Author Topic: Team Fortress 32  (Read 193499 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: Team Fortress 32
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
Shotgun user here. I find it significantly more versatile and perfect for finishing off weaker classes I've just ignited.

I love watching F2P Pyros deflect my Direct Hit rockets with their face.
Me too, though I use Liberty Launcher. It's made the main game almost too easy....
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 11:59:10 PM »
I have issues reflecting things, still. Though I think it's mostly because of my computer, and issues with lag.
Seeing as how I can train my flamethrower on someone while we're both moving, and I'll clearly see the flames wash over their character model, but they won't ignite - and if I'm strafing alongside someone, I have to lead an almost ludicrous distance for the flames to hit - even if I'm literally running right there next to them. I know the flame is a weird projectile-particle effect and whatnot but still - it shouldn't be that bad, should it? Every Pyro video on YouTube that I watch shows them just holding the flame and doing a ballerina whirl and everyone around them is ignited all of a sudden.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »
I have a strange Pyro loadout: I usually like to go with Degreaser/Flaregun/Homewrecker, because fuck spies. I'm not really good enough at scoring melee hits and using three weapons at a time to make use of the Axtinguisher... so the flaregun tries to fill in for that a little as I try and rely more on a puff&flee style of play, hoping to cripple/kill with flaregun crits instead of sticking around to get mowed down. Now if only I could aim...

That said, the shotgun is probably still the best for straight combat.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
because fuck spies.

This is a good attitude to have.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 12:28:59 AM »
This is a good attitude to have.

I'm not the best spychecker and I can handle mediocre spies well enough as most classes (though really good ones are still rage-inducing), but there's something gratifying to igniting and poofing away a spy that snuck into an engineer nest, then denying them of the effectiveness of their sappers on top of that.

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 01:00:58 AM »
:ohdear: I never use my shotgun either

You have the flare gun, that's an exception. What I mean by "not using shotgun" is pyros who have the shotgun in their loadout just stick to the w+m1 trick even if they are fighting a pyro as well when using the shotgun in fights like that is much better and stronger.

Example: I was a pyro on Fort and there was a pyro chasing me on their base. He kept on w+m1 while i was backpedaling with shotgun. Needless to say, I won.

Seriously. someone needs to put some sense into these F2P pyros

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
You have the flare gun, that's an exception. What I mean by "not using shotgun" is pyros who have the shotgun in their loadout just stick to the w+m1 trick even if they are fighting a pyro as well when using the shotgun in fights like that is much better and stronger.

Example: I was a pyro on Fort and there was a pyro chasing me on their base. He kept on w+m1 while i was backpedaling with shotgun. Needless to say, I won.

butt teh w=m1 is teh srtong!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »

because obv constant damage > huge damage bursts :V :V

I've grown to love my shotgun so <3

wooterz

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 02:21:25 AM »
Anyone want this Bison I just found?

Jes_Isaive

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 02:33:39 AM »
And so, at 7:49 PM on August 8th, 2011, I added the final weapon only weapon left which does not work as another weapon with a different skin to my arsenal.

That means that I've actually completed the goal I set for myself when I started playing this game. Cool. I guess I should make a new goal, like make some montages with music.

Kyo Tanaka

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »
Anyone want this Bison I just found?

I want it. What do you want in return?

wooterz

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 02:50:58 AM »
I want it. What do you want in return?

Got an Original?

Kyo Tanaka

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 03:33:13 AM »
Don't have the Original.

wooterz

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 03:51:36 AM »
what do you have, then?

also how the hell do I get this game to stop freezing for no reason

Kyo Tanaka

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2011, 04:03:31 AM »
You can take a look at my backpack. I believe I posted it on page 1?

I close out stuff to get the game faster. Try that?

wooterz

« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2011, 05:47:29 AM »
I close the same amount of stuff as I always have, it just randomly freezes for around 5 seconds, sometimes with the screen turning blank, and then going back to normal.

It only seems to do it on certain maps, though...

also, someone traded me the original. thank you person who was playing as saxton hale and just kinda stood there for about 10 minutes and pissed everyone off :V
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:49:55 AM by dustyjo »

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 06:05:21 AM »
It was the best game ever :V

also thank you me because she wanted some of my stuff :3

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2011, 07:55:21 PM »
I have a strange Pyro loadout: I usually like to go with Degreaser/Flaregun/Homewrecker, because fuck spies.

In that case you're better off with a Backburner. The Degreaser's reduced afterburn damage will fuck you out of a LOT of kills because it just doesn't hurt your targets enough before they get to a health kit, Medic, or some water of some sort. The improved weapon swap won't help you if you're using the Flaregun to score ignited crits - if you're just puffing them and then putting distance between you and them, you don't need the immediate weapon swap to pull the Axtinguisher out while you're still right next to them. Letting them get a few steps out of melee range because you're switching weapons isn't so bad if you're using the Flaregun instead of the Axtinguisher.
Also I like your loadout too :3

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2011, 04:59:27 AM »
It's mostly getting that Homewrecker smashing sappers faster that concerns me about the Degreaser, I think. And I do like to be able to spam airblasts for utility purposes (extinguishing teammates, stalling ubers, protecting others from stray pipebombs, etc), so I don't think I'd like the 3-realistic-max restriction on the Backburner. Would the default flamethrower be a better choice?

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »
Would the default flamethrower be a better choice?
No.

And don't worry about the afterburn damage, IMO Esifex is being silly and overrating it.  Using the Degreaser means you lose a whopping 1.5 damage/sec (average) from it, and that isn't going to mean shit 99% of the time.  Even more so if you hit them with a flare because it overwrites the afterburn with its own.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:51 AM »
Degreaser only does like 40 afterburn, whereas the others do 60, on top of the Degreasers' initial bonus damage.

Though the ability to airblast reliably is a good concern.
To be fair I really don't use the Backburner that often (see prior posts in TF2 threads by yours truly) so all I can really say about it is theorycrafting.

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
I use the Degreaser for the incredibly fast switch time. It saved me a lot of times.

On another note, if you sort all my pyro kills, i got more shotgun kills than flamethrower kills.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »
Why does the random drop part of the game hate me right now? I want class doubles so that i can get some metals and guess what, i have one double for every class except for pyro. But before this happened i got lot's of weapond that i didn't have. RNG can be a douche sometimes.

Barrakketh

« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
Degreaser only does like 40 afterburn, whereas the others do 60, on top of the Degreasers' initial bonus damage.
45 afterburn.  And what do you mean "on top of the Degreasers' initial bonus damage"?

The Degreaser does as much damage from direct flames as the default flamethrower (the damage penalty has always applied only to the afterburn), the afterburn damage reduction is negligible almost all of the time.  Scouts are basically the only class that would normally have a problem with it assuming they let you set them on fire in the first place, and they have Bonk and Mad Milk to deal with the afterburn.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »

Backburners initial bonus damage. Herpderp. The 10% isn't really a lot for just a single puff, but it DOES add up compared to the damage lost from the Degreaser's lower burn damage.

And you'd be surprised how often that little bit of extra burn damage can secure kills. If you ignite enough people, only one of them is gonna be able to get the health drop to put themselves out - the rest will continue to burn unless they have a friendly Pyro nearby or a Medic that you didn't manage to kill/weaken enough for the burn to kill.
It's all incredibly circumstantial, but with how quickly the round can change, there really isn't any way you can reliably come up with a step-by-step plan that actually works. Unless you're playing against an enemy team of players who refuses to change classes and always does the same thing - like a Sniper who always goes to the same spot to snipe from, which is dumb, and you should never count on it, because it'll never happen unless it's an F2P kid, and then you can just go Spy and farm kills on him :p

Anyways the point about using the Flaregun afterwards is perfectly valid anyways compared to the concerns with the Degreaser's afterburn.
But just to make it clear, I've gotten a fair amount of kills on just about every class, save Heavies, with the afterburn. Even with the Degreaser and its reduced burn - it just matters on how long you hold the flame on someone.
Now that I'm using the Gas Jockey set, I don't have the Axtinguisher anymore, so I'm relying more on W+M1 burns and Detonator mini-crits, in turn meaning more time spewing flame or trying to score mini-crits than following up on burn damage with something else.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:17:45 PM by Esifex »

Barrakketh

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »
And you'd be surprised how often that little bit of extra burn damage can secure kills. If you ignite enough people, only one of them is gonna be able to get the health drop to put themselves out - the rest will continue to burn unless they have a friendly Pyro nearby or a Medic that you didn't manage to kill/weaken enough for the burn to kill.
Or a Scout (Mad Milk), or Sniper (Jarate), or an Engineer (because there will be a dispenser nearby).

But just to make it clear, I've gotten a fair amount of kills on just about every class, save Heavies, with the afterburn. Even with the Degreaser and its reduced burn - it just matters on how long you hold the flame on someone.
See, with the people I play with you will almost never burn to death because there will be someone to put you out.  I don't rely on afterburn because it's useless if you're up against competent players.  You have a perfectly usable weapon at your disposal (the shotgun) that can finish people off.  If they are so low on health that the afterburn will kill them in a moment, your shotgun will do just as good of a job.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »
Currently up for trade:
Backburner, Frontier Justice, Southern Hospitality x 2, Pain Train, Scottish Resistance, Crusader's Crossbow, Ubersaw, Shortstop x 2, Fan O'War, Equalizer x 2, Quick-Fix, Wrangler x 2, Claidheamh Mor, Scottish Skullcutter.

Want's:  Whatever I don't have; Dalokoh's Bar. Degreasser, Mad Milk, Black Box, Sydney Sleeper, Danger Shield, Bushwacka, Rocket Jumper, Sticky Jumper, Ullapool Caber, Warrior's Spirit, Volcano Fragment, Sun-on-a-Stick, Detonator, Wee Booties, Reserve Shooter, Family Business, Eviction Notice, Disciplinary Action, Soda Popper, Winger, Atomizer, 3-Rune Blade, Postal Pummeler, Maul, and The 9 Iron.

Finally got Scout Milestone 3.  Now it's down to just Engie.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:47:00 AM by Aya Reiko »

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
Remind me what you don't have, Reiko. :V I have few extras, but I want to fill out my collection sooner or later...

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
What's the average conversion rate for Crates to Hats as a trading currency?
I wanna get the Scout hat for the Shortstop+Mad Milk set and try that one out, since I'm having so much fun with the Gas Jockey set for Pyro.

Also, if anyone has a Tomislav, I'll love you forever if you trade it to me for something :D

wooterz

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
Still trying to get rid of this bison :V