Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 150650 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:09 PM »
So I've been playing Weiss Schwarz a bit lately. My roommate and I mostly play it with each other, but we ran into a guy at Shuto Con who runs games out of town and he taught us how to fix a few of our metagame mistakes that we had developed from having a weird insular community. Just ordered some cards for my blue/green Kill La Kill deck. It was a couple of copies of some of the key cards short of really quite working, so hopefully this will make it a lot more consistent. A few of the more expensive rares I needed have dropped a bit so finishing it won't cost me too much now.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2016, 11:29:28 PM »
So I've been playing Weiss Schwarz a bit lately. My roommate and I mostly play it with each other, but we ran into a guy at Shuto Con who runs games out of town and he taught us how to fix a few of our metagame mistakes that we had developed from having a weird insular community. Just ordered some cards for my blue/green Kill La Kill deck. It was a couple of copies of some of the key cards short of really quite working, so hopefully this will make it a lot more consistent. A few of the more expensive rares I needed have dropped a bit so finishing it won't cost me too much now.
Speaking of Weiss, my Maki.dek is 90% complete now

EDIT: Also, if you want to play sometimes we should add each other on skype :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:47:38 PM by PX »

« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2016, 12:25:43 AM »
I think it's less of a "don't refer to summer casual products" thing and more that he only cares about evergreen keywords. Same reason he can't grant Wither, Bushido, Renown etc. Would have been pretty weird if he listed a smattering of things that aren't in his set.

As for Myriad, the true horror of it is combined with EtB effects. Swing with an Eternal Witness, Mulldrifter, Acidic Slime, or similar holding a Blade of Selves and basically win on the spot.

The commander deck I was given for my birthday included Thundercloud Shaman, who I successfully equipped the blade onto and swung in a 5man. The realization came to everyone very quickly that anything with 20 or less Toughness they had was instantly evaporated every time I attacked.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2016, 01:11:40 AM »
Speaking of Weiss, my Maki.dek is 90% complete now

EDIT: Also, if you want to play sometimes we should add each other on skype :D

I haven't had Skype installed in years, but I may take you up on that. I always enjoy an opportunity to play with someone new.

The commander deck I was given for my birthday included Thundercloud Shaman, who I successfully equipped the blade onto and swung in a 5man. The realization came to everyone very quickly that anything with 20 or less Toughness they had was instantly evaporated every time I attacked.

Aaaaaah repeatable board wipes ultimate nightmare of Commander aaaaah.

I assume that means they killed it/you promptly then? Fortunately that's a pretty fragile setup, but you only have to do it once to get a huge boost.

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:55 AM »
I assume that means they killed it/you promptly then? Fortunately that's a pretty fragile setup, but you only have to do it once to get a huge boost.

Well due to the repeatable board wipes all their board states were very naked, causing them to all die to repeated Myriad hits. Most of them were also topdecking since they were busy countering each other and let me quietly build up in the corner, since I was new to Commander.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
Yup, I've definitely lost games to brand new players because of stuff like that before. Always embarrassing.

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »
I'm going through reviews of the SOI cards in preparation for prerelease this weekend and I just realized

Cryptolith Rite is going to be hilarious in Commander. Any creature you have becomes a mana source. Combine this with Eldrazi Spawn/Scions and/or Phyrexian Arena and any creature you're willing to kill off becomes 2 mana. Any green deck that relies on a lot of tokens (so most of them) are going ridiculous amounts of mana ridiculously fast.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
I'm actually thinking about throwing my hat into the Standard ring with this new set. Anyone going to prerelease tonight?

And holy shit, I hadn't seen Cryptolith Rite yet. I'm strongly considering running that with my white token deck... I could get the really expensive stuff out much quicker! I have been really considering getting a copy or two of Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite for my modern deck... ahahahahah.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:49:13 PM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »
I've got a prerelease tomorrow and possibly another one Sunday. Nothing tonight though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
Oh, oh, even better-- you know about the Angel of Deliverance release day promo?

I wanna try to get a few of those and put THAT in a token deck. Beautiful.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2016, 04:26:55 AM »
Got my Prerelease pack and came home. Let's see what I got:

Promo Foil: Foreboding Ruins, a red/black dual land
Pack 1 Rare: Game Trail, red/green dual land
Pack 2 Rare: Foreboding Ruins (guys, I don't play red, black or green aaaaaa)
Pack 3 Rare: Markov Dreadknight (I... may need to start playing red and black with this trend...)
Pack 4: Sorin, Grim Nemesis (!!!!!) and Archangel Avacyn (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Pack 5: Fevered Visions
Pack 6: Declaration in Stone

Well, hot damn. I got two of the ones I wanted! Sorin and Avacyn are already worth more than I paid for this whole pack holy fuckin shit

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
whoa did you get the mythic/foil mythic situation on pack 4? At least it was sealed and not draft so you didn't have to pass one.

I don't have the energy for midnight prereleases so I'm going to afternoon ones this weekend

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
So you didn't play in the actual event?

whoa did you get the mythic/foil mythic situation on pack 4? At least it was sealed and not draft so you didn't have to pass one.

I don't have the energy for midnight prereleases so I'm going to afternoon ones this weekend

Flip cards take up their own slot that doesn't overlap with the rare/mythic slot, so you can pull a normal rare and a flip rare pretty easily. Two mythics is still pretty rare, but it's more common than a mythic and a foil mythic by quite a lot.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »

Nah neither were foil, but it would have been fuckin astounding if they were

So you didn't play in the actual event?

Nah, I didn't feel like being out all night, especially cramped in that tiny building with so many people. Standing room only too. I picked up my cards and headed out. It's cool, my shopkeep knew ahead of time I wasn't gonna stay. (Keep in mind my choice lgs is literally just a little mom 'n pop store managed by their son.)

Flip cards take up their own slot that doesn't overlap with the rare/mythic slot, so you can pull a normal rare and a flip rare pretty easily. Two mythics is still pretty rare, but it's more common than a mythic and a foil mythic by quite a lot.

Yeah, there were two flip cards in that pack, Avacyn and a green uncommon I can't remember at the moment.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
Just finished my sealed, and christ, my pulls were horrific. For both value and play. Getting real tired of ending up with sealed decks with zero bombs, a couple of one-of power uncommons, and a bunch of commons. And getting stomped by exactly the same bombs every game. Oh well. I still had fun, it was just kind of frustrating. Not sure what I placed yet, but probably fourth or fifth (the two people who beat me placed first and second, so I've got strong strength of pairing). Might win a couple more packs.

Edit: Placed fifth out of ten, won two more packs. More trash. Blehhh. I was going to go again tomorrow but the idea of pulling another $5 worth of cards for a $20 investment is making me lukewarm on that idea. I might go anyway since my roommate really wants to go to one and he had to work, but I'm not super enthusiastic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:56:37 AM by commandercool »

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
I didn't do too well at my prerelease today. Wound up going 2-3; could have been 1-3-1 if my last opponent wanted to play things out and let things go to time but he decided to concede so he could go grab food with some friends.

I think I went too hard into Investigate and ignored some of the other opportunities in my pool. I had a lot of decent stuff for green-black delirium that I just wound up not using because I didn't think it "fit" what I was trying to do. I didn't find out my ranking because I had to leave and get ready for work immediately after my final match, but I did get two packs from the door prize raffle

Promo rare: Tireless tracker
Pack rares: Welcome to the Fold,  Mindwrack Demon, Wolf of Devil's Breach, Tireless Tracker, Second Harvest, Game Trail
Foils: Tenacity, Ghoulsteed, Dual Shot

Opening the packs I got from the raffle gets me Hanweir Militia Captain, Asylum Visitor, and Invocation of Saint Traft.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:21:59 PM by Throw A Cucco »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2016, 05:35:59 AM »
Invocation of Saint Traft has a ton of potential, especially if you slap that baby on a flier or skulk card. Still kinda wish my copy from blessed vs. cursed of Geist was still standard-allowed, though. I mean, it got reprinted...

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:53 AM »
I made a (very) rough plan for my Standard deck. As much as I resent using Eldrazi, they unfortunately make up a large chunk of its creature base-- but it's all for a good reason, and I hope it runs well once refined.

Here it is-- I have no idea how to lay the mana base out yet, not until I figure out what spells I want to cull down. Advice appreciated.

The overall theme of the deck is the flicker mechanic, and I'm proud to say I came up with the vast majority of this without any help at all-- no netdecks as examples and no framework to model it from, and only card suggestions from my shopkeep pal for making it work.

What I wanted to do was be able to put my shiny new Avacyn card to use, because she has a ton of potential-- but I was wondering, how can I use her to full potential-- and that is to say, how can I use her without nuking my own side of the board? The key lies in flickering. So, if I was to flash her in on my opponent's attack phase as attackers were declared, all of my cards would be indestructible, which preserves my side of the board and allows me to block as I please. And since this deck revolves around Eldrazi Scions as fuel, bait, and chump blockers, I should be able to block a nice amount of things! So, once she's out and the attack phase is over, on end phase, I will sacrifice an Eldrazi Scion. This triggers Avacyn's transform mechanic. So on my upkeep, she will flip, and in response to her flip, I can use Eldrazi Displacer or Essence Flux to quickly flicker her. This way, she comes out as a fresh cast, and all of my board gets indestructible. This will deal 3 damage to my opponent as well as 3 to all of their creatures-- and more likely than not, what isn't killed is likely tapped from their attack, allowing me to go in for a heavy blow. And since Avacyn is freshly cast from there, I can (and will) repeat the process!

And of course, since I only have one of her, I can't rely on always getting her. So I threw in some Eldrazi worth flickering as well. Most importantly, it would be Blight Herder. All I need to do is keep flickering it, and I will keep getting 3 Scions on the board each time I do it, so long as I have Mist Intruder and Benthic Infiltrator constantly ingesting their deck-- not hard, because the former is flying and the latter is unblockable. This is important, because they are fuel for bigger things, and can also let me stall. Conduit of Ruin will let me go in and grab Desolation Twin or Breaker of Armies-- and of course, it's the former I would want in, because Desolation Twin can be flickered as well to keep producing 10/10 tokens. Thought-Knot Seer, as much I think it's annoying and cliche and overused, is also flickerable, which will let me not only keep constant tabs on the opponent's hand, but also eliminate threats. Of course, flickering it means they draw a card, but since it gets re-cast right away, I can quickly dispose of it if needed. This can also be combined with Reflector Mage-- who can also be flickered to utility. Cast it, send a threat back to their hand that they can't recast, and take it away with recasting Thought-Knot Seer.

Flickering is managed well and accessible, via 4 Eldrazi Displacers, 4 Essence Flux (new card, one-drop blue that has a benefit with spirits, but since I have none, meh), and Eerie Interlude, which while more risky and heavy-handed, is much more broad in effect. Imagine pulling back Avacyn, Reflector Mage, Thought-Knot Seer, Blight Herders, and Desolation Twin all at once. It'd be beautiful.

Everything else is kind of up in the air. Since this is essentially a control deck, I filled it with lots of kill and counter spells, including the very useful Ojutai's Command, which will not only counter, but also help with card draw and life boosting in a pinch.

Also, Sorin is in, just because. The deck has his colors after all, may as well pop him in since he's a destructive force on his own, capable of removing tons of threats with his -X -- and since this deck is full of high-CMC creatures, his +1 can be devastating. His ultimate is kind of an "I win" button if I get him in in enough time, but not really necessary in a deck like this. (I will, however, like to splash him in my lifegain deck. Hahaha.)

« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2016, 02:01:56 AM »
Link is giving me a 404.

Eldrazi aren't really much of a problem in Standard as they are in Modern, mostly because there isn't a "cast three creatures for free on turn 1 and win on turn 2" build. Personally, I like Eldrazi Skyspawner in these kinds of blue decks. It doesn't exile stuff, but it gets you a Scion and is another flyer for your opponent to deal with Unfortunately, Desolation Twin doesn't work to get you infinite tokens; the trigger is "when you cast it", not "when it enters the battlefield."

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2016, 02:07:08 AM »
Ah, forgot to turn Private off. You can look now.

And ah, how deceptive. Still, it's a strong threat to throw down and quite easily castable with many scions and Conduit of Ruin's second effect, if it's in place. It makes it cost 8 instead of 10! In fact, I kinda want to put more than 2 in, because they're not SUPER expensive in a deck like this, and if their mana cost reduction stacks, I can throw down lots of stuff super cheap, leaving mana for my counters and kills.

And yeah, Skyspawner's in there too, but mostly as an opener to lead up to Blight Herder. I can't see myself flickering it since I'd be using it for attacking more often than not. I like fliers!

Looking at other potential threats/utilities worth throwing in:
Bane of Bala Ged - fairly low cost for a huge threat
Deepfathom Skulker - not really a threat, but with so many fliers and unblockables, it'd be good for getting some card draw going.
Deciever of Form - Maybe????
Ruin Processor - Lifegain is okay I guess.
Void Winnower - Debilitation is nice-- but even better if I use a lot of even-CMC cards.
Angel of Deliverance - Targeted annihilation flier? Yes please
Reaper of Flight Moonsilver - kind of risky, but a heavy blow if I can dump a bunch of Scions
Angel of Renewal - Also nice for lifegain if I have lots of Scions
Dragonlord Silumgar - Kind of odd, but nice for flickering, especially if they throw down new threats. I'll just steal it!
Linvala, the Preserver - useful emergency flicker effects!
Sphinx of the Final Word - nice counter-blocking! Also flying and hexproof.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:35:49 AM by Matsuri »

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2016, 03:30:53 AM »
4-0 (8-2) the only flight I was able to play due to the store being busy, imgur. Accursed Witch MVP, every game I played it I won, every game the opponent played it they won. Tamiyo's Journal most sideboarded out card, in exchange for a counterspell usually.

Also PX your deck needs more Pile SP please.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2016, 04:19:09 AM »
I'd probably cut Grasp of Darkness; that double color cost is going to make it really difficult to reliably fire off in the early game when you need it.

The big 8-10 mana Eldrazi are really tempting cards to build around, but they work best in a red/green deck where you have things like Explosive Vegetation and Atarka's Command to crank out additional lands. I'd say put your focus on the smaller control effects or squeezing out more value out of your creatures with stuff such as Ruination Guide/Tide Drifter. Whirler Rogue may be another fun blue creature to experiment with flickering.

I think Avacyn works best in a white-black deck with things such as Zulaport Cutthroat where killing your own creatures is a benefit rather than a downside. Avacyn's flip effect blowing up your own creatures just means you drain a bunch of life off your opponent, plus you can proceed to bring the Cutthroats or other drain creatures like Kalastria Healer back using March from the Tomb. White-black is probably positioned to be really good once SoI is out in full and sets rotate next week.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:09 AM »
Oh man, Zulaport Cutthroat has gotta come in-- even if I don't have Avacyn out and about, I can keep flickering Scion makers and nuking them for lifegain and damage.

« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
New banned/restricted list update has been announced, will come into effect on Friday.

Eye of Ugin is banned in Modern, Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek are unbanned.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:59:06 PM by Throw A Cucco »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
Rest in pieces and good riddance.

Now we have to be overwhelmed by people playing Thing in the Ice and Cryptolith Rite! Really hope those get restricted from modern because they are beyond broken as fuck.

« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
I can't really call Thing in the Ice "broken" because even though it's easy to set up it's way easier to get rid of than Thought-Knot Seer or Reality Smasher because it has no way to prevent removal on its own. Of course, people are going to pair it with Spellskite and use the two together but that still gives you a good window to kill or exile Thing before it thaws out.

As for Cryptolith Rite, any deck that would use it to generate ridiculous amounts of mana already has a bunch of other ways to do it like elves, Abundant Growth, and Market Festival.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2016, 06:03:21 PM »
My bigger worry is that you can just plop Thing in the Ice in a storm deck and have him flipped and attacking just a couple turns into the game, especially since storm is so saturated with card draw.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:26 PM »
4-0 (8-2) the only flight I was able to play due to the store being busy, imgur. Accursed Witch MVP, every game I played it I won, every game the opponent played it they won. Tamiyo's Journal most sideboarded out card, in exchange for a counterspell usually.

Also PX your deck needs more Pile SP please.

(?Д`)

( ゚Д゚)<!!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »
Weiss Schwarz chases are great for making rubes pay for my cards for me. I think I'm still in the green by a few bucks from the ones I've sold and replaced with their non-chase versions.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:41:34 AM by commandercool »

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2016, 02:05:49 AM »
Weiss Schwarz chases are great for maling rubes pay for my cards for me. I think I'm still in the green by a few bucks from the ones I've sold and replaced with their non-chase versions.

And English card prices are stupidly inflated for no reason