Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 19: 90FPS FOR EVERYONE  (Read 221821 times)

Re: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 19: 90FPS FOR EVERYONE
« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »

Finally got this after a few runs this morning. Shouldn't have taken as many tries as it did. Deaths to Cateo-whatever, two to And Then There Will Be None, and one to QED right at the last centimeter of health. If only I wasn't so bad at the survival...

I think I'll try no bombing the Extras instead of Lunatics for now. I don't think I'll ever do perfects of the Extras because trying to practice stuff like QED or ATTWBN just isn't fun for me, but no bombs should be fine. I'm dreading IN extra though. I'm terrible at Mokou :ohdear:

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
So after my week long break. I decided to do a run of SA on normal with Reimu B. Aaaaaaaand.

I even had spare lives. Should have had 3 spare lives...but I died at the very last second to Subterranean Sun.  :derp:

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #392 on: December 22, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »
So after my week long break. I decided to do a run of SA on normal with Reimu B. Aaaaaaaand.
I even had spare lives. Should have had 3 spare lives...but I died at the very last second to Subterranean Sun.  :derp:
First clear?
At any rate, awesome! If you can get there with that amount of lives then you're not far from Hard either.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #393 on: December 22, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
Technically 2nd overall on normal. 1st with ReimuB. Geez, Satori is so much easier than with ReimuA.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #394 on: December 22, 2012, 08:38:23 PM »
Earlier today:

Dem two extends.

Even earlier:

I captured Eternal Meek too. (which is a goddamn nightmare at max rank, which by the way only happens with a high enough score)

I also died twice to Scarlet Gensokyo on that run.

My third time perfecting everything but Scarlet Gensokyo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 100M + [whatever Gensokyo's spellcard bonus is] is in reach.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #395 on: December 22, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
I guess what I'm trying to say is that 100M + [whatever Gensokyo's spellcard bonus is] is in reach.
Scarlet Gensokyo bonus is around 5M I think.
Anyhow, correct me if I'm wrong, but 100M+ would probably require safespotting eternal meek and
either bombing scarlet gensokyo for star points or suicide graze some of the spells. Imo perfecting the stage wouldn't cut it.
Interesting thing is that I got to 84M capturing only 2 spells :derp:
I only ever did that once though.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:03:34 AM by Kanon »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #396 on: December 22, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
Oh, I'm not using any scoring method, just randomly bombing the stage (usually the last wave of fairies) and capturing spellcards.

I lost two lives so the bonus would be (9M+9M)*1.5, which puts that score at 78M+27M = 105M. The death gave me three bombs so -(3M+3M)*1.5 = -9M. If I don't waste two bombs on the spam (apparently you're better off getting the clear bonus, though I could be wrong) 100M should be possible.

This is assuming I understand the mechanics.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #397 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:50 PM »
Make sure to maximize the number of bullets on screen when finishing off patterns. Canceled bullets are often worth more than the spell bonuses in EoSD, especially with Remilia's bullet density, and the 1000+ graze from Eternal Meek that you don't seem to have (make sure to wait until the timer is at 0 before you finish it off, and you are using the safespot right?)

Also the leftover lives are worth 4.5m each (3m*1.5), so finishing with 2 more lives gives you 9m extra, not 27m.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #398 on: December 22, 2012, 11:58:42 PM »
It says player = 9M.

Again, I'm not safespotting anything, I'm playing regularly. My intent is not to score, but I am trying to get a high score for the heck of it.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #399 on: December 23, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »
Yes, because you finished with 3 lives. 3 lives * 3 million per life = 9 million bonus for leftover lives. If you'd finished with 4 lives it would say 12 million there.

« Reply #400 on: December 23, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
Captured Gathering Void White.

I don't know how either.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
Beat Mokou for the first time EVER just now also making that my first ever Extra Stage Clear of any of the games!!

Wish I had recorded my reaction for you guys to hear lol, probably lost more than a few manly points cos of it :V

Also I used Team MAlice but did not abuse the MAlice cannon glitch :V
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:51:14 PM by Zork787 »
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »
Got to the 30 seconds mark in a UBS timeout attempt.

Probably my favourite spellcard in the game. :D
Getting clipped since Feb. 2012.

Youtube

Tumblr

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
Honestly, I've given up on trying to figure out why people like UBS. Or why I hate it. Or whatever. Enjoy your progress thingy.

« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Honestly, I've given up on trying to figure out why people like UBS. Or why I hate it. Or whatever. Enjoy your progress thingy.

Because different people like different things. Kinda like how you like Remilia and I don't.  :V

@BangJan

Please keep up the good work. It's a very cool spellcard. Good luck!

« Reply #405 on: December 23, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
I guess it isn't a real accomplishment but I just started playing my first touhou game 5 days ago I am pretty proud that I finally made it past Hong Meiling without having to use a continue/I even had lives to spare !

I felt really good about myself >.>;;
marccasper.deviantart.com

for the art and stuff! :3

« Reply #406 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
I guess it isn't a real accomplishment but I just started playing my first touhou game 5 days ago I am pretty proud that I finally made it past Hong Meiling without having to use a continue/I even had lives to spare !

If you're happy with it, and you feel it's worth posting here, then it is certainly an accomplishment for you at least, even if it's something simple for others.

Especially if it is something difficult for you and/or it's your first time. An "accomplishment" can be as simple or big as you want it to be for yourself. There isn't any real [GlobalAccomplishmentRule™]

All that said, good job! Keep it up because you can only improve from here.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Which difficulty are you playing on?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:12:57 PM by SirBlueberry »

« Reply #407 on: December 23, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
Normal  :smokedcheese:
marccasper.deviantart.com

for the art and stuff! :3

« Reply #408 on: December 23, 2012, 11:10:16 PM »
Did a few runs and got MoF Extra no bombs on my first try despite dying to stupid stuff like Kanako's non-spell and whatnot. I technically bombed on Suwako's first card, but honestly it's simple enough that I would just laugh if someone said I didn't actually "no bomb" the stage because I accidentally bombed Suwako's easiest spell card because I forgot to move to the sides on the first wave  :derp:

Also got SA Extra no bombs on my second try after getting to Koishi because I died to the last phase of Subterranean Rose on my first run since I forgot what its gimmick was.

Anyway that's EoSD, PCB (Extra and Phantasm), MoF, and SA done. IN, UFO, and TD left. And I guess I'll make some attempts at GFW, but I get the feeling that Marisa is going to wreck me so hard.

Beat Mokou for the first time EVER just now also making that my first ever Extra Stage Clear of any of the games!!
Very nice! If you can do Mokou, then you can probably do MoF and PCB. They give you tons of resources.

Hey congrats! As you're beginning, any progress is awesome, so keep it up! I'm fairly certain the rest of us were just as elated when we made small progress during our first shmups too.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #409 on: December 23, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
marisa isn't tough to do no bomb. the stage potion is harder. but since you allow deaths, she should fall quickly.

and yes, that'S what we're going to say,  you didn't do a NB of MoF extra, even if you bombed her "easiest" spell. it's like me saying I did a NMNB of marisa because I died to something easy in the video I uploaded. not following your restrictions means you failed what you were aiming for. I don't mean it in a hostile manner, but bombing in a no bomb run, no matter how trivial the spellcard/stage section/non is, if you bomb, that's it for your restriction. next time eat the death, instead of destroying the run.

actually, I think you could go for NMNB on the easier extras (suwako, flandre, ran and koishi at least). though, I suppose that's still not for everybody.

anyway, congratz nonetheless on koishi. and also congratulations to everyone else. progress, no matter how small, is still progress. I mean, I was overjoyed when I beat 10-8 or 8-1 or 12-4 (it wasn't really that bad, but the last photo was mostly luckdodging) on 90 fps, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:41:54 AM by Sakurei »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #410 on: December 23, 2012, 11:37:22 PM »
Oh, so when I do MoF no bombs lunatic I can bomb through the first 2 stages because they're trivial and I can reset until I perfect them both?
Or I can do a perfect run of Orin by capturing her last 3 patterns and failing everything else because "everything else is trivial".

Wait no that sounds stupid, a restriction is a restriction and if you defy the restriction you fail.  Though for no vertical suiciding after accidentally bumping up/down is fine IMO since that's a hard restriction to stick to.  No bombs is no bombs though, you pressed X, so you bombed, so it's not a no bombs extra.

« Reply #411 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »
you didn't actually no bomb the stage because you accidentally bombed suwako's easiest spell card because you forgot to move to the sides on the first wave
Good job on those. I've never attempted a no bomb extra run (mostly cause I never felt like it) but now I recall trying to unlock Imperishable Shooting even though that happened like yesterday and I didn't/couldn't allow myself to bomb anything unless I already failed it. Which is "almost" a no bomb run. Perhaps I should try?
And I guess I'll make some attempts at GFW
oh man GFW, as fun as this one is I fail terribly at it :V Best I can do is perfect easy up to the final boss then finish it with zero lives, or just fail completely at normal mode lol. Can't even unlock extra myself, but good luck with that if you do try!

@MoteofDust:
I'd say you're making good progress then. I honestly don't remember when I first started out, it was so long ago, but normal mode Meiling in five days sounds good for someone new to the games. As you get the hang of things, you'll notice yourself making more progress and faster than before. But yeah, keep it up and have fun!

« Reply #412 on: December 24, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »
and yes, that'S what we're going to say,  you didn't do a NB of MoF extra, even if you bombed her "easiest" spell. it's like me saying I did a NMNB of marisa because I died to something easy in the video I uploaded. not following your restrictions means you failed what you were aiming for.

I dunno about this, given that we are talking about arbitrary things like personal challenges I don't really think it makes any sense to say that he failed what he was aiming for. No-bombs is of course no-bombs but if he decides that accidentally bombing a complete joke of a spellcard make his run any less awesome then that's his decision. So while not a no-bombs run by definition it what I'd call a pseudo-no bombs run because he managed to get through the entire boss without using bombs on anything that could potentionally kill. I've done the same in the past with a Stage 5 SA run that I labelled pseudo-perfect because the two bombs were used on sections that doesn't pose any challenge at all and mainly just because I couldn't be bothered to reset such a boring stage just to prove that I can capture something you could train a monkey to do if you're good.

But that's just my opinion, it's true that it isn't a TRUE no-bombs run he did but no point in making these statements guys. His accomplishment is valid enough for what it is, if you seriously think it would have been a better run if he had successfully moved casually back and forth for 20 seconds then sure but I don't understand you.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #413 on: December 24, 2012, 02:47:27 AM »
because he managed to get through the entire boss without using bombs on anything that could potentionally kill.
But he didn't.  He messed up the pattern, would have probably died, and bombed.  Every bullet is equally deadly, and a bomb was used, so it's not a no bomb run.  This is a black and white thing, either you bomb or you don't, he did, it's not a no bombs run, nothing more to say.

Besides, if it's that easy, you just do it again without messing it up  :V

Not saying an xD1B run of an extra stage is bad, just saying you shouldn't go around calling a 1 bomb run a no bomb run.

Just beat Suwako again no focus, had 2 lives to spare at the end and a really insane capture of Red Frog.  Dodged about half of Froggy braves the Elements despite being at 0 power, misread Mishaguji-sama and died early on though.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #414 on: December 24, 2012, 03:11:38 AM »
as far as I understood it his goal was a NB run. he didn't do that, so he failed to meet his goal. that's what I meant. if his goal was a xD1B run, sure, that's fine.

it may look like degrading an achievement and some sort of dickmove (which both of those aren't my intention or what I am trying to get at), but I don't like the idea of calling something it isn't. my marisa example is a good example for that. it's not a perfect run and I will never claim it to be, no matter how stupid the death was. it happened and I have to take it. additionally, considering he was on suwako's first spellcard, it means he could have resetted the stage without having to do something difficult again. I mean, the hardest thing before that are the kedama before kanako, and if dealt with correctly, that's a non-issue, too.

and as IHNN, a xD1b of an extra is generally a good run, but it's definitely not a no bomb one. I don't know how many lives he had left, but I can't imagine tsym getting hit against this extra 5 times, in which case the bomb saved the run. but yeah, I think that he'd have had a successful NB had he eaten the death like a man.
personally, I'd have restarted after the kanako death :V

as for the potentially kill thing: my record on it is something like 70/90, so it killed me before :V and as a matter of fact, suwako's weird lasers have some of the strangest hitboxes I have ever seen.

« Reply #415 on: December 24, 2012, 03:27:27 AM »
This is a black and white thing, either you bomb or you don't, he did, it's not a no bombs run, nothing more to say.

Definitely but I just found your posts to essentially tell him to go back and do it again because that bomb means he failed at what he was trying to do. I cannot disagree with facts obviously so it's not a no-bombs run but my point is that it's pretty much just as good as one and given that these personal challenges are just what they are, little things we do for fun, if Tsym thinks that this run is good enough to move on to something else then that's fine.

It's not like Tsym thinks that his run is still a no-bombs run after bombing but I'm willing to bet that his intent was that the bomb was so meaningless that it would be pointless to waste time by restarting over. Yet you guys proceed to apparently explain to him what no-bombs means and that just seem really superfluous and silly to me but then again, it's 4:30am and i'm seeing ghosts so i should probably just stop posting now.  :V

as for the potentially kill thing: my record on it is something like 70/90, so it killed me before :V and as a matter of fact, suwako's weird lasers have some of the strangest hitboxes I have ever seen.

You are weird.  :V

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #416 on: December 24, 2012, 03:56:39 AM »
meanlingless in this case is incredibly subjective. it probably saved him a life. and while it probably posed no threat to the run itself, it still saved him said life. a bomb that saves your other resources can hardly be called meanlingless from the view of survival.

considering it's almost 5.00 am, I should probably stop posting, too :V the way you say it with "it's so trivial, there's no need to waste more time on that" seems a lot more logical than what I was saying or thinking regarding this :V it's true. seeing how a screw up on kanako's non is unlikely to happen more than once every 1000 attempts, as well as for the 1st spell, he could choose to do it at any given time, but decides to not use up another 15 minutes of his life for that. yeah, that makes sense.

I never intended to tell him what a no bomb run was. that's silly and every player already knows that, regardless. it's just that he explicitly said it still counts as an actual NB for him (he also marked the replay as a NB on gensokyo.org) so there's that. I don't and never intended to lecture anyone here on termonology; a word I probably spelled wrong, too.

yeah, I am pretty damn weird, but forgive me, it was when I was still struggling with normal difficulty :V I haven't died to it under normal circumstances for a couple years now :'D lol and seeing how the actual morning comes closer and closer, I should probably stop posting and go to sleep. lol

merry christmas x)

« Reply #417 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:02 AM »
Yeah yeah, me too. Merry christmas. For everyone :3

« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »
Had some more free time, got the UFO Extra NBNUFO in 2 tries after dying one too many times the first time.

Haha I did chuckle a bit at the "bombs" argument. I don't think there's too much to be said, as I personally think that it's similar to dealing with border breaks in PCB. You accidentally broke a border during a no bombs attempt but you cleared with 2 lives remaining. I call that a no bombs run. Personal opinion though I guess. I believe I cleared with one life remaining, so I'll just call it a no bomb run. Besides, it's not like bombing Suwako's cards does damage or anything.

And I went and redid the run anyway to prove to myself that Suwako is easy enough that I can do this on a whim. 2 extra lives this time. So uh whatever. I suppressed my panic bomb natural urge this time, so I can at least feel proud of that :P

marisa isn't tough to do no bomb. the stage potion is harder. but since you allow deaths, she should fall quickly.

actually, I think you could go for NMNB on the easier extras (suwako, flandre, ran and koishi at least). though, I suppose that's still not for everybody.
Honestly I find Marisa much harder than the stage. The only part of the stage that's remotely hard with no bombs is the bit after the midboss. I'm just not that good at some of Marisa's later stuff like Perseid, Big Crunch, and Open Universe. I don't think I've tried too hard to figure them out though. Whatever.

And I dislike NMNB just because I hate restarting because I made one mistake. Personally, it's more gratifying for me if I can crawl back from an early mistake to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Again, personal preference. I certainly do like the idea of getting consistent enough at everything to do it all in one go, but it's just not as interesting of a goal for me.

Drake

« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
I'm so close to a VoWG Perfect Timeout I can taste it, if one could theoretically taste a VoWG Perfect Timeout.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -