Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 269671 times)

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #450 on: March 24, 2013, 04:18:26 AM »
cirno sort of canonically won against the three fairies but it doesn't really mean anything

I wouldn't exactly say "doesn't really mean anything". She did defeat all three at once, and they complimented her, saying she'd be a great addition to the group. I think we can safely say Cirno is the strongest from what we've seen so far, but as always, "Strongest Fairy" is far from a huge compliment.

At best, if you really don't want to do any speculation, we can say Cirno is at least equal at first place with those three.

Drake

« Reply #451 on: March 24, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
That's sort of what I mean. Sure she beat them, but squabbles amongst fairies is kind of a grey area on top of other grey areas concerning who can defeat who. I just assume she's strong for a fairy, but you still can't really class fairies (or most characters really) based on danmaku fights, never mind whatever the fairies thought was a danmaku fight.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #452 on: March 24, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
Part of the point of Spell Card rules is every Gensokyo girl, even a fairy or Rumia can understand it, so you certainly can't say their game is not a Spell Card duel. Other than this, I agree, a danmaku battle is just that.

Lily White demonstrated teleporting in PCB, too.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:10:23 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #453 on: March 24, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
Daiyousei noob
Thanks for the answers :)

Part of the point of Spell Card rules is every Gensokyo girl, even a fairy or Rumia can understand it, so you certainly can't say their game is not a Spell Card duel. Other than this, I agree, a danmaku battle is just that.
So Rinnosuke can't use spellcards?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Zil

« Reply #454 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Yeah, no boys allowed.

And now I have a question of my own. What is the likelihood of ZUN creating another Phantasmagoria game? (i.e. one like PoDD and PoFV.) Has he ever mentioned anything about it, or given any hints about planning to do another some day, etc. I'd like to believe he will, but I've never really heard anything that would seem to hint one way or the other.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #455 on: March 24, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
>So Rinnosuke can't use spellcards?

To seriously answer the question, nothing stops men from using spell cards. Rinnosuke happens to be ineffiencient and uninterested in fighting. I said "girls", because it's kinda the PMiSS canonical excuse for why all game characters are female: women prefer the beauty of danmaku battles.

Then again, perhaps instead of being a handwave, it's more of an indication that everyone in Gensokyo that matters (the "target audience" spell card rules must cater to) really is female.

>Phantasmagoria game

I'm afraid there's no sign for that whatsoever at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:40:17 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #456 on: March 24, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
ZUN stated he can't imagine Rinnosuke using spell cards, but the context was because ZUN felt Rinnosuke was too much of a pansy... er, non-combattant. Even then, ZUN ended his statement with something like "well, maybe..." indicating that the possibility is still open.

« Reply #457 on: March 25, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
That's sort of what I mean. Sure she beat them, but squabbles amongst fairies is kind of a grey area on top of other grey areas concerning who can defeat who. I just assume she's strong for a fairy, but you still can't really class fairies (or most characters really) based on danmaku fights, never mind whatever the fairies thought was a danmaku fight.

The three fairies of light are the best at hide-and-seek, ergo they are the best fairies. This logic is flawless.

Drake

« Reply #458 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
as a fairy, i would place being good at hide-and-seek at a much higher priority than being strong

Really, if most fairies like to prank people, then being better at pranking people would be more admirable than anything else, right?

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
If the three fairies ever manage to get a way of causing harm, they have almost perfect stealth capabilities at their disposal so they can potentially be dangerous. Until they do, I guess they're professional at Hide & Seek.
I finally got ahead!

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #460 on: March 27, 2013, 12:51:20 AM »
You know, although it sounds like a joke, they ARE the best fairies. I'm sure, were they to be real, no other fairies would expect to win a game of hide and seek against them.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #461 on: April 10, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Hi everybody. I just signed up, I hope this is the right place for this. I searched around and couldn't find anywhere better, but if there is someplace let me know.

Anyway, I'm going to be cosplaying Youki at ACen this May. I pretty much have the outfit done, based on a composite of a few fan pictures of him. I still need a sword and a Myon though. I know next to nothing about swords and that kind of thing, so I'm not clear on what kind of sword I should buy. If I understand the limited Youki information we have correctly, we can assume that he probably used Hakurouken since it's a Konpaku family weapon, but there's no information that suggests he ever handled Roukanken. Is that right? And what kind of sword is Hakurouken? What details should I be looking for in a prop sword? Is it likely that Youki would have two swords, or one?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for reading.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Drake

« Reply #462 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »
Considering he taught Youmu and we already know at least Hakurouken is a family item, it would be a natural step to say Roukanken was also at least wielded by Youki.

Attached two pictures. The latter is probably the "clearest" "canonical" Hakurouken I've seen. Its design sort of changes depending on who draws it, but given its length and where it's worn, it's probably a wakizashi (or kodachi).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:35:08 AM by Drake »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »
So if I follow, Hakurouken is the short one and Roukanken is the long one, and I probably want both? Makes sense. In that case even without the assumption that Youki owned Hakurouken at some point I would want two swords because just the one short one would look weird.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2013, 01:00:54 AM »
Okay... I remember reading somewhere (don't remember where, tho) saying that Patchouli is also an alchemist. It makes kind of a while... so I have lost the link. But at least on touhou wiki, it says her occupations are only "Intellectual, librarian, teacher, and scholar"

I think this "alchemist" thing comes from the fact that Patchy uses the elemental system (which was developed by them in the past), and this whole elemental combos thing (Fire + Wood Sign / Water + Earth Sign... etc) has to do with chemistry, since the science deals with combining stuff.

Can someone tell me if it's written anywhere on canon material that she, in fact, deals with alchemy?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2013, 01:13:06 AM »
In the Grimoire of Marisa, she says the following:
A spell card that synthesizes jewels by hurling mudballs. Is this what they call alchemy?
This strongly suggests that she uses alchemy to form her gem based spells, by converting dirt and steels into gems. (Since this is found in the entry for her Emerald Megalith spellcard.)

A little aside; the philosopher's stone was originally thought to be a tool for alchemists, so that somewhat supports the above since one of her strongest spells is using the philosopher's stones themselves.

I unfortunately can't find any direct quotes that say, "Patchi is an alchemist" but this is the best I can find, sorry :P
I finally got ahead!

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
Marisa says in WaHH that magicians rely on mercury and sulphur, and that's why so many have frail bodies.

Magicians aren't just people with magical power; there's plenty of those. They're scientists. Heck, Marisa uses the mini-hakkero as a Bunsen burner more than she uses it to fight.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:40:59 PM by Prime32 »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
This strongly suggests that she uses alchemy to form her gem based spells

No, it suggests Marisa is wondering if it's alchemy. Not the same thing.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
No, it suggests Marisa is wondering if it's alchemy. Not the same thing.

No, it CONFIRMS Marisa is wondering if it's alchemy. Not the same thing.

In addition to this, assuming Marisa can be taken at her word (because she states the way the spell card works as a matter of fact), it also confirms that Patchouli is capable of synthesizing jewels by hurling mudballs.

Webster.com defines alchemy as :

1: a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold,

2:a power or process of transforming something common into something special

3: an inexplicable or mysterious transmuting

If, in fact, the spell card is indeed "synthesizing jewels by hurling mudballs", which is what Marisa claims it does (and I personally think it's difficult to imagine her screwing up that observation, given that Patchouli throwing mud balls that transform into gems right in front of your eyes would be a pretty difficult thing to miss), then it does indeed match the definition of alchemy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:25:17 PM by Tiamat »

Tengukami

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
If "changes something ordinary into something special" is alchemy, then that's a pretty broad definition, but sure, why not.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #470 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »
Is there a link to the English translated lyrics of "Amorous Attention"?

Drake

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:06:34 AM by Drake »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #472 on: April 24, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
Another quesiton!!! And thanks drake
Is there a link to Jynx's remake of Icemilk Magic? I've been trying to find it since forever...

« Reply #473 on: April 25, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
nice to meet you all  :)
while I search on itune I find these album

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/game-collection-from-touhou/id583186027
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/anime-diamonds/id483259172

my question is
Are these albums receive copyright from ZUN ?

As far as I understand ZUN allow the rearrange song to sell on small market but these album are on itune which is worldwide ,so Is it against Zun's rule ?

sorry for my very bad english and thank you for your answer

Tengukami

« Reply #474 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:07 AM »
Welcome eyeeye!

We can refer here to ZUN's copyright terms. He does say "Selling doujin works in commercial channels is generally not allowed," and iTunes I think probably counts as a commercial channel. Unless the original Japanese of "commercial channel" means something completely different.

« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
If the three fairies ever manage to get a way of causing harm, they have almost perfect stealth capabilities at their disposal so they can potentially be dangerous. Until they do, I guess they're professional at Hide & Seek.

Star Sapphire used a bomb in the 3 Fairies Manga, so yes, they could be potentially be dangerous. Maybe not to Tohou characters, but definitely to normal people.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #476 on: May 02, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
Okay, so it looks like Manpuku Jinja has something new on the radar. Can anyone who can read moonrunes elaborate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEFsPi2599w

Drake

« Reply #477 on: May 02, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »
Nothing new. This was the preview they gave at Comic1. The new work is still planned to be released at Reitaisai, but it isn't finished yet.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #478 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:15 AM »
Wait a second.

If Gensokyo has populations of extinct creatures, does that mean somewhere in Gensokyo there's DINOSAURS? :]

« Reply #479 on: May 06, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »
I think the criteria is more along the lines of being "forgotten/passed-into-legend" than just "not there anymore"; as a counter-example, Remilia, Kanako, and Mamizou were still in the Outside World until their respective games. (But this is how magazines on the moon landing made it to Kourindou.)