Author Topic: Touhou Gensoumaroku ~ The Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch  (Read 127770 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Note: This patch is for version 2.11 of the game, in other words the most recent version of Devil of Decline's first expansion, or Festival. It is not compatible with the original game, nor is it compatible with Banquet.
Also, because this seems to be a cause for confusion, patch versions with a letter at the end only include the text files, you'll want the non-lettered version of the patch to get the translated images.

So, I've been essentially waiting around, hoping that at one point in time, someone would get motivated once more when it came to working on the English patch to Devil of Decline. After a few years, the last year or so with pretty much nothing done at all, I decided that I'd try to do something myself after finding the tools made by Mauve to extract and repack the different files the game uses, while looking back at the work that has already been done and seeing if I couldn't try to implement it in some way. It took a good deal of work, but now I'm ready to post my results, in the hopes that maybe someone will jump on board and help out with a more complete gameplay patch.

So I introduce to you all version 0.01 of the Devil of Decline English gameplay patch! First, some screenshots to give a sense of what is and is not included in this.

The loading menu, this and the other image translations courtesy of work done by DennouNeko. I ported what I could of his work over, but since a lot of the images were pre-expansion, I could only port over so much.

Minor image things with the party and synthesis icons.

All item names and gameplay-related descriptions (barring items from the holiday events) are translated, but the flavor text is not translated.

The menu for equipment and shikigami is translated, as well as all skill names and descriptions.

More with that seen here. Sadly the MP Cost and Cooldown message parts are not translated, the reason being that as hard as I tried, I could not figure out how to edit the Global.srb, which is what holds these messages. The tool for that compiled correctly, but it refuses to work.

Since it's text, the choices for where to warp to are translated, but the names of the general areas are images, and I couldn't port over DennouNeko's work on them because they didn't include expansion-related stuff.

Monster names are fully translated, courtesy in this case to a friend of Synnae's (dunno who, Synnae just gave me some files, the monster one was fully done, so I just ported it in, so thank you very much for the help with that!).

As before, skill names are fully translated.

Status effect messages are fully translated, besides the ones that are in the Global.srb file, like the "Last Word Chance" message, etc.

Not seen in these screenshots are translations for the formation descriptions (although as a warning, they do go over the image boundaries, so while they are mostly readable, they sort of carry onto the screen depicting the formation), translation of areas of effect, translation of shikigami passives, and partial translation of what elements you level during a fight. It does not cover the tutorial text, or story text, or anything in the Global.srb file, unfortunately. If I knew how to edit the Global.srb file, I'd do something about that, If anyone has a good knowledge of C++ and wants to help figure out how to get that to work, I'll send you the .cpp file for it and anything else you might need, because it insists on seg faulting.

In any case, the download link for the patch is here.

Installation is pretty simple. Just throw these packages into the packages folder in your Devil of Decline installation. It might be a good idea to backup the original game.pak, img.pak, and img2,pak files, just in case.

One last thing. This is definitely a partial, incomplete, and not 100% polished patch. I literally just finished working on the chr.csv and made this build roughly half an hour ago. Stuff might get cut off, or it might not be 100% accurately translated, and so on. Not to mention there are a lot of images and other text left untranslated, because they're beyond my skills. Pretty much, this is the extent of what I can do alone. Any help to try to get more translated is greatly appreciated. Just let me know, and I'll try getting out any files that need work done on. I'm just glad to have gotten the first step done.

EDIT: Version 0.02, which translates map titles, mostly just an aesthetic thing

EDIT2: Version 0.02a, throw it on top of version 0.02 and watch as some of the Global.srb related messages are magically in English!

EDIT3: Version 0.03, including some more image translations and some minor name fixing for accessories and whatnot

EDIT4: Version 0.04, with more image translations, general translation fixing, and Global.srb related messages

EDIT5: Version 0.05, with title screen translations and more Global.srb stuff. This should take care of most gameplay-related messages not in message_kou.csv

EDIT6: Version 0.05a, which translates the party recruitment messages and has minor skill name fixes. Apply over Version 0.05.

EDIT7: Version 0.05b, which fixes some more skill and item names, and also fixes a typo in the monster shikigami recruitment message. Apply over 0.05 or 0.05a!

EDIT8: Version 0.05c, which adds in the message_kou.csv translations, making most tutorial text and other messages translated. Apply over 0.05, 0.05a, or 0.05b!

EDIT9: Version 0.05d, which fixes some stuff with the message_kou.csv I rushed over and didn't edit.

EDIT10: Version 0.05e, which fixes some text alignment issues and mistranslations. In the shikigami recruitment message, "yin-yang orb" has been changed to "magatama" to go along with a recent translation decision between monhan, Eien Ni Hen, and myself. Apply v0.05 of the patch, then this version if you want images translated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:01:45 AM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

In of itself this is an amazing release because being able to navigate the myriad of skills, spells, and gear in these games with ease is pretty damn important.  Much appreciated for making even this much happen.  I can only offer moral support for your future endeavor though, sorry to say.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:57:03 AM by gtf234 »

I can't believe it, someone try make a DoD english patch. Validon98, thank you so much for it and i hope you will find someone, who help you (unfortunatly, i can't help you due my terrible english). Good luck and thank you again

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
In of itself this is an amazing release because being being able to navigate the myriad of skills, spells, and gear in these games with ease is pretty damn important.  Much appreciated for making even this much happen.  I can only offer moral support for your future endeavor though, sorry to say.

This was basically the point of the patch. Getting at least this much done makes it so that there's no need for wiki hopping or anything in regards to finding out what everything does. And don't worry about it, moral support is still support! :V

I can't believe it, someone try make a DoD english patch. Validon98, thank you so much for it and i hope you will find someone, who help you (unfortunatly, i can't help you due my terrible english). Good luck and thank you again

There have been people who were working on one in the past, and my hope is that posting something like this up will get some of those people working on it again. And once more, no sweat, I'm just glad to have gotten this far.

Sadly the MP Cost and Cooldown message parts are not translated, the reason being that as hard as I tried, I could not figure out how to edit the Global.srb, which is what holds these messages. The tool for that compiled correctly, but it refuses to work.
It does not cover the tutorial text, or story text, or anything in the Global.srb file, unfortunately. If I knew how to edit the Global.srb file, I'd do something about that, If anyone has a good knowledge of C++ and wants to help figure out how to get that to work, I'll send you the .cpp file for it and anything else you might need, because it insists on seg faulting.

I'll give a look at it

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Wow! Is this for real...? :o

I've been waiting for a possibility to play this game since a long time, and now seems like I'll finally be able to.  :)

Thank you really, really much for your efforts, Validon! I'm also glad I could be of assistance somehow, and I'll make sure to thank my one friend for what she did too. :D

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
I'll give a look at it

Check your PMs, I sent you everything associated with the Global.srb stuff. Hopefully you'll be able to figure that out. o.o;

Wow! Is this for real...? :o

I've been waiting for a possibility to play this game since a long time, and now seems like I'll finally be able to.  :)

Thank you really, really much for your efforts, Validon! I'm also glad I could be of assistance somehow, and I'll make sure to thank my one friend for what she did too. :D

Yes, it's for real, and again, thank you for sending over the stuff your friend did! :D

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
Yeah, I've always wanted the project to finish, but they weren't doing anything and then, BAM! a wild Validon appears with such news. Thank you a lot!!

Are shikigamis attacks translated too?
Mwahahahahha!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Yeah, I've always wanted the project to finish, but they weren't doing anything and then, BAM! a wild Validon appears with such news. Thank you a lot!!

Are shikigamis attacks translated too?

Yep! All skills in the game, including weapon skills, shikigami skills, enemy skills, etc. are all translated, along with shikigami passives.

EDIT: Minor preview of something I'm working on for an upcoming minor image-related update:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:06:50 AM by Validon98 »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Alright, minor update is finished. I just went through and translated all of the image-based map titles, barring the one for the header on the map screen (I tried my best with that, but I couldn't clean the image well enough, so I just used what DennouNeko did for that, which is why the font is Segoe Print for that one thing while it's Monotype Corsiva for everything else).

v0.02 I guess?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Thank you for your work bringing/salvaging what was out so far, in addition to everyone who worked on it previously for what we have here.
Not sure if I should ask for cpp file or not. I haven't really looked at c++ code for several years, but I always fancied myself to be pretty good at finding the source of problems, even in languages I don't really know yet. Are there any particular APIs involved in that file? count me out if there's anything like direct3d/opengl for it, I was never very useful at working with those even when I WAS practicing c++

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
There's no API in use, really. The most this uses in addition to standard libraries is zlib, but that's mostly just for the compression-related stuff. In any case, I'll send the stuff over regardless in PM.

I couldn't test in game because I'm on linux right now, but I think I found how to make the program work.

Firstly, the segfault seems to be caused by the program taking the start index at the wrong place in Global.srb. In globalscript.cpp, line 705, replace :
Code: [Select]
info.index_start = 0x14 + (*(unsigned short *)(data + 0x10));with :
info.index_start = 0x14 + (*(unsigned short *)(data + 0x0a));Then, of course, recompile globalscript.cpp.

Secondly, the 1st lint of the CSV file must describe the columns it contains. Add this line at top of your strings.csv file :
address, string

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.

It worked, thank you very much! I'll start working on Global.srb stuff tonight, hopefully I'll be able to get an update for it out within the next day or so, depends on how long it takes me to go through it all. Other than this, all that really remains to be done is finishing up any UI-related images and this'll pretty much be a full gameplay patch.

I think TwilightsCall already translated a part of this file. You should try to contact him about this.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
I do remember him volunteering with stuff in the past, but I don't know if he got anything done. Either way, it'd be a good idea to contact him in case. ^^;

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Incredible. I'd lost all hope! Thanks so much. :D

edit:Actually, and no I don't expect anyone to know how to do this, the Banquet release of Devil of Decline (the same as Weekend for GoS; devs going back and retweaking the game to make it better balanced and more user-friendly with stuff like higher drop rates, you can see what levels shikigami learn moves at, buffing the worse player character's stats some, I think there was a much more friendly shikigami recruit algorithm, etc) had new file encryption that hadn't been cracked, so if someone who's good at that sort of thing wanted to take a whack at it, it's there~ I imagine this patch is most certainly for the just the normal expansion of the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:37:26 PM by Selery »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
You're right on the nose there, this patch is for Matsuri/Festival, NOT Banquet. Banquet's got the same file encryption as Nightmare of Rebellion, Touhou Quest, and Marisa's Kirisame Magic Shop, and mauve's tools don't cover those in the slightest. Anyone who is good with figuring out encryptions, if you want to try, be my guest, but even if someone were to figure it out, I don't have Banquet myself to actually do stuff with. I'd work instead on trying to get something worked out for Nightmare of Rebellion, since I DO have that.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
I don't want to look selfish or spoiled or whatever, but...

Wise fwom your gwave

Touhou Card Monsters ~ Phantasmal Summoners, Strawberry Bose's forgotten game (as forgotten as it can be being a mini-rpg nowhere near the level complexity of GoS, DoD or NoR). Uses .pak, from seeing the thread it has simple encryption, "simple" meaning "not as complex as NoR". If you want to complete the project, it'd be a very nice gesture, but the decision is yours, it is obvious that everybody is more interested in NoR, myself included.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
I actually tried on my own time to do stuff with Phantasmal Summoners, but in the process I got heavily confused as to where to find things in the files, and unfortunately all the progress I made on that has been lost to a hard drive wipe. Honestly, while it would be nice to get a patch for that going too, I would much rather focus my efforts on continuing what I can do with Devil of Decline, and if someone is able to figure out the .tarc files for Nightmare of Rebellion, I'd work on that too.

EDIT: Not to say that wouldn't be something I or anyone can't work on in the future, I would love to see all of Strawberry Bose's games getting an English patch, even the side ones like Phantasmal Summoners, Touhou Quest, and Marisa's Kirisame Magic Shop, but I'd say the main games need translating first. Here's what I'm hoping on, personally:

First, getting the gameplay patch for DoD completely finished. It's mostly done, it's just stuff like the Global.srb and a whole bunch of other text files I haven't even touched, or am plain just unable to translate with the skills I have. After that would be working on a full patch, with story and stuff translated, but that requires having someone like Deranged or TwilightsCall or anyone with better translation skills than me jumping on board and actually taking a look at the story files again.

After that would be essentially hoping and praying someone's able to crack open the .tarc files for Nightmare of Rebellion, and from there I'd do what I did with this patch: work on the files, hope someone with better Photoshop skills than me can take on the image files, and get a gameplay patch out first, followed by a full patch if we can get translators to work on the non-gameplay aspects.

I will say, a lot of this is wishful thinking. Given the history of this patch and not having either consistent image editors or translators, getting something full out is probably a long ways away still. But hey, we've been waiting for years already, what's another one or two, right?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:26:05 PM by Validon98 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Most/all(?) of Reimu's route should actually be translated already if the files haven't been lost to the ether (TheNewGuy tends to show up if he's emailed, based on past experience) but the story routes have a godload of text in them, so I don't expect any of the others translated anytime soon if ever. Getting the rest of the images and the bits of text that aren't story/flavor would be the remaining priorities, probably.

Phantasmal Summoner's patch was entirely completed AS FAR AS I KNOW, based on what I had read it wasn't released due to some quirks that made translations for a few things not work very well, the biggest (only? I wouldn't know) case being the recipe-things from badges on your monsters. That'd be another question for TNG, because at this point if the rest is done it may as well just get released as-is rather than never released at all. (Well, it'd probably need some degree of updating because I believe the game's been updated since the last time they probably had worked on the patch.)

I'd be really interested in NoR, the game looks pretty neato.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:42:02 PM by Selery »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
I actually have all of the story files that Deranged did. I downloaded them all awhile back. Looking at it, it's mostly Reimu's story, with a few side things here and there, but nothing particularly exciting, sooooo... yeaah.

EDIT: Looking at the files again, the translated files are mostly for major cutscenes from the beginning of the game to the final boss fight on Reimu's path only. I can throw them into the next build of the patch I do, if anyone wants them, since they're pretty much all the story we've got translated at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:58:23 PM by Validon98 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Well, that's about what I expected. There's just so much. However, what really matters is that the gameplay portions are completely realistic to finish at this point! :D

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
So, another minor update, this one in regards to Global.srb stuff. Most of the menu related Global.srb stuff is translated (other than for stuff in the inventory screen, but since there's really no use for the inventory screen, I skipped over it, although I can properly add it later on), and everything related to battles is translated too (although "target" had to be shorted to "Trgt" and "Cooldown" to "CD" because of overflow reasons).

One other thing is that I tried to add in the messages for the tutorial battles early on that say stuff like "oh the enemy is regening due to Dark land power" and everything, as well as the "The party was defeated" message. Except both cause a script parsing failure and will crash the game upon finishing a battle or coming to those messages (the log for globalscript.exe even says that the script failed to parse). I don't know why these particular lines are causing the script to fail to parse, but they are, so they are untranslated to avoid any messes with that. I don't know if it's a problem with the global script file, or what, but unless that can get fixed, those lines are going to have to remain untranslated.

Other than that, though, here's a sort of 0.02a. Basically throw it on top of 0.02, since it only contains the game.pak this time around (I'm not reuploading img.pak and img2.pak when they've been unchanged, just download 0.02 and stick this on top of it, it's easier that way, really, especially if you already have v0.02 downloaded).

Download be here, I'll update the OP as well

wow, blast from the past here. was told that my old tools finally saw some use here, glad to see someone finally did it. I remember making them on a lark years ago; didn't really have much interest in the games personally so I just let TheNewGuy do everything. I gather he disappeared?

either way I don't remember anything about it at this point and I've kinda quit the fan tl thing. would not be surprised if the script formats changed a bunch since I last looked at them. Good luck.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Kinda surprised to see you around here (I know you've said a long time back about quitting, which I don't blame you for, I know you've already done a looooooot of work in regards to fan translations, I'd be inconsiderate to ask anything else of you), but you're pretty much on the mark about TheNewGuy having pretty much up and disappeared. The script files... well I don't think they've overly changed since GoS, given both games use the same engine and both use .pak files (while all of the games after Phantasmal Summoners use .tarc). In any case, thanks for the blessing, and of course, thanks for making the tools that made both the GoS patch and this possible... well along with pretty much everything else you've done for various patches in the past. *salutes*

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
oh lol I didn't even look at the cpp file yet cuz as I said int he pm, I'm so slack sorry. That said, this global.cpp issue wasn't what was halting the entire project when multiple people were working on it was it? Does anyone know what the major snag was... or was it that they didn't wanna bother working on it until banquet, and then banquet came out and couldn't be decrypted and such?...

I know absolutely knowing about decrypting myself qq.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Ghaleon:Nah, it was nothing like that. TNG was getting busy IRL, which was perfectly fine, but he ended up basically going MIA forever. He shows up if emailed, sure, but he's still too busy and there was still the bigger issue of not having many (or any at all) translators actually working on the game. TwilightsCall is still kind of working on it AFAIK, but last update said they were very busy and progress was going to be quite slow.

Validon:Is it realistic to make a checklist of non-story/flavor things that need to be translated/worked-on-in-some-fashion still? And I assume it's not realistic to overwrite part of the expansion image files with the translated chunks that you have? Also, in those script failure areas, my (very uneducated) guesses are it's mad that you changed the number of characters in the line or you accidentally removed some syntax.

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
I got your PM Validon, but I figured I'd reply here since there are probably a lot of people curious where I stand after being the last person who volunteered to help with the actual translation...

Unfortunately, my news is not so great.  I was working on the item descriptions, which was basically down to flavor text before I got to it, but work on it basically came to a stop once Matsuri came out, since IIRC that was also around the time that I ended up having a fairly major move and acquiring a full-time job.  That being said, if this is actively getting worked on, I don't mind pitching in to help, but I suspect the flavor text on the items is not exactly a priority for a gameplay patch.

If you have a checklist of things you need translated to help specifically gameplay wise, let me know and I'll take a look at them.  As before, I can't guarantee it'll be done with any speed, but if I can squeeze any discipline out of myself, things are kind of calming down a bit recently, so I should be able to get SOMETHING done.

Anyways, let me know whats up.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Validon:Is it realistic to make a checklist of non-story/flavor things that need to be translated/worked-on-in-some-fashion still? And I assume it's not realistic to overwrite part of the expansion image files with the translated chunks that you have? Also, in those script failure areas, my (very uneducated) guesses are it's mad that you changed the number of characters in the line or you accidentally removed some syntax.

I should be able to make a list some time later tonight. I've been mostly doing a sort of "nightly build" thing where I'm working on a specific set of things, then releasing the results. Tonight I was going to work on some of the shikigami name image that I have the ability to actually do (there's a few images in general that need to be done, but I can't necessarily do them all with my level of Photoshop skills, so I'm going to put together a .zip of files I'm unable to do with my level of skills and then throw them at someone who can). In terms of the script failures, you would think it was something like that, but I was able to replace text elsewhere without too many problems, so I don't know what's the problem here, especially when the line I'm replacing is just the failure message, nothing else.

Anyways, let me know whats up.

Right, in terms of .csv files, most of what isn't done is the message_kou.csv file, which has some of the miscellaneous messages like on the billboards and everything, and the flavor text for items in the item.csv, although those aren't necessarily gameplay important. The thing that I'm having some troubles with myself are the fact that there's two specific messages I haven't been able to find: The "you recruited this shikigami/master" message (which is worrying since it doesn't seem to draw from the name list in the chr.csv file, instead drawing from another list altogether that I don't know where it is), and the messages for getting items like the Hookshot, Barrier Release, etc. Other than that, gameplay-wise there's not much else for the .csv files. Most of what needs to be done is either in the global script file or is something that needs to be image edited. Again, I'll make a fuller list tonight once I have the time to review everything I've got at the moment, and I'll try to throw together a .zip of everything.