Author Topic: Fantasy Crescendo ~ Rumble Dream Ensemble (Touhou Smash Bros.)  (Read 79370 times)

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
Re: Fantasy Crescendo ~ Rumble Dream Ensemble (Touhou Smash Bros.)
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »
In the general case, the difference between spheres and boxes is minimal,  as both are reduced to their bounding boxes then checked for general collision via spatial hashing. Only when their bounding boxes intersect does the difference between the two become an issue, and when that comes to mind, the issue lies more in the dimensionality of the collider representations. Spheres are rotation agnostic: rotate a sphere any which way and it still is geometrically the same. Whereas rotating a box does not always produce the same geometry. The collision check between boxes usually involves a number of geometric calculations involving multiple dot and cross products. Whereas the collision check between spheres is simply a distance check. A lot of people would say that a square root operation is slow. I would say otherwise. If I remember correctly, most hardware architectures have a built in square root instruction, and even then you don't need it since:

Code: [Select]
sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2) < r1 + r2 is the same as dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 < (r1 + r2)^2

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »
Sorry if these questions have been asked before; I kinda skimmed the thread.

1. Savory, sorry immensely for flipping the fuck out at you over PMs during The Last Situation With This Kind Of Project. Everyone's tempers were high, and after a while even I was kind of a ragebucket. I honestly assumed this was a project made out of spite and to ride the hypetrain from the last project, but apparently it's totally legit. So, you have my formal "I fucked up, sorry." That's not a question, but even so, apologies. I'm ready to wave my flag for this one. :)

2. Who's the initial lineup?

3. Any love for the characters who don't get fighters? Will any of them be in?

4. Any danmaku elements, or is this purely a Smasher?

5. Will you expand the cast over time via patches, etc?, or is this a one-off sort of thing of "you get who you get"?

6. What stages are you anticipating? Will you be adding stages over time?

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
Sorry if these questions have been asked before; I kinda skimmed the thread.

No problem, some things have changed since we last talked about them, anyway, and probably should be answered again.

2. Who's the initial lineup?
3. Any love for the characters who don't get fighters? Will any of them be in?
5. Will you expand the cast over time via patches, etc?, or is this a one-off sort of thing of "you get who you get"?
6. What stages are you anticipating? Will you be adding stages over time?

After evaluating how much time it takes to develop this game, we've decided to switch to a rolling release model. The v1.0.0 release, planned before March 2016, unfortunately, doesn't have much: Marisa, Reimu are the only characters, and the Hakurei Shrine and the Forest of Magic are the only stages. HOWEVER, the goal is to then iterate and incrementally add new characters, stages, and features over time. Most of the time we've spent so far has not been on the characters and stages in themselves, but rather building the engine the game runs on. From what I see right now, by the time v1.0.0 is rolled out, the pipeline for adding new content will be very streamlined.

Following Marisa and Reimu, we have Wriggle, Youmu, and Sakuya planned, but all of them (save for Wriggle) hasn't been touched since Marisa and Reimu are our priority tasks right now. There were talks of a Makai and SDM stage, but nothing definitive yet.

4. Any danmaku elements, or is this purely a Smasher?

Is this even a question? What is Touhou without danmaku?  :D

I'm REALLY sorry that this is taking so long. The fact is that none of us are getting paid to make this, and all of us have our own IRL work to deal with. Progress is slow.
Right now, I'm just trying to get us back into a stable build (a lot of stuff broke recently). Once we're there, would you guys want to see some more regularly released test builds? I tell you all now, none of what we currently looks remotely like a full Smash game yet.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2015, 12:07:50 AM »
Is this even a question? What is Touhou without danmaku?  :D

HGoC?

Anyway, nice to hear. Would probably take some time to add other gamemodes, though.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2015, 03:25:56 AM »
Dude it's fine. :) Better to have it done this way than have it explode or be a shitty incomplete game, y'know?

I'M SO GLAD TO HEAR MAKAI MIGHT HAPPEN AS A STAAAAAGE.