Author Topic: My fangame plot idea  (Read 3220 times)

My fangame plot idea
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:03:57 AM »
Hey guys. I'm trying to establish the plot of my Touhou FPS fangame's story before I work on it more (And yes, an FPS, and it's not what you think it is)

I also need to string together the ideas and seeing whether it clashes with Touhou lore or not. Help would be appreciated!

Firstly, the idea I have is something like Rin being a human "erased" from the existence of Gensokyo in place of Reimu. As a result, she envies Reimu because she was supposed to fulfill her slot of existence and enjoy the material world, but today Rin is bound by endless void.

Somehow, she is able to return, and claim the Hakurei power of Reimu, which "pushes" Reimu's existence out into a paralel world (Seihou) Here, Reimu encounters Gates and VIVIIT who help her investigate what is going on (and equip her for her journey.)

Throughout Reimu's travels, she encounters parallels of those she encountered in her own world.

Examples:
Wriggle is not a lower youkai, but instead she commands a fleet of bandits ravaging small villages in order to seize their resources or plunder cactus energy-rich grounds (Cactus energy is to Seihou what Oil is to real life. While her fleet is really an excuse to put Hibachi in Touhou.)

Or Yumemi, as opposed to her Touhou personality, is instead a pious, spiritual leader of a desert tribe (and wears blue)

Or NAMAZU (The giant cat fish) being a human girl with the power to shape shift (as opposed to Touhou's Namazu who lives in the dream world)

And Youmu never being born, but instead Youki serves under Yuyuko, who instead of being the queen of the netherworld, is queen of the yakuza inside the lower class slums of a great metropolis (Think of Midgar from FF7)

Or Toyosatomimi no Miko being a DJ at a drug-infested club (Yeah, I know that sounds a little "out there", but Seihou is pretty dark, and so are the slums)

Here's the thing though. I'm not sure how to fill in the plot holes. How and why was RIn erased? And how to work out HOW Rin returns and suddenly claims Reimu's power, and she gets pushed into the Seihou world instead of the void? Or how reimu could get back?

Anyways, what do you think of the idea, first of all? And second of all, could you add to my idea, or give me some ideas?

edit;
I have a better idea. I'm going to continue the idea of parallels and keep the spell card system, but scrap the idea about Reimu.

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,12161.msg796992.html#msg796992
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:47:49 AM by Lishy1 »

capt. h

• Only sane townie
Re: My fangame plot idea
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »
I don't think plot is very important in video games. What's more important is leaving the player in control of the story's direction (if playing an RPG, e.g. Skyrim, where there were a number of acceptible plotholes concerning how much time the dragonborn took and how quickly he rose through the ranks of the various guilds), and making the gameplay fun (e.g. Mario, with the infamous "GODZILLA KIDNAPPED THE PRINCESS, SAVE HER level of story telling).

The important thing with an RPG is to give it a sense of history. Al the characters and locations should have a sense of history behind them, rather than simple props in a grand story, they should be normal people who have lived long, varied lives and each have a story behind them. Once again, I use Skyrim as an example - every location has a tale to tell, and every named character has a story behind how they got to where they are, even the ones you find dead. It's rare that the main character in an RPG has a fully coherent story simply because the main character is the player, and the player wants to be a badass. The counterpoint would be Encharted 2; it had wonderful set pieces, but the biggest flaw was that the player was forced to play through Drake's story, and wasn't allowed to play the plot as the player, but as an idiot that constantly met face to face with the bad guy only when the player had a gun to his head and was made helpless by cutscenes.

Or you could just go full alternate universe, as in Reimu in Seihou. Cutting out Rin and the Gensoukyo side altogether should fix pretty much all the plot holes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:05:27 PM by capt. h »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
Anyways, what do you think of the idea, first of all? And second of all, could you add to my idea, or give me some ideas?

I think it's admirable that you want your game to have a solid plot. Whether it's necessary or not, I think it does add to the enjoyment of a game when I can tell the creators actually tried, instead of relying on my suspension of disbelief. So, kudos for that.

For some reason, the DJ idea appeals to me most. You have a lot of potential there for your cast (hardcore clubbers, some kids who snuck in with fake IDs, security, bartenders, drug dealers, rival DJs and so forth) each of whom with their own little backstories, and who could offer the PC a different quest in one way or another.

Best of luck with this, I look forward to seeing your progress.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
As it is, the plot seems overly complex. There's a "Revenge for living the life I could have had" plot, a Seihou crossover, AND an alternate universe. I'd suggest cutting at least one of these out altogether. It'd probably work best if it were the "Rin" part, you could come up with a different excuse for Reimu to get shunted to an alternate dimension.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:01:39 AM »
As it is, the plot seems overly complex. There's a "Revenge for living the life I could have had" plot, a Seihou crossover, AND an alternate universe. I'd suggest cutting at least one of these out altogether. It'd probably work best if it were the "Rin" part, you could come up with a different excuse for Reimu to get shunted to an alternate dimension.
Seihou IS the parallel universe.

In my opinion, the seihou world is very dark. It's a dying world where nature is dying and countries fight over resources, and civilians live under martial law under war time.

Design-wise, I want to design urban areas much like Midgar from FF7.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »
Your idea is a bit ambitious, I say, maybe over-ambitious. Seems like you've got a background for the main game, but the opportunities for plot holes and deus ex machina moments are plenty.

Considering you said on Steam you're basing this off a Doom source port, it seems as if you are mixing elements of Heretic, Hexen, and Strife here (all of those being first-person shooter/RPG hybrids that use the Doom engine).

Midgar-like areas? Eh, I don't think that engine will handle it that well (going by some Doom - okay, SRB2 but it's the same base engine - mapping experience).

Simplify things a bit first, then expand as you go.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:49:09 AM by はたたた Potato Fryers »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
edit;

Mechanics are complete. Now to make a plot and enemies..

However, I'm thinking of scrapping what's in the original post. What would you guys think about a seihou/touhou starring Seihou characters in encounters with Touhou parallels within the Seihou world? So the game takes place within the Seihou world, taking the perspective of Gates and featuring Erich and Vivit, but other characters include stuff like the Touhou parallels mentioned in the first post?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:46:41 AM by Lishy1 »