Author Topic: 東方玄夢妖譚 ~ The Nightmare of Rebellion  (Read 34805 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Re: 東方玄夢妖譚 ~ The Nightmare of Rebellion
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:14 PM »
Much will come of this.
I've finally been able to play this, and so far I'm enjoying it. It's basically everything I loved about Devil of Decline, but polished. It also looks great, the music's great, and the battles are challenging as expected. I sadly won't be doing that blind LP I promised so long ago, but honestly I don't think I would be able to do it blind. :V
Also, for anyone who is going to play this, don't bother attempting using a text hooker unless you can magic up an /H code that hooks the text properly, because the only thread AGTH can pick up with half-decent text is still not that great.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
AGTH? What's that?
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 12:58:15 AM »
Anime Games Text Hooker. It's, well, a text hooker. It works fine with Devil of Decline, but not Nightmare of Rebellion.

EDIT: Also, random story detail stuff!
The reason Akyuu is the main character is because... uh... that's not really Akyuu you're playing as. She looks like Akyuu, but her name is Saya Kurahinata, the shrine maiden of the Kurahinata Shrine. The game takes place in another world known as "Toono," ("distant field"), where Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, and Mamizou have been dumped for no particular reason, hence why you're playing as Saya and not the actual Akyuu. Very weird, I know, but, well... that's the story, I guess?

SECOND EDIT: This is a legitimate question, since I'm not sure, but what are the following things? I think they're essentially "ranks" for how powerful certain abilities are, but I'm not sure what they are besides the third and fourth, which I know are Attack Magic and Recovery Magic respectively:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:48:23 PM by Validon98 »

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 11:24:37 PM »
Assuming I am not off in my Japanese...
攻撃回数 # of attacks
近接 neibouring/adjacent (melee?) (for swords and ax?)
遠撃 distant (ranged) attack (for bow?)
攻魔 Attack magic
回魔 Evade/recovery magic? (although recovery is more likely since it's what appear in the PV next to the name of the healing spell)
攻補 Attack assist/buff?
防補 Defense assist/buff?
回避 Evasion
Also, I noticed in the PV that when you attack, the game indicate which elements the attack has. ^^

You can wish for anything!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »
Ah, that makes sense then. I know that attacks and healing had a number of hits to them, I just didn't realize that EVERYTHING had a number of hits to it. That's actually an interesting way for main Doppels to control how powerful specific types of skills are.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 03:13:38 AM »

EDIT: Also, random story detail stuff!
The reason Akyuu is the main character is because... uh... that's not really Akyuu you're playing as. She looks like Akyuu, but her name is Saya Kurahinata, the shrine maiden of the Kurahinata Shrine. The game takes place in another world known as "Toono," ("distant field"), where Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, and Mamizou have been dumped for no particular reason, hence why you're playing as Saya and not the actual Akyuu. Very weird, I know, but, well... that's the story, I guess?

Akyuu's not Akyuu?!? She's just a lookalike of her?

...hm...  A lookalike of someone in a game about doppelgangers(unless I'm mistaken)...

Curious.

Edit: I actually found someone who had put up the beginnings of a untranslated walkthrough of this game on YouTube, just to let you guys know. I'm not going to put up a link or anything, but I figured that I should point that it exist. Do with this info as you will.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:50:29 AM by Kirin no Sora »
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
Kind of awkward bump, but I just discovered what the "Toono" in the game is supposed to be a reference to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8Dno,_Iwate

So this game really does take place in the outside world after all. Huh.

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 11:49:42 PM »
I will definitely be able to get past the way the characters awkwardly wobble in place in order to play this game.
Yeah, after watching the trailer this was the one thing that stood out to me.  Not quite sure how the single main shikigami/dopple + 3 lesser ones sounds either, I like the way DoD did it.

Regardless definitely going to play this sometime soon since it's a successor to DoD.  Hopefully it maintains the same level of exploratory freedom, that was one of the other things about DoD that I really liked.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
It offers slightly more freedom than GoS did in terms of exploration, but not as much as DoD. For example, after a certain point you're free to explore up to a certain point that you can't get past until you finish three dungeons, then there's a linear part, which I'm currently in the middle of. One interesting thing, though, is almost every area has a little mini-dungeon attached to it, which you can explore for more main doppels and occasionally synthesis recipes.
Also this boss I'm on is just so... argh. Between Colesseo, attacks that pierce defenses, and other assorted junk, I really, really want to just bash this girl's face in. So. Much.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
Colesseo...? As in Colesseo World? Or something else?

The Krve

• Power Word : Silence
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
Oh hey, I was just thinking about getting this.
Graphic is really eye-catching, gotta give 'em that. Japanese isn't really needed, right ?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
Colesseo...? As in Colesseo World? Or something else?

Yeeeeeeeeeeep. Same effects as in GoS and DoD: No one can heal. It can obviously be overwritten, but I don't have much in the way of field effects, so... :V
I managed to get past that boss anyways. I think I'm about... halfway or so through the game now?

Oh hey, I was just thinking about getting this.
Graphic is really eye-catching, gotta give 'em that. Japanese isn't really needed, right ?

You might need to know what some common things like status effect names and such mean, but if you can do that then between just Google Translating the JP wiki (which for now only has weapon skills and what enhancements do) you should be able to play it completely in Japanese. Expect some trial-and-error though. ^^;

The Krve

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Heh, I think I found something useful.
I've also found out that the combat system is more DoD than GoS.
Shikigamis only grant additional skills, right ? Or stat increase too ?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »
Hilariously enough, I was the one who posted that on 4chan. :V
I also made an error when making that: Replace "Offensive Buff" and "Defensive Buff" with "Offensive Assist" and "Defensive Assist." Essentially debuffs/status effects and buffs respectively.
Also doppels can increase stats, but not like shikigamis did in DoD where they ALL did.

The Krve

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
Groovy. Iʹm having two free weeks soon; it has been a long time since I last played a game blinded.
Also, I have heard that there are three secret dopples that is Meiling, the Fairy Trio and Kasen which can be acquired by inputting codes when making certain purchases (!?). Know anything about that ?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
Not really. I have a code but I haven't inputted it at all, so I haven't made use of any special doppels from that. The Kasen one I know you get from buying the soundtrack. The 3 Fairies of Light one comes with certain purchases of the game. The Meiling one I have no clue.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
Japanese isn't really needed, right ?

I don't know how much Japanese is needed for this game but it probably wouldn't hurt to have at least a Katakana chart nearby. : )
Also, since (at least to me) it since many of those Touhou rpgs seems to draw lot of inspiration from Romancing SaGa,
knowing the tech and spell names from those games probably wouldn't huryt either.

You can wish for anything!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:16 AM »
So, with 1.06 came with an omake file. And this file is massive.
...If anyone is up for translating it, by all means please do. It contains a lot of information that might clear up plot details and whatnot. I've taken a look at it with a machine translator, and I've managed to learn a few things:

This game involves multiple Yukaris. Somehow.
The Kurahinata family and the Hieda family are similar, yet have some differences.
Touhou Quest's plot is completely related to this game's plot, because both incidents were the result of someone manipulating dreams.

EDIT: Oh right, another thing I forgot to quickly mention that I found out: The game takes place in the past... 100 years in the past. 1912, according to the omake. The omake also confirmed my guess that Tono was referring to the town in the Iwate Prefecture.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:31:52 AM by Validon98 »

The Krve

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
Well, the only thing we need right now is to fill the wiki with infos about skills and doppels and such. Storyʹs stuffs can wait.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
This game involves multiple Yukaris. Somehow.

(damnityukari.jpg)

The Kurahinata family and the Hieda family are similar, yet have some differences.

Perhaps they're related somehow?

Touhou Quest's plot is completely related to this game's plot, because both incidents were the result of someone manipulating dreams.

So, Touhou Quest and this game will likely have some nods and connections to each other, then?

EDIT: Oh right, another thing I forgot to quickly mention that I found out: The game takes place in the past... 100 years in the past. 1912, according to the omake. The omake also confirmed my guess that Tono was referring to the town in the Iwate Prefecture.

Which means that Reimu and co. have been thrown back in time, on top of a muckup of dreams that someone did.

Well, the only thing we need right now is to fill the wiki with infos about skills and doppels and such. Storyʹs stuffs can wait.

True enough.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »

I know that's more of a priority. I'm just also interested in having a clue as to what is actually happening in the story. ^^;

(damnityukari.jpg)

Would you believe it if I told you the incident is both her fault and not her fault?

Perhaps they're related somehow?

They sort of are. More or less, the Kurahinata family is the outside world counterpart to the Hiedas, and have a similar reincarnation cycle. The incarnations of each family also influences the appearance of each other, hence why Saya and Akyuu are similar, since Saya is the Kurainata incarnation 100 years in the past. At least, that's what I'm getting from this.

So, Touhou Quest and this game will likely have some nods and connections to each other, then?

Roughly, the connection is that the cause of the doppels appearing and the copies of places and people in the dungeons in Touhou Quest is the same, meaning that Touhou Quest was one big bundle of foreshadowing, in a sense. The omake even said something along the lines of "If you replay Touhou Quest, you might find something interesting now," which I guess hints that there was something in the dialogue or events that served as foreshadowing.

Which means that Reimu and co. have been thrown back in time, on top of a muckup of dreams that someone did.

It's more that the muckup of dreams caused them to be thrown back in time. Apparently dreams, if manipulated, can warp even time and space, as is the case in this game. This is probably why Tono is messed up and has anachronistic things like, say, skyscrapers and modern train stations.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:07 PM »
Would you believe it if I told you the incident is both her fault and not her fault?

Considering that this is Yukari we're talking about...

Yes. Yes, I would.

They sort of are. More or less, the Kurahinata family is the outside world counterpart to the Hiedas, and have a similar reincarnation cycle. The incarnations of each family also influences the appearance of each other, hence why Saya and Akyuu are similar, since Saya is the Kurainata incarnation 100 years in the past. At least, that's what I'm getting from this.

Oh, now that is interesting. Makes you wonder about some of the things in the story.

It's more that the muckup of dreams caused them to be thrown back in time. Apparently dreams, if manipulated, can warp even time and space, as is the case in this game. This is probably why Tono is messed up and has anachronistic things like, say, skyscrapers and modern train stations.

Again, I will just say this...

(damnityukari.jpg)

...but seriously. either this other Yukari is having her dreams messed with, or she's just "fooling around again", or something.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
...but seriously. either this other Yukari is having her dreams messed with, or she's just "fooling around again", or something.

It's actually slightly more straightforward than that... a little. I managed to (very roughly) translate the section regarding the multiple Yukaris in this game with ATLAS, which is probably not 100% accurate, but it does make sense of some things.

Yukari A: At that time in 1912, as part of her daily life in Gensokyo, she went into hibernation. She does not appear in this story, and doesn't even know that an incident has happened in the outside world. Of the three Yukaris, she is the only physical one."
Yukari B: In this story, this Yukari is the playable character. She arose as a dream in the modern world, and acts as conscience to Yukari C. Yukari C wondered if she should get rid of this Yukari. Using the power of the Dream Daughter, she sent her into the past using the Precognitive Dream (Dream Corridor). Therefore, this Yukari can be considered the modern one.
Yukari C: In this story, this Yukari is the incident causer. She was formerly regrets and nightmares, and now is born. This distorted Yukari arose from the nightmares of Yukari A. Although she is a distortion and is only regrets, she is essentially like the original Yukari.
In other words, this Yukari can be considered the 1912 consciousness of Yukari A.

Again, very rough translation, don't quote me on any of this. Here is the original Japanese of this section for reference:

紫A:大正元年当時の、幻想郷で日常(冬眠)を送っている紫。
    本編では登場しなく、外の世界で異変が起こっている事すらも知らない。
    三人の紫の中で、唯一実体である紫。
 紫B:本編にて、プレイヤーキャラとして行動する紫。
    現代の夢から生まれた紫で、紫Cの良心からくる計らいにより、
    自問自答する己(紫C)を止めうる存在として、
    夢娘の力にて、予知夢(幻夢回廊)を通じて過去に呼び寄せられた幻夢体。
    それ故に、この紫の意識は現代の紫のもの。
 紫C:本編にて、黒幕として行動する紫。
    かつての未練を悪夢として残し、そして生まれてしまった、
    紫Aの悪夢から生まれた歪んだ紫。
    歪んだといっても、それはその未練についてのみであり、
    それ以外の部分は、本来の紫と何ら変わりは無い。
    この紫の意識は大正元年当時、つまり紫Aのもの。

Note: Yukari C isn't the one directly manipulating dreams. That would be Muu Monnyan, who is a tapir and the boss I'm actually up against next.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:33:45 PM by Validon98 »

The Krve

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2014, 11:22:33 PM »
Holy cow, thatʹs some Bioshock Infinite stuffs.  So where do doppels come from ? Dreams, nightmare, memories, etc? I am kinda curius since we only have to approach purple cracks to get them.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2014, 11:46:53 PM »
My guess is that they are a byproduct of manipulating dreams. in the case of Touhou Quest, the major boss fights were against copies of Touhou characters, such as Murasa, Eirin, Suwako, etc. My guess is that those were also doppels, in a sense.
The omake also describes what is "dream". It is apparently supposed to represent "memory" and "desire," and strong dreams can actually take a partially physical form. So, the doppels were probably born from the memory part of dreams. I think. Again, I'm only basing this off of machine translated text, so I am probably mistranslating something.

The Krve

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »
So I beat the Poison girl and got the seal. But now I don't know where to go next.
And I only had Moth and Kedama. Dunno where to find Murei
And I sticked both Kuroneko and Suitcase girl into Reimu :d.
I want my Truck persona, what do now? 
Edit:NVM, got 'em all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:09:10 AM by The Krve »

The Krve

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
1.0.7 is up!

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
have updated the game to 1.0.7 and now i get this message
does someone know what it says

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »
Wrong serial, you better delete your post.

This seems really interesting, but I'm still playing DoD for now.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 02:01:34 AM »
Seeing as I didn't get the soundtrack, I've been recording the dungeon and battle themes I've ran across. I just uploaded all the ones I've encountered to Youtube, for anyone interested in the music.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCrJxmTAGvNJgScn8Uw709nfLF2fdAH_x