Author Topic: Touhou "Bragging Rights" Thread (VII)  (Read 155871 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou "Bragging Rights" Thread (VII)
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
MoF Lunatic clear!

My first Lunatic clear, hooray! Obviously not a 1cc, but hey, one step at a time.

Influenced by my recent attempts at timing out VoWG on Hard (for gap-reading practice), I felt like (finally) unlocking the Lunatic version. I know MoF is prone to bomb-spam, but I can't say I expected to clear it this quickly (I remember it took me 4-6 hours or so to clear Stage 6 Hard alone). It'll be a while before I get used to VoWG Lunatic's greater speed, of course, but I'm still really excited that I got this.

EDIT: VoWG Lunatic no-deaths/2-bombs. (current history: 0/20)

Psuedo-lucky dodges galore, seriously (and obviously not as good as a real capture). I suppose I could have been more "in the zone" while playing, but looking at it again, I almost have trouble seeing how I pulled this off. Probably because I'm not used to regularly performing dodges at this level, like the real pros do.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:45:31 AM by Funen1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
SA No Bomb 1cc

More forgiving than the MoF No Bomb 1cc I did before (MoF allows 8 deaths, while in this run I die 10 times, although up to 12 deaths are possible if you manage to survive every mid/boss attack for life fragments), although I still scrape by with no extra lives in stock.  Most deaths I blame on a combination of lack of practice and the fact that it's 2 am as I do this (mostly the latter).

Summary of Fail:

Stage 1:
Yamame's opener (really didn't feel like restarting to fix this)

Stage 3:
pre-midboss lasers (tired, forgot how to shoot things down to minimize lasers and maximize dodging room)

Stage 4:
after the green amulet spam (mistimed the streaming, found myself off-center and mostly at the mercy of lasers)
Flying Insect's Nest
Border of Wave and Particle (I'm tired...)

Stage 5:
midboss opener
NOT Catwalk (between this and capturing Peerless during my MoF run, what's with me capturing the stupidest shit in these runs?)
Ghost Wheels (for some retarded reason, this one gives me a lot more trouble than I'd like to admit)

Stage 6:
noncard 2
Peta Flare (sat in front of a solid wall expecting to end the card before getting hit, got hit after scoring the capture and the life fragment)
Subterranean Sun (totally didn't see the red bullet I rammed into while dodging snowballs)

As an additional note, due to tiredness and my speakers playing at a lower volume to not disturb sleeping roommates, my focus-dancing during Stage 5 is not lined up with the music.  It bugs me a bit, but it adds an additional drunken danmaku god feel to it.

PCB is the most likely candidate for the next no-bomb attempt, although I may add a rule to suicide after broken borders to eliminate the advantage that those give.  I'm not familiar enough with EoSD and IN to be attempting no-bomb runs for them, UFO is probably a bad idea (considering clipdeath rage, how useful bombs are for UFO collecting, and how badly chain-deaths will screw you over with the power system), and PC-98 is even less familiar than EoSD and IN, considering LLS is the only one I've 1cced at all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:35:33 AM by Krim »
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Formless God

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 03:47:08 PM »
I thought you get 10 life bonuses for collecting every single life fragments in the game ? Including

Okay, I'll leave that line unfinished. I actually read "mid/boss" as "midboss" :V

Asteroid Belt 1/5 with right eye closed, 1/3 with left eye closed and 1/2 with both eyes closed open :V
Unseasonal Butterfly Storm 0/1 with left eye closed and 1/1 insta-capture with both eyes open. Yay ?

It's a pretty silly handicap >_>

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Perfect ReimuA Satori fight.

Had one death on the stage because I got walled during the streaming. :c
Does anyone have a 100% consistent strategy for this? The green amulets look static or at least aimed.

While I'm at it, I would like to request a timeout of both Murasa's last noncard and Byakuren's "Makai Butterfly" card.
I know how to do the latter, but not fully through. If I get there at 2 power, I'm usually screwed.
The former is the only reason why a perfect stage 4 run is impossible for me.

@Krim
PCB is really easy to do no bombs, you should definitely be able to do it.

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »
Since the announcement of Double Spoiler, or at least since i heard about it, i have been playing a lot of Shoot the Bullet. I want to finish the game. I've had it around for over a year and barely played it. But now i have 70 scenes cleared. 15 left to go. All of Level 9 cleared. Kaguya's "ceiling" and "mysterium" was very troublesome for me. Not so much because of the patterns themselves but more crippled by Aya's movement speed. I hope that get polished up a bit for DS. It makes for unnecessary frustration. All of Eirins attacks were laughably easy though.

While I'm at it, I would like to request a timeout of both Murasa's last noncard

Yes, i would like to see that as well because i wanted to do a perfect run of just the boss. This old viking's too lazy for full stage perfection.  ::)

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
Had one death on the stage because I got walled during the streaming. :c
Does anyone have a 100% consistent strategy for this? The green amulets look static or at least aimed.

Green amulets are aimed (or at least, I assume so, since every other amulet pattern in the stage is aimed).  It's not something I can entirely explain in words, and it's not something I can point out in a video due to lag, but I use musical cues to time my streaming direction changes.  Best I can say is to experiment with it.  Green amulets are more bark than bite, and I don't have them memorized at all, simply straight-up reading them each time.  Your primary concern is to have stream timing that doesn't get you walled.  Also remember to time your streaming to end near the middle of the screen so you're prepared when the lasers come.  There is a safespot on the edges should you get stuck there (if you graze just outside one of the outermost vertical red lasers, you should dodge through the blue diagonal lasers fine, iirc), but it's a last resort, since due to the green amulets, it's unreliable since you might have to dodge an amulet while you're stuck in laser hell (although, if it's aimed, you could theoretically memorize out a way that that doesn't happen, but that's a level of micromemorization I'm not expecting).

While I'm at it, I would like to request a timeout of both Murasa's last noncard[...] the only reason why a perfect stage 4 run is impossible for me.

Grumble grumble...

I don't think the replay would help much anyway.  All I can say is it's lightspeed reading.

Byakuren's "Makai Butterfly" card[...] If I get there at 2 power, I'm usually screwed.

I'd pull one out for you, but baw class.  I'm sure Baity has one sitting around the moment he sees this post anyway.

@Krim
PCB is really easy to do no bombs, you should definitely be able to do it.

I know.  Not entirely sure why I haven't done it yet, since PCB is one of my stronger games.  Soon.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »
I've found that sticking to one side makes it much, much eaiser, but this is may be preference. Though, I can back this up by saying that if you're in the correct position, you can take out the smaller fairies as soon as they enter the screen, which gives you more breathing space. And it destroys the larger fairies before they fire their second set.

While I'm at it, I would like to request a timeout of both Murasa's last noncard and Byakuren's "Makai Butterfly" card.
I'd pull one out for you, but baw class.  I'm sure Baity has one sitting around the moment he sees this post anyway.
Good morning! Screw timeout, this is all you need to know about it. 1.xx, stalled a bit even for added leeway. All the timeout involves is learning the last 2-3 waves, which I only learnt once and forgot it thereafter. For added effect: The outline shown is possible with all Shot Types, regardless of Power.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »
Isn't there something static about Murasa's third non-spell?

--------------------

Update on my StB progress: 75 scenes beaten. All of Komachi's are down and Shikieiki's first two as well. I got really frustrated during 8-4. 10 Photos long with the first five and final three being piss-easy. I looked up SP's showcase video to get tips for it - very helpful video btw. - and i saw him treat Photo 6 and 7 similar to 3 and 4 but if i tried to do that i would always get hit in some way. I couldn't get it down and every failure would spell having to retry the entire thing again. I ended up dodging them.

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »
Fantasy Heaven is now 1/219! I still have twenty cards to capture or so, but that one looked like the worst of the bunch by far... whether it's been worthwhile spending two hours on it is another thing altogether!

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »
Isn't there something static about Murasa's third non-spell?
The entire thing? The only thing that actually gives it "variety" is RBM (Random Boss Movement).
<>

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
Phew... captured all 10 levels of scenes in StB. Only extra awaits. So far, its been very enjoyable though a few select scenes have been annoying like hell. Still, its very few out of very many pretty attacks so yeah, the game is pretty awesome. I'll wait with Extra till' later though. I'm tired and going to school tomorrow.

PS: Its rare that i spend so much time with Touhou continuously. Its exhausting. :D

The entire thing? The only thing that actually gives it "variety" is RBM (Random Boss Movement).

Oh, well all the runs i have seen in which it was captured, usually by those shmup gods from the east, use similar movements everytime. Maybe its a static pattern which aiming is determined by bosses position?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
Oh, well all the runs i have seen in which it was captured, usually by those shmup gods from the east, use similar movements everytime. Maybe its a static pattern which aiming is determined by bosses position?
Erm...that's exactly what Baity just said.  You must have noticed yourself, no?

It's one of the things I've actually learned from Lunatic-level play: the ability to pick up on the fact that some things are static, some aimed, some random.  Pretty cool.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »

Wow, I just had the most epic SA lunatic no bombs 1cc ever.

Here's a brief summary:
Stage 1 
Death on Yamame. No, not her opener, her FIRST CARD.

Stage 3
Death on Mt Ooe. Yeah, I've got nothing.

Stage 4
Stage 4 was a fucking trainwreck. It starts immediately with suiciding with a red laser at the very start. Dying as the midboss was clearing. Dying again five seconds later by crashing into one of the enemies, followed by another suicide at the purple waves.
So yeah, I entered Satori with no lives left. :V
Another death on DBDB, leaving me to enter stage 5 with no lives left yet again.

Stage 5
Caught catwalk. Popcorn death. Another death on GOAST wheels because I messed up my timing.

Stage 6
Enter Utsuho with no lives left and still managed to make it. Death on her second noncard.

Phew, I was hanging on no lives left for pretty much everything from Satori and onwards. This was pretty intense.

Spoiler:
I totally wasn't inspired by Krim, what are you talking about?  ::)

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »
I totally wasn't inspired by Krim, what are you talking about?  ::)

Eh, not that I care (realized that was a little ambiguous... "don't care" that you were inspired by me, not "don't care" about your accomplishment).  Half of my past achievements are inspired by shit that someone else did anyway.  Honestly, I'm surprised you kept going after that Stage 4 failtrain.  I lack that kind of discipline and will just ragequit if I randomly decide to crash like that.  And I'm glad I'm not the only one who'll capture everything in Orin's arsenal except Ghost (damn you people and your misspelling of such a simple word) Wheels in a real run (if I remember correctly, I did the same thing in my second best attempt at a no-bomb 1cc which was a good 9 months or so ago, capturing catwalk and everything else except motherfuckin' Ghost Wheels... I really am horrible at this card).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:30:38 PM by Krim »

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »
Hooray, all EX-Scenes captured in StB! Only Stage 10 left...

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:12 AM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=7552

I feel reborn again as a Touhou player. That was just TOO fun. 3rd UFO lunatic 1cc, done after about an hour of grinding. Like the comments say, every single 1cc of this game has me doing worse and worse, this time me ending 0/0. I have no idea how I captured Devil's Recitation after falling into the death pit at the bottom.

But yes, it's been months since Touhou has made my heart pound so hard.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:20:30 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:56 AM »
Eh, not that I care (realized that was a little ambiguous... "don't care" that you were inspired by me, not "don't care" about your accomplishment).  Half of my past achievements are inspired by shit that someone else did anyway.  Honestly, I'm surprised you kept going after that Stage 4 failtrain.  I lack that kind of discipline and will just ragequit if I randomly decide to crash like that.  And I'm glad I'm not the only one who'll capture everything in Orin's arsenal except Ghost (damn you people and your misspelling of such a simple word) Wheels in a real run (if I remember correctly, I did the same thing in my second best attempt at a no-bomb 1cc which was a good 9 months or so ago, capturing catwalk and everything else except motherfuckin' Ghost Wheels... I really am horrible at this card).

Hahaha there's gotta be a rule out there that requires all SA no bombs 1ccs to be train wrecks. My run captured every one of Orin's cards except for Ghost Wheels too...except I still died six times on stage five...and yet still got the 1cc.

12 lives is a lot of lives rofl

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2010, 03:01:07 AM »
1cc: Normal:
1: HRtP
2: SoEW
3: PoDD
4: LLS
5: MS
6: EoSD
7: PCB
8: IN
10: MoF
11: SA
12: UFO
13: StB

1cc: Hard:

1: LLS
2: EoSD
3: IN
4: UFO

1cc: Lunatic:

1: LLS
2: EoSD

That is all.

Formless God

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2010, 05:23:08 AM »
"Magic Butterfly"

If I get there at 2 power, I'm usually screwed.

Is a capture at 1 Power okay ?

I was trying to suicide at Cloudy Omen by not bombing.
Then I suddenly captured it :V

The rest is fail beyond imagination, especially Superhuman and LFO. But the final score was nice.

:V

mikeKOSA

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2010, 05:24:28 AM »
EoSD Stage 6 Lunatic no deaths 3 bombs

scarlet meister and scarlet gensokyo is just too harsh...

nintendonut888

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3523/llsex.jpg

I decided on a whim to go and play LLS lunatic, but with the sole purpose of fighting Kurumi's second phase at max rank without bombing it. Not only did I capture it, I went on to do the best LLS lunatic 1cc I've ever done, and get it on camera to boot. I made some silly mistakes and paranoid bombing, but the thing is that even with all that, this is still the best run out of the over a dozen ones I've done.

I was gonna wait until the English patches were finally complete, but this is too good not to put on Youtube.

There was some miscommunication; the resize code is not to be used. Please thumbnail or link to images. ~Matsuri
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:30:33 PM by Matsuri »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2010, 06:23:05 AM »
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3523/llsex.jpg

I decided on a whim to go and play LLS lunatic, but with the sole purpose of fighting Kurumi's second phase at max rank without bombing it. Not only did I capture it, I went on to do the best LLS lunatic 1cc I've ever done, and get it on camera to boot. I made some silly mistakes and paranoid bombing, but the thing is that even with all that, this is still the best run out of the over a dozen ones I've done.

I was gonna wait until the English patches were finally complete, but this is too good not to put on Youtube.
What.
I suck.

You only died FIVE TIMES!? :O
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:30:52 PM by Matsuri »

nintendonut888

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2010, 06:42:34 AM »
What.
I suck.

You only died FIVE TIMES!? :O

Hence why I'm putting it on Youtube once I stop being lazy. 7 deaths is a decent run for me, 6 is exceptional. I've never gotten 5 before. If I hadn't done so many silly panic bombs, I could have even gotten away with 4 deaths.

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »
Lol, i had no lives left when i was done with my first (done on a whim though). Should be interesting to watch donut!

ebarrett

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
seriously donut, even my 10 death/30 bomb run had a better score  :V

nintendonut888

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
seriously donut, even my 10 death/30 bomb run had a better score  :V

You'll see exactly why it's so low when I get around to making the videos. I purposefully avoid streaming during much of stage 3 and all of stage 6, simply because it's more fun to dodge it my way. >:3

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2010, 08:36:41 AM »
seriously donut, even my 10 death/30 bomb (old) no bomb run (incomplete) had a better score  :V

Oh, and just so you know, the theoretical High Score limit is about
Spoiler:
95 million for LLS.
Just saying.

Cut: And yes, doing Stage 3 the other way is a lot more fun I suppose.
EDIT: Seriously, congrats.
EDIT 2: wait wait.
EDIT 3:

There we go.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:41:15 AM by Baity »
<>

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:39 PM »
After being distracted by the high score contests over in Akyu's, I have finally gotten around to beating MoF Easy with MarisaunBugged. Smashed my old high score, too :V

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »
MoF No-Vertical Normal 1cc.
Absolutely horrendous run, ending with no lives and 2.00 power, but hey, I did it with MarisaB, with VSync removing the bug :V

Also, Shoot the Bullet EX-Stage on YouTube now!
I was thinking of uploading all the Scenes by Stage. It'd finally give me motivation to clear the game on my own.

Heartbeam

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
Not much to say.  Phantasm clearly needs a refresher when the months old scores are being outdone by pure survival runs.

Extra
Reimu A
Reimu B
Marisa A
Marisa B
Sakuya A
Sakuya B

Phantasm
Reimu A
Reimu B
Marisa A
Marisa B
Sakuya A
Sakuya B

Only Marisa B Phantasm had any 'real' dodging involved for the one spell that counts.  It may be my imagination but the phase of BoLaD with the blue medium sized bullets is harder than its Extra counterpart, and not because the spell lasts another phase.  Well, maybe that too.  I don't remember how much the butterfly bullets limit movement.  The attack is faster on average, maybe?  And the bullets overlap more but that could be my own inexperience with how the attack pans out.