Author Topic: Touhou ANGRY RAGING SMASH SMASH Thread #6  (Read 161637 times)

Re: Touhou ANGRY RAGING SMASH SMASH Thread #6
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
Other problem:  Minus Fantasy Seal, Master Spark, and Slash of Present, all of the non-LW bombs in IN are lame.

And since no-one in their right mind uses anybody other than Nether team, Border team, Scarlet team, or Youmu solo, that problem isn't quite as large as you might think. :V

Though Sakuya's bomb is okay as long as the screen isn't too cluttered with invincible familiars (which happens fairly often unfortunately).

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »
Other problem:  Minus Fantasy Seal, Master Spark, and Slash of Present, all of the non-LW bombs in IN are lame.
Some of them depend on usage.  I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get near/right on top of the enemy for Red The Nightless Castle, but it's been a while since I've last played IN and even longer since I played that particular team.

Out of all the Touhou games I've played I consider IN Marisa to be the hardest S4 boss.  Random bullets coming from the sides is something that's hard for me to deal with.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
How do you even properly play Scarlet Team? The only reason I can even make it to stage 4 with them is Sakuya's spread, and Yuyuko is better for that type of attack due to not being blocked by familiars.

And I find Reimu harder than Marisa. Though they both force me to die/bomb several times.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
Some of them depend on usage.  I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get near/right on top of the enemy for Red The Nightless Castle, but it's been a while since I've last played IN and even longer since I played that particular team.
It still doesn't do much damage, and there's the awkward retreat phase after it ends but while you're still invulnerable.

How do you even properly play Scarlet Team? The only reason I can even make it to stage 4 with them is Sakuya's spread, and Yuyuko is better for that type of attack due to not being blocked by familiars.
Use Remilia on most bosses and any time you can stop enemies before they begin.  Use Sakuya for stage enemies when you need range.  Basically, use Remilia and learn the game well enough to position her familiars properly.  She's pretty great if you learn to use her.

Reimu has three hard attacks.  One is her opener, which is an autobomb for Marisa/Sakuya solo and not too difficult for anyone else after you focus.  Another is Migrating Spirit -Dark-, which is one of the weirdest streaming cards in the series.  The third is Blink, which is an even weirder (and more complicated) streaming card but one you don't really have to learn how to do because it's a Last Spell.

EDIT:  Here's a replay showing the general ideas for how to use Scarlet Team.  I say "general ideas" because aside from some obvious mistakes, I also showed why I have a higher cap rate on Poisonous Moth's Scales than Hoot of the Horned Owl, why I'm the only person who likes IN Stage 3, why Brilliant Diamond Bullet and Hourai Jewel are Kaguya's easiest spell cards, and exactly who out there still fails Invisible Full Moon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:58:28 PM by u? »

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:47:41 PM by SupahVee1234 »

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
Why must I ram the SAME bullet at the SAME time on High-Sensitivity Nazrin Pendulum over and over and over again? -.-

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
Terukuni Throughtout the World. What the fuck is with this card? Isn't this thing supposed to be easy? I can't even get close to capturing it.

That is the only Lunatic card in MoF I have yet to capture. Oh yeah, I haven't captured the Hard version either.

"Tengu's Fall Wind" also hasn't been captured yet. Also missing Source of Rain's Hard. Also haven't captured Kanako's third card on Normal(MarisaBug capture doesn't count)

I also haven't captured Jade of the Horrid River, 7 Stones and 7 Trees, Froggy Braves the Elements, and Suwa War

These 8 cards are all I have left to capture in MoF. Hell, I don't even know how to do most of Suwako's cards in the first place and even for the ones I do know, I suck at them . But I can't get anywhere near capturing these 8. I've only captured Suwako's first survival card once, I've never gotten close again either.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »

You know what's sad?  I can't tell whether that was actually made by Buckley or not.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
Haha yeah. I could've added a miscarriage joke in there.

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
Arrive at Hard mode Scarlet Meister at 0/1.

Hey, I've got a good idea, let's try to capture it and bomb if things look bad, after all if I can save it for Scarlet gensokyo, it'd help. I flew right into one of the first bullets.

Udongein

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
I died to a laser on Forbidden Arcanum "Hourai Elixir".
...within the first 15 seconds of the card starting.
 >:(

Bananamatic

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 02:59:23 AM »
I probably don't like Touhou anymore.

played EoSD for fun.
Walled by Hailstorm during the first 2 seconds.

But I freaking love Meiling.
Flower Dream Vine=fun. It's far from bullshit.
Both Chaos Dance and Extreme Color Typhoon are just fun fast reflex dodging.

Then the fun level takes a nosedive and crashes harder than the first UFO release after 1 bil score.

Why the hell is st4 so stupid.

You HAVE to stream, all the time, one different move and your ass is unavoidably walled.

Monotonous streaming is suddenly interrupted by these stupidly hard books, followed by Koakuma which is also an autobomb thanks to the stupid hitboxes+random walls.

next: stream stream stream stream OH SHIT WRONG MOVE BOMB stream stream great walled in lasers, stream, cancel bullet fairies, bomb, patchouli

FUCK
I
HATE
PATCHOULI

How do you constantly do NDL. I always get hit because I somehow clip the bullets or because it ends just past the middle.

Bury In Lake.
FUCK OFF. No other comments on this card.

Second NDL. Same, except that wrong direction and you are walled.

Green Storm is actually fun, but I always screw it up because I'm already fucking pissed at the 3 bullshit attacks in a row.

Water Elf. Shitty hitboxes. TWO KINDS OF THEM. No.
Mercury Poison isn't all that bad. Emerald Megalith atleast lets me guess when I should bomb.

St5 sucks
St6 sucks x2

MORE RANDOM REFLEX BASED CARDS, LESS SHITTY HITBOXES, LESS STREAMING, LESS MEMORIZATION
Quote from: ZUN
But then it wouldn't be Touhou.
Got a point there.

I can always fire up a Cave shmup and miserably fail, but I still have fun with much less rage.

When I screw up, it's because I didn't kill an enemy in time.
Because I didn't react in time.
Because I'm simply not good enough.
Because I didn't learn the stage all that well.

Not because the hitboxes suck ass or some of the attacks being plain bullshit.

I don't remember any clipdeath in Dodonpachi or Progear. Or Giga Wing for that matter.
I don't remember ever saying "where the fuck is the hitbox anyways" or "how the hell did THAT hit me"

I don't even feel like trying Touhou on lunatic because I know that I'll get bs'd sooner or later and it'll all end up in ragequits and repetition.

Other shmups atleast offer enjoyable scoring systems where if I have to restart I can always try to score better or learn a few new tricks in the stage without safespot abuse so I can PoC or supergraze patterns all the time.

It's all about trying to figure out how to link the enemies into a bigger chain, where to wait for the smaller enemies so I can milk the big one for items or how to avoid that usual autobomb to keep my multipliers high.

Not where I have to supergraze in a safespot or where I can PoC.

Other shmups make me want to understand the scoring mechanism and even though I am nowhere close to 1cc it, I still care about score and beating my own personal high always feels good.

Touhou...I have cared about score only once, and that was UFO extra.

Touhou introduced me into shmups, but once I have tried other games, I have found myself playing Touhou less and less and I have realized everything in this giant wall of text.

/rant

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »
Considering you like read and dodge, I thought you'd like Patchouli because that's mostly what she is. Nondirectional Lasers aren't an issue for me other than I usually end up timing the damn things out.

Sylphae Horn High Level is complete and utter bullshit though. So are almost all of her MarisA cards.

Arrived at Scarlet Meister 0/1 again. Bomb it and die right before the spell was about to end. I died 2 fucking times on Stage 3 again. I derped some on Patchouli. I know I can 1cc this on Hard. I don't even know how I'm going to approach Lunatic once I do this. Same goes for PCB, but I don't play that much.

The overly random boss attacks in EoSD always fuck up my attempts. Probably why I do better in MoF/SA, less randomness.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:19:33 AM by Enigma »

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 03:57:05 AM »
Hey guys, ZUN just gave me the source code for TH06.

This helps my programming career greatly...Now I wonder what the TH11 method is.

Also can you share the create bullet method You showed the throw random crap method why not show the create bullet method.

As a fellow programmer type, I'd like to know.

Bananamatic

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »
lmao
just tried MarisA patchy

I don't see how any of her cards are fun or even moderately fair

though I've timed out Flower Dream Vine and Chaos Dance.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:20 AM »
lmao
just tried MarisA patchy

I don't see how any of her cards are fun or even moderately fair

They aren't. No, really. Apparently to make up for MarisA being an awesome shot type, Patchy decides to utterly destroy her.

ebarrett

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:34 AM »
Eh? Patchouli is my favourite boss of the game, honestly. I'd play her more if I didn't have to put up with the bullshit, boring stage portion. Plus her noncards annoy me- that burst of bullets followed by the laser that rotates. Wtf is that? I can never do it, makes me waste bombs and lives, pointless.

The cards in general, though? Pretty fun. The fireball bullets are pretty. It's all read & dodge, believe it or not, except in this case you have to stay up enough to read potential walls.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »
I really need to try the other shottypes more.

I wonder how I would do with ReimuB or MarisaB. Hell, even ReimuA, and I don't really care for homing. I wonder if I'd do the same or better. At least I'd do better at Patchy most likely if I switched.

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
DARN IT BYAKUREN.
Two 1cc runs ended at her final spell ;____;
I did considerably better on my second run (Five lives as opposed to three) but I still managed to fail miserably on every single card she throws at me, even Mystic Fragrance of a Makai Butterfly, because I ran into a laser D:
Ugh I shall defeat you someday D:<

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2010, 07:11:57 AM »
SA is rage inducing.  I don't need to say anymore.

Oh yeah, and today was the first time that I confused a bullet for a point item on SA Stage 4.  They look fairly similar :P

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 09:11:18 AM »
The non-directional lasers should die in a fire, and so does Sylphae horn. And the music, as well. I also want to set fire to the stage, because of how bad it is. Look, just let me remove stage 4 from EoSD and I'll be happy.

And Bananamatic: EoSD isn't the Touhou you're precisely going to love, given its randomness and tendency to wtfwall you. It's like those vintage games, hard as hell and unfriendly to newcomers, you need to be an estimator to be able to play and enjoy. It's like Mega Man NES, play any of the games but the first and they're going to be awesome, given the polish they have. Then play the very first, and oh Jesus that's how they started?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:16:05 AM by Van Helion »

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
That's true. After having played all the other Mega Man games i actually found the first one to be rather mediocre in comparison.

To Bananamatic:

Your post gives an indication that are very frustrated. It would be best if you took a break from playing, just to calm down. I know exactly how you feel with the only difference being that my frustrations were with something else.

Just avoid those Touhou games you don't enjoy to play. Its not like you have anything to prove. I for one am probably never gonna 1cc UFO Lunatic. You can just make EoSD your UFO Lunatic. And yes, Hong is enjoyable to fight but i can say the same about certain portions of all Touhou games no matter what i might think of them. UFO does have cards like RTG and Sinkable Vortex that i find fun for example.

I hope that you will get over your rage. You are a good player and it would be sad to lose you.

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
Apparently I still suck at EoSD regardless of shottype. Why am I dying to Cirno on Hard?

Why can I not beat Stage 3 without dying?

How the fuck are you supposed to deal with stage 4's final parts before Patchouli without bombing or dying?

Also, what's the proper way to do Cirno's opener because although I can do it without bombing, there is no way that I'm doing it how I'm probably supposed to.

Helion

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
Also, what's the proper way to do Cirno's opener because although I can do it without bombing, there is no way that I'm doing it how I'm probably supposed to.
Start from top corner, stream first 3 waves, blast her until she starts throwing the shotgun at you again. Stream all other shotguns by left-righting.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
Walled by Hailstorm during the first 2 seconds.
This shouldn't happen; the attack is pseudo-static. Either that, or you're exaggerating 2 seconds.

St6 sucks x2

MORE RANDOM REFLEX BASED CARDS, LESS SHITTY HITBOXES, LESS STREAMING, LESS MEMORIZATION
This in its own right contradicts itself.

When I screw up, it's because I didn't kill an enemy in time.
Because I didn't react in time.
Because I'm simply not good enough.
Because I didn't learn the stage all that well.
This also applies to Touhou as well; in fact it could be applied to just about every single game in existence. Omitted first point because... well... it doesn't happen that often, does it?
Not because the hitboxes suck ass or some of the attacks being plain bullshit.
...And while flipping things onto their heads, this also applies to non-Touhou games.

Context of quotes have been noted; there is no room for misrepsorry couldn't help it; was reading tonight.

Quote from: Various People
WHY IS NDL IMPOSSIBLE, etc.
When I wake up tomorrow, the very first thing I'm going to do is demonstrate how to do NDL. Seriously, it's the easiest thing Patchy has. Wait... maybe also
Quote from: Wait, I think this is more apporpriate
EoSD in general.
Actually I might even take this to another level.
Quote from: While I'm at it
The entirety of UFO  :V
OK, I think I've seen enough of this over the past year.

TD:
Spoiler:
MarisaA!EoSD, :InsertShotTypeHere:!UFO (improvement) upload and annotate
. Oh ye Gods, the latter task (type;
Spoiler:
annotating
) will be a pain, considering that I have to watch through my runs several times to see if the annotations even line up right.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:34:39 PM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
Apparently I still suck at EoSD regardless of shottype. Why am I dying to Cirno on Hard?

Why can I not beat Stage 3 without dying?

How the fuck are you supposed to deal with stage 4's final parts before Patchouli without bombing or dying?

This stuff actually belongs in the spellcard help topic even though they are non-spells and stage portions.

Stage 3 - This one is best to memorize. If you could clarify what it is that is troubling you it would be easier to help out.

Stage 4's final part: You are supposed to shoot the middle fairy a bit but not kill it. Then go the left/right fairy and kill it. Then move towards the other side of the screen, kill the fairy in the middle and then the final one.

When you kill the fairies, they clear out all the bullets on screen so the process should work like this: You shoot the middle one a little, move to the left, kill fairy there and bullets are cleared. You start making your way to the right and kill the middle fairy so you won't get slaugthered. Then you take out the final fairy.

Cirno's opener: I redirect the first shot and dodge through the rest but many would suggest further redirecting. My method takes out the attack before Cirno gets to start a second wave - she might fire it but she should go down before you have to dodge it.

Helion

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 12:48:15 PM »
Cirno's opener: I redirect the first shot and dodge through the rest but many would suggest further redirecting. My method takes out the attack before Cirno gets to start a second wave - she might fire it but she should go down before you have to dodge it.
Unless you're very good at reading fast moving "checker" (kind of one bullet in your way, one away from you and so on) patterns and are able to avoid clipping it, then this method is ideal. I suck at both.

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 12:53:49 PM »
Actually I can now do Cirno's opener on Hard by just standing down her and dodge (not micrododge) the shotguns. It's not hard.

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
Stage 3 is mostly Meiling deaths, both midboss and boss. I rarely die on the actual stage. I can expect to die once, but I keep dying with bombs in stock both times and even worse sometimes without which means I'm playing bad either way.

I know that much on stage 4, I was referring to the streaming crap before the final fairies in it. You can't kill them before they wall you. And there seems to be no way to avoid walling.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:01:48 PM by Enigma »