Author Topic: 2018 in Touhou Past and Future  (Read 5559 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
2018 in Touhou Past and Future
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »
Seriously, this topic isn't here yet? I know this place isn't nearly as active as it used to be, but doing nothing won't help it! Anyway, it's 2019 already, so go on and reflect on your Touhou experiences over the past year! Here's the usual template:

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Post about your favorite achievement(s). Your own, that is.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: Well, biggest screw-up(s) are just that.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: Other players do cool achievements as well. Post your favorites.

Goals for 2019: What are your goals for 2019? If you have anything planned.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: Give other people some ideas of what you think is cool. Challenge them into a race, some silly competition. Anything works.

CyberAngel

• Retired
Re: 2018 in Touhou Past and Future
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Actually got back into playing games and repeated most of my old achievements with surprising ease. Plus got 10D Normal clears out of the blue.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: Got VERY close near-clears in SA, UFO and HSiFS

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: Yats finishing LNN(N)s for all main games. And recording them all in one convenient video. I'm still using it for quick reference now and then. (It's useful about 50% of the time :P )

Goals for 2019: Well, I'm gonna concentrate on IN from now on. Need to get the remaining Hard 1ccs. Should grab an Extra clear or a few. Hopefully will reach a Lunatic 1cc.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: SCOAR MOAR. And a more specific ongoing challenge to everyone from this point on to beat all of my IN scores.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Reaching Kanako on Lunatic.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: Losing what would have been my first ExNM to a double KO. And then forgetting to save the replay for TRS.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: I love the way the HSIFS WR keeps going up. Will it ever reach 10b? Who knows?

Goals for 2019: Reach Kanako again... and this time defeat her. If it's before my anniversary, that will be even sweeter. Come to think of it, I said almost exactly the same thing last year!

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: CyberAngel: Beat my IN Easy and Normal scores! I'm above you in every category except Easy Y/Y. :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:47:38 PM by Mikuru »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »
A bit short, but I've only been active again for a little over 2 months. Still, partial posts are better for keeping the thread going than not posting, right?

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Reconnecting with Touhou players and the community? Does that count?
All I've played since then is DDC Easy SakuyaA, but I've been enjoying scoring again.

Goals for 2019: Retake at least one DDC Easy WR, possibly several shot types.
Also I'd like to revive two old goals I was never satisfied with, SA Easy MarisaA 640m, and LoLK Normal Sanae 2b. If I can manage to run Shining Shooting Star again, I'd also like to improve my score there.
Oh, and probably score in Touhou 17, if ZUN's on schedule. It's fun to score when a game's still being newly explored.

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:20:50 AM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Got back into Touhou in general. At some point, I just lost touch with the series and stopped paying attention. Around the time HM came out was when Touhou was just out of sight, out of mind for me, to give you guys a frame of reference of how long its been. I can thank Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded on the Nintendo Switch for this.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: The only thing I have for this is something very specific to that fan game I mentioned: I screwed up the melding process on my weapon and had to take extra time to prepare to meld again in Genso Wanderer.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: Don't really have a response for this.

Goals for 2019: Maybe I'll finally actually finish a bullet hell game on Normal or higher without any continues. I know I used to try EoSD and IN in the past but I never quite had the drive to practice even though I wanted to get a clear.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: Not really a challenge so much as a suggestion: If you own a Nintendo Switch or a PS4, I implore you to play Genso Wanderer Reloaded. It's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but with Touhou characters, references, etc. The art's great, the soundtrack and voice acting is great, and the story while nothing to write home about, enables plenty of character interactions and I love how some of the interpersonal relationships are portrayed here. It has characters from EoSD all the way to Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (I've been gone so long I don't even know the accepted abbreviation for this. LoLK? LLK?) and I kind of learned about characters past HM from this.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »
I have precisely zero achievements or failures in 2018 (other than beating the Labyrinth of Touhou 2 main game), however I'm going to challenge myself with a couple of very basic goals for 2019: beat at least one of my extant scores and put some real effort into an EoSD scorerun.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Mellow

• A Kid, Just a kid.....
  • Is that a Touhou reference?!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 02:23:12 AM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: I finally got a bit better at drawing, and controlling my character in touhou lol.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: Probably just drama.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: More touhou memes :P

Goals for 2019: Just art improvement! And writing.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: Play any touhou game of your choice whilst listening to Cirno's perfect math class on full volume. DO IT!
frick AND heck!

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 05:26:27 PM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Quite a fair few for this year : finally got around playing UFO and getting 1 CCs for all shot types on Normal difficulties, finally gotten around to playing LoLK Legacy mode and getting a proper 1 CC for Sanae and Reisen, which I would consider pretty good since I haven't touched the game for what, 5 or 6 months ? And also getting my first extra clears with HSiFS and TD. But what I'm the most satisfied with is getting a Hard mode clear with HSiFS, with Marisa (Winter), which I also got after not touching the game for quite some time.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: Doing TD's extra stage, reaching Mamizou, aaaaannnnnnd getting kicked out cuz apparently the game crashes at the end of her survival if you hadn't patched the game yet. Huh. Patching the TH games to their latest versions is not a reflex I exactly have. Apparently not getting your game to it's best version is bad, who knew

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: Eh. Dunno. But seeing Jaimers put a video of him finally doing LoLK's stage 6 certainly gave me a good laugh. Made my day.

Goals for 2019: Hmmm, dunno, try to get various clears and moving slowly upwards, difficluty wise ? I like to collect those "cleared" symbols. Not planning on trying score runs yet, tho. Seems a tad cumbersome.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: Maybe try to check out the various fangames this community has made or something ? There are quite a couple of cool fangames that aren't shmups out there, it should be worth it to try to check non-shmup fangames once in a while.

Crescendo

• Trying to be a little less lazy
  • ;
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:42:35 AM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018: Beating Kaguya on my second try... how? I'm still baffled since I'm usually an absolute disaster the first few times.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018: Was doing an attempt to 1CC SA. It was going great, bomb management was on point and I haven't lost a life yet. Believe I had 5-6 on me.

And then Orin destroys me and leaves me with one life left.  :V

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2018: I'm still a noob at Touhou so... literally everyones achievements on here is amazing. Keep it up guys!

Goals for 2019: Still on my goal to Normal 1CC all the games past TH6, but I plan on starting Hard 1CC for EoSD, as well as tackling Flan once I finish. Also plan on keeping up learning danmakufu; maybe I'll actually submit scripts soon.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:52:02 PM by Crescendo »
Normal 1cc's: EoSD(RA), PCB(SA), IN(BT), MoF(RA), SA(MC), UFO(RB), TD(R), DDC(SA), PDLoLK(Reimu, 921 tries), HSiFS(CWin)
Fangame 1cc's: HSoB-Normal(SPurple,KWhite)
Current goals:  EoSD hard, EoSD extra.
Attempting the art of danmakufu.