Author Topic: 3DS reviews and impressions  (Read 12274 times)

Re: 3DS reviews and impressions
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
What are the chances of a third party making a replacement battery to fix this problem?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
Probably very high.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's already custom extended battery packs/covers in design stages right now.  All you'd have to do is install a new raised back or hell, even just replace the back cover entirely with a deeper one and use all the extra space for a specially shaped battery.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/nintendo-backs-away-from-3ds-games-that-require-3d-others-may-follow.ars

Can we just call this the Virtual Boy 2 and get it over with?  Nintendo has just admitted outright that the whole point of their handheld is a gimmick they're not even willing to buy into fully.  Watch an updated DSi with the guts of the 3DS without the 3D screen come out in the next few months.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/nintendo-backs-away-from-3ds-games-that-require-3d-others-may-follow.ars

Can we just call this the Virtual Boy 2 and get it over with?  Nintendo has just admitted outright that the whole point of their handheld is a gimmick they're not even willing to buy into fully.  Watch an updated DSi with the guts of the 3DS without the 3D screen come out in the next few months.
Wow. Just brilliant, Nintendo. Funny how they sold their systems based on gimmicks (DS - touchscreen, Wii - motion, 3DS - stereoscopy) and yet they withdrew from them THIS soon.

Though it seems it is shooting itself in the foot here, I also think that it's trying to dissuade third parties from making gimmick-centric shovelware, which affected the DS and plagued the Wii, Kinect, and Move.

A 3D-less 3DS sounds plausible, though, since I think the 3D fad is bound to die within two years. And as for me, well, stereoscopic 3D is easy with a head-mounted display or a large enough (IMAX) screen, but I have difficulty with 3DTVs and smaller, so the 3DS, which tries to sell with 3D in mind, doesn't interest me in that regard.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
Well the reason I see a 3Dless 3DS coming soon is because the hardware isn't "bad" but the screen is horribly taxing on battery life, and the resolution is horrendous on it.

The screen is technically 800x240, but in 3D mode it's rendering 2 400x240 frames.  You'd think shutting off the 3D effect would return the game to a 800x240 res, but in reality it just doubles up the pixels.  It's extremely obvious in 2D mode since all it does is double the pixels when the 3D effect is off.  DS games look awful on it.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
So basically, it's now just becoming a DS with the capabilities of a Gamecube and the running time of a PSP.

Fan-fucking-tastic, Nintendo.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
Full Ars review of the 3DS
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/a-beautiful-screen-a-weak-battery-a-door-to-the-future-ars-reviews-the-nintendo-3ds.ars

Camera is awful, the screen is nice but kind of ugly for DS playing, and of course the battery is still awful.  Charge time is about 3 hours from empty and you'll get just shy of 5 with everything (wifi/3d/etc) off.

I like the new Friend Code/Mii system.  It still uses the dumb numbers, but you can autogenerate QR codes and point the 3DS camera at it and it'll read them.  It sounds kind of silly for people like you and me but remember the 3DS is aimed at kids and something like this would be perfect for them.

The low resolution of the screen really harms purely 3D games (you can see some CRAZY aliasing in the screenshots) but I imagine 2D games will look fine on it.  Pilotwings takes full advantage of the 3D effects and according to the Ars guys the added depth actually makes maneuvering easier.  I still contend the 3D will still end up being nothing more than a gimmick and we'll see far more non 3D games than 3D games.

The biggest issue is how messy and rushed this launch is.  There's no games out that scream MUST BUY, a huge misstep from a company known for legendary launch selections.  NONE of the online components work, there's no store, no wifi connect, no browser, that's all coming "soon".

So if you're really really really interested in the 3DS, warts and all, at least wait until more games come out if you're not interested in online.  Or wait for online if you are.  If you can hold off, definitely wait until the inevitable 3DSLite comes out or an aftermarket extended battery.  The battery life and the lack of software and online components really hampers what is otherwise a servicable upgrade to the aging DS. 

I'm disappointed that it merely catches up to the bar its chief competition, Sony, set with their last generation handheld.  The Nintendo of now isn't the Nintendo that gave us the NES and SNES and N64.  They're not interested in pushing pixels anymore, just pushing margins.  How terrible this launch is combined with how many obvious corners they cut on the hardware itself shows that either Nintendo is desperate, or just interested in the get rich quick of being the first to market. 

That being said, I fully expect great things to come to it.  This is Nintendo and at the very least have the best first party support in the industry.  And given that it's Nintendo, games will come out on it.  I just don't think it's worth it in its current form, and definitely not given the current selection of games and other features available.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:05:11 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »
Yeah, garbage everything aside I can and will forgive all flaws with any system if it has games I want to play.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »
Oh I am definitely sure it will eventually.  I don't regret buying my DS despite it sitting unused most of the time because the times I have used it are fantastic.  But I got mine years after the original hardware launch, and after it had amassed a good selection of games in its repertoire.

I just don't think it's worth getting NOW, which is a shame given how historically good Nintendo's launches have been.  At the very least I'm waiting until an extended battery comes out, if not the 3DS refresh.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
I'm disappointed that it merely catches up to the bar its chief competition, Sony, set with their last generation handheld.  The Nintendo of now isn't the Nintendo that gave us the NES and SNES and N64.  They're not interested in pushing pixels anymore, just pushing margins.  How terrible this launch is combined with how many obvious corners they cut on the hardware itself shows that either Nintendo is desperate, or just interested in the get rich quick of being the first to market. 
Or Nintendo's strategy since the Wii has been not to appease its dedicated base (it tried and failed with NGC), but to broaden access to the non-gamer population, which does not ask for nearly as much graphical horsepower.

That being said, I fully expect great things to come to it.  This is Nintendo and at the very least have the best first party support in the industry.  And given that it's Nintendo, games will come out on it.  I just don't think it's worth it in its current form, and definitely not given the current selection of games and other features available.
Definitely, Nintendo's strength lies in its massive software library and it alone can secure healthy sales of its hardware.

But I do agree that the launch list is lacking and the lack of an established Nintendo IP may hamper sales and momentum.
Bad command or file name

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »
I remember Wi-Fi appearing late on the DS because it was new and revolutionary, but on this? There's no excuse.
Also.

Goddamnit, BEN. Stick to Jad's Youtube will ya.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
Or Nintendo's strategy since the Wii has been not to appease its dedicated base (it tried and failed with NGC), but to broaden access to the non-gamer population, which does not ask for nearly as much graphical horsepower.
Yet they do, as evidenced by the massive sales increases both Sony and MS have enjoyed with their motion systems (at the expense of Wii sales).  Attachment rates on Wii systems are also dismal.

Casuals may not need the latest and greatest shinies, but when your system is clearly outclassed by your competitors it does hurt you.  Really, the only thing the 3DS has going for it over the NGP (and even the PSP) is the 3D effect and dual screens.  NGP will have touch input and a much higher calibur screen than the 3DS ever will.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:25:48 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:13 AM »

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »
Or people will learn to turn the 3D slider to minimum :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 05:41:54 AM »
Then why have 3D in the first place?

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 05:44:52 AM »
I mean as in "right before off"

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 07:19:36 AM »
A guy on another forum I visit said something like "They should just drop the 3D and call it the "S"."

But how do they want to market this version of the console if it's missing the main gimmick?

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
My brother got it today and all I have to say is that it's perfect.
I don't mind the battery life (since I always play while recharging anyways), and I don't mind the slight dizzyness it gives me.

Overall, it's mindblowing  :o
(Dammit can't wait for the good games to be released~)

Cystral Dragon

• [Prince of Nothing]
  • Hey you noticed me!
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »

Haru says hi!
Anyways I really like the AR cards. So much fun to play with!
Well I should've made it Prince of Void.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
Quick, indeed.

Though I wonder if Nintendo will try to curtail these sales and charge a lawsuit over these battery pack makers (see Apple's case against the HyperMac battery). But in that case I wonder what grounds they would sue on (in said case, Apple claimed that the HyperMac used Apple's power connector without a proper license and won on those grounds).
Bad command or file name

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
Nyko isn't a stranger to Nintendo whacking at them for making third-party accessories.  They got into a big fight over Nyko's Wiimote clones.

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
up to 2x the playtime than the stock battery
So instead of 3 hours, it's 6 hours? :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »
So instead of 3 hours, it's 6 hours? :V
Exactly, I'm waiting to see how the life is with the extended battery before sinking into anything.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
Nyko isn't a stranger to Nintendo whacking at them for making third-party accessories.  They got into a big fight over Nyko's Wiimote clones.
Then get them fast before :lawsuit: :ohdear:

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
And then resell them for ludicrously inflated prices :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
And then resell them for ludicrously inflated prices :V
Oh great, it's the HyperMac battery fiasco all over again!  :wat:  :ohdear:
Bad command or file name

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
I'll probably end up picking up a 3DS and said battery Thursday/Friday if it really extends life by a significant amount.

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »

I'll just leave this here  ;)

Cystral Dragon

• [Prince of Nothing]
  • Hey you noticed me!
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 11:47:27 PM »
Medium Soda added to legion of Miis. Has anyone gotten a street pass yet?
Well I should've made it Prince of Void.