Author Topic: 方解夢異聞 ~ Avant-Garde Discerning Paralleler  (Read 5569 times)

方解夢異聞 ~ Avant-Garde Discerning Paralleler
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:58:07 AM »
So I was looking up Pesot.jp/, the person behind the fan music album Treasure Castle Labyrinth and who contributed to the other fan album Heavenly Gathering of Clouds (You should all give them a look if you haven't done so yet!), and found that he/she did the music for another game that doesn't seem to be on youtube anywhere. As the title says, Avant-Garde Discerning Paralleler. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it out at all? And what people think of it. I believe there is info on one of the wikis about it, not much though.

Pesot.jp/ also contributed music to other shmup games not relating to touhou at all, not sure if I should include that here or elsewhere. Let me know where I should and I will!

EDIT: http://www.melonbooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=IT0000170673 Forgot to include the damn link!

EDIT 2: I downloaded the free trial from Melonbooks and it seems to have a lot of stuff. Not sure if I should do any sort of spoiler cover here, that and I can't remember how to do the spoiler thingy. I think I'll go into more detail on the game if and when I buy the full version.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:21:57 AM by BlueDigitalDragon »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Re: 方解夢異聞 ~ Avant-Garde Discerning Paralleler
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
<demo>

It's... interesting.  It has some interesting danmaku ideas, but I'm not convinced it knows where it wants to go with its design.  The music was neither amazing nor offensive.

I get that its draw is primarily the scoring system, but said scoring system isn't that intuitive.  I'm guessing you want to collect the [C] items, and then as many point items as you can simultaneously?  The readme wasn't useful, and I'm guessing that was what made the difference as I kept playing Stage 1 until I hit the Lap 2 threshold.  I guess without knowing how it works, I can't comment much, but if I'm right then it doesn't really look like many of the stages are designed with scoring in mind - especially once Lap 2 rolls around ("Oh hey, you might have been wondering where the bullets were.  They're right here ^___^")

Stage 3's end section really wasn't necessary.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
Pretty cool game, the music is weird but nice in its own way, the scoring system relies on you collecting point items though the bonus is actually going towards the spellcards, there's something more to it but I don't know how it fully works. The overall game is nice outside of the way you have to play each stage one by one instead of the usual setup. Lap 2 seems to jump from Normal ---> Lunatic and there is alot more trial and error than there should be for some parts.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
Oh hey I remember that there was a Youtube video about it a long time ago

Seems interesting how this will work, and I am surprised they updated the plot to include the DDC characters (note Raiko in one of the images in the op link)
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »
<demo>

It's... interesting.  It has some interesting danmaku ideas, but I'm not convinced it knows where it wants to go with its design.  The music was neither amazing nor offensive.

I get that its draw is primarily the scoring system, but said scoring system isn't that intuitive.  I'm guessing you want to collect the [C] items, and then as many point items as you can simultaneously?  The readme wasn't useful, and I'm guessing that was what made the difference as I kept playing Stage 1 until I hit the Lap 2 threshold.  I guess without knowing how it works, I can't comment much, but if I'm right then it doesn't really look like many of the stages are designed with scoring in mind - especially once Lap 2 rolls around ("Oh hey, you might have been wondering where the bullets were.  They're right here ^___^")

Stage 3's end section really wasn't necessary.

Yeah, the idea behind the Connect Item you get from large enemies or fairies is to boost up your Bonus for Spellcards. So in the first stage for The first choice of teams (not sure if I should list names yet) you can collect the 'C' item and then try to collect as many point items as you can before the timer runs out. Your time can be extended by collecting more C Items as far as I know. If you lose a life, your bonus gets reset I believe.

Stage 3 was annoying at first until I figured out that level's specific mechanics. I like the idea of each stage having it's own special thing for it, especially the boss of Stage 3. That idea was cool!

And yeah, I think that the game started off like "Well here's a generic looking easy shmup for you all!" And by the last stages of the demos, it seems that they got a better understanding of what they wanted~

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:20:01 PM »
Tried it a bit. And reached stage 5 with Kyouko/Seiga. I don't even know who's the boss of that stage.
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »
Yeah, the damn Blue Orbs of Homing Death are annoying as hell. I'm still waiting on a paycheck to be able to buy a few shmup games. So maybe I can fill in more info once I get the full version.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:18 PM »
Oh man, I was wondering when/if someone would make a thread for this game. I have a huge soft spot for games that mimic the visual style of the official series, so I loved this one since I first saw it last year. I've played through the whole game (albeit with the help of cheat tools, because it gets seriously hard towards the end) and had a lot of fun with it, so I can elaborate on just about anything regarding it if anyone wants?

• First off, here's the game manual in English: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Avant-Garde_Discerning_Paralleler/Translation/Manual. The scoring system is kind of complicated, and it's absolutely necessary to take advantage of it to unlock the later stages in Lap 2. (In the full version, at least. The demo is a bit more lenient with the score requirements.) The most important thing (in my experience) is grazing to maintain the Connect Bonus up until the boss fight, which will then massively inflate the Spell Card bonuses.
  • A lot of the stage and boss design is experimental. Both the stage portions and bosses are full of gimmick danmaku, especially in the later stages, and scoring high enough to unlock Lap 2 stages basically means wall-to-wall memorization. For me, the creativity of the patterns was a larger draw than the actual challenge of dodging them, so I didn't mind too much, but be aware that there's a LOT of trial and error involved. A LOT. The level design and game progression isn't set up like a regular Touhou game, nor is it intended to be; I think approaching the game with this already in mind should make for a better experience.
  • One of the developers' main goals in making the game was to include something for both amateur and veteran players, which is why the first few stages are intentionally very easy. The later levels on Lap 1 are closer to the Normal/Hard difficulty of an official game; score runs notwithstanding, a casual player should be able to reach the end without too much difficulty. Lap 2 is tailored to hardcore score-runners. (Of course, since I'm not a hardcore score-runner, I can't really say whether or not they succeeded in that regard... but *I* found it interesting, at least?)

The full version of the game is about $8 USD, which (IMO) is really cheap for something that I got so much enjoyment out of. If you've got money to spare and you like either A. visual flair and inventive danmaku, or B. a challenging scoring experience, I'd seriously recommend getting it. (If you're looking for difficult gameplay without heavy memorization, though, you should probably look elsewhere...)

There's also a bonus patch planned for release this very month! It'll include a boss rush mode with unique danmaku and scoring systems, which I'm seriously looking forward to.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:09:50 PM by gilde »

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
I downloaded the demo. It's pretty cool.
I really like
Spoiler:
Nitori's
gimmick. Brilliant idea. Stage was pretty hard though.
I don't get
Spoiler:
Ran's
last spellcard.
Spoiler:
You die when there's too much bullets in that little red circle around you? I don't know.
I'm looking forward to buy full version, but I'm out of money now.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:40 AM »
Oh man, I was wondering when/if someone would make a thread for this game. I have a huge soft spot for games that mimic the visual style of the official series, so I loved this one since I first saw it last year. I've played through the whole game (albeit with the help of cheat tools, because it gets seriously hard towards the end) and had a lot of fun with it, so I can elaborate on just about anything regarding it if anyone wants?

• First off, here's the game manual in English: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Avant-Garde_Discerning_Paralleler/Translation/Manual. The scoring system is kind of complicated, and it's absolutely necessary to take advantage of it to unlock the later stages in Lap 2. (In the full version, at least. The demo is a bit more lenient with the score requirements.) The most important thing (in my experience) is grazing to maintain the Connect Bonus up until the boss fight, which will then massively inflate the Spell Card bonuses.
  • A lot of the stage and boss design is experimental. Both the stage portions and bosses are full of gimmick danmaku, especially in the later stages, and scoring high enough to unlock Lap 2 stages basically means wall-to-wall memorization. For me, the creativity of the patterns was a larger draw than the actual challenge of dodging them, so I didn't mind too much, but be aware that there's a LOT of trial and error involved. A LOT. The level design and game progression isn't set up like a regular Touhou game, nor is it intended to be; I think approaching the game with this already in mind should make for a better experience.
  • One of the developers' main goals in making the game was to include something for both amateur and veteran players, which is why the first few stages are intentionally very easy. The later levels on Lap 1 are closer to the Normal/Hard difficulty of an official game; score runs notwithstanding, a casual player should be able to reach the end without too much difficulty. Lap 2 is tailored to hardcore score-runners. (Of course, since I'm not a hardcore score-runner, I can't really say whether or not they succeeded in that regard... but *I* found it interesting, at least?)

The full version of the game is about $8 USD, which (IMO) is really cheap for something that I got so much enjoyment out of. If you've got money to spare and you like either A. visual flair and inventive danmaku, or B. a challenging scoring experience, I'd seriously recommend getting it. (If you're looking for difficult gameplay without heavy memorization, though, you should probably look elsewhere...)

There's also a bonus patch planned for release this very month! It'll include a boss rush mode with unique danmaku and scoring systems, which I'm seriously looking forward to.

Thank you for getting to what I couldn't! The final math project I had was freaking brutal! Aaaaaaanyways...

As you said about the scoring system, it is absolutely necessary. I found myself going back to those levels, especially to get Lap 2 for stage 3, and trying to memorize everything that comes at you. Damn lasers!

I really think that this one is definitely something people should give a try. I get really bored with Len'en and Touhou once I've beaten them to where I'm satisfied, and even for a demo, it has a good bit of content. The stages could be a biiiit better designed, but I don't know if 1-5 were updated from the demo. Whatever, I liked it! Perhaps I myself can get in proper talks when I buy the full version! X3

Smokey

• Not the cat
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
Someone who bought the full version: Are stages 1-5 changed at all? Even on lap2, everything seemed too easy or just pure memo. Both stage 3's and 4's SUUUUCKED. Mokou was fun though.
I dunno if I'd wanna buy this. Not like I can buy anything unless it's in cash anyway  :/

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 12:55:32 AM »
Someone who bought the full version: Are stages 1-5 changed at all? Even on lap2, everything seemed too easy or just pure memo. Both stage 3's and 4's SUUUUCKED. Mokou was fun though.
I dunno if I'd wanna buy this. Not like I can buy anything unless it's in cash anyway  :/

It's been a while since I played the trial version, but I don't think stages 1~5 were much different. (Aside from the Lap 2 score requirements being higher.) Stages 6~8 are where the difficulty really ramps up, especially for Seiga & Yoshika's half of the game, but if memorization/trial-and-error is a turnoff then I would hesitate to recommend the full version.