Author Topic: Russia has been banned from the 2018 Winter Games  (Read 4111 times)

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
Russia has been banned from the 2018 Winter Games
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Citing ?systematic manipulation? of anti-doping rules, a 14-person International Olympic Committee panel announced Tuesday it has banned Russia from the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang. The panel had been mulling a confidential IOC report that detailed Russia?s official doping program during the 2014 Sochi Olympics, and the extensive cover-up.
As a result of this ban, no Russian officials will be allowed to attend the games. Their flag will be excluded from any display, and if any Russian athletes are given permission to attend, they won?t be competing under the Russian flag. They?ll compete under a neutral flag, and any medals they win won?t be credited to Russia.
https://sports.yahoo.com/russia-banned-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang-183735604.html

Has there been anything this... expansive before? 

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Russia has been banned from the 2018 Winter Games
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »
A long time coming, and well deserved.  Russia has perhaps the most blatantly overt doping system in professional sports.

Sucks for the innocent athletes affected, but this is the only possible outcome.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
Wonder what the neutral flag looks like?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »

It's just the Olympic flag.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Like I'm not really up to date on Olympics stuff but it feels stunning that the IOC made such a move. I'm glad it happened.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »

A person attending the Olympics under a 'neutral' flag; for whatever reason; will compete under the Olympic Flag; with the national code 'IOA [Independent Olympic Athletes].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Olympians_at_the_Olympic_Games

Notable reasons for competeing under the IOA flag:

- Home country is banned but the athlete themselves is proven clean and still qualifies
- A major issue with the country's National Olympic Committee [India had this in the 2014 Winter Olympics. Kuwait had it in 2016; South Sudan in 2012 had not yet formed it's committee]
- Refugees
- The nation is in the process of becoming Independent but isn't fully so yet [East Timor in 2000]
- The country is in such a state of flux there simply isn't a flag to compete under [Ex-Soviet Union; 1992]
- Under UN Sanctions that stops the country itself competeing [But people of that nationality who live abroad could compete under a neutral flag; Yugoslavia in 1992]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:17:01 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
Russia has been doping under government orders since as far back as the 1940s. Its a surprise they managed to avoid being caught red-handed for over half a century (well, USSR did get caught at least once, but that was when the concept of doping is still relatively unknown to the Olympic commitees) ...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...