players. By Lunatic, though, it should be hard enough for seasoned players.

So please, download, play, enjoy! This baby has been over four years and about six team members in the making.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:23:02 PM by professor_scissors »

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
Re: Luminous Dream v0.6 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
At first i raged and wrote a wall of ffffuuu text, but then i calmed down so:

The whole game is awesome. The whole except final spell. I mean seriously WTF? I've enjoyed playing through it on normal (wich is really easy compared to most touhou normals), the patterns are fun, the characters are cute. I came to that survival(!) card with 2 lives and 4 bombs and it took me 2 continues to pass it! I didnt get how that "shield" works. Sudden change in game mechanics - never a good thing. If it was some kind of trolling - it was successfull :(

P.S.: You forgot player scripts as separate downloads.
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
The whole game is awesome. The whole except final spell. I mean seriously WTF? I've enjoyed playing through it on normal (wich is really easy compared to most touhou normals), the patterns are fun, the characters are cute. I came to that survival(!) card with 2 lives and 4 bombs and it took me 2 continues to pass it! I didnt get how that "shield" works. Sudden change in game mechanics - never a good thing. If it was some kind of trolling - it was successfull :(

Yeah, I've spent a long time struggling with how to effectively execute that card. I really want to keep it in the game, both because I like it and for the homage value, but it's an endless challenge to figure out how to do it in a way that doesn't invariably slaughter people on their first run through...

P.S.: You forgot player scripts as separate downloads.

Whups! I'll get that up in a bit.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »
Yeah, I've spent a long time struggling with how to effectively execute that card. I really want to keep it in the game, both because I like it and for the homage value, but it's an endless challenge to figure out how to do it in a way that doesn't invariably slaughter people on their first run through...
Replace it with something more reasonable and then call it as optional last spell like "impossible request" or something :)
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

Kumori

• BLAAAAAH.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
I have been waiting so long, buddy. (Actually a week or so, but that feels like an eternity to me, so yeah.) Downloading now.
I cannot think of a good signature, and probably never will.

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »
This game seems promising. LOL but I fail at Lunatic. Oh well, guess I'll play hard mode then. So, where's the download link? LOL I have fail eyesight
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:35:30 PM by PROJECT_MOKOU »
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
Hey there.

Glad to see you're still working on it, heh.

(Now I wish I could just get started on my own fangame <.<)

Kumori

• BLAAAAAH.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
Just played. Very interesting and original danmaku; I like! But because I'm so bad at Touhou, it was hard to dodge.  :blush: Somehow, I made it. The last spellcard, the one with the circle, was incredibly fun! I loved it so much. I feel this game would be better if it had the stage graphics and different backgrounds, though.
I cannot think of a good signature, and probably never will.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Alright...
Just played through this on normal, and some of the patterns felt above normal (namely the single fist one in Stage 2).  Overall it was pretty fun, I died twice before the final spell (Stage 3 boss, stage 5 boss final card), which I got the hang of pretty fast and got to the second to last phase before dying once (btw, you can go through the walls on that phase).  The final phase felt like hard mode at the very least, and that's hard mode from UFO.  It seemed kind of unbalanced between the shot types, there were many points where I was dealing no damage (because I chose Marisa) because I couldn't target the boss.  Reimu doesn't have that problem due to homing.  Nice job on this.

On the extra stage, the spells (except the survival I saw, I got to the 4th spell) took too long.  There's also almost no way of getting lost power back-at 2 power I couldn't kill the first death fairy.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
Hm...You added spell backgrounds but what about stage backgrounds? I'm sure it'll look nicer if you do. ( In case if you don't get what I mean, is that a stage background will be nice and show the areas of the story a little bit. ) Anways, great game!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:51:07 PM by PROJECT_MOKOU »

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 09:49:35 PM »
Added the player scripts to the above post. Addessing some of the points above:

-I like the idea of turning Silhouette Fantasy into a Last Word, actually. Lets me preserve it while not screwing over players who don't mesh with its unusual play style. If I do this, though, I'll probably make Monochrome Universe a bit longer...
-Yes, the game is in dire need of stage backgrounds, but I have no artistic ability. Anyone interested in helping me out on that one?
-I actually have had problems with Rocket Punch too, I've been meaning to nerf it. I probably will on the next version.
-I'm not sure how to really deal with Marisa being underbalanced in a solid way without just getting rid of certain interesting spellcards. Royal Rainbow is especially problematic... any thoughts?
-Good call on the EX stage, I hadn't really considered the effects of losing shot power when I designed that bit. Perhaps some rebalancing is in order...

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
-Yes, the game is in dire need of stage backgrounds, but I have no artistic ability. Anyone interested in helping me out on that one?

I'd like to help in that one. I do have time actually. So, what you have in mind for stage 1?

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
I'd like to help in that one. I do have time actually. So, what you have in mind for stage 1?
I'll throw you a PM with my thoughts when I can gather them. Thanks!

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

Are the bullets the default Danmakufu? If so, I can give you a ZUN shot replace sheet for you to update on the bullets.

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
Are the bullets the default Danmakufu? If so, I can give you a ZUN shot replace sheet for you to update on the bullets.

The only real change I particularly want to make for the bullet textures is for the lightning on two of Kyokukou's spellcards. I'll fiddle with expanded bullet sheets on my next project.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 10:42:35 PM »
The only real change I particularly want to make for the bullet textures is for the lightning on two of Kyokukou's spellcards. I'll fiddle with expanded bullet sheets on my next project.
Okay then, best of luck!

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
I do say, I think stage 1 should be the Hakurei Shrine. If that's what your thinking
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:44:57 PM by PROJECT_MOKOU »

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 01:26:14 AM »
Wow, this is awesome.  I really enjoyed playing it and for the most part, it wasn't bullshitty on Normal which was nice.  I like some of the creative danmaku you have going and the last bosses final spell was really fun, and after I spent the first 20 seconds figuring out what to do, almost captured it. :V
I will back that stage backgrounds and such will make this shine in an amazing way and it was fun for me.

I think off the top of my head only a few stage 3 boss spells and like 1 or 2 stage 5 spells really made me go "lolwhat (die)" and that the final spell itself doesn't balance to one difficulty as it switches from hard to harder etc.

Initial Normal playthrough replay if you want to use it for reactions to things and stuff.

Overall, really good job on this.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 02:12:41 AM »
Say, are you going to say in like the music room, where from and who made each piece of music of your game?
I plan to be doing that in my own project, so yeah.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:12:56 AM »
I think off the top of my head only a few stage 3 boss spells and like 1 or 2 stage 5 spells really made me go "lolwhat (die)" and that the final spell itself doesn't balance to one difficulty as it switches from hard to harder etc.
Could you name which spell cards? I know a lot of Akeno's stuff I've had trouble with having unclear mechanics, most notably the ones with the red detection circles. And also, if you can think of it, ways to make the cards more fair?

Thanks for the replay!

Say, are you going to say in like the music room, where from and who made each piece of music of your game?
I plan to be doing that in my own project, so yeah.
I don't have any plans at present to add a music room, but I link back to the source in the readme.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
-I'm not sure how to really deal with Marisa being underbalanced in a solid way without just getting rid of certain interesting spellcards. Royal Rainbow is especially problematic... any thoughts?
These cards are split into 2 catergories: boss movements and player movements.
For the ones where the player has to move, you could have the boss move towards the player, like a lot of ZUNs spells.
For the boss moving ones, replacing the boss with a familiar and leaving the boss above the player fixes it, unless that's too much work.

Attaching my normal replay because other people did.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 03:36:56 AM »
You can see where I got raped on stage 3 :V

But yeah that first one with the red circle detection, I didn't even get that was the gimmick the first time I saw it, I thought they just shot out after some time.  Which I guess could balance it out, have a charge up effect or some warning as to when they will fire instead of just, step here and die. :V
Her second to last one actually got really hard my first time seeing it because I guess I got lost from the trail you're supposed to follow which makes it way easier but yeah, I don't know how to make that easier.
Her last card is like rape on a stick if you touch one of the circles, which I guess is the point it's just not obvious that's what sets all of the bullets off, maybe have her back up or slow the bullets or something?  Again maybe a warning that could say "You set this off" like maybe have a red glow effect around your character after you touch it, then fire the bullets could work.  A warning Sound Effect may be helpful too.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:12 AM »
These cards are split into 2 catergories: boss movements and player movements.
For the ones where the player has to move, you could have the boss move towards the player, like a lot of ZUNs spells.
For the boss moving ones, replacing the boss with a familiar and leaving the boss above the player fixes it, unless that's too much work.
The familiar thing is a good thought! I'll at least do that for Royal Rainbow, maybe a couple others. Akeno could stand to move towards the player, too... it's not like she's doing anything up there most of the time.

And the replays really help, guys! I'm looking at Schezo's, and it's making me think that the latter half of Stage 4 is too busy, among other things.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 04:22:11 AM »
OK, after this thread so far, and watching both replays, I'm thinking these are the changes to make:

-Nerf Rocket Punch on Normal.
-Make Akeno move on some spellcards to follow the player.
-Make Royal Rainbow fire out of a familiar while Houko floats around the upper screen.
-Stretch out the pacing on the last half of Stage 4 a bit.
-Change Akeno's detection nets - when you step in, an alarm will sound, and it'll start spinning faster and faster. After a second or two, game time.
-Make Houko's final attack a Last Word.

Any other suggestions before I get cracking on this set?

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
OK, after this thread so far, and watching both replays, I'm thinking these are the changes to make:

-Nerf Rocket Punch on Normal.
-Make Akeno move on some spellcards to follow the player.
-Make Royal Rainbow fire out of a familiar while Houko floats around the upper screen.
-Stretch out the pacing on the last half of Stage 4 a bit.
-Change Akeno's detection nets - when you step in, an alarm will sound, and it'll start spinning faster and faster. After a second or two, game time.
-Make Houko's final attack a Last Word.

Any other suggestions before I get cracking on this set?

Make the first boss have a slightly longer delay before vanishing. And maybe a little harder.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
So please, download, play, enjoy, give feedback!
Played hard and extra(fail @ final spell for both).

I liked attacks that:
*require thinking, dodging, reflexes
*unfold fast enough
*have character
*were cleverly designed

Many regular enemies get to escape which is something i have to get used to. The stage portions progressed at a good pace - not too fast or too slow.

Music - was ok; sound effects - good.

Story - skipped/dont care; art - dont care.

There were some unenjoyable attacks:
*sometimes damaging the boss was very difficult - either time out or bomb to pass
*reminds too much of something from touhou
*boring
*a bit unfair (could also be just me not understanding the strategy for some)

Game dynamics - slightly negative due to it being exactly like touhou.

Overall i would say it was fun. I will probably play it again later :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:59:18 AM by touhoumaniac »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 04:44:04 AM »
Ok, played through a bit of it, just up to stage 3.

Um... Would you like a shotsheet to use? Danmakufu's default bullets are sorta ugly, so I'm making my own shotsheet for my own game.

Eh... I lied about that. I put it off up until now. I just finished playing up to Stage 3.

[22:12] <Trickysticks> Luminous dream has some pretty good ideas
[22:12] <Trickysticks> But *default bullets*
[22:12] <Trickysticks> xP
[22:12] <~Konyllis> Never played it :V
[22:12] <~Konyllis> (I lied to him)
[22:12] <Trickysticks> But then
[22:13] <Trickysticks> How did you know the extra stage boss had your old theme
[22:13] <Trickysticks> :V
[22:14] <~Konyllis> Hmm?
[22:14] <~Konyllis> I watched the video.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:19:23 AM by alt-kyuu-kyuu »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
I randomly decided to play this at 1 in the morning. LET'S GO.

First notes...
Stage 3 boss? The one with the detection nets? Yeah, those are already mentioned here.
Stage 6 boss's last pattern? I read some of the earliest posts here and I wasn't expecting... That. My reaction to encountering it for the first time was
Spoiler:
IKARUGA FUCK YEAH
. I captured it first try, by the way.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
I noticed that
Spoiler:
// Set point goals for extra lives
// Full game: 200, 400, 600, 800, 1200
// Extra stage: 250

task TnormPoint(extra) {
   if(extra) {
      SetNormPoint(250);
      while(GetPoint < 250) {
         yield;
      }
      ExtendPlayer(1);

SetNormPoint(9999);
   } else {

You only get one extend from Extra stage. Shouldn't you follow Touhou 8 and go from 0 > 250 > 666 > 9999 points like that? Or do it like Touhou 7, where you just get lives normally (50 > 100 > 150 > 200 > 250 > .....)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »
You only get one extend from Extra stage. Shouldn't you follow Touhou 8 and go from 0 > 250 > 666 > 9999 points like that? Or do it like Touhou 7, where you just get lives normally (50 > 100 > 150 > 200 > 250 > .....)
PCB extra has extends at 200, 500, 800 and (unreachable) 1400 (I think this is the value)
PCB main game has extends at 50, 125, 200, 300, 450, 800 and every 200 thereafter.
The extra stage definitely needs toning down though, especially that last midboss spell.