Author Topic: A thing about Shot Data Maker...  (Read 4835 times)

A thing about Shot Data Maker...
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:27:06 AM »
Long story short to evade randomness and forced narrative: I'm getting started on Danmakufu 0.12m scripting and i tried using ShotDataMaker. The thing is, the program would not work.
Whenever i try to open the program, an error message appears saying (warning, roughly translated from Spanish to English):
"This file version is not compatible with the Windows version that's being used. Check the system's information to know if it's needed either a x86 (32 bits) or a x64 (64 bits) version of the program and then get in contact with your provider."
I really don't know what this means (it explicitly says that i need to check the system's information, but i don't know how to do that either, sorry  :V). I tried using different compatibility modes but the was no dice. Anybody knows anything or have been victim of this problem?...
It's not a do-die matter but still...
(I really hope this topic gets approved  :ohdear:)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Re: A thing about Shot Data Maker...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »
If it doesn't work, then make it manually. That way you will learn and understand (hopefully) what you're actually doing. And besides, player script shots won't be made for you either.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
true true, you have a very good point, thank you, i do have a bit of knowledge on bullets design but it's far from being... reliable :v then, I'll just get back on research...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
I suggest you replicate the shot data definition files for sets of bullet graphics that already exist. For example, the ripped bullet graphics from the official Touhou games are a good start.
This is all for practice, of course.

BY the way, I'm just curious, but why is it that you're starting with shot data definitions rather than, say, players or boss fights... or have you gotten those down pat already?

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
i don't know, i just searched up a tutorial  for this and that's the first thing it started talking about, after of course explaining things like the "#whatever" on top of the script  :V is it more difficult to start with this first rather than starting with bosses and players? (i am actually interested on making player scripts and boss rushes)
i downloaded Concealed The Conclusion bullet graphics and managed to get them working by the way...
i think that i got into this first because i started fooling around trying to replicate DoDonPachi's 1st boss patterns :v

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »
I think bosses would be a lot easier to learn, in my honest opinion. Shotdata should probably be one of the things you do later on in your career.

At least, that's how I learned Danmakufu. Not sure about anyone else, so...

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:32 PM »
mmm now that you mention it... you're right  :V
but what do you mean exactly by the bosses? things like behaviour, design, movement, battle progression, etc...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 12:32:05 AM »
First, start with danmaku design. This includes bullets, movement, and whatnot.
Then string the attacks all together.
The last part should be giving it better-looking graphics, sound, and music.

Custom players, dialogue, and custom systems (cutins, HUD, spell name, lifebar, etc.) are completely optional, but I like to put them in my script because they look good. I'm sure my own scripts would be nowhere as appealing as they are if I removed all the pretty effects.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:07:51 AM »
OK, I'll make sure to take an in-depth look on all this...
...although i have one thing to ask:
is it possible to "emulate" a CAVE-like boss behaviour into Danmakufu and Touhou's trademark spell card system?  I'm not sure how to explain this to make the point more clear...

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 02:26:42 AM »
OK, I'll make sure to take an in-depth look on all this...
...although i have one thing to ask:
is it possible to "emulate" a CAVE-like boss behaviour into Danmakufu and Touhou's trademark spell card system?  I'm not sure how to explain this to make the point more clear...

Let me redirect you to a number of CAVE-esque boss battles done for the RaNGE 10 Contest a year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8EQvHjt3oA&list=PLJ2F_5rhjlXT1kzX8UkVRlwFyG_rPcj0h&index=9 (Formless Mass)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUg5LlJobng&list=PLJ2F_5rhjlXT1kzX8UkVRlwFyG_rPcj0h&index=20 (Sasupoika)

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 02:47:13 AM »
are all of the RaNGE 10 Contest videos CAVE-esque boss battles?

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 03:07:30 AM »
meh nevermind, i just saw that not all of them are CAVE-ish...
both videos, though, have very clever design, but... what's the true difference between 0.12m and ph3? i know that i can easily search up for this on any touhou wiki but i need to hear it from someone whom has been hit by their bullets  :V
also, i totally forgot about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AQw6s-VCQ

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 03:59:33 AM »
what's the true difference between 0.12m and ph3?

0.12m is no longer actively supported by the developer. As such, it is relatively outdated compared to ph3. (For instance, ph3 supports actual Full Games, Pixel Shaders)

On the other side, 0.12m has more tutorials than ph3 does... but the difference between 0.12m and ph3 code wise isn't that far off. There's still @Mainloop, @Initialize, etc.

The key difference is that 0.12m does a lot of hand holding, but is also really restrictive because of it. With ph3, it is, by far, more easily modified compared to 0.12m. And personally, I think it's fairly easy to grasp what's happening with the default samples provided, and if there's any questions there's always the pinned Q&A thread.

Also, with ph3, you're likely to end up using tasks a lot more. You'd also preferably want to learn how to use tasks instead of using @Mainloop, but if you're just starting out, you don't have to really worry about it until you get the hang of it.

Also, if you're barely starting with danmakufu, I strongly suggest starting with ph3, as it is still being updated. There are currently efforts to improve the amount of tutorials for it, as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:14:14 AM by gtbot »

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 04:03:40 AM »
what a dilemma... by any chance, does ph3 take more CPU-power to work? my computer is kind of outdated too...

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 04:13:50 AM »
For general use, ph3 does not take more CPU-power. Of course, it depends entirely on what the script is doing (heavy usage of invalid rendering/RenderToTexture will likely cause problems on lower end computers)

While being idle at the menu, ph3 uses almost half the amount of CPU usage as 0.12m does.

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 04:17:03 AM »
I MUST GET IT WITHOUT HASTE THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...i still have to keep 012m around right? i read somewhere that scripts are not read the same or something like that... i might as well try to translate one or two once i learn how to do so...

EDIT: i just made up that i said "without haste" when i wanted to mean all the opposite :V
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:19:12 PM by BlazervaniaX »

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 04:19:00 AM »
You cannot directly put a 0.12m script into ph3.

You can keep 0.12m around to play older scripts, or scripts of users who have not yet switched over to ph3 (there are very few).

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 04:25:15 AM »
ok...
so, script language and whatsnot aside, does ph3 need to be opened just like 0.12m? you know, applocale and stuff...

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 04:33:25 AM »
No, you do not need Applocale to open ph3. You should be able to download and open it just fine.

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 04:40:49 AM »
oh okay...
thank you all, this will prove to be useful in the middle future... i hope  :V

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
this will prove to be useful in the middle future... i hope  :V

...near future. Beginners learn very very quickly. And then they hit a carrying capacity like me and go off to do other things. -_-

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
I said middle because the time that will take me to do something is not near nor far but nevermind :V i didn't get what you meant with the rest though