Author Topic: What music would they listen to?  (Read 9678 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
What music would they listen to?
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
I remember having a lot of fun with this topic last time around, so let's do this again.

It's really simple: what songs/bands/genres of music do you think different Gensokyans would listen to? Provide links when available.

For example, I think Marisa would totally be a classic rock kinda gal. I can picture her flying about listening to All Right Now, bopping her head. Reimu, on the other hand, is someone I think of as more of a pop-dance girl, sweeping up in front of the steps of her shrine to the beat of Faithless' "We Come One".

Aya is a little more tricky. She's fast and powerful, which brings metal to mind, but she also has a light-hearted nature to her. I think she'd be a fan of slightly harder dance music, like this song.

What about you guys? What's your input?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:57:57 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
Re: What music would they listen to?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
Remilia and Patchouli would love classical works, obviously.

Flandre would probably like children tunes and other cheery songs.

Meiling: Eye of the Tiger. 'Nuff said.

I don't know why, but I imagine Sakuya liking lounge and jazz. Just something relaxing during/after work.

If Koakuma is naughtier than she seems, then I can imagine her liking rock, pop and songs with very suggestive themes and lyrics.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »
I always imagined Renko listening to classical. I'm not sure why. :S
Mary clearly listens to Urban Mellow Pop.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »
Shou is all about the 80s

Murasa loves her sailor jigs

Parsee has a XxBLACK-HARTxX and can't get enough of <infamous band teens love>

Nue and Kogasa have a ton of those "Halloween Sounds" CDs

Yukari listens to Touhou music, naturally

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
Marisa enjoying classic rock I can agree with, led zepplin, Metallica AC/DC, whatever.
As a black/deathmetalhead, I got a 'dar' for those people. While patchy would indeed appreciate classical, she's totally a death/black metalhead, it's always the quiet ones. Bear in mind I'm talking the crowd that enjoys the sound, not the zomg I'm so cool imma badass Satan worshipper!111, lemmie just slit my wrists cuz I dropped my makeup crowd (which is like 95% of bm fans unfortunately)

honestly, it's tough to really say for many characters, someone might say remi likes classical because she is sophisticated and that's what sophisticated people like, but being a slave to the stereotype is NOT true sophistication. Kinda like the oodles of people who think they are smarter than people for playing chess.

Come to think of it, Alice kinda pings on my black metal 'dar' too.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »
"Realistically" speaking, I would assume they just listen to either Classical or Asian Folk music based on the instruments actually shown and the general culture of the Gensokyo because that's all they can listen to.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »
Mystia would definitely listen to soothing jazz and soul songs I think.

Remilia as said above classic, but maybe also lounge / chill club. Midnight chilling to be honest.

And to tease Ruro, Eiki-sama would listen to Sensation Trance energy black & white albumbs

Toasty

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
"Realistically" speaking, I would assume they just listen to either Classical or Asian Folk music based on the instruments actually shown and the general culture of the Gensokyo because that's all they can listen to.

Regardless of this, I can see characters such as Satori and Remilla relaxing to some classical from either side of the world (I'd always think remi to be more of a beethoven fan, while satori might prefer Scarlatti). Kaguya in particular is probably a huge fan of asian folk music (or lunarian music, however that sounds), judging by her position, as well as Eirin. Mokou, Rinnosuke, and Tewi would have similar tastes, but if introduced to music from the outside world I'd say that a majority of touhous would prefer J-Pop, Brit-Pop, American-pop, Rock, etc, just like anyone else (Mokou - System of a down, RInno - beatles, Tewi - Kelly...Clarkson?). The other possible outcome to such an introduction would be them covering their ears and deeming our music fast paced, too loud, and absolute junk.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
And to tease Ruro, Eiki-sama would listen to Sensation Trance energy black & white albumbs

YOU BET I'LL GIVE HER A SENSATION, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

:colonveeplusalpha:

... uh, Sanae, being the otaku that she is, would listen to assorted J-pop songs and anime music. I can just see her headbobbing to Nana Mizuki or Sailor Moon stuff. Alternately, GaoGaiGar and/or Gundam theme songs. Yukari would listen to Touhou music on her iPod, yes. And for some reason, I imagine Koishi would listen to gamelan.

Oh, and Yuka would listen to pure shock rock. Like GWAR.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:34 AM »
The Prismrivers listen to Weird Al.

Cirno listens to Frank Zappa. She doesn't understand why people think she's a jerk when she parrots him.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »
Koishi listens to Pink Floyd. No two ways about it.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
Remilia and Patchouli would love classical works, obviously.

Flandre would probably like children tunes and other cheery songs.

Meiling: Eye of the Tiger. 'Nuff said.

I don't know why, but I imagine Sakuya liking lounge and jazz. Just something relaxing during/after work.

If Koakuma is naughtier than she seems, then I can imagine her liking rock, pop and songs with very suggestive themes and lyrics.

Koa would so go out at night with fishnets and a corset to the nearest rock bar.

Maybe as someone said, drag patchy with her. She dyes her hair purple, ya know. And has a bellybutton ring, but no one knows about it because remi would go mad. Urgh now I can picture patchy being slightly podgy. Thats right put me off the librarian.

Mind you I dunno where the rockbar is in gensokyo  :V Obviously, Iku owns the 80's club. She didn't start the business, but beat the owner in a Touhou dance contest for the deed to the property.

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »
Koishi listens to Pink Floyd. No two ways about it.

As a long-time fan of pre-Dark Side Floyd, I feel I must ask you to specify which part of Floyd's carreer Koishi is fondest of, and why.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Formless God

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »
Nue would listen to Shoji Meguro.

Bananamatic

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
Hatate:

<Tengukami> Warning: The following old-as-hell video contains foul language and chavs.

[nsfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEnK145M9-A[/nsfw]

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:23:50 PM by Tengukami »

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 01:35:27 AM »
Somehow I imagine Letty to be listening to a very depressing piano solo.   :ohdear:

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 02:21:49 AM »
Luize listens to Jazz. I just know she does.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
Cirno listens to ZLAD! and doesn't understand why no one else seems to agree that it's the best thing ever.

Satori listens to Venetian Snares' 'Szamar Madar' because it does a good job blotting out ambient mental white-noise. (Be careful at 1:44, it gets loud with some rather annoying 'Matrix'y dial-up noise) When she's in a more energetic mood, she sings to herself (and her sister).

Yukari, when she's all business, likes to generate background music from nowhere, to the tune of Epic Latin Choirs, specifically 'Lacrimosa'.

Mystia, when not singing a Night Sparrow's chorus, is heavily into independent musicians taking a new spin on old songs from the 80s.

Nitori has a hard time keeping her momentum up without the aid of Daft Punk telling her all the potential things she could do with her new tech.

Sakuya - when she's not practicing her piano and harpsichord (to maintain her elegance) - likes to rock out to some E-Nomine's Mitternacht. Such things do tend to happen in the dark of the night, after all - and midnight is the time most likely for a spirit to light upon your shoulders, no?
(I'd post a link to just the song and not the silly Hellsing OVA but the other one in my favorites got nuked for WMG violations)

The Prismrivers - like Mystia - are also big fans of unorthodox music.

Koishi's Zune (she's too much of a free spirit to conform to society and buy an iPod - which leads to poor tech support so she takes good care of it/visits Nitori a lot) has Apocalyptica on it, and of course she's too big a fan to be satisfied with just one song. Sandra Nasic helps Apocalyptica with the next song on her playlist. (It's all good if you let her dive with some sharks - underground. Indeed, Koishi has... found her path.)

Fanon!Alice wants to go to Marisa's house in the middle of the night with a boombox and confess her love - but since Fanon!Alice is an idiot, she'll pick a very odd and cryptic song to do so.

Canon!Alice, however, prefers to do her work uninterrupted, to the tune of epic guitar solos. It keeps the faeries away.

Keine is a big fan of classic folk music - after all, she's guardian of a rural village. It's only natural that this is what she listens to.

Parsee enjoys some Noisia to throw people off when they come upon her bridge and try to seek passage across.

Suika listens to obscure anime opening themes that Yukari introduces her to. She has very odd tastes.

Flandre isn't locked in the basement 'cause she's psycho - she just won't come out until she masters Four-Hands for Piano by herself.

Reimu honors ancestors of the past through heirloom Bard Songs.

Did I do too many at once? Heh, I got carried away. I like music, you see :derp:

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 02:43:02 AM »
Aya is a little more tricky. She's fast and powerful, which brings metal to mind, but she also has a light-hearted nature to her. I think she'd be a fan of slightly harder dance music, like this song.
Naw.  Aya would be metalcore.  Maybe something like this song or this song.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:02 AM »
Suika listens to Andrew WK.

Sanae will join her when she learns that AWK did an album of Gundam remixes.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

Satori listens to Venetian Snares' 'Szamar Madar' because it does a good job blotting out ambient mental white-noise.

Satori listens to Hungarian music. Fabulous.

I swear this is the last one.

Tengukami

What music would they listen to?
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »
Don't worry, post as many times as you want.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »
As a long-time fan of pre-Dark Side Floyd, I feel I must ask you to specify which part of Floyd's carreer Koishi is fondest of, and why.

Hoo boy, I'm not that familiar with Pink Floyd to be able to establish which bits are which, but I'm certain Brain Damage is on her playlist.

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 06:14:26 PM »
Kaguya would listen to Immortally Insane from Pantera.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
I think Flandre would be sort who would listen to 'Right Here, Right Now' by Fatboy Slim.

That or 'Build it Up, Tear it Down' by the same artist/DJ/Norman Cook.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?