Author Topic: The New Spellcard Help Thread  (Read 154511 times)

Re: The New Spellcard Help Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
I think I heard that the knives on it were static, so you can stay to the side and not have too much to worry about from them. The bubbles are still aimed, so you have to be careful either way.
I'm pretty sure the knives are static. I don't have any real strategy for this, but I can capture it about half the time by staying to the right side of the screen.

Bananamatic

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
Which one are the goast knives? :V

Btw, how to get more points in PCB? I can't reach the 1000 item extend.

If I got that it would be a 1cc, but I've done silly shit like forgetting about the backshots on Eternal Truth and just trying to finish her off.

Oh well, reached her 3rd nonspell....that's an improvement I guess.

EDIT: Uh, and the Ageless Obsession safespot either doesn't work or it has to be pixel perfect.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:09:42 AM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »
EDIT: Uh, and the Ageless Obsession safespot either doesn't work or it has to be pixel perfect.
I can do it pretty consistently. You have to be about halfway between the 'n' and the 'e'. Example:

Bananamatic

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »
Still nothing.
Does Sakuya have the hitbox placed higher or something? Doesn't work with Reimu.

Also, does ANYONE have an actual strategy for Blue UFO as ReimuA?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »
Still nothing.
Does Sakuya have the hitbox placed higher or something? Doesn't work with Reimu.

Also, does ANYONE have an actual strategy for Blue UFO as ReimuA?
I usually do it like this. If it can be done unfocused using that method, it shouldn't be too hard to pull off on a standard run. :V
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 12:23:44 PM »
Anything for Grudge Bow? I always get completely shat on by the 4th phase.
Captured it only once out of 35 attempts or so.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »
Nah, as far as I can see there aren't really any tricks to it, it's just sheer bullet-dodging. I could be wrong, but I think that one's just a matter of practice. :V
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »
Lunatic Keine. Everything.
EVERYTHING.
I get caved by her every time and she doesn't even need her horns.

On the last run I've died 3 times and captured only Ephemerality which is kind of weird.
Clipped everything else, both nonspells and spells.

Probably my biggest obstacle on my way to a 1cc, as Reisen is piss easy.

Does going for Eirin still make it a legit 1cc?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
I'd imagine so, but that's no fun. It's much more rewarding to go the hard way; difficulty is the point of Lunatic after all. :V

As for Keine, I can't give a lot of advice with the cards since I'm not great at them myself, but you should always be destroying a decent amount of familiars during the non-cards. She takes a long time to respawn them so it'll make your life a lot easier.
Let's fight.

ebarrett

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
Lunatic Keine. Everything.
EVERYTHING.
I get caved by her every time and she doesn't even need her horns.

Are you destroying the familiars? If not, DESTROY THE FAMILIARS

On the last run I've died 3 times and captured only Ephemerality which is kind of weird.
Clipped everything else, both nonspells and spells.

First Pyramid and The Legend of Gensokyo are micromemorizable. Evil, but micromemorizable. Legend of Gensokyo in particular becomes ridiculously easy when you learn where to move to as it goes on. The nonspells are made MUCH easier by destroying some familiars - and the nonspell familiars are fragile enough for even Reimu to do it!

For General Headquarters Crisis, I prefer to go to a corner. It results in almost timing it out but it's a lot safer. Three Sacred Treasures is stupid easy though and you should be ashamed.  :V
Spoiler:
as I am of having a less than 50% capture rate in actual runs

Probably my biggest obstacle on my way to a 1cc, as Reisen is piss easy.

IN lunatic stage 5 = net gain on resources even if you screw up the Tewi fight.

Yes, Eirin is about as hard as Kaguya anyway. Then again I've played a lot of times vs. lunatic Kaguya and no more than three or four times vs. lunatic Eirin.

And seriously, Keine is harder than anything before stage 6. If you know how to deal with Marisa/Reimu, you can even afford to die once or twice vs. Keine and still finish it with something to spare! Stage 5 is piss easy as you said, and stage 4 gives four bombs for you to bruteforce you way through whatever gives you trouble in the boss fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
The biggest problem with Marisa are the nonspells.
Not enough gaps :V

Bomb every single one of them?

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 11:45:29 PM »
I think Ephemererawhoosawhatsit and Three Treasures are the only one of Keine's attacks that aren't static.  IIRC, her nonspells are all dependent on her movement, which is either static or can be manipulated (don't remember which).

Marisa's 1st, 2nd, and 4th nonspells are static, the third is just dodging random side-bullets.  The first and fourth get easy with practice, but the second still gives me trouble because of how fucking tiny the gaps are.  I'd bomb that one just for safety.

ebarrett

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »
The biggest problem with Marisa are the nonspells.
Not enough gaps :V

Bomb every single one of them?

Whenever you feel slightly threatened, yes. When I got my first IN lunatic 1cc my plan vs. Marisa was "capture all cards but Asteroid Belt which is an autobomb, and don't be afraid of bombing the nonspells at any moment because dying/deathbombing would be stupid". Which means that if you get to Marisa with a bunch of bombs you should no-death her, and if you get there with few bombs it's a one-death fight. Pretty reasonable for a stage 4, if you ask me, even more knowing that stage 5 is a walk in the park.

Marisa's 1st, 2nd, and 4th nonspells are static

Heh, I suspected there were static patterns there but 1cc'ing IN rather quickly - and in my "resource management" mindset to boot - prevented me from facing them enough times to bother to learn. I did spend some time in spell practice, but I never did stage practices, and I only played past lunatic Mystia 6 times.

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
Heh, I suspected there were static patterns there but 1cc'ing IN rather quickly - and in my "resource management" mindset to boot - prevented me from facing them enough times to bother to learn. I did spend some time in spell practice, but I never did stage practices, and I only played past lunatic Mystia 6 times.

That's why you play as the Ghost team so you only have to memorize a wave or so before Youmu neuters the attack.

Bananamatic

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 12:03:54 AM »
Marisa's 1st, 2nd, and 4th nonspells are static
You can say that about 90% of all attacks :V
I don't see anything static about a huge wall of tiny stars.

Wylfred

• The Black Knight.
  • The Eternally Bored Butler
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 02:38:15 AM »
Flying Bowl "Flying Fantastica"  Byakuren's last spell card, how to unfail?

Bananamatic

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 03:08:15 AM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=6297
Stage 4 in general. Easy except for the bookshit and the final parts which always wall me in.

And Bury in Lake.

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 06:06:07 AM »
Flying Bowl "Flying Fantastica"  Byakuren's last spell card, how to unfail?

Push through the openings instead of letting them fly by you, and avoid the center of the screen when the cards converge. Shoot her only when you feel it's safe to do so, don't take a chance at that small opening you think you see in front of you.

So basically, dodging as usual, but on a mindfuck scale.

Guzzle some energy drinks and unleash the beast within you.

Bananamatic

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
Okay, Marisa stole my precious life stock.
4 deaths.
Didn't capture ANYTHING. No cards, no noncards, nothing.

2 deaths on st5(really screwed up Reisen) and Eirin isn't all that bad(no, Kaguya sucks and Eirin is much more fun anyways)

I also really love the stages, don't destroy something ASAP and everything will vomit bullets all over the screen.

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
Banana!! You make IN sound like UFO.

Well, to be fair, IN pretty much forces you to destroy everything in order to avoid getting flooded with danmaku. Though that is pretty much true for a lot of Touhou games isn't it?

Anyway, i don't really understand what your problem is with the stages. They can be tough but that's where you might want to plan some bombs. For example in stage 3. That can be merciless unless you destroy everything fast enough.

As for Marisa's spellcards. Your skills are quite on par with mine and at certain things better. (At other worse or so it would seem.) You should be able to capture at least Event Horizon and whatever the final spell is called consistently. Double Spark shouldn't be too troublesome and quite frankly, Asteroid Belt isn't all that insane either. Its hard yes but a cakewalk compared to S4 spells in SA and UFO.

The biggest problem with Marisa would be her non-spells. They can be tough. What i did was prepare bombs for the non-spells that were troublesome.

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 06:52:31 PM »
I find it the other way around with Eirin and Kaguya. Oh, and if it's anything like Hard, Kaguya's easier.

Okay, what's a good path for Marisa's first, second, and 4th nonspells on Lunatic? I know they're static, so it'd be nice to have a path that is easily done. I switch between Border Team and Netherworld Team, so hopefully ones that the ghosts can use.

And Stage 4 in general. I'm getting better at the stage parts of stage 2 and 3, but I still suck at Mystia and Keine.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:46:37 AM by Enigma »

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »
HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW do you survive the last 2 seconde of Fantasy Heaven.
I had almost 200 tries on this card a while a go and gave up, decided to retry and I am just so stuck. She either spawns the bullets in a fully spread pattern or with a gap somewhere. You can use that gap to escape, but in the last 4-5 seconds she only spawns fullspread patterns so there is freaking no where to go, and the middle is dangerous as hell with spawning bullets everywhere.

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
Not too much of a big deal, but...Mystia's last non-card on Lunatic. Those gaps are way too small, and it doesn't help in the 2nd+ wave that I have to deal with those other blue bullets as well. Even trying to destroy the familiars leaves me with too much blue fluff.

And yeah, I could bomb since it's a non-card...but it would be nice to know something resembling a strategy.  :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 05:56:05 PM »
Yorimasa Genzanmi.
The only EX UFO card which I can't capture at all.

QED is somewhat sightreadable, but this is just a mindless and patternless lightning fast shitfuck.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »
Not too much of a big deal, but...Mystia's last non-card on Lunatic. Those gaps are way too small, and it doesn't help in the 2nd+ wave that I have to deal with those other blue bullets as well. Even trying to destroy the familiars leaves me with too much blue fluff.

And yeah, I could bomb since it's a non-card...but it would be nice to know something resembling a strategy.  :V

Mystia's last non-card is complete garbage, I have no idea what ZUN was thinking when he made this. Bomb it everytime unless you get extremely lucky.

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW do you survive the last 2 seconde of Fantasy Heaven.
I had almost 200 tries on this card a while a go and gave up, decided to retry and I am just so stuck. She either spawns the bullets in a fully spread pattern or with a gap somewhere. You can use that gap to escape, but in the last 4-5 seconds she only spawns fullspread patterns so there is freaking no where to go, and the middle is dangerous as hell with spawning bullets everywhere.

Be insanely lucky.  :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
Not exactly spellcard help, but is MarisA stronger than ReimuA in UFO?

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »
Not exactly spellcard help, but is MarisA stronger than ReimuA in UFO?

Reimu A has a stronger shot and bomb, as well as slower movement speed and the smaller hitbox. MarisA's only real advantages are 1) Piercing, and 2) Being Marisa

Bananamatic

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
MarisA is much better at Blue UFO.
I don't really find the hitbox hindering....neither the annoying sound+overly bright options.

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »
Yorimasa Genzanmi.

QED is somewhat sightreadable, but this is just a mindless and patternless lightning fast shitfuck.

Well the trick to it is somewhat obscure. You have to like, dodge n' stuff.
No, seriously. There really isn't a trick to it. I can usually stall it for quite some time just through dodging. I think its more manageable than QED. You just gotta dodge the insanity while it lasts. If all you want is a capture then do it with ReimuA or MarisaA and get there with 4 power and be awesome! You know, like me!! Or a bunch of other people here.

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
Yorimasa Genzanmi.

It's not mindless at all. The first three phases are simple, I assume it's the last one you've troubled by.

What to do is fly to about halfway up the screen during the pattern-change, then try to move slowly down, left and right, dodging bullets. If you have enough power, you'll beat the pattern long before you get near the bottom of the screen. Try and filter the left-to-right and right-to-left bullets in your vision to make it easier.

Oh, and practice VoWG as much as you can, since the decision to micro or macro dodge is the same.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:59:03 AM by Arcengal »
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.