Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 97890 times)

Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #750 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:33 PM »
At last, my perfect losing streak has come to an end.

So all along the secret to victory was ?hardly participating? Seriously, I've only had enough time to reach measly Ghost Friend rank. Hooray for getting tree more snails than expected ?I guess?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #751 on: November 10, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
All right, I am going to reroll some gear. Got 96 shots to get some good gear.

Since they nerfed the insta-KO on splash dmg, there is no reason to get dmg up for my Blaster play. (Good thing I never invested in that).

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #752 on: November 10, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
We didn't. They are called Callie and Marie on our end, except I refuse to use those names.

Helepolis why do you hate fun?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:38:36 PM by Rin Kagamine »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #753 on: November 11, 2015, 01:34:41 AM »
Helepolis why do you hate pun?

Fixed. :derp:
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #754 on: November 24, 2015, 04:32:13 AM »
I finally managed to reclaim my Wii by just buying a 30-foot ethernet cable and running it down the hallway from the router to my room. Roommate's girlfriend has decided that my other TV is just her property and needs to be running fucking Family Guy 18 hours a day, so this was my only chance to ever get to play console games ever again.

Big content patch just came out and a lot of the new clothing looks cool, although I haven't seen almost any of it for sale yet. And I've managed to miss the new maps every time they've been up so far, so I haven't really gotten the chance to look at them yet. Been messing around with Inkbrush Nouveau, since the subs are great, but the limited range for the splash arc really sucks on some maps. Please give Octobrush Deco or something soon.

Edit: Does anyone know what the shirt at 0:44 is? It's only seen in a few brief flashes in that trailer and I haven't been able to match it to anything on any site that's compiling new equipment.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:49:12 PM by commandercool »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #755 on: November 25, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
I am not understanding the rotation of the clothing and gear. I have logged in multiple times on the day to check for the newest ones but they never ever show up.

Like getting almost rows of " you already own this "

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #756 on: November 25, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
As far as I can tell it seems to rotate once a day (logging in repeatedly doesn't seem to help) and it seems to be random per person. Which is to say, every item seems to come up equally often includint crap you already own, and I don't think evrryone has the same items visible. We can at least test that though.

Today my headgear is:
Urchins Cap
Sporty Bobble Hat
Snorkel Mask
White Arrow Headbands
Treasure Hunter (only new item)
Paintball Mask

Does that match what anyone else has? My guess is that if does match anyone it'll only be NA players, but I don't know.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #757 on: December 05, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »
So America got Burger vs Pizza, which is fair enough; I mean, kind of big on the food battle there...
What do Europe get? Well, the team must have liked the idea about pizza because we got...

Do your prefer pineapple on a pizza or not? Yes, I sh*t you not!

I'm all for food-themed Splatfests. But you can do so much more than fight over a single topping. Where is the imagination for these things?
{Also, Team Pineapple, I guess; I've always liked eating them, and I tend to always have them on a pizza where possible}

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #758 on: December 05, 2015, 11:49:51 PM »
I'm up to like 35 or 40 matches and I've seen Arowana Mall one time. Not that I mind THAT much since I kind of hate that map, but still, RNG FTW.

And am I alone in not really caring for the museum map? It looks really cool, but I don't think it's that much fun to play on. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #759 on: December 07, 2015, 12:36:20 AM »
I made a potentially really dumb call and bought an Amiibo three pack to get the squid. And I already had the other two. And not only that but I bought two of the three-pack to get a sale. So I have a looooot of Amiibos that I'm obligated to flip now. I run an Ebay store professionally so I hate having to use Ebay for personal stuff.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #760 on: December 07, 2015, 06:07:49 AM »
Also, they're selling individual Squid amiibos over in Japan again, so they're not anywhere near as expensive as they were.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #761 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:40 AM »
Oh really? Ha ha damn. That's fine, I'm not aiming to make anything extra off of these, but I could have just avoided this whole hassle by waiting. Oh well. I paid slightly less than retail for them, so I'd be plenty to make back slightly less than retail, and I'm not in any particular hurry. Unless the value tanks down to like $5 a figure somehow I should be fine.

« Reply #762 on: December 08, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
AHA. Burger lost to Pizza 37 : 63 for popularity but won 56 : 44 in wins.

Burger won in the end.

I literally went in the last hour or so and bagged myself 6 snails.

Edit: We should find some time to play together again
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:31:42 PM by Labuto »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #763 on: December 12, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »
Kamiko (and myself) do enjoy a spot of pineapple whenever they can. So of course...

She once again nails that maximum title!

Battles tonight were pretty mixed; with our team netting a pretty significant win streak during the final fights up to the Queen title. Could go either way, but I'll say this... I didn't encounter a fellow pineapple team once. I think that might be one of the first times that has happened in a while~ XD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #764 on: December 12, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
Over the course of last weak I managed to dump all of my extra Amiibos for enough that after fees I basically brought my squid down to around $15. I was just at the store where I bought mine last week, and they had one three-pack left. Good. For all of the shit Nintendo's gotten about Amiibo distribution they seem reasonably on top of this. And if they're reprinting the three-pack figures solo, even better. I was kind of hoping they would at least recolor the squid if they did that just to get more sculpts out there, but whatever.

The squid Amiibo challenges are interesting. The timed ones have been pretty easy so far, but the limited ink ones are tricky. I think I just have the last set left, which includes one more of those. Hopefully it isn't harder than the invisible platforms one, that was a rough level.

Edit: Turns out the sponge stage was easy with limited ink after all, they give you plenty.

So our next Splatfest was announced. Naughty vs. Nice. I'm torn. On one hand, I heartily disapprove of naughtiness. On the other hand, I disapprove of how the game made Callie the face of Team Naughty even though Marie is the mean one, so maybe I should side with her. Hmm...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:28:37 AM by commandercool »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #765 on: December 13, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »
Pineapple vs No Pineapple

Votes : 38 - 62
Wins {x6} : 46 - 54

Total : 314 - 386

I totally expected that. That's now my 2nd team loss, but to be honest, with how mixed the fights were last night, I knew it would be Hotaru's day. Since America has their Christmas one up, let's hope we get ours next week, seeing as thwe'll get ours this weekend. Can anyone say Boxing Day Splatfest? If not, then I'll be pretty sad~

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #766 on: December 19, 2015, 11:44:47 PM »
Splatfest is not going well so far. I picked Nice despite the fact that doing so forced me to  betray Callie. Matchmaking has been sluggish, and I'm getting trash team after trash team. Lot of people going 0/11 last place. And I've been keeping track, I have only had one match out of 18 so far where the highest level opponent wasn't higher level than our highest level member AND the lowest level opponent was higher than our lowest level member. I don't know if that's a consequence of the lopsided matchmaking or my record or if it's just bad luck, but I'm winning like less than one in five matches at this point. Placing first on my team a lot though. :V

« Reply #767 on: December 28, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #768 on: December 28, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Yeah that is disappointing. Especially so close after the first Christmas since it came out, where we presumably got a bunch of brand-new players. I guess we do have a respectable number of maps now, but still I wish they would have left it more open to at least occasional content updates (although maybe "no more REGULAR updates" does leave an opening for that?).

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #769 on: December 30, 2015, 04:17:07 AM »
AWW YEAH GUESS WHO IS A SQUID NOW?!?!?

...Level 8 and I've played some single player.

I wish they could put some mechanics in single player into a map, for example the Ink Rail things.

Also the new map (Piranha Pit or something like that) is cool, especially with the conveyor belts.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #770 on: January 02, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »
I did not get to mention this when I would have liked to... but yesterday, I had a bit of a shock...

Europe's Splatfest (get fit vs get rich in 2016) started last night; as in, on the 1st of January. Yeah, seeing a Splatfest start on Friday evening was kind of surprising. But I calmed myself down...

And Kamiko made sure that she was truly made for the money madness! I mean, there's no doubt about it, really. But yeah, it does mean I won't know the results till I get back from work tonight; so kind of glad I spotted this. Hope everyone else has a great year~ <3

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #771 on: January 16, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »
Don't forget that Splatfest is today.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #772 on: January 17, 2016, 12:52:39 AM »
I really wanted to play but I got off to a very late start and now I don't think I'll have time to easily finish. I feel bad for neglecting Splatoon lately.

Also, I'm working on an Inkling cosplay for a con this spring. It's mostly done, I just need a gun. I've been told a lot of the in-game guns are based on real Super Soakers. Does anyone have any insight into which ones? If the guns they're based on are still in print that would be great.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #773 on: January 20, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
I really wanted to play but I got off to a very late start and now I don't think I'll have time to easily finish. I feel bad for neglecting Splatoon lately.

Also, I'm working on an Inkling cosplay for a con this spring. It's mostly done, I just need a gun. I've been told a lot of the in-game guns are based on real Super Soakers. Does anyone have any insight into which ones? If the guns they're based on are still in print that would be great.
Pretty sure the Splattershot is based on the original Super Soaker, with the Jr based on a generic tiny squirt gun (except big lol)

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #774 on: January 22, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »
I pretty mush need help for an idea of my Slosher Deco build.
Because that stuff needs a ton of ink (especially the Splash Wall) i really have trouble using that pretty well combined because u mostly can only use 1 Shot after using Splash Wall. Thats why i am thinking of an Ink Saver-Build. The question just is: Which way is the best?
It's only either 3 Ink Saver (Main) as primary and 9 Ink Saver (Sub) as Secondary or 3 Ink Saver (Sub) as Primary and 9 Ink Saver (Main) as Secondary. Which way is actually more efficient for Slosher Deco?
I actually run of many times to that problem that i can't splat someone because i run out pretty fast of Ink after using the Splash Wall on a full Ink Tank and i pretty want to fix that out in thatw ay that Main and Sub using less Ink to get more use of Splash Wall for taking down opponents in thight places. Without that i really have a problem really fast.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #775 on: January 22, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
With the .96 Deco I run usually run two Ink Saver (Sub) primary and that gives me enough ink to drop the wall and fire my weapon twice, which is enough to splat just about anybody. It's still kind of a niche trick because it's slow and easy to escape from, but it expands the uses of the wall quite a lot from team support/escape only to something I can use offensively by myself.

I don't think you need to dedicate a whole set to using the wall necessarily, I notice a big difference after just one Ink Saver (Sub), but I imagine that varies some by weapon.

Zoriri

• Danmaku Trainee
« Reply #776 on: January 22, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »
I just got this game last weekend (whichever day the Past vs. Future American splatfest was) and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. One question though, is the Aerospray RG considered OP? I ask because ever since I've started using it I've been consistently in the top 2 for my team, and I can pretty easily get at least 900p per round when my team wins. I haven't had the game for even a full week yet, and I'm not the type of person who's able to get skilled at games that quickly.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #777 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
(All of this is spoken as a former Aerospray RG main.)

Nintendo has been pretty good at balancing the weapons with patches, so I don't know that anything is really "OP". That said, they tend to balance with ranked in mind, so Turf War ends up being a little bit of an afterthought. The Aerospray is certainly very good at Turf War, although it needs a decent team backing it up to actually win matches.

I've actually had a lot more success using the Aerospray in ranked than in Turf War despite thw fact that it seems to exploit the Turf War ruleset just a bit. But I think that's mostly just my playstyle, I know it's very popular.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #778 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
With the .96 Deco I run usually run two Ink Saver (Sub) primary and that gives me enough ink to drop the wall and fire my weapon twice, which is enough to splat just about anybody. It's still kind of a niche trick because it's slow and easy to escape from, but it expands the uses of the wall quite a lot from team support/escape only to something I can use offensively by myself.

I don't think you need to dedicate a whole set to using the wall necessarily, I notice a big difference after just one Ink Saver (Sub), but I imagine that varies some by weapon.
I don't use Ink Saver (Sub) at all with the .96.  Ink Saver (Main) is always useful since it guzzles ink, and while I haven't played with the buckets in a while the standard Slosher and Sloshing Machine both benefit from it.  As a bonus, the Studio Headphones are favored to roll Special Duration Up which benefits your Kraken on the .96 and Slosher.  The Jungle Hat also gives you Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Saver (Sub) as its preferred subabilities, but with the .96 I find that isn't necessary and that hat is the opposite of fresh.

I generally prefer Ink Recovery to Ink Saver as it benefits both your weapon and its sub, but with the ink hogs Ink Saver (Main) lets you get in more shots while waiting for the delay that keeps you from recovering ink after throwing a Splash Wall.

I pretty mush need help for an idea of my Slosher Deco build.
Because that stuff needs a ton of ink (especially the Splash Wall) i really have trouble using that pretty well combined because u mostly can only use 1 Shot after using Splash Wall. Thats why i am thinking of an Ink Saver-Build. The question just is: Which way is the best?
It's only either 3 Ink Saver (Main) as primary and 9 Ink Saver (Sub) as Secondary or 3 Ink Saver (Sub) as Primary and 9 Ink Saver (Main) as Secondary. Which way is actually more efficient for Slosher Deco?
I actually run of many times to that problem that i can't splat someone because i run out pretty fast of Ink after using the Splash Wall on a full Ink Tank and i pretty want to fix that out in thatw ay that Main and Sub using less Ink to get more use of Splash Wall for taking down opponents in thight places. Without that i really have a problem really fast.
You're over specializing.  Diminishing returns kicks in hard when you stack that much (mainly on the mains) and about the only weapon where people go nuts with stacking one stat that hard is the E-Liter...the other exceptions being the freaks who go nuts with either Defense Up or Run/Swim Speed (especially Splatlings).

If you aren't tied to Ink Resistance Mawcasins will give you Ink Recovery and Ink Saver (Main), otherwise Strapping Reds will give you Ink Resistance and Ink Saver (Main).  Studio Headphones give Ink Saver (Main) and Special Duration Up.  1 main and 3 subs is pretty much the sweet spot for getting the most out of your gear.

The shirt is up to you...I'd probably go with Squidstar Waistcoat for Cold Blooded and Swim Speed Up (the latter always helps, and it benefits your Kraken...a lot of players run at least three Swim Speed Up subs from Red Hi-Tops), and an enemy getting the jump on you is really bad with the bucket.

While not optimal, give the general loadout a shot with a test setup of Ink Saver (Main), Swim Speed Up, and either Ink Recovery or Ink Saver (Main) on any three pieces of gear you have and see how it feels.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #779 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »
I don't use Ink Saver (Sub) at all with the .96.  Ink Saver (Main) is always useful since it guzzles ink, and while I haven't played with the buckets in a while the standard Slosher and Sloshing Machine both benefit from it.  As a bonus, the Studio Headphones are favored to roll Special Duration Up which benefits your Kraken on the .96 and Slosher.  The Jungle Hat also gives you Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Saver (Sub) as its preferred subabilities, but with the .96 I find that isn't necessary and that hat is the opposite of fresh.

I generally prefer Ink Recovery to Ink Saver as it benefits both your weapon and its sub, but with the ink hogs Ink Saver (Main) lets you get in more shots while waiting for the delay that keeps you from recovering ink after throwing a Splash Wall.

I could be completely wrong about this and I don't have numbers to back it up, but isn't it the case that Ink Saver (Sub) is more efficient than Ink Saver (Main) to offset the fact that it's usable less often? It's certainly always felt that way, but that could be expectations and carelessness on my part.

And besides that I'm rarely going to have access to the most optimal gear because I'm one of those douchebags who insists on wearing a coordinated outfit of nice clothes at all times. I do have a Ranked outfit that's considerably less stupid than my normal outfit, but I just can't bring myself to wear a mismatched set of ugly equipment. :V