Author Topic: Touhou survival spell card list - up to HSiFS  (Read 14336 times)

Touhou survival spell card list - up to HSiFS
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
Ever since I started playing Touhou, I have been amazed by survival spell cards. They are Touhou itself, pattern you have to survive long enough for timer set by your opponent to run out. Ultimate peaceful battle.

Here is a list of every survival card.

Story mode:
Yuyuko - "Resurrection Butterfly - 10 / 30 / 50 / 80% Reflowering-"
Aya - "Illusionary Dominance" / "Peerless Wind God"
Murasa - Ghost "Sinker Ghost" / Ghost "Dipper Creeping Close"
Shinmyoumaru - Mallet "You Grow Bigger!"
Clownpiece - Prison Sign "Hell Eclipse" / Prison Sign "Eclipse of Hell"
Clownpiece - "Fake Apollo" / "Apollo Hoax Theory"
Junko - "Overflowing Impurity" / "Cleansing of Earthen Impurity"

Extra mode:
Flandre - Secret Barrage "And Then Will There Be None?"
Ran - "Kokkuri-san's Contract"
Yukari - "Boundary of Humans and Youkai"
Yukari - Yukari's Arcanum "Danmaku Barrier"
Mokou - "Possessed by Phoenix"
Suwako - Native God "Red Frog of Houei 4"
Suwako - "Suwa War ~ Native Myth vs Central Myth"
Koishi - Response "Youkai Polygraph"
Koishi - "Philosophy of a Hated Person"
Nue - "Nightmare of Heiankyou"
Mamizou - "Mamizou Danmaku in Ten Transformations"
Raiko - "Blue Lady Show"
Hecatia - "Trinitarian Rhapsody"
Okina - "The Rear Face's Dark Sarugaku"

Last word / Last spell:
Reimu - "Fantasy Nature"
Marisa - "Blazing Star"
Yukari - "Profound Danmaku Barrier -Phantasm, Foam and Shadow-"
Eirin - Forbidden Arcanum "Hourai Elixir"
Kaguya - "End of Imperishable Night -New Moon- / -Crescent Moon- / -1st Quarter's Moon- / -Matsuyoi-"
Kaguya - "End of Imperishable Night -11 o' Clock- / -Half to Midnight- / -Midnight- / -Half Past Midnight-"
Kaguya - "End of Imperishable Night -1 o' Clock- / -Half Past 1- / -Dead of Night- / -Half Past 2-"
Kaguya - "End of Imperishable Night -3 o' Clock- / -Half Past 3- / -4 o' Clock- / -Half Past 4-"
Kaguya - "End of Imperishable Night -Morning Mist- / -Dawn- / -Morning Star- / -Rising World-"
Mokou - "Imperishable Shooting"

Spin-off:
Alice - Testing "Goliath Doll"
Marisa - "Blazing Star-like Tag"
Mokou - "Fire Bird -Legend of Immortality-"
Mokou - "Until This Life, Repeated Countless Times, Burns Away"

Please tell me if I forgot any.

Wouldn't it be awesome to play a Touhou game that consists only of survivals?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:43:45 AM by Valar »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Re: Touhou guide to survival
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
ISC 3-7 sort of counts. You're technically capturing the same spell over and over, but overall it acts as a single survival spell where it doesn't count as clearing the stage unless you survive the time limit.

I think one of the fighting games might have survival spells too? At least I think I recall seeing one or more in a video before.

Also Marisa's "Blazing Star-like Tag" belongs in the Extra category.

Notably Touhou 6, 12.8, and 13 have only 1 survival spell in the game (the obligatory Extra 9th spell). IN has the most, of course. Perhaps listing which game it's in would be relevant too.

As for survivals only... wouldn't it get sort of boring? I suppose the timers would need to be a lot shorter on average (see: Kaguya's Last Spell rush at the end, maybe even shorter).

Edit: Perhaps you should also change the thread title to the effect of "Touhou survival spell list". Right now it sounds like it'd be general advice on how survive in Touhou games (e.g. practice a lot, bomb in advance of when you think you'd get hit, and such).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:52:30 PM by Karisa »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou guide to survival
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »
I think one of the fighting games might have survival spells too? At least I think I recall seeing one or more in a video before.
You're probably thinking of Testing "Goliath Doll", Alice's last attack in Cirno's story in Hisoutensoku.

Wouldn't it be awesome to play a Touhou game that consists only of survivals?
I would disagree with this. While Touhou has plenty of unique elements about it, it is still a shooting game series at its core, where shooting at (or in the photo games' case, taking pictures of) and defeating enemies is the standard. Having only survival attacks would fly in the face of that (though "pacifist" runs with the current games are still the player's choice at least).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:18:11 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Re: Touhou survival spell card list
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
Edited. Thank you)

I didn't mean this game to be a chained rush, more like DS / ISC.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
I think you missed Mokou's "Imperishable Shooting".

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
Oops. Thanks)

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
It's not actually a survival spell, but Koishi's Rorschach in Danmaku counts as captured if you time it out, same with Nue's last spell iirc

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
I didn't mean this game to be a chained rush, more like DS / ISC.
Sounds cool! I would totally play it.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
Hmm... I just checked the Imperishable Night in-game spell list, and Reimu's Last Word is called "Fantasy Heaven", not "Fantasy Nature". Also, Kaguya's first Last Spell is "-First Day's Moon-" (not "-New Moon-") on Easy, and "-Paschal Moon-" (not "-Matsuyoi-") on Lunatic. (I wonder if you were looking at a different English translation for those, but that's what I'm seeing in the IN game I have right now.)

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
I personally wouldn't like it if the games consisted purely of Survival spells: Part of what makes them unique is the fact that they are used fairly rarely. And the game would lose the "Shooting" part as well. Its a Lose/Lose situation IMO.

That begin said, a Spin Off consisting solely of them does not sound that bad...

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »
I used translations from touhouwiki. They are usually a bit more correct.

I changed "Fantasy Nature" to "Fantasy Heaven". "New Moon" is, imo, better. "Paschal" is just incorrect: Matsuyoi (待宵, lit. waiting evening) is the night of the 14th day of 8th lunar month. The next night's moon is the mid-autumn full moon, which the Japanese celebrate with a moon-viewing festival (お月見 otsukimi).

For some reason, I can't change "Buddha" to "Buddha". Strange. Does anyone know why?

Edit: lol. Is there a ban on english word for "Kami"?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:37:20 PM by valar »

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
Edit: lol. Is there a ban on english word for "Kami"?

Nope you just can't say G-O-D. Everytime you say G-O-D it will be changed to Buddha.
Example:
God.
Mwahahahahha!

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »
Don't you see that huge message at the top of main page, silly? We're all Buddhist now.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 07:31:22 PM »
Buddhism is now the official (and only) religion of Maidens of the Kaleidoscope.
Haha, good one.

Survivals should be more like PCB, IN and TD, where grazing/shooting play a rewarding role in survival spells based on which of the three being played. Without spell card grazing in the later titles the challenges feel a bit more relegated, although the focus is simpler.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »
Sounds like some April Fools' joke... A day late. Not sure why it hasn't been reverted yet.

Well then, all hail the Random Number Buddhadess and the Virtue of Peerless Wind Buddha!?

"God"
Also look, filter bypass yay.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:05:08 PM by Karisa »

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
Don't you see that huge message at the top of main page, silly? We're all Buddhist now.
I've seen it. Haven't you seen the title at the Len'en project.
Brilliant Pagoda Castle...
Mwahahahahha!

Drake

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 03:47:58 AM »
Hmm... I just checked the Imperishable Night in-game spell list, and Reimu's Last Word is called "Fantasy Heaven", not "Fantasy Nature". Also, Kaguya's first Last Spell is "-First Day's Moon-" (not "-New Moon-") on Easy, and "-Paschal Moon-" (not "-Matsuyoi-") on Lunatic. (I wonder if you were looking at a different English translation for those, but that's what I'm seeing in the IN game I have right now.)
The IN in-game translations are often not very good.
I changed "Fantasy Nature" to "Fantasy Heaven". "New Moon" is, imo, better. "Paschal" is just incorrect: Matsuyoi (待宵, lit. waiting evening) is the night of the 14th day of 8th lunar month. The next night's moon is the mid-autumn full moon, which the Japanese celebrate with a moon-viewing festival (お月見 otsukimi).
Why change Fantasy Nature to Heaven? "Heaven" has been long standing in the fandom, but it isn't correct. 天性 refers to the technique being part of Reimu's innate ability, and is explicitly said to be so in GoM.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
Also:
It's not actually a survival spell, but Koishi's Rorschach in Danmaku counts as captured if you time it out, same with Nue's last spell iirc
Marisa's final spell in GFW does that too. None of those three lose spell bonus over time (though I think it may have been by accident for Rorschach in Danmaku, since you lose the life part and point items for timing it out, when Koishi's two real survival spells give them).

The laser drains your spell bonus as usual though, so in practice, it's not much of a spellcard bonus. It does, however, count as a gold medal.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
Guess you are right) Reverted back to "Nature".

I decided not to include cards that you can time-out for bonus. They are not designed for this purpose, it's just a bonus.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 02:31:48 AM »
I decided not to include cards that you can time-out for bonus. They are not designed for this purpose, it's just a bonus.
I agree; their structure isn't the same as survival spells are.

There's also a spell that's the opposite, by the way-- Mokou's "Possessed by Phoenix" is possible to capture by depleting her health, by using the MAlice cannon trick on the familiars.

Re: Touhou survival spell card list - up to LoLK (spoilers)!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
I have been waiting for LoLK, and was not disappointed - it gave us not just one or two, but four different survival spellcards!

Translation provided by gilde. Thanks!

Re: Touhou survival spell card list - up to HSiFS
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
Update for HSiFS. Only one survival here, in the extra-revenge stage by Okina Matara.

Also, added Mokou's final spell from ULiL extra. It does technically has a life bar, but it reduces with time rather than with incoming damage, so I think it qualifies as a survival.

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »
Actually Okina doesn't have a timer spell, because when you use release to get rid of the laser, Okina loses her invincebility, i don't know if it is intentional or not, but you can capture it the normal way.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »
Actually Okina doesn't have a timer spell, because when you use release to get rid of the laser, Okina loses her invincebility, i don't know if it is intentional or not, but you can capture it the normal way.

It's almost certainly a bug.