Author Topic: 東方玄夢妖譚 ~ The Nightmare of Rebellion  (Read 34804 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
東方玄夢妖譚 ~ The Nightmare of Rebellion
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:43:59 PM »
http://wp.gensoukyou.org/genmu/

Well, more information has finally been released on the third entry of Strawberry Bose's Omen Trilogy of Touhou-based JRPGs. The Comiket 85 release date has been confirmed, a new PV has been released, and character and story info has been released. Speaking of which, if anyone could translate the info found on the story page here, it would be great, and I'll add any translations to this first post so that people won't have to fish for it in the thread.
I'm excited for this, especially since it's going to be the true sequel to Devil of Decline unlike Phantasmal Summoners and Touhou Quest, and I have high hopes for it.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Re: 東方玄夢妖譚 ~ The Nightmare of Rebellion
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:15:55 AM »
Wait, Akyuu is a Living Goddess in here?  ???
I'd like to try translating these, but maybe I should leave it to more experienced guys(cuc, Sungho, etc.)
Really excited for this but damn, I haven't even finished DoD yet. Is the first one Defiance of Shrine Maiden or Genius of Sappheiros?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:18:00 AM by monhan »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »
Technically speaking the first game in the series was Genius of Sappheiros. Defiant of Shrine Maiden was made by Hachimitsu Kuma-san (Hachikuma).

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:32:56 AM »
Oh man, this looks glorious.

Although, while I'd like to be hype, the translation projects for the other Strawberry-bose games kinda fell off the face of the planet :/ Then again it's more my fault that I haven't played Devil of Decline yet, considering I can remember most of the shikigami moves/passives off the top of my head. >>
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »
So, according to the most recent entry of the development diary, the special system of this game is pretty similar to Devil of Decline, but the way the shikigami (called "Dopples" in this game) work are different. Essentially they heavily determine the master's stats more so than shikigami did, the abilities of the dopples are more powerful generally than shikigami skills were, but dopples can be KOed and only one can be active at a time (although you can equip substitutes and switch out during combat).

Note the difference between Sakuya...

And Patchouli on Reimu.

I wonder how good this system will turn out.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »
Well, I don't know if I understood you wrong, but from what I've read:

There are 2 types of Dopples(Shikigami in DoD), the Main Dopples and the Sub Dopples.
  • The Main Dopples are the Touhou characters, which have stronger skills, greatly affects the wielder's stats, but will die alongside the wielder.
    Though you won't lose them, unlike in KanColle(seriously :V). You can revive them again later but they can't be revived mid-battle. Also you can switch them mid-battle(though I'm not sure if it's between all the reserves, the one each character equipped, or a few that we have to choose beforehand).
    They get stronger as their Dopple Rank increase, but it doesn't increase as fast as your characters level.
    They also buffed the character-specific skills compared to DoD. For example, Rumia's Moonlight Ray will automatically hit the enemy's weakness.(Oh, wow :derp:)
  • The Sub Dopples are the monster characters, which have weaker skills, slightly affects the wielder's stats, and will never die.
    You'll be able to get them quite early in the game, unlike in DoD where you need Satori first.
    It doesn't say whether we can switch them or not, but I think we can't.

Each character can equip 1 Main Dopple and 3 Sub Dopples. You can assign them in the equip screen like in DoD.

And the pics you linked is to show how much the Main Dopples can affect your stats.
Sakuya Dopple turns Reimu into a more physical-oriented chara, while Patchouli Dopple turns Reimu into a more magic-oriented chara.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:50:24 AM by monhan »

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
The new system sounds pretty interesting. I assume Main Dopples are going to act as main roles in the party (Tank, mage, healer) while sub doppels act as augments to those roles. In a way, it sounds slightly like the sub-class system in Touhou Labyrinth 2.

As for the stats on the right column, we have Physical Attack, Accuracy, Evasion, Defense, Magic Defense, (what I'm almost sure is) Induction, and Status Resist. My question now is about the significance of the multiplier on Physical Attack (Maybe number of hits on regular attack), and the two sets of Attack, Accuracy, and Evasion (Maybe Front/Back Row?). Below that we have something that seems new, followed by Elemental/Attribute Resists and Levels(returning from DoD).

Edit: Almost glossed over what seems to be a second weapon slot? Don't know what it says, but the icon doesn't look like a shield, it's more like a staff. Perhaps that's what the second set of physical stats is for?

And now that I think about it, switching between physical and magic based Main Doppels would be more practical with two different weapons equipped. This is getting more and more interesting...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:13:23 AM by Juno Arieiv »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
I want this
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »

It was showed in preview images and the PV before, but bows and guns are a thing in this game, each with their own sets of weapon skills, etc. Also the most recent development diary entry mentions that there will be more weapon skills, and I think it says that weapon skills are sparked like they are in DoD. So far NoR looks very much like an upgrade to DoD's system, which I can't hate considering how much I like DoD. ^^;

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

They just talked about Land in the development diary, and I hadn't noticed that Light and Dark are right in the middle this time around. Otherwise, the elements are going to work in a similar fashion to Touhou Quest.
There was actually in a joke in there about Light and Dark possibly disappearing just like Earth. Hopefully not, I think three element rock-paper-scissors would be hard to have multiple attacks for. ^^;

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
Now they're added a System and Screenshots page to the site, and the System page has a lot more information on the game than before, including:

Mentions that the Doppels of the game are what the incident is based around (apparently they literally are doppelgangers of the other characters)
More about the Doppel System (main Doppels are Touhou characters and determine class such as "Melee," "Long Range," "Magic," "Recovery," and "Special," while sub Doppels are monsters and grant more in terms of passives rather than heavily affecting your character).
More about weapon skills and sparking
Weapon Enchantment (!)
Information on item drops, including a picture showing the results screen that seems to include normal point items, some sort of gold items, and power items.
The native resolution of the game has gone from 832x480 to 1280x720.

That's just a summary of what's on there, but it's quite a lot of new information.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
I will definitely be able to get past the way the characters awkwardly wobble in place in order to play this game.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 12:31:01 AM »
Oh hey it's Ambivale-OH GOD LAUGHING TIRE

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 12:37:04 AM »
Guns in a game... FUCK YEAH!!!!
Oh hey it's Ambivale-OH GOD LAUGHING TIRE

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 02:41:30 AM »
As if they weren't creepy enough :(

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »
Double post, but I just want to bump.
Go to their homepage for Snowflakes~

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Sorry for the random bump, but the last couple of diary entries have been interested.

One of them dealt with the PV, showing some specific screenshots and discussing the green-haired girl that was with Akyuu in one of the still images, even going as far as releasing a small bio on her.

Apparently her name is Tomoko Kujino, but beyond that I have no clue. Beyond that, they have posted an exact screenshot of the silhouettes from the PV.

Not much we can work out from this, but all things considered with SB's previous work, here be the culprits.
The entry after that was actually a summary of the entire Omen Trilogy, including the previous two games. Interestingly enough, Devil of Decline is a prequel to Genius of Sappheiros, not a sequel, and it added some more specific plot details concerning the ultimate ends of each of the previous two games (such as Angra and co returning to Makai but coming back occasionally and the Gorgons staying as guardians as promised). Also, the chronology of the trilogy goes as follows:

Devil of Decline ("The Chaos Incident"): Early summer, most likely following the events of Ten Desires
Genius of Sappheiros ("The Blue Gods Incident"): Midsummer of the same year
Lingering Summer Heat ("The Resentment Incident"): Late summer of the same year
Nightmare of Rebellion ("The Doppel Incident"): Winter of the following year

They teased a bit about whether or not this new incident is related to the previous ones or not. Whatever the case, I find it interesting they'd summarize the previous games in relation to this new one.

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 02:31:18 AM »
That's pretty cool. I thought they may just be separate games.

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »
Seems like what I predicted back here was true.
The changed the antagonists from the first PV (though they kept their color schemes).

As for the plot of the previous games, I would have never guessed that there was an actual timeline like that, although I guess that explains why Lithos and co. didn't show up in DDC, not even as shikigami.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:19:48 AM by Juno Arieiv »

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 01:41:44 AM »
So since it's the same year after Ten desires, we won't get HM or DDC? Since those are 2 years after.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »
I only said that I think it was the same year as Ten Desires, they didn't specify. It might take place the same year as UFO (since the thing for DoD said Angra and the Three Demonic Pillars snuck out of Makai by hitchhiking on the Palaquin Ship when it left at the end of UFO), but if that were true it wouldn't make sense for Mamizou to be there, so I think it all takes place in the same year as Ten Desires. That said, I think you'd be right concerning there not being characters from HM or DDC.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 02:50:05 AM »
Probably they'll do HM characters and DDC for the expansion pack of the game that's my opinion.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
So, they've released some information about the power system: After battle, enemies will drop power, which apparently will be used for casting powerful spells (like the Bomb system in GoS) and for buying things. I'm not entirely sure about that, but, well... it's something.
Also! They released a PV for the soundtrack of the game here. And it is beautiful. Apparently the normal battle theme will be Futatsuiwa from Sado. To that I say yes. Yes yes yes.
Also, here's the soundtrack listing itself. OUT is there as always, and there's a lot of original songs and songs from the Perfect Memento in Strict Sense CD (it wouldn't be surprising to hear Child of Are remixes similar to Innocent Treasures from GoS and Chinese Tea in DoD).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:29:41 PM by Validon98 »

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
Hummmm. PV at 2:00 It looks like train or something. And it's connected to Hina somehow.  ???
Also, i want this. But playing GoS is still fun. Or not. Underlake temple.  :V
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
It's probably not, they just used the theme because why not? Granted, a train station is odd, but given the incident bringing in places from the outside world it makes sense... in a nonsensical way. :V
Also, good luck with the Lakebed Temple. You'll need every bit of it.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
Ryo of Hachimitsu Kuma-san (Hachikuma) posted in the diary about being able to finally test play the game, and he commented on the difficulty. He more or less said this: "Those who thought Gensoumaroku was simple will have to endure difficulty this time."
So it's going to be harder than DoD most likely. I don't mind a challenge, really, but there's that one part of me that isn't completely masochistic that's screaming. ^^;

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
I hope we don't have a Water Jiang-shi type boss NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
Today's diary entry, two days before release (!!!), is concerning more on weapon enchantments. This entry concerns the four different types of weapon enchantments:

Strengthening Group- Directly boosts stats such as ATK and DEF.
Change Group- Allows the weapon to inflict status effects.
Resistance Group- Grants status protection
Special Group- Grants special abilities, such as increasing drop rates or attacking multiple times, etc. (These are rare and apparently cannot be applied by using materials like with the other groups, although they can be found on drops)

All things considered, I think this game will allow for more weapon customization... which is not a bad thing! I mean, it allows for those kinds of weapons that had special effects to be almost any weapon, if you put in the materials and money for it.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
I, for one, am eager to see what will come of this.
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...