Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 150658 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2016, 04:47:14 PM »
Conventional wisdom says Killing Wave is just worse than a board wipe since your opponent will never choose the worse option barring hidden information, so a reliable spell that will always do what you want it to do is better.

The catch obviously is that you can selectively save your own stuff with your huge life total, but I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff. Certaiy worth a shot though, I'd be interested to hear how it performs.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
I think of it this way-- if I was playing white/black I'd be honestly playing more forcefully on the lifegain side of things, probably making it more of a MartyrProc deck than Soul Sisters, because I would be wanting mass lifegain over slow, sustained lifegain. That way I can abuse things like Vizkopa Guildmage with Martyr or using Dazzling Reflection on my own pumped up Ajani's Pridemate so I gain a ton of life and they lose a ton of life, and I could effectively use the new SOI one-drop 5-lifegain instant as a burn spell. I'd have to probably toss some Sanguine Bond in the deck as well to really manipulate that factor, though. I just think it would be hilarious to kill my opponent not by attacking, but by healing myself.

(of course, I guess I could also do the lame infinite combo with Kitchen Finks too-- just instead of running Melira, who would technically be superior for being infect-proof, I'd be running Anafenza instead.)

(who knows though, maybe running Abzan Sisters might be pretty interesting!)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:18:15 PM by Matsuri »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2016, 05:24:12 PM »
Meanwhile, I just ordered the last few pieces I needed for the deck because none of the LGSs here had them (or cost way too much):

2x Windbrisk Heights (FTV edition! Shiny~)
2x Path to Exile (foil FNM promos, costing less than the normal ones)
2x Rest in Peace
3x Stony Silence

And once those get here, the deck will finally be "done". Until I start playing with multi-color approaches.

Meanwhile, there's a Spike-type (he even prefers to be called Spike) at the LGS I go to most that has been building a Soul Sisters deck too, and he insists that Flagstones of Trokair is essential to the deck and I just don't see it. Like, I get it-- kill it off with Ghost Quarter and you can thin your deck out by grabbing another Plains. But it seems so utterly pointless-- you're wasting a Flagstones AND a Ghost Quarter to get one Plains card-- trading 2 mana for one! That makes no sense to me, especially since he's running mono-white. I could understand running it if you were grabbing some dual lands, but... no, it's such a waste. Especially if you're running Aven Mindcensor to ruin opponent lands with the Ghost Quarters-- a legit strategy, but you're fucking yourself over with that!

I think Windbrisk Heights is far better-- and I daresay one of the best cards in the deck. It's great because it lets you not only thin your deck out by putting a card under it, but there's three cards in the deck that are extremely good hidden under it-- Honor of the Pure allows you to attack with weak cards and have them block with weak cards, and then you ambush them with +1/+1s. Spectral Procession gets to be cast for one mana cheaper at instant speed with it, which gives a life boost when Sisters out and a huge stat boost to Ajani's Pridemate if he's out. Or if it's that last push you need to take your Serra Ascendant from 1/1 to 6/6 with flying. And finally Archangel of Thune (which he swears is a bad card for the deck) is the ultimate bomb, especially if you have multiple sisters out.

The lattermost is a great powerplay, especially if the opponent knows you have Thunes in the deck. You can swing in with everything and one of three things will happen: A) they let the attack through thinking you're bluffing and you actually are, and you deal damage to them, B) Swing with everything, they let it through, calling your bluff, and you actually do have Thune and toss her out, and suddenly everything has multiple +1/+1 counters EACH and you crush them, or C), they block the Sisters and lose their creatures to the buff everything gets when Thune comes out.

And that, to me, is much more valuable than some severely overpriced Legendary Lands that are less useful than fetch lands. There's not much Soul Sisters has in the realm of removal or control, so Windbrisk Heights at least lets you set up strategic strikes and lets you play mindgames with your opponent, effectively letting you play control with no cost whatsoever.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
I think the point of Flagstones is that you cam thin your deck by just playing another copy of itself, since it's legendary. That's still how the legend rule works, isn't it?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »
You can, but there'd be only four of them-- the odds of that actually working efficiently is severely low in contrast to the severely high cost of Flagstones. Sure, you can toss down a new Flagstones and thin your deck out by one single card, but it won't happen very often, and the benefit is very small. Play Flagstones, and it works like a regular Plains. Play a new one, and you can search for a Plains card (in which the only real legit reason I'd ever consider this is for dual lands), and the old Flagstones is nuked. You literally did very little for the exact same board state you would have had playing two regular old Plains, Ghost Quarter it, and you go from having 2 lands at your disposal to 1. It just doesn't translate to the $25+ cost for each Flagstones. If it was a $1 card, I'd run it for the tiny advantage. But it's just not a good card, unless there's something I'm seriously missing here.

Meanwhile, Windbrisk Heights will *always* thin your deck by a card by essentially letting you scry 4, pick the best of the 4 and set a trap with it, and put the rest on the bottom of your library. Sure, it may backfire occasionally, but the card you hide underneath will almost always be a beneficial card, because the ones you especially want to see are Spectral Procession (4 in deck), Honor of the Pure (4 in deck), or Archangel of Thune (2 in deck). If 10 possibilities aren't enough, then other acceptable cards are Ranger of Eos (I'll be running 3), Aven Mindcensor (2 in deck), Squadron Hawk (4 in deck) or maybe even Ajani's Pridemate (4 in deck).

Spectral Procession gives you three flying creatures and that also means 3 life gained times the number of Sisters on the board-- and that many more +1/+1 counters on Ajani's Pridemate or on EVERYONE if Archangel of Thune is out.
Honor of the Pure is a great bluff that lets you swing in and cast it at instant speed, obliterating weak things that the opponent blocks with.
Archangel of Thune is the best bomb in the deck, as previously mentioned.

Ranger of Eos can be cast for half price with Windbrisk, and you can thin your deck by two choice 1-drop cards with it. Deck-thinning and advantageous, especially if you've got a fairly large hand and fetch Martyr of Sands and Serra Ascendant.
Aven Mindcensor can be flashed in at the end phase for 1 mana less, because that is generally when people fetch their shock lands before their own turn so they can play it without paying 2 life. Throwing Aven Mindcensor out of Windbrisk would have you watch them blow up their fetch land for 1 life, and then be unable to search for the land they want if it's not in their top 4 cards.
Squadron Hawk is another deck-thinning ambush that gives you fuel for Martyr of Sands or at the very least, some fliers you can cast in following turns to use for whatever necessary purposes. That's more life, more damage, more chump blockers, and more power for Ajani's Pridemate if he's out.
Ajani's Pridemate is best as a last resort and you didn't get any of the above. Pridemate is super-vulnerable early game if you don't have Sister support to get him out of bolt/stat reduction removal range. Play him at a later time and he'll be much more likely to survive. And as the Soul Sisters equivalent of a Tarmogoyf, you want him to survive.

Meanwhile, Flagstones lets you rarely thin your deck for a single card for no real hand advantage or board state advantage, and very little card advantage by minuscule thinning. That is far more useful in a multi-color deck or a deck running Landfall stuff.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:01:45 PM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
I'm certainly not trying to make the case that Flagstones is better than a Hideaway land in a deck without dual lands, but that's how it's typically used, or at least it was at one time.

I'm a big fan of Hideaway generally, although the drawback is less in Commander where losing access to one mana for one turn isn't that bad, and you'll probably be playing big stuff so the blowout potential is huge. In that format Mosswort Bridge is by far the best though because the condition is less strict in timing so you can use it as a trap on opponents' turns more easily.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm just trying to understand why he's so hellbent on saying Flagstones is strictly better than Windbrisk in this deck, when I can't really see any actual need for it at all.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #277 on: May 07, 2016, 02:27:14 AM »
FNM was kind of a wash tonight. Kinda wish I had all of my Soul Sisters deck ready so I could test it out.

I did buy a 3-pack of boosters though and got a foil Sigarda though! I've never pulled a foil rare before, much less mythic rare. And she has great potential in a green/white Soul Sisters deck, too! So all around a good night.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2016, 12:56:43 AM »
The rest of my soul sisters pieces (sans Path to Exile) arrived today. Playtested it a little against casual decks and won consistently, but that's no indication of how it works against competitive decks...

« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2016, 03:52:51 PM »
Well, they just announced the next seven months' worth of MtG releases at once.

Summary:
-Fall set will be Kaladesh, which was first teased at in Magic Origins. It will be followed up by a set called Aether Revolt.
-Next Duel Deck set will be Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis
-The next Commander set will be focused on four-color decks, the first time we've seen four-colored cards since the original Ravnica set
-The 2012 Planechase decks will be reprinted as an anthology.
-Intro packs are being phased out in favor of 60-card Planeswalker theme decks. Fat packs will now be called bundles, and contain an additional booster pack to bring the total up to ten per box.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
Pretty awesome! I like how intro packs are being phased out, since there's nothing but bulk and shit rares in them. But planeswalker packs have potential!

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »
Also, I went to one of the farther-away stores today trying to find some Burrenton Forge-Tenders (because fuck red removal spells) and

the ultimate soul sister

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
Yup, I've got a Weiss Schwarz deck in one of those. Very fitting for your deck though. :D

« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2016, 03:28:51 AM »
Yup, I've got a Weiss Schwarz deck in one of those. Very fitting for your deck though. :D

I can guess what box those annoying "take infinite turns" decks go in then :V

Managed to pull Nahiri in my draft last night. Don't have enough cash to build around it in Standard but I feel like it could be a fun addition to a Commander deck, especially a WRG one where I can use that last ability to toss out big creatures out of nowhere.

also pulled another Cryptolith Rite which is good because I think that's going to go into a lot of decks I build from now on

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2016, 04:07:59 AM »
If you are so inclined, I'd mention the possibility of cashing her in. Her price just exploded since she's in a new tourney-winning deck in Standard and now she's worth more than Avacyn is right now.

Meanwhile, I bought a 3-pack today while I was out buying cards for Pauper decks and got mostly junk. Sadness.

« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2016, 04:14:01 AM »
If you are so inclined, I'd mention the possibility of cashing her in. Her price just exploded since she's in a new tourney-winning deck in Standard and now she's worth more than Avacyn is right now.
What I might do is cash it in, then if that deck I want to use it in comes together I'll buy one back after it loses value

Edit: So I traded it in for store credit and used part of what I got for it to draft again. And what to I get from what I open? SORIN. HOW.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:09:48 PM by Throw A Cucco »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »
Sorin is also a good card. I wish I had a way to use him effectively though.

Meanwhile, I went 3-1 at FNM last night and came in 4th of 18. Soul Sisters.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »
I had a really nerdy moment and decided to make a tribute to one of my favorite series ever.

Introducing Cardcaptor Control.

It's a permanent control deck that seems like it'd be really slow at first but once it hits its curve, is very tough to stop. Use Oblivion Ring, Detention Sphere, and Banishing Light to trap and lock down not just creatures, but other permanents, and use Ghostly Prison to keep your opponent from attacking effectively. Use Flickerwisp for flickery shenanigans and Admonition Angel for landfall card capturing. Fiend Hunter and Reflector Mage also serve as useful disruption against creatures. Win condition is simply pinging away with Wisps or Angels while equipped with Ethereal Armor, which will make them very big first strikers with all the capturing you'll be doing.

I'm gonna put it together in XMage and see how it works out.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #288 on: May 23, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
Link seems to be borken.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #289 on: May 23, 2016, 02:03:00 AM »
Oh, right, I had it on private.

Should work fine now.

EDIT: I just timed out a whiny 8-rack player on XMage. Mission. Fucking. Successful.

Cardcaptor Control's bread and butter is permanent hate. Troublesome creatures? Gone. Enchantments causing problems? Not anymore! Artifacts out of control? Only if I say so.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:29:27 AM by Matsuri »

« Reply #290 on: May 24, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »
So they've been starting to announce stuff for Eternal Masters. The contents look solid so far but knowing I probably won't find a pack for less than $20 makes me sad

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #291 on: May 25, 2016, 12:47:31 AM »
Thankfully my favored LGS is going to be getting some boxes. I just hope the greedy rich bastards in my area don't preorder them all so we plebs can't have any.

I'm not so interested in most of the stuff, but I wanna buy some packs for value's sake. If I get some really money cards, I could buy myself some of the pricey staples for decks I use!

« Reply #292 on: May 25, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
Anyone here play Force of Will? I have a few friends who are into it right now and are trying to get me back on the cardboard crack life :V

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #293 on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »
I considered it, but barely anyone plays it around here... or anywhere, apparently. I ended up selling my soul to Magic instead because that's played everywhere.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #294 on: May 25, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »
Nah, Commander and the small amount of Weiss Schwarz and Pokemon I play are enough.  I know we used to have a ton of people playing it around here and now almost all of them have quit,  but I have no idea why.

« Reply #295 on: May 27, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Full reveal for Eternal Masters is up.

I'm both excited for this set and sad I'll probably get to draft it once if at all. On the other hand, as a green player there's a lot of reprints here that make me giddy.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #296 on: May 27, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
As a modern player, it's hard to be enthused, but I'm definitely in for the sake of value and for the pauper reprints.

But if I can get some of those sweet mythics, I may be able to get some value toward cards I need like Bitterblossom and Auriok Champion. (Yes, I scoffed at her before, now I see why she's good.)

I wonder how many people are raging over lack of Tarmogoyf?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #297 on: May 27, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »
Lots of great Commander stuff in there.  Hopefully this makes an actual impact on the value of any of that stuff,  but at the very least it puts more mint copies of Sylvan Library into the wild.

« Reply #298 on: May 27, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »
I wonder how many people are raging over lack of Tarmogoyf?

putting it in a Masters set wouldn't have done anything for the price given the limited print runs and the sheer demand for yhe card, and I can think of more glaring omissions:

-Serum Visions (seriously no common should be $7)
-Lightning Bolt
-anything with Phyrexian mana (so no Gitaxian Probe or Dismember)
-multicolor mana sources

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #299 on: May 27, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see such staple cards omitted.