Author Topic: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server ( Down for the season )  (Read 235059 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server ( 1.1 Update! )
« Reply #510 on: February 06, 2012, 05:37:10 PM »
Alright, I've just completed the final backup.

Hope everyone had fun with the server, despite a thousand crashes and world moves. Not sure when we'll be back but hopefully it'll be late this spring. Who knows what exciting useless crap Jeb will have added to the game by then!

(I guess I could put the server up if you really wanted me to, but it would only be til it gets taken down tomorrow and whatever you did wouldn't be carried over.)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server ( Down for the season )
« Reply #511 on: February 06, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
Let's put the server back up for the night and blow up the world

And certainly, MC server has been a great and fun place to be in over the 9 months I've played SMP, and for that I say thanks for hosting and supporting it so far. ;)
* EP eagerly awaits server return....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:46:50 PM by LOLSQUID 짬뽕 스페셜 »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

puremrz

• Can't stop playing Minecraft!
Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server ( 1.1 Update! )
« Reply #512 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
Alright, I've just completed the final backup.

Hope everyone had fun with the server, despite a thousand crashes and world moves. Not sure when we'll be back but hopefully it'll be late this spring. Who knows what exciting useless crap Jeb will have added to the game by then!

(I guess I could put the server up if you really wanted me to, but it would only be til it gets taken down tomorrow and whatever you did wouldn't be carried over.)

I vote for nuking the old world and releasing Ender Dragons :3
At least let it go out with a bang instead of a sizzle! :V
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:06:49 PM by puremrz »
Full Danmakufu game "Juuni Jumon - Summer Interlude" is done!
By the same person who made Koishi Hell 1,2 (except this game is serious)
Topic: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9647.0.html

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #513 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »
And so it went offline.

Thanks for the fun time spent together. I am looking forward to seeing you guys mining and crafting (and building) again together later in the future.

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
« Reply #514 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »
Well it's been fun, but it isn't over either. Maybe I'll actually start getting my homework done on time (nah I've still got tf2, drawing, and a console)!  :V Looking forward to blowing you all up playing with you all again later! Late spring though? So not until around May you think?
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #515 on: February 08, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
Late spring though? So not until around May you think?

Hopefully not that late, but we'll see. Nothing is really certain for me right now.

puremrz

« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
I saw the MotK server was up with 1 person inside.
Couldn't enter though, as it gave me the message "kicked by admin" when I tried.
Does this mean we're about to re-enable the server, or was it some kind of oddity?

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »
If this is true, I'll totally help with the upkeep costs for everything this time around. :V I MISS MY WOLVES.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #518 on: March 29, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Sunny had a similar story a few days ago with 2 people on the server IP; she notified me and Strafe about it soon afterwards.

I confirmed with Strafe yesterday that since we shut down our server there entirely, most likely it is another server using our old server's IP address, and that if our server goes up again, it will have a new one. Alas, that breaks our hopes, but such seems to be the case.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:18:52 PM by デモパン Hat Traders »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #519 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
Indeed, that is most likely the case. We would let you guys know if we were preparing to reopen. (not to mention, limit the whitelist further while doing setup :V)

On that note, it seems that we will still need some more time before we're ready to reopen. I know it sucks... and I'm sorry for the continued wait. Could be worse. We could be waiting for Half Life Episode 3 :getdown:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #520 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
Tentative date for re-opening is early May. Sorry, work is more stable now but I'm still catching up on bills.

So hey let's talk about the world. With the new map height and biomes, dare we create yet another world and go through the import process again? World 2 wasn't too popular so I doubt we'll try the mirror world thing again, but apparently the new file format is much more efficient and we have way more filesize to work with than I thought, so we would have a larger World 1 and some ~*~bonus worlds~*~ instead.

« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
Well it was mostly just me and sunny building in world 2.
So the buildings would have to be taken from there if we were just to keep with a larger single world.

If we start an entire new map then all that would have to be done anyways.

I think its mostly up to strafe imo.

« Reply #522 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
I haven't played Minecraft since we shut down, so I don't really know how the new height limit affects previous maps. Honestly, I figured that we'd have to do another import session simply because of the new height limit. Yeah, there is the Jungle biome as well, but I was thinking of a clever workaround to introduce them into our current maps.

Truth be told, the more we explored our current worlds, the more I had grown to dislike them. Sure, I like the vast oceans, but dammit there were too many! When previewing the map seeds, I didn't run into that much water... how ironic. Not too many people have reservations on specific biome types to build their homes in (aside from Cadmas and PX, who prefer snow biomes). I'm sure that we can search out a new world that has a decent snowfield area for them.

Regarding imports: I know that I swore off doing them again, but I figured this scenario was bound to pop up. It just felt that every time we would settle into a world, Notch Jeb would go and change the world again. I'm not against doing another schematic session, but there are some areas that I will be concerned on importing.

-Hakurei City (Sparda's town) was the biggest issue last time around, due to its sheer dimensions.. Now it has more than doubled its size. There are a few options to weigh in on this import: Import the town offline, and then upload the new map version back to the server (more downtime right after we come back); I try to split the town up into segments and pray that I can reassemble them correctly in the new world; Or split the town up into its various buildings and construct a new town setup, but that would mean that Sparda would have to build an entirely new set of walls himself...

-Cadmas Land is even larger than Sparda's town, but it is wide and spread out. I don't think that Cadmas would oppose splitting it up into segments like we've done before.. but it is a shame that all of his landscaping work over the months would be in vain. I could try to import it all in one go, but we would have to make sure there is a big enough snow area to plop it down in.

-PX's grinder. I've imported this a few times, so I know that it does generate some server lag during the transfer. It's a shame that PX disappeared after the last import, so I'd likely wait a bit before bringing this one back again.

-EP World Trade Center. Not as bad as the other contenders, but it is tricky to import since it reaches from bedrock to the skybox. Knowing EP, he'd want to expand the tower to reflect the new height limit, which thankfully wasn't implemented at the time of our shutdown. This import shouldn't be anything I haven't done before.

-Tanuki Land (puremrz)- I'm not sure what the plans are on moving this area. Hopefully he wouldn't be opposed to splitting it up and handling it in segments. If it were to be kept as one whole region, then it would be a contender along the lines of CadmasLand and Hakutown.

-Hourai Village. I didn't have too much trouble importing this last time, but I'm not sure how much Hourai had expanded since then.

Those are the areas that come to mind that would possibly cause some issues with gameplay on the server during import. Like I said, I'm not against doing another wave of imports. (it was bound to happen again; I'm cursed like that :V) I'll get the ball rolling on my end and start drafting out schematics based upon the final backup.

Stuffman, it looks like I will need that final backup after all. :V  I'll also look into World Edit singleplayer to aid my schematic composition.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:28:23 AM by Dr.Strafe »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #523 on: March 30, 2012, 01:25:41 AM »
Previous maps remain intact on the new world file system. I had a backup of World1 as well, from Stuffman, and aside from the double doors all needing a manual fix (since they were 'patched'  in pre-1.2 snapshots) everything seems as I remember it!

And I'm thinking more along the lines of building a new tower. As awesome as the old one is, I think a whole new building is in order. :V
Bad command or file name

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #524 on: March 30, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »
Bah, looking at Strafe's list, another world move is probably a bad idea. There's just too many huge constructions now to make it practical.

Regenerating huge swaths of World 1 will also get messy, but I want us to have a jungle at least. Any clever suggestions?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #525 on: March 30, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »
Keep the first two worlds (albeit converted for the new layout) and make a third for newer features, which will remain cutting-edge and get wiped entirely with every update that adds/modifies the biome settings.
Bad command or file name

« Reply #526 on: March 30, 2012, 05:55:24 AM »
Don't completely rule out the /regen option. We can use World Edit to smooth out the edges. The only tricky part is finding some jungles that don't overlap existing claimed areas. We could also do this to many of the oceans around the world to give us more land to play on.

Just a suggestion if you would rather keep our old setup.

« Reply #527 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
You didn't mention my underground stuff :D
good that my underground will not have any terrain issues  :V

Just for info, I took a break of Minecraft after I played way to much during Christmas, but the server got shut down when I wanted to start again  :ohdear:

« Reply #528 on: March 30, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
You didn't mention my underground stuff :D
I knew I was forgetting another one! :V Yep. Add Chireiden one to the list of significant schematics.

puremrz

« Reply #529 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
What EP said.
Since the new format is less heavy than the old, we can add another world for new features, maybe just use it to copy stuff into the old worlds (and get rid of all that water in the progres).
I'm a bit against moving so many schematics into another world, since world generation will keep on changing more and more in later versions.

Strafe: The part that I "claimed" for Tanuki-land goes from around my house to the south-west, in the direction of the school, most the foresty area (with and without snow) and a bit of the swamp and desert. ... I'm making it sound rather big now.
Not the whole desert per se, I don't like the pyramid that much anyway. (And the desert is all ugly because of craters from my Disc hunts/sandstone collecting :V)

*waiting for May until Tanuki-land can become Tanuki-and-cats-land*

Freyband

« Reply #530 on: March 30, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
One more idea you can add to your possibilities is just import a jungle(s) from an existing map and put it (them) somewhere in world 1 (and 2 if it's kept). I'm not too sure (haven't been playing much since the server went down), but can't jungle biomes be made artificially (just something I remember hearing awhile ago)? Oh also remember to grab the nether wart farm if we do switch maps (and possibly the slime spawner, but that might just be too much of a pain in the neck).
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

« Reply #531 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »
There's a catch with importing Jungles that way. While you import the blocks, you don't change the biome of where you paste the import. If I were to import a Jungle anywhere, it would look like a Jungle, but would still be Tundra or something. This means that ocelots won't spawn there. I would have to search the same world seed in 1.2, find a Jungle and jot down its coordinates. Then, it's just a matter of finding those coordinates in our world and /regen that region and smooth out the edges. This is just theory based upon previous world changes, so I'm not sure if it will work out..

Hm... it just hit me. If the biome structure has indeed changed across our worlds, then that means that areas like Cadmas Land are at risk. There might not be a guarantee that the snow would fall there anymore..

Dammit, Mojang.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #532 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
I just remembered, there are plugins that can change biomes, we'll probably need to use those.

That means you could paste a jungle anywhere and I could change that area to jungle biome. I could also turn on/off snow in any area.

« Reply #533 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »
Huh. That is indeed interesting. Stuffman is now Din, the Oracle of Seaons. :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #534 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »
I just remembered, there are plugins that can change biomes, we'll probably need to use those.
All right, time to go back to Bukkit forums and find a few, as well as extra mods :V

(speaking of which, we still haven't gotten our Weather Control and CHDistantFarm, which we were hoping for back in 1.1)
Bad command or file name

« Reply #535 on: March 31, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
So this would make us at 6% vanilla now? :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #536 on: March 31, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
I thought we stopped tracking that stat already :V
Bad command or file name

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #537 on: April 12, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
double post + bump whoo

While touring the world backup yesterday, a sudden idea came to me. Instead of just picking up where we left off, why not improve the world offline first, and then use that modded world when we go back up?

Among other things I had in mind for improvement:
 - Nether base, railways to several fortresses and portals (those of you living far off - including Exuro, Shady, Cykyrios, Strafe, and Rawr - I'll probably wait for your confirmation to go ahead with this before working on routes to yours)
 - Creating a few jungle biomes plus a few more mushroom islands in that stupidly massive ocean (with WorldEdit + Biome Painter)
 - Special chests to encourage exploration, with items very hard or impossible to get legitimately
 - Giving regulars a welcome back package as thanks for their patience
 - New mob arena? Probably in the middle of the ocean to concentrate mob spawning.

Chances are that I might be doing this, since I'm probably the most mod-happy of all of you, which makes this task much easier to do. Oh, and to be a bit fair:
 - new tower won't be worked on until server actually returns
 - no one's existing chests will be tampered with
 - almost all the editing will be done in Creative mode, so no resource farming :V

...how's this all sound?
Bad command or file name

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #538 on: April 12, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »
A Nether safety zone might be reasonable, since as you recall I accidentally the whole Nether shortly before we went offline and ruined all your nice roads and stuff. One way or another we'll have a jungle, and I guess a mushroom island isn't a bad idea either.

But no, I'm not going to let you edit the map before we put it back up. That's a recipe for trouble. :V

At least not directly. Maybe you could pass your copy of the map to Strafe and he could pick some schematics to import from it. I'll let him decide that, though.

As for the chests idea... I like the idea of introducing some kinds of challenges to spice things up but I don't want to just cram a bunch of diamonds in boxes at random places in the world. Needs some proper challenge dungeons/events.

Unfortunately, current estimate has been pushed back to mid May. I was having another bad month of work but I started a new job this week and I'll be able to start getting caught up right away.

Freyband

« Reply #539 on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:11 PM »
Sounds good to me. The random chests you'll need to ok certain items to use with stuffman and strafe first obviously. I vote no on the mob arena though (would be better to be built once the server goes back up by those who wish to work on it). The "Weclome Back" gifts... my greed says yes, but I'm kinda thinking no. It'll be nice just to get back in if nothing else. As for the Jungles and mushroom islands, I vote yes on that. Just try not to make it a pain for boat travel to places due to the sudden addition of holy crap why is the ocean made of dirt, grass, and 120 ft tall trees?
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack