Author Topic: URGENT TO ALL LPers!!!!  (Read 2997 times)

Night4ce

• Mokou
  • ^_^
    • Yutube Channel
URGENT TO ALL LPers!!!!
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
Watch this video and take action!! A felony to make a video with Game content with prison time!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8&feature=feedlik

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
Re: URGENT TO ALL LPers!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
Well, that was a pretty well-presented speech on the part of the uploader. Good luck to the Americanean LPers with that law!

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
This was on Reddit like 10-20 days ago.. :P

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
I don't normally get involved in stuff like this...But for once, I have a reason to.
I can't sit idly by and let gaming videos be purged, I'll fight for what I believe in!
Afterall, the only folks who make money from them are folks like Machinma and Yogscast.
Or do Indie Games, like DeceasedCrab.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
Wasnt there a thread about this in lettys or the cafe?
Either way, The bills stupid as fuck, And it wont get passed as it invades on the freedom in the constitution, along with many other reasons.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
To be fair LPs etc. are breaches of copyright for the most part.
There's no reason to single out any given breach as more or less than others. It's better to just rework the whole of copyright to deal with the internet already. Not that some big companies might get pissed at having to adapt to whatever it turns into.

This law is pointless they just need to enforce the one they have; which they can't as it would cost too much as so many people break it, because it's too far reaching.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
In an ironic twist, I remembered that the two LPers I follow, Raocow and Helloween4545, are Canadian and British respectively. I don't support the measure anyway.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 11:49:01 PM »
Wasnt there a thread about this in lettys or the cafe?

Yes, there was, and it debunked the notion that you can go to PRISON FOR STREAMING. The legislation simply adds "streaming content" to an existing copyright law, and they're not exactly busing copyright violators into prison, are they?

EDIT: Here are the facts. Please read them. Hysteria and exaggeration do not help the cause of internet freedom; information does.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:09:35 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 12:28:29 AM »
So, putting this in the perspective of the LPer: could a Let's Play possibly fulfill the requirements to violate copyright law? The first requirement is a no brainer, since most LPs easily take up ten or more "public performances", but it's the bit about needing to exceed a certain amount of monetary damage I'm interested in.

The video at the top of the thread has an interesting point about video game companies wanting LPs and reviews out there, because it helps spread word about the game. But, I can also see that LPs decreasing the amount of people who buy or play the game, because they've just watched all of the important bits already. I'm guilty of this myself: I hate playing horror games (because I'm a wuss), but I like watching LPs of horror games. So, I watch the game get played, and I'm satisfied: I didn't buy a copy of the game, and have no desire to do so because I've already experienced the bits that I'm interested in.

Tengukami

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »
A good measuring stick for this is to think of every other instance of "copyright violation" you can think of, and what ends up happening as a result. Do you know anyone who's been arrested for violating a copyright on YouTube? I'm guessing the answer is "lol no". And even if YouTube decides to get stricter about LPing, you can always move to more relaxed video hosting sites, e.g., Vimeo (which has better video quality anyway), Daily Motion, and so on.

In other words, this is a non-issue.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »
A good measuring stick for this is to think of every other instance of "copyright violation" you can think of, and what ends up happening as a result. Do you know anyone who's been arrested for violating a copyright on YouTube? I'm guessing the answer is "lol no". And even if YouTube decides to get stricter about LPing, you can always move to more relaxed video hosting sites, e.g., Vimeo (which has better video quality anyway), Daily Motion, and so on.

In other words, this is a non-issue.
This isn't about youtube though, plus the issue is that it will be government enforced rather than just on a report basis.

Tengukami

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »
This isn't about youtube though, plus the issue is that it will be government enforced rather than just on a report basis.

Copyright law is already enforced by the government. Again, PLEASE read the information I linked to. This is literally a non-issue.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
As has been discussed before, this is a non-issue. Don't worry about it, there's no need to get hysterical.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"