Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 269734 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #480 on: May 06, 2013, 04:15:44 AM »
Oh.

Well, uh, after Jurassic Park they found out that the *actual* velociraptor was a much smaller creature than the ones in Jurassic Park.

So that means we can have giant clever ninja lizards from Hell in Gensokyo, right? :getdown:

« Reply #481 on: May 08, 2013, 01:54:37 AM »
I thought the scientific community knew, and the large size was just creative license.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:04:16 AM by KimikoMuffin »

Drake

« Reply #482 on: May 08, 2013, 02:46:22 AM »
The Fighting Dinosaurs fossil is complete enough that it would be impossible not to know how large velociraptors were by the time they made JP.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #483 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:42 AM »
Ooooh, okay.

I learned something today!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #484 on: May 08, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
JP's raptors were based on Deinonychus, who at the time were tought to be a Velociraptor species.

Not that they look anything like Deinonychus, anyway.

...as for dinosaurs in Gensoukyo.... Yukari is there, isn't she  :getdown:
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #485 on: May 08, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
Renko's Wiki says that Yuyuko visited the outside world before.  When did that happen?

Thanks in advance!

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #486 on: May 08, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Might be a reference to an SoPM illustration.

Drake

« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
To note, Yuyuko died well before Gensokyo was sealed away, so the statement is almost trivially true.

But yes, what's being talked about is the story nudged at by Kanako during SoPM. Kanako describes "mystery spots" in the outside world, where ghosts are likely to appear. Essentially, they are spots that humans find scary and think they might be haunted or whatever. Therefore, ghosts appear there. Kanako says a ghost told her this, and the footnote says it was perhaps Yuyuko or Youmu. I find it funny to have ZUN meta-pondering who it was because given the picture accompanied and Yuyuko's playful carefree personality, there's basically no question about it.

The picture itself is the only actual part showing that Yuyuko encountered Renko and Mary themselves, but that should really be enough to say this actually happened.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:54:27 PM by Drake »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #488 on: May 09, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »
Relating to a discussion in the ZUN Update thread, how far back does Akyu's collective memory go, anyway? Or alternatively how long has her bloodline been around?

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #489 on: May 09, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
The first Child of Miare, who started compiling Gensokyo Chronicles, lived over a thousand years ago. Note that Akyuu admitted that only memories related to Gensokyo Chronicles carry over between her incarnations.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #490 on: May 13, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
I'm working my way through Curiosities of Lotus Asia and I've noticed that Rinnoske calls everyone a child, or a girl, even Yukari who is commonly depicted as being a woman (apart from the whole hag thing). Is this just a fault of my translation, or maybe I'm applying my own connotation of girl referring to a female who is not an adult. Alternatively does Rinnoske really just look down on everyone?

Drake

« Reply #491 on: May 13, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »
As a half-youkai, I don't think Rinnosuke refers to women by their actual age, but by their appearance. When he ?first? meets Yukari he describes her as a girl (少女). From then on he continuously describes her as 少女, even after knowing she's lived much longer than he has. As an anecdote, when Rinnosuke attempts to smash the computer for being ~ominous~, Yukari's hand pops out and stops him. He doesn't know it's Yukari, but describes it as a slender girl's hand (か細い女の子の手).

It would make sense that if you lived a long time, you would just describe people as they seem. The difference between "girl" and "woman" might become pretty arbitrary and confusing otherwise. What's interesting to me here is how Rinnosuke's description might differ to someone else's, possibly more recent, description of Yukari.
It's hard to get a good reference frame because it isn't often we have actual first-person descriptions of other characters, besides in CoLA.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #492 on: May 13, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
I heard there was an interview or something where ZUN said he wanted people to forget about the PC-98 era, or something like that. I also heard there was a dispute about what this quote actually means, but I'm not interested in any of that. I just want a link to a transcript of that interview. Does anyone have that?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »
I heard there was an interview or something where ZUN said he wanted people to forget about the PC-98 era, or something like that. I also heard there was a dispute about what this quote actually means, but I'm not interested in any of that. I just want a link to a transcript of that interview. Does anyone have that?

It's on the wiki, which for some reason isn't loading for me, but this should be the link.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/ZUN%27s_reply_to_messages_on_the_former_Gensou_Bulletin_Board_3

Far as I can tell, ZUN in this link is (paraphrased) saying "The windows series hasn't stated PC-98 exists, but that doesn't necesarily mean PC-98 doesn't exist. But since WIndows is meant to be enjoyed without having played PC-98 first, you don't have to worry about PC98 at all unless it comes up in the Windows game (Tiamat's examples: Yuuka and Alice)"

.......yea.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #495 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:17 PM »
Just finished the last fitting for my Youki cosplay, and with ACen this weekend I'm trying to finish out as many of the details as I can. I ordered two cheap but decent-looking wooden swords, but I have another question regarding them. What kind of flower is the flower that Youmu has tied to Roukanken's sheath, and does it have any canon significance? I've been planning on putting a similar one on Youki's sword to create as many visual cues as possible to associate the two of them (since I probably won't have a solution for my hair worked out in time and I want to be as recognizable as possible and Youki is borderline apocryphal) as long as there isn't a particular reason not to. I couldn't find any specific reference to the flower anywhere, but I figured at least somebody might be able to identify the specific kind of flower it is.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #496 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
The flower on Youmu's sheath is a garden cosmos, the most common species of cosmos. It's native to Mexico, imported into Japan in 1887, and given the poetic name akizakura (autumn cherry blossom).

This has been clarified in SDV, the official fan comic anthology. While the comics themselves aren't canon, their topics - the flowers were specified by ZUN.

There's a lot more to discuss about Youmu's flower (most of the above I learnt from a Chinese aricle examining the topic), but that's out of the scope of your question.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:26:06 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #497 on: May 14, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »
The flower on Youmu's sheath is a garden cosmos, the most common species of cosmos. It's native to Mexico, and imported into Japan in the 1950s, also known as akizakura (autumn cherry blossom).

This has been clarified in SDV, the official fan comic anthology. While the comics themselves aren't canon, their topics - the flowers were specified by ZUN.

There's a lot more to discuss about Youmu's flower (most of the above I learnt from a Chinese aricle examining the topic), but that's out of the scope of your question.

Hmm. Interesting. That helps. Have you read anything that suggests that the flower is exclusive to Youmu? I've always kind of assumed it was an emblem of employment by Yuyuko, so it stands to reason that Youki would have one as well, but if it's been explored at all in anything resembling canon that may not be the case.

cuc

« Reply #498 on: May 14, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »
Sorry, my mind slipped when converting the Japanese year number from wikipedia. It was imported in 1887.

Yeah, the arrangement of SDV suggested the cosmos was exclusive to Youmu in canon, since there are two cosmos stories, one where Youmu attached it to her sheath, and another where she later found a plastic cosmos and attached this second flower. The only sensible explanation for this arrangement, is "ZUN asked them to do this".

You are going to use a plastic flower, right? I think it makes sense to use a bunch (like in that fanart) of sakura, the flower of samurai for Youki.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:25:19 AM by cuc »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #499 on: May 15, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »
Sorry, my mind slipped when converting the Japanese year number from wikipedia. It was imported in 1887.

Yeah, the arrangement of SDV suggested the cosmos was exclusive to Youmu in canon, since there are two cosmos stories, one where Youmu attached it to her sheath, and another where she later found a plastic cosmos and attached this second flower. The only sensible explanation for this arrangement, is "ZUN asked them to do this".

You are going to use a plastic flower, right? I think it makes sense to use a bunch (like in that fanart) of sakura, the flower of samurai for Youki.

I was planning to use a plastic flower, yes. I'll see what I can turn up as far as a plastic sakura goes. This kind of slipped my mind until the last minute so I may not be able to find one before the con, but I do live near a few craft stores so I'll pick over them tomorrow.

cuc

« Reply #500 on: May 15, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »
Not important to the your enquiry, but to add to the previous discussion, at least according to Japanese sources, the most important part of garden cosmos' flower language is "maiden's true heart".

The English sources don't seem to mention it, but it's the Japanese point of view that counts.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:17:10 AM by cuc »

« Reply #501 on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »

That's an interesting relevation. Just a random thought, is this an estimated date? The Hakurei Barrier is created around 1885, and this flower getting imported to Japan is fairly close to that date.

cuc

« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
The way Japanese wikipedia phrased it is exact. The closeness to Year 1 is more of an interesting coincidence. What matters is it was imported at a time when the Japanese still would give imported flowers poetic names like "akizakura".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:38:33 AM by cuc »

« Reply #503 on: May 19, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
I wonder about that being a coincidence. Did you not mention that her second flower is fake and only the first one is real? Would that not imply the first one has to be retrieved either prior to isolation or that flower somehow made it through the barrier?

cuc

« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
I checked it again, the 1887 date is not exact. One generally accepted date is 1879. Even if it's 1879, judging from common sense, it's extremely unlikely a newly imported plant can reach the remote mountain valley of Gensokyo before 1885.

However, the flower, and the knowledge about it can still drift into Gensokyo like Rinnosuke's cokes. Further, according to the recent FS chapter, the border has no effect on normal animals. Normal plants must be the same.

We should also consider the case where ZUN just didn't know. The flower has another very misleading name: ooharushagiku "great Persian chrysanthmum", so many Japanese may thought it was imported earlier than that. However, given ZUN's love of research and knowledge, this is not very likely.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:51:12 PM by cuc »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #505 on: May 19, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
I have a question that really has no place outside of a thread specifically for miscellaneous ones.

So ZUN is going to AWA in September and he's going to be showered with gifts, most of which will be designed to inhibit his mental processes and damage his liver. Good enough, but I'd prefer to do something a bit more original. Considering his love for Gatsy caps/flat caps is as strong as it is for ethyl alcohol and frills, I'd like to make one for him. The problem is that hats are very finicky when it comes to sizing and that style doesn't lend itself well to being adjustable.

So... does anyone know what hat size ZUN takes? I don't even know if I'll go through with making one yet, but this is the first step and a large part of deciding whether I'll do so or not.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #506 on: May 20, 2013, 02:52:26 AM »
@Youmu's flower:

Yeah, considering how detail oriented he is. It is kind of weird for Youmu to only have the first flower as the real one and not be able to find a second real flower.
The date of the flower being imported and the Hakurei Barrier being set up is too close for it to be a coincidence, but I am not ruling it out. It is just something to muse on.

cuc

« Reply #507 on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:51 AM »
Garden cosmos has grown wild in Japan. In the SDV stories, the real cosmos was a wild flower, and Youmu took the plastic flower because she had never seen one before.

While the stories are nor canon, it makes sense that the plastic flower can be rarer than the real ones in Gensokyo. Still, your theory is interesting.

« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »
I see, I read that before, but I forgot the details, as I read that a while ago. All I really remember is 1 real flower and 1 fake.

« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
My mind is going pretty crazy trying to think of a remix that I heard about a year ago.  It was a silly little remix where the vast majority of the music were random sound effects like whistles, Vaccuums (I think), meows (?). Not quite sure.  I'm pretty sure it was also a part of a compilation like the house sets, but I've already double checked all song in the house sets...

Help!  :V