Author Topic: ZUN announces PS4 version of Touhou 14.5 ULiL  (Read 210281 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN announces PS4 version of Touhou 14.5 ULiL
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2016, 01:25:28 AM »
I think for Touhou, ultimately it's the larger-than-life things going on in ZUN's head that are "offensive". To most spectators, the resulting story will always be the same Touhou shenanigans, only maybe slightly more experimental this time.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2016, 01:34:28 AM »
The result "should not be an ordinary game. It may offend everyone. It may even offend Sony."

[matsuri]*snip*

what the fuck, dude. get outta here with that shit. [/matsuri]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:23:49 AM by Matsuri »
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Drake

« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2016, 04:26:38 AM »
Reisen's theme will be arranged by Beat Mario (apparently Beat Mario actually announced this in his own stream last week?).
Hey, so he got to do it after all, after declining the call on the initial release. Good on him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:28:15 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2016, 05:22:45 AM »
"Uni Akiyama and ZUN said what they are doing for the PS4 version is far more than simply adding one character or one scenario. It requires them to add lots of new music."

Hope this is an indicator for more characters!

« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2016, 05:23:16 AM »
Probably not.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2016, 05:46:11 AM »
How did Touhou 15 changed her?  I looked up her endings and don't really see how she's changed...

Probably not.
How so?

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »
Seeing how everything seems centered around Reisen with literally no sign of another character, i doubt there will be another playable one. At most i'd expect something like the oonamazu.

Just to know, how many characters were shown when Hisoutensoku was announced?

« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
Last time he said something about offending people, it was in reference to a couple of Forbidden Scrollery chapters that were ultimately a satire of twitter and internet culture. Perhaps a scathing satire, sort of, but that's the sort of thing ZUN is probably thinking about, rather than graphic violence or anything plot related.

« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »
The result "should not be an ordinary game. It may offend everyone. It may even offend Sony."

... Oh boy... Zun's going down this path, is he...

Dose anybody remember a year or so ago when Hideo Kojima was developing Metal Gear Solid 5 and he gave a huge bit of detail about Quiet (the sniper deprived of her clothes) and said that "you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds"? A pretty bold claim to make at the time that got people really speculating and guessing about what would be so special about this new character.

When the game was released, we found out it was all simply "Lol guys, she breathes through her skin!". Everybody thought it was stupid. Everybody was not ashamed of their words or deeds. Everybody was disappointed in the end.

The moral of this story: Don't let developers excite you too much about a characters new direction or design. You will ultimately be left disappointed each and every time. Yes, I know ZUN is nothing like Kojima but I am using Kojima as an example of how developers talk about something great or epic happening in their next new project and then intimately people don't think the reveal is as good as originally said before release.

Sorry ZUN, but you don't have any track record of having your Touhou project being offensive, shocking or emotionally dividing. I am skeptical in your ability to make a move in this direction, especially when you have specialized in heart warming, light hearted games for appropriately 15 to 20 years. Nothing in the Touhou series has ever rocked the foundation or been a real game changer in the overall series of things except for new characters being added into the lore. I am not saying that he cant pull it off (I hope he douse), but what I am saying is that your claim about the new addition being "offensive to everybody" just makes me not hold my breath over it and I say to myself "sure, we'll see". I'll decide for myself when it's released if it's offensive or not (I doubt it).

InB4 Reisen fights the giant mechanical spider... I mean, nobody fought it in LoLK and something like that just demands it be fought!  :derp:

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
Seeing how everything seems centered around Reisen with literally no sign of another character, i doubt there will be another playable one. At most i'd expect something like the oonamazu.

Just to know, how many characters were shown when Hisoutensoku was announced?
Perhaps she's the only new character with a story mode.  Of the five new additions in 12.3, only three of them have story modes.

ZUN says there will be several new soundtracks, and I don't think new cutscenes need a lot of new ones, so it likely refers to character themes, unless he means old characters getting new themes...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:08:02 PM by game2011 »

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »
Well, there *is* one thing that we know is a part of the canon since the very beginning and wouldn't be out of place at all despite being extremely disturbing - namely, a youkai eating a human on-screen.
We don't even know how they do it - the closest we get are those images from HM intro that would suggest that human eating is indeed physical and pretty messy to boot.

Alas, I can't for the life of me see ZUN pulling that out - not in the context of Reisen. The worst thing tangentally related to her backstory is Eirin killing the moon messengers, I suppose.

« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »
Sorry ZUN, but you don't have any track record of having your Touhou project being offensive, shocking or emotionally dividing. I am skeptical in your ability to make a move in this direction, especially when you have specialized in heart warming, light hearted games for appropriately 15 to 20 years. Nothing in the Touhou series has ever rocked the foundation or been a real game changer in the overall series of things except for new characters being added into the lore. I am not saying that he cant pull it off (I hope he douse), but what I am saying is that your claim about the new addition being "offensive to everybody" just makes me not hold my breath over it and I say to myself "sure, we'll see". I'll decide for myself when it's released if it's offensive or not (I doubt it).

People really freaked out over Reimu openly exterminating a humanoid youkai in Forbidden Scrollery 25, even though that's been an explicit part of the setting forever. I'm not sure ZUN meant for that to happen, but things have been shocking in Touhou before.

« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2016, 05:44:54 PM »
Mayhaps he's just being ironic and it will all be a Catfish-esque scenario akin to 12.3?

This is exactly what I'm expecting.

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2016, 05:07:46 AM »
Perhaps he's just being ironic and it will all be a Catfish-esque scenario akin to 12.3?

I hope that's it, because the giant catfish fight with Mei Ling in 12.3 was bloody awesome and funny as hell. I remember laughing out loud when I saw it for the first time and wasn't expecting it.

Something like that also leads itself to TasFro saying that they were going to use new graphics capabilities that wasn't possible before in the PC version. It fits well with this.

Again, InB4 giant mechanical spider fight  :derp:

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »

Again, InB4 giant mechanical spider fight  :derp:

Actually, nobody commented on what happened to the spider-probe that was killing off the environment.

What if it becomes yet another tsukumogami?

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »
I doubt it, i read somewhere that modern objects can't become tsukumogami, and normally they need 100 years to become like that. The exceptions in DDC were created by the miracle mallet, but the spider wasn't on earth when Shimmy caused the incident.
My guess is that they took that thing back to the Moon after Hecatia released the lunarians from her trap and they got back to the Lunar Capital, since it was no longer necessary to keep it active in Gensokyo.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
I doubt it, i read somewhere that modern objects can't become tsukumogami, and normally they need 100 years to become like that. The exceptions in DDC were created by the miracle mallet, but the spider wasn't on earth when Shimmy caused the incident.

That's how it works in most Japanese legends, though that doesn't necessarily mean the same applies here.
But in any-case, I don't see why would they leave the rover there in the first place, its likely back on the moon.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
My guess is that they took that thing back to the Moon after Hecatia released the lunarians from her trap and they got back to the Lunar Capital

Your guess...

My guess is that ZUN forgot to resolve that plot point when he was developing LoLK so we all have to guess with uncertainty as to what became of it. We are searching for finality on a plot thread that was not finalized. I mean, was it so hard to have the fate of the giant mechanical spider shown in one of the many character endings that game has?

ZUN will probably give an answer to that question in one of his written works or maybe the remains of the wrecked spider will be in a new fighting game stage in the future.

Well hey, so many other things in Touhou have yet to be explained properly so we should just add the mechanical spider to the "to do" pile under the explanation of how Maribel and Yukari are related.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
Actually, nobody commented on what happened to the spider-probe that was killing off the environment.

What if it becomes yet another tsukumogami?
Better yet, the robot spider has an alternate form that is a humanoid girl!

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2016, 05:06:38 PM »

Hm, looking better, Seiran tells Sanae that the mech. spider was returning "to the base".

« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2016, 08:54:01 AM »
Better yet, the robot spider has an alternate form that is a humanoid girl!

Touhou should definitely have an android girl in the roster ala Multi from ToHeart. Still, her other form would be a spider bot? Spiders are icky! If Persona 3 could make Aigis work in their story then ZUN can definitely pull it off in a campy way.  :derp:

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
Touhou should definitely have an android girl in the roster ala Multi from ToHeart. Still, her other form would be a spider bot? Spiders are icky! If Persona 3 could make Aigis work in their story then ZUN can definitely pull it off in a campy way.  :derp:
Well, there IS a robot girl in Touhou, whether or not you'll ever see her do anything is a different story.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »
Ran is already a computer.

« Reply #233 on: June 07, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »
Well hey, so many other things in Touhou have yet to be explained properly so we should just add the mechanical spider to the "to do" pile under the explanation of how Maribel and Yukari are related.

ZUN already explained that as much as he wants to explain.  Someone directly asked him the question, and he answered "Lafcadio Hearn."  Again, this was after someone asked him the question specifically to his face.

A more unanswered question which ZUN promised he would answer then never got around to would be Sakuya's origins.

Alicirno

• Seer of Heart
  • Paruparuparu
« Reply #234 on: June 07, 2016, 07:20:47 AM »
A more unanswered question which ZUN promised he would answer then never got around to would be Sakuya's origins.

she's time gal

case closed

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2016, 01:43:40 AM »
Really hoping all the new add-ons/DLC/whatever they are come to PC.  :ohdear: If not, I'm a bit worried it could split the touhou community in two, but I'm still really excited to see how this expands the community overall. More users is always a good thing! :D

« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2016, 02:10:30 AM »
Sorry if this has already been answered, but do we have a release date? I thought it was today, but I think I misunderstood.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
I have been looking everywhere for a release date and found absolutely no information on the subject.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2016, 08:42:31 PM »
A Reisen full artwork as shown in Strange Creator's second issue.

I think it hasn't been show anywhere so I decided to took a photo myself.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
A Reisen full artwork as shown in Strange Creator's second issue.

I think it hasn't been show anywhere so I decided to took a photo myself.
That's a big gun. And a big fluffy tail.

The preview on niconico seiga also has the illustration, as well as a big portion of the interview.