Author Topic: The MoTK VN Project - I turn your stories into visual novels!  (Read 30670 times)

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
Re: The MoTK VN Project - I turn your stories into visual novels!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41:45 AM »
The former is way more viable to convey in VN format, if only because the choices and routes have practically been prewritten already.

Not exactly. :V

Taking CDO for an example- Most of the times, even if you choose an irregular choice, the story simply wraps around that choice. There are exceptionally few ways to truly mess things up in RPG stories that aren't 'You attack GOD like an idiot, and as such, die.' We really still have to add in the bad choices that lead to unfavorable ends.

Hell, Even taking examples like Barren Path, where we DID choose the 'fail like morons option', the story wrapped to that. (See: Waking up in Kourindou.) The dynamic, amusingly, kills the advantage it'd perceivably have.

That said, it is easy to add 'bad' options by theorizing 'IF you guys did this, this would happen and shit goes down', you could always do the same with static fiction. (See: And the Utsuho never happen)

I do admit it may be easier to see 'Choice' points, though. You also have to figure out what to trim out, what to keep, and what to take as granted. At that, you also may want to spice it up a bit. You also have to deal with the MC now being more than a simple 'mouth' for the players, perhaps, sprucing up a fitting personality.

Arguably, Its even more work, because its missing the real 'Novel' part of Visual Novel.

C'mon Chaore! Give it the go ahead!

The idea is tempting, But being the somewhat selfish man I am, would want to compile the story myself. I'm not sure I'm capable of finding the time. At that, CDO isn't anywhere near the point I'd find something like this fitting. After all, there is a rather long path still ahead of you all.

If I do take on the task, I'll probably wait until I've managed to finish CDO, which looks like it could take quite a while.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:48 AM »
Alright then Chaore. It is your work after all.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 06:40:32 AM »
Just adding my two cents, taking one of the RPGs might be too much anyway if Suikama is only just starting. Those things often span over four threads or something, while fiction is (mostly) much shorter.
So starting with something of reasonable length for the start might indeed be the better idea. It also reduces the amount of resources (especially images, cutins) needed.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »
There's already work turning the Mafia games into VN-like packages.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
There's already work turning the Mafia games into VN-like packages.
Wha-wha-wha-WHAT?

Why haven't we heard about that before?
That sounds...awesome.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »
Because said person is just that awesome and rather modest too. No names until the finished product.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 08:38:01 AM »
Because said person is just that awesome and rather modest too. No names until the finished product.
I'll wait warmly~

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
Upon further reflection, I consider that what sets stories in RPG apart from CYOAs is precisely that the writers write around whatever Bad End the readers want. (Most of the time, anyway.) And more importantly: they don't give their readers free choice to do what they want. Though, the TH-P userbase is generally very good about reasonable write-ins. Hmm. Might not have been the best comparison, but I still think RPG's fondness of interactive fiction would make for a more entertaining reading experience. Not that static fiction would be bad, mind you.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
Upon further reflection, I consider that what sets stories in RPG apart from CYOAs is precisely that the writers write around whatever Bad End the readers want. (Most of the time, anyway.) And more importantly: they don't give their readers free choice to do what they want. Though, the TH-P userbase is generally very good about reasonable write-ins. Hmm. Might not have been the best comparison, but I still think RPG's fondness of interactive fiction would make for a more entertaining reading experience. Not that static fiction would be bad, mind you.

Both styles have potential to be extremely good for VNs, depending on the writer of the script and the execution of the source material. As a connoisseur of VNs both good, bad, and ugly, I can tell which ones can see good success and which ones can't. I can definitely see where your points can fall in, and it's a perfectly valid point. Furthermore, the potential that static fiction has over its interactive counterpart can only be truly tapped if the writer is extremely compelling (not necessarily good in a technical sense). Simple writing can be turned into something amazing if done right. However, this is a trait that I've seen in very little.

More to the point:

Just adding my two cents, taking one of the RPGs might be too much anyway if Suikama is only just starting. Those things often span over four threads or something, while fiction is (mostly) much shorter.
So starting with something of reasonable length for the start might indeed be the better idea. It also reduces the amount of resources (especially images, cutins) needed.

I think this is the course of action that should be taken, personally. VNs are fundamentally simple at first glance, but the inner workings of it can be a lot of hard work. I have a friend around my age who's in a team that's making a VN (I believe it's a yaoi one) and I have no idea on its status yet. I saw a preview of it and it has the music 'n all, despite being far from complete. In about 3 months of work or so, it is probably not even 5% done and there are a shitload of CGs done already.

Hopefully the initial projects are simple and easier to do than some of the more ambitious ones no doubt most other members will have in their heads.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Formless God

Re: I turn your stories into visual novels!
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »
Someone direct Formless God to this thread

I know he's done cutins before V:<

o/

Wait ... why are you probated ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »
I finished outlining a VN. For reader testing, and for fun, it'll be posted first on my blog as a CYOA story. I tested the HTML earlier, and it looks good. I'll post a link when it's complete.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »
o/
\o

Wait ... why are you probated ?
Just for fun :V

Anyways you feeling up for this?

I finished outlining a VN. For reader testing, and for fun, it'll be posted first on my blog as a CYOA story. I tested the HTML earlier, and it looks good. I'll post a link when it's complete.
If you finish soon, then I guess you'll be the first project

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »
First project with a story by Ammy? I highly support that.

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59:54 PM »
I'm wondering if you've got a title for it yet Ammy?

Tengukami

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
The title's usually the last thing I come up with. The CYOA will be up in about a week, so it'll have a title then. From there, I can easily convert the story to script format.

I should take a picture of the outline and post it with key parts pixelized. It looks like a spider on LSD built a web.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »
I should take a picture of the outline and post it with key parts pixelized. It looks like a spider on LSD built a web.
fun fun stuff :3

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 12:03:07 AM »
So uh, just to clarify, who here is even legitly interested in this anyways?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:55 AM »
I've been kinda tempted to be a huge jerk and try to make you do this with Patchy Quest, but that'd be making me be a huge jerk.

Also I dun wanna do the legwork.

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
Also I dun wanna do the legwork.
This seems to be everyone's excuse :V

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 12:42:13 AM »
It's the art, especially with permissions, that's the real problem. Throwing together an outline wouldn't be too difficult (if still time-consuming) but getting a good art set is difficult.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
It's the art, especially with permissions, that's the real problem. Throwing together an outline wouldn't be too difficult (if still time-consuming) but getting a good art set is difficult.
Maybe I should have made this topic in the Art Board then :V

Tengukami

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15:20 AM »
Yeah, still interested. The CYOA piece will be up this week.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »
I want to do this, but I'd only be able to do it over a school break, so you may as well get other projects out of the way before Sweet Dreams.

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »
Yeah, still interested. The CYOA piece will be up this week.
:D

I want to do this, but I'd only be able to do it over a school break, so you may as well get other projects out of the way before Sweet Dreams.
You're not on March Break right now?

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
Maybe I should have made this topic in the Art Board then :V

Sure. Somebody's bound to be interested.

I'd try writing a VN script myself...only I'm too busy atm. Maybe in the summer if you're still doing this.

Good luck~

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 04:29:49 AM »
This looks very interesting... I'd like to team up with someone because I can't write crap.

I can draw by hand, but if it's on the computer... it'll take awhile, unless if I draw on flash-

*Gets jumped by Chen*

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
Not 'till next week, brah. :<
Oh hey look what time it is :V

Sure. Somebody's bound to be interested.

I'd try writing a VN script myself...only I'm too busy atm. Maybe in the summer if you're still doing this.

Good luck~
Yeah I'll still be doing this during the summer so you can get those ideas brewing in your brain untill then :V

Formless God

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 03:15:27 AM »
Anyways you feeling up for this?

Mmm ... I guess that depends on how much work I'll have to do. Cut-ins ?

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:32 AM »
Mmm ... I guess that depends on how much work I'll have to do. Cut-ins ?
Yeah that's pretty much it. Ammy said he'll be done his story soon so we'll know just how many we'll need then.