Author Topic: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread (Week: HSiFS)  (Read 70954 times)

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Official Rate the Shot Types Thread (Week: HSiFS)
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:51 AM »
Because it's a fun idea. I've hosted something like this on Eientei Forums, another Touhou forum, and I want to see if results here would be similar. Plus, it's a nice sort of thing. I hope to see many participants.

Here are the rules and general guidelines:

1. Shot types spanning from EoSD to LoLK (not including PoFV or PC-98 games for now until further notice) will be rated per week.
2. IN will be split into two weeks: The first covering the teams and the second covering the solo shots.
3. Shot types must be rated on a scale of 1 to 10. Intervals of 5 are accepted, anything not by 5 will not be accepted (For example: Good: 5.50/10, Bad: 7.12/10). Once the week is over, all the votes will be tallied up and averaged for each shot.
4. Keep things civil, everyone. This is a thing that's meant to be fun, so let's keep it as such!
5. Make sure your reasoning for the ratings are serious. Each rating should have some detail along with them. I will not accept just number ratings.
6. You are eligible to quote others' ratings if you agree with them.
7. Be sure to not miss out on a shot. So please include MoF!MarisaB, for example.

Scores:
SoEW
ReimuB: 6.33
ReimuC: 6.33
ReimuA: 5.67

LLS
MarisaA: 8.40
ReimuA: 7.00
MarisaB: 6.90
ReimuB: 3.50

MS
Mima: 9.33
Marisa: 8.00
Reimu: 7.83
Yuuka: 3.50

EoSD
ReimuB: 8.00
MarisaA: 7.28
ReimuA: 7.17
MarisaB: 7.11

PCB
ReimuB: 8.40
SakuyaA: 6.90
SakuyaB: 6.90
MarisaA: 6.75
ReimuA: 5.50
MarisaB: 4.60

IN Teams
Border: 8.83
Netherworld: 7.40
Scarlet: 6.50
Magic: 5.50

IN Solos
Yukari: 7.69
Youmu: 6.94
Reimu: 6.69
Remilia: 6.50
Yuyuko: 5.69
Marisa: 5.31
Sakuya: 4.13
Alice: 2.63

MoF
ReimuB: 8.77
ReimuA: 7.69
MarisaC: 7.38
MarisaB: 6.04
MarisaA: 4.58
ReimuC: 4.42

SA
ReimuA: 9.00
MarisaA: 7.54
MarisaB: 7.54
ReimuB: 6.73
ReimuC: 6.42
MarisaC: 4.85

UFO
SanaeB: 9.13
ReimuA: 8.13
ReimuB: 7.46
MarisaA: 7.33
SanaeA: 7.29
MarisaB: 3.75

TD
Reimu: 8.19
Marisa: 7.69
Sanae: 6.94
Youmu: 6.94

DDC
SakuyaA: 9.09
ReimuA: 8.95
MarisaB: 8.45
ReimuB: 7.09
SakuyaB: 5.68
MarisaA: 5.45

LoLK
Sanae: 9.58
Reisen: 9.25
Reimu: 7.75
Marisa: 5.17

HSiFS
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:42:06 AM by ZM »

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread: Week #1: EoSD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »
Week #1 begins with EoSD.

I feel EoSD has pretty good shot balance, with only the Patchy fights being a factor in deciding who's better or who's not.

ReimuA: 7.5/10
I think this shot doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. Sure, she's pretty weak against bosses (they tend to drag out), but she's definitely good for stages. Has one of the easiest Patchy fight, as well. Her bomb is decent.

ReimuB: 9/10
I'm not too fond of this shot (I vastly prefer MarisaA and ReimuA), but she's definitely an amazing one. Her Patchy fight may be tough, but she does wonders throughout the rest of the game. Her shotgun is very strong, which enables her to kill things fast. Her bomb is weak, but it's a pure scoring one that nets her tons of points if used correctly.

MarisaA: 8/10
My favorite shot in this game. Takes things out insanely fast due to the sheer raw power of the missiles. Patchy fight is hellish, sadly, and this shot has no range. Bomb is weak, but combined with her very strong forward focus she can still use it for survival feasibly. Still fun to use.

MarisaB: 8/10
I really hate the illusion laser, but when it's not being dumb, it does nice work with its piercing. Master Spark is excellent for both auto-collecting and bombskipping. Patchy fight is probably the easiest.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:42:45 AM by ZM »

Vex

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »
I'd say
Reimu A: 8/10
 Her stage superiority really makes a difference for higher difficulties, even if her homing isn't that strong it makes most stages a breeze, even if the bosses lasts longer, she has the advantage to be able to focus on dodging instead of dishing out pain. Her bomb is pretty useful and lasts quite a bit, which is also good for surviving.

Reimu B: 6/10
 I know a lot of people like her, a lot, but Reimu B just clashes with my playstyle, she may be awesome for bosses, but for stages not so much. Her bomb while good for score, isn't much use for survival, lasting shorter than the rest and dealing less damage than the rest. My main problem with it is the narrowness of the main shot, which requires me to be on the thick of it all, which might be maneagable in the easy and normal, but in hard and lunatic it becomes quite a hassle to do so.

Marisa A: 7/10
A strong shot, with its main damage dealer a series of missiles that go slower than most of her bullets, but can be used in a tactical way because of that same reason, melts bosses with almost as much efficiency as Reimu B, while not doing bad at stages. Has a bomb that although may not hit everything in screen, hits with enough strength and duration that it's not really a problem.

Marisa B: 7/10
The laser might not be as useful as it is in other games, but still Marisa B doesn't do to bad with damage output, her speed is enough to get you out of trouble same as the other Marisa shot, but just as likely to put you in harm's way as it is to get you out of it. Her bomb is the strongest in the game, and lasts pretty long too, making it very useful for not wanting to deal with stuff like Scarlet Meister.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:50:27 AM by Vex »

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:05:20 AM »
Hmm.
ReimuA: 7/10
Easy Patchy fight, decent vs Stages but bad vs Bosses, has a decent bomb, and all the standard Reimu benefits sans the Reimubox.
Gets the job done and is definitely NOT a bad shot. But if you're good at the stages you're almost certaintly better using another shot-type.

Has good range, has quite good power, score-bomb even if I don't play for score, does decent damage with point-blank bombs and insane shotgun damage. Her bomb is pretty weak otherwise but it doesn't matter that much. Also low speed.
Unfortunately she has the second hardest Patchouli fight.

MarisaA: 7/10
Highest low-screen firepower, but not that much better than ReimuB. Bomb is similar with ReimuB in that it does a lot of damage point-blank but little otherwise. Also has the hardest Patchy fight (Sylphae Horn High Level RIP) and the lowest range. A poor man's ReimuB basically.

MarisaB: 8/10
Master Spark is incredible for survival. The lasers turning off/on is annoying but outside of scoring don't make THAT much of an impact. Easiest Patchy fight too. Also best vs Books.
I'd say the high speed and lasers turning off/on is the only thing that stops this from matching ReimuB in overall power.

And I agree, IMO EoSD has the most balanced shots in the entire series.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:09:54 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:03:07 AM »
I pretty much agree with everyone else. I only play for survival. This is also one of my least played games though so... I'm ignoring Patchy because I don't remember who fights what patterns.

Reimu A: 7.5/10
The shot for stages. Her speed makes it a pain to collect falling items, but it doesn't really matter when you have full power. Her shots kill most enemies before they can fire too many bullets, so you can just sit on the PoC at some points. Her biggest weakness is that bosses take a LOT longer, and it becomes pretty noticeable on Sakuya and Remilia. Her bomb is average in both terms of damage and duration, and is neither a selling point nor should it turn you away.

Reimu B: 7/10
Functionally a hybrid between Reimu A and Marisa A. Her spread type makes her good against stages and great for shotgunning if you can do it, while her needles still do good damage if you can't get near the boss. Her biggest weakness is her speed. In terms of item gathering she has all the problems of Reimu A, but since she lacks homing PoCing is a much bigger risk. Her bomb is a shotgun bomb, which is weak in general but deals okay damage if you're close to the boss when you use it. Still, it's probably the worst bomb in the game. My least favorite shot type.

Marisa A: 8/10
Danmaku is all about power! Marisa A is the strongest type. Reimu B might be stronger when shotgunning, I'm not sure, but Marisa A can consistently deal a ton of damage. Stages are much harder for her than either of the Reimus, but her high speed makes it easier to collect items and bunny hop on the PoC. Combine that with her slow missiles and a little routing, and stages aren't too bad. Of course, her high speed also makes it harder to micrododge, making the later bosses much harder. Her bomb is similar to Reimu B's but slightly longer and slightly stronger. I think she's the most fun to play as, though not really the "best" for survival.

Marisa B: 8.5/10
This is the only shot I can consistently reach Remilia with. In terms of speed she shares most of the same pros and cons as Marisa A. Her lack of slow shots makes her worse in the early stages, and she still doesn't hold a candle to Reimu for stages. But her piercing makes certain parts much easier, especially in stage 4. She deals decent damage. Her best point, however, is her bomb. Master Spark is long and it's powerful, so if you don't mind bombing this alone makes her worth it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:07:04 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »
Ooh, I like this idea. I would agree that EoSD has the most balanced spread of shot types in the game-- shots like ReimuC in SA or MarisaB in UFO puts you at an enormous disadvantage, but no shot type in EoSD is noticeably harder or easier to 1cc with overall.

I'm not a huge fan of homing shot types-- I appreciate that they take out enemies all over the screen, but they're pretty weak against bosses. ReimuA is no exception. Exceedingly useful during stages, but the bosses are the main attraction of the game for me.

Really, the only bad thing I can say about ReimuB is that her bomb isn't super powerful and I wish she was a little bit faster. She has amazingly consistent strength and a ridiculous shotgun, a bomb that lets you take a breather during an intense moment, and good movement speed. Her Patchy fight isn't too bad either. I had no idea she had replaced MarisaB as the new go-to score shot until just recently!

My personal favorite shot type in the game. I love MarisaA's sheer strength and speed, although the range does present a challenge. She does have the hardest Patchy fight by far-- I've accepted that I will never capture Sylphae Horn on Lunatic :V Her bomb is fine. If you're in a position where you can get the full power of the bomb, you probably don't need to bomb in the first place, but eh. And given that Extra is my favorite part of the game, the increased damage definitely helps.

MarisaB: 5/10
Honestly, I despise MarisaB. The inconsistency of the illusion lasers irritates me, and although I appreciate the slightly wider range than MarisaA, the overall lower damage output kills it for me. Master Spark is amazing, though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:16:10 PM by Sen »

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
ReimuA: 7.5 / 10. Despite her relative lack of power, she can hit from anywhere on the screen. You can literally sit at the center during Sakuya's midboss spell and still shoot it down. She also has the easiest Patchy fight. First shot type that I used to 1CC Normal.

ReimuB: 8 / 10.  I think of this shot type as more of a scoring type (being able to collect relatively many bullet cancel items at full value). Nonetheless, a good balance between balance and range.

MarisaA: 7.5 / 10. I tend to like range more than power (helps if you're playing blind), but holy shit. Either of the Marisa shot types are more pleasant to use against bosses (take Meiling's midboss card, for instance).

MarisaB: 6 / 10. The vanishing lasers mess with stalling attacks (if you're here for score), and the bomb, while powerful, restricts movement.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
Great range and spread for stages, but it's so weak. And it goes wonky on Flandre's card where she shoots out minions. The homing shots hit the minions....
Bomb is alright, but it takes a while to start up.

ReimuB: 6/10
Also great range, but a little more focused. Because of my playstyle (homing all the time while I dodge), it's hard for me to get underneath the boss for maximum damage.
Bomb is weak. Too weak.

MarisaA: 6/10
Both Marisa shots just don't go with my playstyle. This one is so powerful, but the bomb is slow to disappear, and it's so narrow.

MarisaB: 6.5/10
I would have rated higher if the lasers didn't pulse. The fact that Master Spark autocollects and lasts forever is worth that extra 0.5 point.

Yeah, EoSD has the most balanced shots out of all of the games.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »
Heh, I'm glad you all like this idea. It's a fun little thing and it's interesting seeing how others view the shots.

Hope to see more peeps!

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 02:59:25 AM »
Great range and spread for stages, but it's so weak. And it goes wonky on Flandre's card where she shoots out minions. The homing shots hit the minions....
Bomb is alright, but it takes a while to start up.

Does it do that on Sakuya's nonspells where she shoots out the familiars? Hmm, must test.

And yes, I do too. I'm curious as to what the others think.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 04:52:46 AM »
Reimu A: 8/10

The homing shots allows it her to cover the whole screen, but it's kinda weak.

Reimu B: 8.5/10

Good range and good damage. Only downside is the bomb, which is just small and weak.

Marisa A: 8.5/10

Extremely powerful both shot and bomb wise. However the range is quite narrow.

Marisa B: 8/10

The lasers will turn on and off, and I'd rather have them on at all times. But her bomb is insanely powerful.

EDIT: should have included something about patchy being different but meh
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:54:52 AM by Lollipop »
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 08:01:13 PM »
Does it do that on Sakuya's nonspells where she shoots out the familiars? Hmm, must test.

And yes, I do too. I'm curious as to what the others think.
Just tested, Sakuya's familiars don't affect ReimuA's homing attacks.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »
Just noticed EoSD is the only game where I've played all the shot types. Hopefully I make it in time for the other games.

ReimuA: 5/10
This shot's homing makes most stage portions easy but its low damage causes boss fights drag on. Spells such as Scarlet Meister and Cranberry trap take forever to end.
Books and those three fairies at the end of stage 4 are a pain to deal with when using this shot type.
Easiest Patchy fight (no Megalith!) and also the least fun Patchy fight (no Megalith...).
Her bomb deals a fair amount of damage but its pretty much luck based for scoring. Meiling's third non is a good example of this.
Plus points for her bomb being able to score on Scarlet Gensokyo.

ReimuB: 9.5/10
Her shotgun deals a huge amount of damage right under bosses so spellcards end faster than with other shots.
Range is wide enough to make it easy to hit bosses when you're dodging at the bottom. Her unfocused speed is not too fast which is perfect for spells like Water Elf.
ReimuB pretty much destroys everything Patchy has except Megalith. All her attacks end in around 8-10 seconds.
Her bomb is short and barely does damage but that makes it great for scoring.

MarisaA: 5.5/10
Would have given this shot type a higher score but ReimuB pretty much does everything better with a few exceptions.
Deals lots of damage at the bottom of the screen which is nice for spells such as Royal Flare and QED. But spells generally take longer to clear when compared with Reimu B.
Pretty hard Patchy fight with Agni Radiance and Megalith being a big problem.
Her bomb is weird scoring wise.  Killing Doll scoring is pretty hard since you have to pray that Sakuya goes in the direction of a star.
I guess she has an easy extra stage. Also the shot has a narrow range.

MarisaB: 7/10
Better range than MarisaA and piercing lasers help clear out stage enemies pretty quickly. Thanks to this she has an easier time against books than the other shot types. Too bad the lasers remain for a while since you can accidentally kill of attacks with it.
Master Spark is great for killing of stage enemies for point items especially on the extra stage. Not sure why it sometimes stops enemies from appearing.
Easy Patchy fight except for Megalith...I see a pattern here.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread: Week #2: PCB
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 12:49:29 AM »
Averages have been calculated and put in the OP. Surprised MarisaB was lower than her A counterpart and ReimuA...

Anywho, PCB time.

ReimuA: 5.5/10
Weak homing and inferior to SakuyaA as a homing shot, but she gains the typical Reimu advantage in this game in having a small hitbox. Also her unfocused speed is nice for grazing. She's not exactly terrible, but she isn't exactly worth using, either. She's pretty mediocre.

Pretty much EoSD!ReimuB. Strong unfocused shotgun, great focused power, and the Reimu benefits. Can unfocused graze for score quite well. Not much more needs to be said.

MarisaA: 8.5/10
My favorite shot in the game for sure. She's just so strong! Gains cherry at insane amounts, too. She's pretty unhandy for survival if you rely too much on bombs, though, since she only has two per life. And she can't really score too hot on higher difficulties due to Marisa having insane unfocused speed. But in the right hands, this shot has high potential.

MarisaB: 4.5/10
Bombs are very strong, but they kill her cherry and she can't bombspam like crazy due to only having two per life. Unfocused shot is terrible and her focused shot is inferior to MarisaA's, though it does have the benefit of piercing (which actually wrecks Yuyuko due to hitting her and the fan). There are better shots to use in this game.

SakuyaA: 6/10
The perfect shot to use for first clears and getting used to the game due to unfocused spread, nice focused homing, and four bombs per life, but really, there are better shots to use as you improve that grant more potential. Her B counterpart, for example, provides a much more satisfying experience.

SakuyaB: 9/10
Strong focused shot with all the knives lined up (which isn't very hard to get used to). Unfocused shot can be awkward to adjust to, but it can do some nice work once you get used to it. Gains cherry like crazy due to her scoring bomb, which is actually not bad for survival since it also bullet clears. Underrated survival shot, amazing scoring shot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:11:01 AM by ZM »

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:27:23 AM »
ReimuA: 5/10
Very high range, decent-ish power, middle ground in terms of bombs. The bomb still has the long activation time as EoSD, and Reimu is SOOOOO SLOOOOWWWW. Compared to Marisa and Sakuya, it's like she's riding a flying turtle.

ReimuB: 6/10
Same range, but a little bit less and more forward focused. If you can shotgun, great, but I'm not that kind of player. The unfocused bomb is really weak, but if you can get the focused bomb on top of the boss, it's a boss killer, but it's rather small. Same problems as ReimuA in terms of speed.

MarisaA: 5.5/10
Super narrow range and super fast with a super fat hitbox. Really powerful, but moves too fast and has no bombs what-so-ever. The bomb is slow moving and weak, too.

MarisaB: 6/10
Same super narrow range as MarisaA. Finally the laser is constant when focused, but it's a literal straight line above Marisa. Focused bomb makes you slow, while unfocused is alright.

SakuyaA: 9.5/10
The perfect shot. Is homing when focused, wide range when unfocused. Focused bomb is great against bosses, while unfocused is great during stages. The fact that the range is not as focused as ReimuA removes 0.5 points from a perfect 10/10.

SakuyaB: 2/10
The only thing this shot has going for it is its power. I don't like it for its weirdness.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 02:19:44 AM »
Wait, you complain about Reimu being slow? :S I always feel like increased focus speed is a huge liability. Slow unfocused is inconvenient for PoC, but... then you also complain Marisa is too fast, but focused she's actually slower than Sakuya.

ReimuA 7/10
It's not as strong, but it's a homing shot, so it's to be expected. There isn't as much range for ReimuB when focused anymore and it's not as pathetically weak (compared to EoSD) so it fares better against needle Reimu. Still, it's probably not worth it, and needle Reimu has better cherry gain for borders; but she's Reimu, and combination of speed, hitbox, and deathbomb timer that gives you can be valuable.

ReimuB 9.5/10
High range when unfocused, strong bomb when focused (albiet you can't be too far away), good cherry gain, and high damage. And it's Reimu. Everything you could ask for, really.

MariA 4.5/10
High damage and awesome cherry gain, but only two bombs is painful, as is the lack of range. I don't recall the bombs being that good either. Marisa in general is hard to use in PCB.
MariB 4/10
Even worse; lower damage and cherry gain. The unfocused bomb does brutal damage when shotgunned which almost saves it, but you only get two...

SakuyaA 6/10
Overrated. It's tempting for beginners with the 100% homing in focus, but the damage is awful and focus speed is worrisomely high. But 4 bombs is also tempting, and they're strong, so it's not entirely a bad shot. IIRC the cherry gain is abysmal too, so Reimu's lower bomb stock isn't so bad in comparison...
SakuyaB 7/10
Powerful and the gimmick is mostly fairly simple to make use of; you're moving left to hit something to the left of you, and your shot moves too to help out. The focus speed is still a problem and your bombs do almost no damage, though, holding this back from being an awesome shot type.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:25:58 AM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 02:49:36 AM »
ReimuA 7/10
You get all the typical Reimu advantages (controllable unfocused speed, small hitbox), but I found that PCB stage enemies tend to have a bit of health to go through and her really weak shots ends up being more disadvantaged than in other games, as she can't kill things fast enough to stop them from spraying bullets over the screen. She does decently for bosses though.

ReimuB 9/10
My favourite shottype of the game. Aside from low unfocused speed she has great points on everything, making her a nicely balanced and easy shot to use.

MarisaA 7/10
She's kind of OK in lower difficulties, and her fast unfocused speed is fairly helpful while her focus speed is still nicely controllable. Two bombs per life is bad though, and the bombs kind of suck too.

MarisaB 5/10
Outclassed by MarisaA in every way except her bombs, which despite being very awesome only comes with two per stock. Oh and her laser hits Yuyu fans for extra damage; not that it matters much.

SakuyaA 6/10
I liked her a lot when I was still a newb struggling to 1cc normal (not that I'm much better at these games now...), where gaps are wide enough that her focused speed and larger hitbox isn't as much of a conern, and the extra power on her homing focused shot (compared to ReimuA anyways) is strong enough to clear stages a lot better. That focused speed catches up for her on higher difficulties though, and her cherry gain is so pathetic that it's impossible to get a decent amount of borders. Her only use is for bombspamming on survival runs... and then even Reimu's way better dodging wlil probably outweigh that.

SakuyaB 6/10
As powerful as she is, I still can't really live with that focused speed. I'm sure ReimuB is about as powerful anyways and she dodges way better. And her bombs are not really useful on survival runs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:16:38 AM by RegalStar »

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:07:40 AM »
Reimu A: 4/10
This shot has changed the least since EoSD. However, that's not a good thing when almost every other EoSD shot type has been buffed. Same strengths and weaknesses as EoSD Reimu A. Her new focus shot isn't strong enough to make a difference, her new focus bomb is hardly any different from the original, and she barely gets any cherry at all. She isn't even the best at stages anymore; SakuyaA is the better homing shot. She isn't bad per se, but other shot types get the job done better so there's never really any reason to use her.

Another one that changed little from EoSD. She basically plays the same way, but this time she has a lot more going for her. She deals a ton of damage when shotgunning and has a wide shot, making stages easier. Her unfocus bomb is good for clearing stages, while her focus is great for killing bosses. Her high cherry gain means she gets a ton of borders, plus a default 3 bombs, plus a smaller hitbox and longer deathbomb window. Her biggest flaw is, once again, her speed, which makes it difficult to collect falling items and PoC. Additionally, since Evil Sealing Circle deals little damage and Duplex Barrier has such a small range, you really need to plan when and where to use her bombs.

Marisa A: 8/10
My personal favorite shot type. She's just fun to play as, though not really the best for survival. It has very few changes from the EoSD shot, but those few changes make a big difference. Magic missile is noticeably stronger than magic napalm and has a wider spread, changing Marisa A from a simple forward focus type into a shot that encourages unfocused gameplay. Her speed and abilities make her good for item collection and PoCing. While she only gets 2 bombs per life and neither bomb is amazing, she gets a TON of cherry giving her more than enough borders to make up for it. Not an easy shot to use, but definitely worth it if you learn to use her.

Marisa B: 3.5/10
Both Master Spark and Non-Directional laser are powerful, useful bombs. The best in the game. However, since Marisa B only gets 2 bombs per life and doesn't get nearly as many borders as her A counterpart, the powerful bomb sort of goes to waste. This is just a bad shot type- you should never use this unless you're looking for a challenge.

Sakuya A: 6.5/10
A decent shot type, especially for beginners. Her focus bomb deals reasonable damage, and her unfocused bomb, while short, is good for clearing stages. Her unfocus shot is wide and fairly strong as a spread type, making it good for clearing stages. Her focus shot is homing, allowing you to focus on dodging instead of staying under the boss. She gets 4 bombs per life, making her great if you're good at deathbombing (or have the autobomb patch on Ultra XD). However, she lacks cherry gain and really lacks shot power, making her a bit sub-par once you know what you're doing.

Sakuya B: 7/10
This is apparently the shot type for scoring, but I don't play for score so I have no opinion on that. As for survival, she's a tricky one. Her shot can cover a lot if the screen and deal a lot of damage. However, you're likely to die trying to get the shot positioned correctly unless you really know how to use her. She deals less damage than Reimu B or Marisa A, but in exchange has a much greater range. Neither of her bombs deal damage, but both are quite long and she gets 4 of them. All around very good but difficult to learn, and not really worth it imo. Also, you have to fight some extra Merlin patterns, and no one likes curvy lasers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:28:50 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 05:40:07 AM »
ReimuA: 5 / 10. The power difference is much more noticeable in PCB than in other games, and spellcards often drag out.
ReimuB: 7 / 10. The needle shot you always loved, but her focused bomb has limited range, so you need to know when to bomb and when to dodge.
MarisaA and B: 5 / 10 because of 2 bombs per life and a mediocre deathbomb window.
SakuyaA: 8.5 / 10. While her range isn't near what ReimuA can do, it's good enough for practical purposes and it's more powerful as well. Also has four bombs per life. The two main disadvantages are the short deathbomb window and the fast focused speed.
SakuyaB: 6.5 / 10. Never used her extensively, so I don't know. Placeholder vote for now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:39:30 PM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »
ReimuA: 5 / 10. The power difference is much more noticeable in PCB than in other games, and spellcards often drag out.
ReimuB: 7 / 10. The needle shot you always loved, but her focused bomb has limited range, so you need to know when to bomb and when to dodge.
MarisaA and B: 5 / 10 because of 2 bombs per life and a mediocre deathbomb window.
SakuyaA: 8.5 / 10. While her range isn't near what ReimuA can do, it's good enough for practical purposes. Also has four bombs per life. The two main disadvantages are the short deathbomb window and the fast focused speed.
SakuyaB: ? / 10. Never used her extensively, so I don't know.

Please be sure to provide a valid rating for SakuyaB before the week ends. .w. Maybe put in a placeholder vote?

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
PCB eh?
Let'sa go.

ReimuA: 3.5/10
The lack of damage is really noticable here, along with the terrible bombs and cherry gain rate. Overall a terrible shot-type, not even the best at stages any more.

Very powerful, decent unfocused damage and high focus damage + strong unfocused shot-gun, decent range, unfocused bomb good for stages while the focused one shreds bosses. Very powerful and easy to use.

MarisaA: 6/10
High power and very high cherry+ rate but neither of her bombs are amazing and she only gets two. Moreover, high speed.

MarisaB: 5/10
High power, but very low cherry+ rate and only two bombs, even if both bombs are very powerful when used right. Also has incredibly low range and low unfocused damage.

SakuyaA: 7.5/10
High power homing, along with 4 powerful focused bombs. Unfocused spread isn't that great but gets the job done. Ultimately a good shot-type.

SakuyaB 7.5/10
High power focused shot plus you can aim it, high cherry+ rate and 4 bombs. While she's the best scoring shot-type by far, the only reason she isn't at ReimuB's level or higher is because her bombs do very low damage.

There's a bigger difference between the weakest and strongest shot-types in PCB, but with the exception of ReimuA nothing crazy. They're still decently balanced, at least compared to some of the later shot-types. I mean, compare Border Team to solo Sakuya or SA ReimuA to MarisaC and the difference is even larger.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:13:52 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
Unlike EoSD, it's obvious which characters have an easier time in the game. I feel like every girl has one shot type that completely outshines the other in pretty much either way.

ReimuA 5/10
She's homing Reimu, exactly what you'd expect; slow and weak, good for raw survival. As someone else stated though, PCB enemies seem to have more HP than other games, so her weakness stands out a lot more compared to other games. Good speed for survival, but very difficult to PoC, especially on higher difficulties. Her bombs are nice for survival, but again, pretty weak. Not a fan.

ReimuB 8/10
I feel like ReimuB is the most balanced shot type in the game. Small hitbox, great range, and great power. She's still slow as shit and can't PoC as much as I would like, but her unfocused bomb helps alleviate that somewhat. Her focused bomb has very littler range, but both her bombs are good for when you're panicking and need a moment to breathe. Probably the best for a straightforward 1cc.

MarisaA 6/10
One of my favorites in the game, and great for lower-level play, but Lunatic stretches her real thin. She's insanely powerful and has an amazing Cherry rate, which almost makes up for only getting two bombs per life, but not quite. Her bombs leave quite a bit to be desired, and her unfocused speed makes her difficult at higher difficulties. Overall, she's really fun to play, but her disadvantages really come out when you're going for pure survival.

MarisaB 4/10
I actually haven't used this shot type in years, so I fired up PCB and did a quick Hard 1cc to refamiliarize myself with her, and I'm just as underwhelmed as I was when I first used it. The slightly-wider range is nowhere near enough to make up for the massive drop in power, and I actually said "are you fucking kidding me" out loud when I saw her focused shot. Non-Directional Laser and Master Spark are incredible bombs, but only getting two bombs per life means you won't get to use them very much, and her lower Cherry rate doesn't give you nearly enough borders to make up for it. It's a buff from EoSD, but barely.

SakuyaA 5/10
Great for survival in that her unfocused shot has insane range, and her focused shot homes in, but it's offset by her fast focus speed and garbage Cherry rate. Getting four bombs per life is nice. I'm not very familiar with SakuyaA, so take my rating with a grain of salt :V

SakuyaB 8/10
I love, love, LOVE SakuyaB! She's got great range, she's aimable, and her focused shot is surprisingly powerful. Her fast focus speed is still a problem on higher difficulties, but I think she's immensely fun to play. Her bombs last for a very long time and clear the entire screen, which is great, but they do jack shit in terms of damage. If it wasn't for that, I'd give her a 9/10.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
I think Exy is the best in every respect, although I guess Leinyan is acceptable if you don't have a solid route. Shotia is way too slow to chain unless you play the black label version but most arcades don't have it. The green ship is balanced poorly for chaining and I think pretty much everyone uses the red ship, so it should go something like this...

1. A-E
2. A-L
3. B-E
4. B-L
5. A-S
6. B-S

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »
I think Exy is the best in every respect, although I guess Leinyan is acceptable if you don't have a solid route. Shotia is way too slow to chain unless you play the black label version but most arcades don't have it. The green ship is balanced poorly for chaining and I think pretty much everyone uses the red ship, so it should go something like this...

1. A-E
2. A-L
3. B-E
4. B-L
5. A-S
6. B-S
...Wrong thread?

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »
Reimu A: 5.5/10

Her homing shots are really weak.

This is the shot type I use most. It's powerful, and not too narrow. The only downside is her bomb, which is still pretty weak.

Marisa A: 9/10

Marisa's speed allows her to PoC quickly, which is pretty good. Her shot s a bit narrow but it's extremely powerful. Her bomb is pretty good too, with a lot of point-blank power.

Marisa B: 6/10

The lasers are so thin, it's hard to hit the enemies with it. But master spark is still awesome as ever.

Sakuya A: 8/10

Sakuya's 4 bombs allow for a lot of bomb spamming, which is nice. Her semi-homing shots do a fair deal of damage as well. And while the bombs aren't amazing, but they're not horrible either.

Sakuya B: 7/10

This direction -type shot is weird for me, to say the least. I tend to have it lock in dumb positions, but that's just my stupidity. The bombs are fine.
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 04:22:18 AM »
This was fun, I don't normally try out all the shot types but I really enjoyed doing it for PCB. I can't really compare it with EoSD as I haven't played that game, but in contrast to what was said, I find the imbalance between the PCB shot types to be really interesting -- each has different strengths and weaknesses, and the balance depends on how much you are playing for score. (As for myself, I always try to score as well as I can, even when I'm just doing a first 1cc.)

ReimuA: 7.5/10
Decent homing type, with the usual counterbalancing weakness of less power, and in this case also less cherry gain. Some sections, particularly in S4, end up more awkward as a result. I rarely use homing types, but she seems okay for what she is.

ReimuB: 9.5/10
Easy to use, powerful, and scores well. The spread is a nice bonus compared to MoF's ReimuB.

Okay, I never played as Marisa before because I don't like her as a character, and now I feel silly. She is easily the most pure fun shot type, with her speed, trailing options, raw power, and impressive cherry gain. One feels that she only gets two bombs as a deliberate balance to stop her being overpowered. Unfortunately, this plus her speed does make her more difficult to use, so I wouldn't play as her very often.

MarisaB: 3/10
She has the Master Spark going for her... and that's it.

SakuyaA: 6/10
Beginner-friendly but much less fun to play than ReimuA. It's nice that you get to choose between spread and homing and that she gets four bombs, but her spread shot is really weak. Complete rubbish for scoring, with low cherry gain and being forced to focus to avoid time-outs.

SakuyaB: 9/10
Now this is more like it. I love Sakuya and I love being able to play as her, especially when she gets an awesome and unique shot like this. Directing the shot is a little tricky but really fun, especially in S3 where she pretty much obliterates the stage. Bombs are a bit awkward (but again, getting four of them is a bonus).

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread: Week #3: IN Teams
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Week #3 was supposed to begin yesterday, but things got in the way. Regardless, votes are tallied and IN's week begins now.

Border Team: 9/10
Comfy homing shot with great damage. Reimu's homing works nicely during stages while Yukari and Ran works wonders against bosses. 

Magic Team: 5.5/10
I personally find enjoyment in using this shot, but they're easily the worst team to use since Alice blows a ton. At least Marisa and Master Spark are neat.

Scarlet Team: 7.5/10
Albeit Sakuya's the weakest of the humans, she still complements well with Remilia. Option placements are fun to use.

Netherworld Team: 9.5/10
Yuyuko's spread dominates stages while Youmu's unfocused shot is powerful. Her bomb is quite useful if you ever need to use it, too. Probably the best for survival.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:02:17 PM by ZM »

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »
Border: 9/10
I just love it. It's pretty much ReimuA in DDC, but better. The huge deathbomb time is amazing, and it's homing. I love homing.

Magic: 5/10
Eh. Usually this is my go-to for farming time, but the range tiny and the speed too high. And Master Spark is really slow as usual, along with Alice's super slow bomb.

Scarlet: 3/10
It's hard to use, and Sakuya's shot is so weak.

Death: 3/10
It's also hard to use, and Yuyuko's shot is so spread for a focus shot.

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:13 PM »
Sweet it's my favorite games turn

Border (Reimu/Yukari) 10/10
Best shot type in the game and one of my personal favorites in the series, powerful and simply to use
Great bombs too

Magic (Marisa/Alice) 7/10
REALLY small spread on the shot, a little tricky to use, and Alice is soooooo slow
I'd have it at a lower rank but Malice cannon is too ridiculous

Scarlet (Sakuya/Remilia) 4/10
I really want to love this team but I'm not a fan of the familiar style at all
Sakuya has some awesome spread for an unfocused shot and Remilia's ability to gun down two spots at once is cool in theory but half the time my familiars just end up sitting on the other side of the screen during later bosses and her shot isn't that strong to begin with

Death (Youmu/Yuyuko) 1/10
This is actually one of my least favorites.......ever
The way Youmu's shot splits in half is just strange for me and Yuyuko's ridiculous spread is just..... strange
I wanna love this one, I really do, but I just can't use this at all
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 12:00:39 AM »
Border Team: 7.5 I guess, they are a fine team, Reimu's homing is quite handy and Yukari's lock-on is even handier in certain cases. Tinier hitbox along with longer deathbomb time is sweet too, but they aren't the best survival shottype in my opinion; neither for scoring. The bombs are rather decent.

Magic Team: 6 the most underrated team, although not according to MoTK apparently. I agree that you'd much rather do a Marisa solo run than to use them as a team, the bug which allows you do use Malice Cannon barely makes up for how bad Alice is at pretty much almost everything. Marisa is amazing at killing familars though, her power is pretty fine and her bomb does a good job too, especially as deathbomb. I like how they have a lower PoC, it simplifies point item collection. Another thing to mention is that Alice has poor DPS and her bomb is the most awful in all of Touhou, in all honesty.

Scarlet Team: 6.5 personally a fine enough team I would say, Sakuya's kind of a bad shot, wide or not.. She can hardly kill familars even. Remilia definitely does make up for it with her pretty great focused shot, she is also the fastest of all the characters in the game. Also the team got a bigger grazebox, allowing them to graze a bit more than other teams can. Another notable thing would be that if you die with bombs in stock with them you will gain one bomb drop to make up for it, quite handy for first 1ccs and definitely can be used for scoring, just not as much as the next team. Remilia's bomb is decent because although the DPS is bad it does allow her to still move really fast, Sakuya's bomb is rather weak.

Netherworld Team: 10 I personally do not get why most people rate this team so low, Yuyuko's spread is very handy on stage sections, Youmu is a one-woman army. Their gauge being so flexible allows them to get PiV and time so easily. Youmu's shot is also amazing in how it can be directed at everything based on your movement. I would argue that solo Youmu is godly for the fact Myon then stays focused, very handy for farming time and thus PiV. Another thing to mention is that both shottypes are essentionally pretty strong, Yuyuko is the widest shot in the game and thus hits pretty much everything that isn't below her. Youmu's very flexible and you can basically move to the weirdest spots for grazing or hitting familars for farming PiV with her. Yuyuko is pretty slow, but Youmu is quite fast. Yuyuko's normal bomb is decent, but her deathbomb is really powerful. Same could be said for Youmu but less powerful and more ranged. The ultimate scoring team of IN, although it is arguably better to go Youmu solo for scoring.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:07:27 AM by Zigzagwolf »
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.