Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 150665 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #780 on: September 24, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »
I went 2-1 in the prerelease I went to and placed third with Grixis Pirates. The deck wasn't great, I didn't really have any multiples of anything amazing, my only bomb was Air Elemental, and my only rare was Fell Flagship, but two Run Agrounds gave me enough temp to squeak out wins.

Opened a Carnage Tyrant in my prize packs which is nice. That's my buyin back.

By the way, is there a new foil technique? The foils in this set look pretty great.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #781 on: September 24, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
I went 2-2 at the prerelease, I had to go home afterwards. (It started at midnight, we stopped around 4:30AM when I lost my second game.)
I got a BWR deck, based around vampires and lifelink, with some red burn for the end of the game. A lot of anti-creatures, with three Vanquish against the weak (though I only used two), Walk the Plank, two Pious Interdictions and one Legion's Judgment.
I had no big finisher, unfortunately. Usually, when the opponent had big dinos making tokens, I found myself getting pretty cornered and couldn't come back from it, unless I was getting my 5 vampire tokens. They combo'd pretty well with Dinosaur Stampede.

Overall, a pretty impressive deck compared to my usual stuff.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #782 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:13 AM »
I won my Weiss Schwarz regionals again, going back to New York for Nationals for the 2nd year in a row

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #783 on: October 01, 2017, 02:41:57 AM »
I've been playing my Scorpion God Commander deck a lot lately and it actually kind of plays accidentally very thematically. Because of how Mr. Scorpion works it tends to want to sit there untapped a lot and just pass, leaving up potential punishing cards for anyone who attacks you, and tap out to kill small creatures and draw cards at the last second to stay stocked up on Sudden Spoilings and spot removal. It's a grindy deck that tries to scare opponents out of attacking you so you can look for an opening to finish someone off, and that's weirdly perfectly flavorful despite not being how I necessarily intended to build it.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #784 on: October 20, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slinging-spells-at-the-end-of-the-world/

My latest creation is complete. Taking my commander game to a new level. Can't wait to try and go off on turn 4-5 on Sunday.

(I basically traded in my entire Modern staples collection to fund this.)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #785 on: October 20, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
Do you have a super-competitive Commander group? I'm not saying you shouldn't do that, but I've seen a lot of people locally try to build stuff like that and then be unable to find anyone to play with. Competitive Commander, at least around here, doesn't seem to last long. Although I know it is popular elsewhere.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #786 on: October 20, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
Do you have a super-competitive Commander group? I'm not saying you shouldn't do that, but I've seen a lot of people locally try to build stuff like that and then be unable to find anyone to play with. Competitive Commander, at least around here, doesn't seem to last long. Although I know it is popular elsewhere.

Depends who shows up at the LGS on commander nights. It's honestly not a big deal, because I know when it's okay to hold back. I played with a friend recently and had the card that hoses his entire deck in my opening hand (Rakdos Charm vs. Rhys the Redeemed tokens), but I let him enjoy playing until he went in for the kill. Then I dropped it and killed him in one shot.

Holding back helps eliminate risk of disruption when I'm storming off anyway, since I can durdle for a while until I get Pact of Negation or Force of Will in hand. Or I could just make a point of killing with Doomsday instead of Ad Nauseam into Aetherflux Storm.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #787 on: October 23, 2017, 02:56:54 AM »
I just ordered the parts for a second Pauper deck. Gonna try W/B Pestilence. Honestly the deck looks horrible to me on paper, I don't understand how it survives the early game, but I kind of want to try it and if it ends up being a total flop then the expensive parts (mainly the Chainer's Edicts) are playable in other decks. I think maybe a list that's less all-in than the traditional one and just uses Pestilence as a way to take over games under the right circumstances might do better, but we'll see.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #788 on: October 23, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »
a notice to any yugiers here, Linkuriboh is going to be released here in the US as a shonen jump promo. The annual subscription will cost 25$ (there's also a 5$ discount code available), but considering the card will probably get more expensive than that -- and that you'll also get 3 more cards over the next year -- it'll probably be worth it if you happen to be following the game currently

also twitch is currently doing a marathon of the entire first show if that's something that sounds fun to you
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #789 on: October 27, 2017, 03:33:12 AM »
So I was totally wrong about WB Pestlience in Pauper. It is amazing. Went 3-1 during my first outing with it, only barely losing to the guy who placed first in the third game of the match. With a little fine-tuning of the deck and some more practice I think it's going to be a house. I'm honestly not sure what my bad matchups even are at this point, it's oppressive against all but the most aggressive draws of the fastest creature decks and I'm packing tons of discard in my sideboard to pick apart control and combo decks.

There are few feelings in Magic quite like dropping a Wall of Hope on someone and watching their expression as they read it and try to figure out what on earth you think you're doing.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #791 on: November 09, 2017, 06:50:09 AM »
so i started playing the pokemon tcg online because i wanted a game i could play at home

i regret this decision

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #792 on: November 09, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Trust me it's not worth it.  RNG usually seemed to hate me too when I played for a bit.  Bad enough dealing with it on the few free packs I could get, much less in actual gameplay too where it sometimes felt like it had it out for me
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #793 on: November 09, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
Honestly the online Pokemon TCG is really good. The Pokemon card game itself is sketchy, but it's not unplayable. And the online client is pretty great. If Magic Arena comes out something like a slicker version of Pokemon TCG online then it'll be amazing.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #794 on: November 09, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
I don't peak my head in to the mtg community often, but they seem to be doing a lot of reprints lately and it's gotten the investors kinda antsy. It made me want to ask you guys what you thought about the Reserved List?

I want to play casual Yugioh/mtg, but no one to play with :(

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #795 on: November 09, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
I don't peak my head in to the mtg community often, but they seem to be doing a lot of reprints lately and it's gotten the investors kinda antsy. It made me want to ask you guys what you thought about the Reserved List?
The Reserved List is kind of a bad idea but an idea that the community pushed them into at the time due to the massive backlash over the release of Chronicles. As it is, any cards that are on the Reserved List will probably stay there until WoTC/Hasbro legal can figure out a way to get out of it and nothing new is going on there. If anything I'd like to see some of the investors lose out because their speculation on competitive staples heavily hurts the game by raising the barrier to entry for constructed formats.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #796 on: November 10, 2017, 04:24:14 AM »
The reserve list is only harmful, it does nothing good for players. The only people who want it are stores who profit off of people not being able to play the game.

Wizards seems to badly want to get rid of it, but unfortunately I don't think there's really much precedent to how ignoring it would work legally. It's a weird case and they don't know how much trouble they could get in if they throw it out.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #797 on: November 10, 2017, 06:02:16 AM »
I remember hearing about that list before but I've forgotten it since and so I'm able to enjoy the same reaction I probably had when I heard of it the first time which was, wow that sounds totally silly! Would never work in ygo, but also owing to entirely different contexts and circumstances I'm sure. Really, legal trouble? Because they'd be robbing value from collections or something?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #798 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:48 AM »
Reserved List is completely stupid. Yes, it's cool that having rare cards means they will have monetary value and I'd be pretty mad if I had a collection worth thousands suddenly be worth very little-- but honestly, as I am now, I don't care. I'd rather it be gone so the game is accessible to all.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #799 on: November 10, 2017, 08:38:44 AM »
I remember hearing about that list before but I've forgotten it since and so I'm able to enjoy the same reaction I probably had when I heard of it the first time which was, wow that sounds totally silly! Would never work in ygo, but also owing to entirely different contexts and circumstances I'm sure. Really, legal trouble? Because they'd be robbing value from collections or something?

How is YGO right now anyway? I kinda wanted to get back in to it, but it feels too different. I quit early Zexal. Pendulums sound confusing but niche, but this this Links stuffs is eh to me. I get that they needed to slow the game down, but I don't like how complicated the game seems now. I already find it difficult to explain YGO as it is (harder than mtg honestly.)

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #800 on: November 10, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
YGO makes no fucking sense to me anymore. I liked it more in its early days. Now it looks more like Force of Will to me-- complicated for the sake of being complicated, or at the very least trying way too hard to cram tiny text onto cards.

I think MTG is actually a pretty simple game at it's core, and that's intentional, it's designed to be accessible to newbies. It manages to shine however because it's as complicated as you want it to be. You can keep it simple and play simple 'turn mans sideways, do damage' Magic, or you can play 'intricate, infinitely deep logic web combo deck' magic, and I think that's the coolest part- there's something for everyone, and in most cases at least the cards are legible.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #801 on: November 10, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
this this Links stuffs is eh to me. I get that they needed to slow the game down
there existed a moment in time when I thought that was the intended purpose for links too. You know, slowing down the game. So you'll be delighted to hear that they do not, in fact, slow down the game, the game's still as fast as it was if not even faster somehow. Or at least, it will definitely be, like starting next March or so.

We recently just got out of a one deck format to a more diverse one where that one deck is still the bestish probably but not by an unfair margin (though not so in Japan, it's still Tier 0 hell there, and that's their own goddamn fault, but not that konami cares). One of those now competing decks is a pendulum deck, so it's not as niche as you might imagine. But no, pendulums are the most beginner unfriendly, convoluted ass mechanic we've seen yet.

Yeah all these new stuff is quite different but it's still pretty much the same game, even if the top level stuff has been heading in a direction most of the casual base doesn't quite like (unbreakable turn one boards). If you're only going to play with friends, or even locals (depending on the competitive level), you can still enjoy it in the way that you will, some friend groups don't even play with the new rules as I hear. I do believe though that ygo, at its core, is pretty simple. The mechanics, yeah even you pendulums, the ideas behind them, are simple. What's complicated, even convoluted yes, are the card interactions. But as long as you play with people you know, they won't be getting new decks every day so you'll get familiar with the stuff pretty quickly.

As an additional note, people will be talking about 'hand traps', something else that's relatively new if you abandoned ship during zexal era. They're quick effect disruption cards (negation, destruction) that can be activated from the hand. They're absolutely mandatory right now if you're going to be playing even somewhat competitively (which casual players hate about the current state of the game, though people would generally agree that they're actually pretty fair and balanced, and not the problem), but you won't need them for casual settings. One of the ones is even 70$ right now, but we'll very likely get reprints summer next year, so wait till then depending on what level you want out of the game.

Also konami has been on a huge nostalgia hyper people for the past year or 2, so if there's old stuff that you like, it's probably gotten some new stuff.

YGO makes no fucking sense to me anymore. I liked it more in its early days. Now it looks more like Force of Will to me-- complicated for the sake of being complicated, or at the very least trying way too hard to cram tiny text onto cards.
never played force of will, but as someone who plays this one at least I can tell you it's not trying to be complicated for the sake of being complicated, which I'm sure you don't seriously tend to imply, but I felt it was worth refuting anyway. For the most part. There are definitely cards around that do more stuff than they have any reason to, but those are likely from the #anime and overall are probably fewer than you'd imagine. I do get the point though. Pretty much every card has 2 or 3 effects on it now, and the (~verbose) language of ygo necessitates that each of these are precisely worded to ease understanding.

« Reply #802 on: November 10, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »
Pokemon tcgs problems are:
no mulligans
super strict meta
power creep

e.g. Pokemon Ex era are now almost unplayable due to card text not mentioning "and Gx" on many effects that would now need it.
How is YGO right now anyway? I kinda wanted to get back in to it, but it feels too different. I quit early Zexal. Pendulums sound confusing but niche, but this this Links stuffs is eh to me. I get that they needed to slow the game down, but I don't like how complicated the game seems now. I already find it difficult to explain YGO as it is (harder than mtg honestly.)
Links look like they should add depth.
Pendulums are apparently hell to play against, as it can make that players turn take forever.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #803 on: November 10, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
So, who's ready for Unstable?

I sure am, we're gonna draft it at work.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #804 on: November 10, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
Oh is it out already? I haven't seen much about it. Don't know what's in it.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #805 on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:42 PM »
All packed and ready to go to Weiss Schwarz Nationals in Rochester again. Flight is in 15 hours orz

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #806 on: November 10, 2017, 10:46:56 PM »
Dang! Well, good luck. Watcha playing?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #807 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »
Love Live Sunshine
This is my decklist

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #808 on: November 11, 2017, 01:50:53 AM »
never played force of will, but as someone who plays this one at least I can tell you it's not trying to be complicated for the sake of being complicated, which I'm sure you don't seriously tend to imply, but I felt it was worth refuting anyway. For the most part. There are definitely cards around that do more stuff than they have any reason to, but those are likely from the #anime and overall are probably fewer than you'd imagine. I do get the point though. Pretty much every card has 2 or 3 effects on it now, and the (~verbose) language of ygo necessitates that each of these are precisely worded to ease understanding.

I did say "looks like" :V

I guess I'm just used to Magic's style of keywording as much as possible and stating as much as possible in the simplest terms possible (see also: the tons of old cards that have been errata'd into actually making sense). That, and the fact that YGO cards tend to fit a huge amount of text into a very tiny space, which makes it look more verbose than it actually is.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:52:48 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #809 on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »
I think the tiny text boxes are a huge blow to Yu Gi Oh. It means that for cards that have a million different effects they can't be separated into clauses. It's just one mass of disjointed text and to an outsider to the game they read like fucking nonsense. If you could just divide up the effects they would probably be a lot more palatable. I bet Scarab God would look pretty horrible if instead of

"At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses X life and you scry X, where X is the number of Zombies you control.

2UB: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie.

When The Scarab God dies, return it to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step."

it read

"At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses X life and you scry X, where X is the number of Zombies you control. 2UB: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie. When The Scarab God dies, return it to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step."

and that text was crammed into a postage-stamp-sized box.  :wat: