Author Topic: (Lotus Land Story) Unused content, or just something I can't identify?  (Read 4556 times)

Recently, by accident I've caused read errors in PC98 games. The cause was my USB flash drive (where I store the games) lost contact with the port and data became unavailable to the emulator.
I thought this might be a great way of glitching the game and maybe achieving impossible feats, which isn't really the case, because after the countless times I've done this USB read error thing, I've come to a conclusion that the game stores quite a lot of vital data during gameplay in the 640 Kilobytes of RAM thats available to it (Without an Extended Memory Manager. Tho the game only requires 560K to run normally).

Every time a read error occurs, the Abort,Retry,Ignore,Fail prompt appears.
The first 2 are self explanatory, the 2nd forces read from disk (even tho there is none, which will most likely cause a game to crash, or even play eerie music), and the fail command just forces read from ram (So for example, if a music track is already playing, picking another one and applying the F command will just play the already playing music again).

Attempting this at specific intervals during gameplay can achieve some pretty awesome results, like going into stages that make your character go really fast, that consist of bits and pieces of previous stage tiles.

However, one result caught my attention. This one.

Who is that on the bottom left corner?
Blame me for not beating the game on all difficulties, but I honestly can't tell who that is.

Re: (Lotus Land Story) Unused content, or just something I can't identify?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »
I think is just a random glitchy mess but if we want to see something into it to me looks like some kind of weird grass so maybe it was an unused background ?

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
I can see a face.
It's kinda strange that it uses the stage palette.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
I can see a face.
It's kinda strange that it uses the stage palette.
Can you use paint or something to show it ?

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »
Why yes

Good enough?

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
Why yes

Good enough?
Thanks but I still can't see it maybe is one of those things in which different peoples see different things (for me is grass, for you is a face), I wonder what other peoples will see in it

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »
Thanks but I still can't see it maybe is one of those things in which different peoples see different things (for me is grass, for you is a face), I wonder what other peoples will see in it

I messed up and closed the copy I was working on, so what I'm going to show here is very hasty and not all that accurate compared to what I had before, but have a look at the purple layer, if it weren't ripped apart vertically. I know it looks sort of like garbage, but bear with me for a minute, I did this very quickly since I lost what I had.

Yes, yes I stopped less than halfway through this time, I'm sorry. Also, it's a bit hard to tell if the other colored layers there are interfering with the purple, they could very well be overlapping some bits.

But there is a face, so it'd probably help anyone who wants to try to identify it. In the meantime, I'll get back to trying to more seriously reconstruct the broken image there. I'm sure the green and blue layers in the same area might also be part of the full image, so I'll work on that as well if I can. I don't usually do this sort of thing though, so don't expect something too great. (if I manage to finish it at all) It might also be stretched to some extent horizontally as well, that I can't be sure of.

I didn't find an immediate match, but then again I don't have all of the LLS portraits on-hand, either.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:30:58 AM by ReimiliaScarlet »

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
I messed up and closed the copy I was working on, so what I'm going to show here is very hasty and not all that accurate compared to what I had before, but have a look at the purple layer, if it weren't ripped apart vertically. I know it looks sort of like garbage, but bear with me for a minute, I did this very quickly since I lost what I had.

Yes, yes I stopped less than halfway through this time, I'm sorry. Also, it's a bit hard to tell if the other colored layers there are interfering with the purple, they could very well be overlapping some bits.

But there is a face, so it'd probably help anyone who wants to try to identify it. In the meantime, I'll get back to trying to more seriously reconstruct the broken image there. I'm sure the green and blue layers in the same area might also be part of the full image, so I'll work on that as well if I can. I don't usually do this sort of thing though, so don't expect something too great. (if I manage to finish it at all) It might also be stretched to some extent horizontally as well, that I can't be sure of.

I didn't find an immediate match, but then again I don't have all of the LLS portraits on-hand, either.
Now I see it thank you, is interesting, I think is not one of the bosses as I can't remember any of them with that facial expression, she may Reimu or Marisa in one of the endings or of course the Rin Satsuki of the pc-98 era

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 11:22:51 AM »
Wow somebody actually tried going deep into this.
Appreciated!

EDIT: Hmm. That purple part you ripped out looks a lot like the bomb background of Marisa. Its also different from my screencap, which doesn't look like anything else I've seen in the game.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:27:02 PM by spaztron64 »

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 01:47:42 AM »
Wow somebody actually tried going deep into this.
Appreciated!

EDIT: Hmm. That purple part you ripped out looks a lot like the bomb background of Marisa. Its also different from my screencap, which doesn't look like anything else I've seen in the game.

Sorry, in the picture I posted, I didn't finish reassembling it, honestly, it was just a quick edit to show what seems to be someone's face in there. At the time I posted, I lost the picture I had spent more time fixing, so that is something I threw together quickly to point out where the face is, to help anyone who doesn't see it.

The purple, green and blue bits around that area in your original image look to me as if they're torn apart vertically. What I have there is just a quick edit closing in the gaps. I stopped there in the quick picture because the further I go along, the more I'm unsure about how the pixels are supposed to line up, once things start overlapping. I admit, I am certainly no expert when it comes to this sort of thing, I just happened to notice the topic and took interest in it myself.

If I do find anything better from this, I'll post back, but with the way stuff overlaps, I'm not sure I can piece it back correctly without knowing what it is.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 02:00:09 AM »

I also think is actually just Marisa's bombscreen, the facial expression is that and if you look closely you can actually see her's arm which she point to the sky during the bomb

Still this kind of things are funny especially when they happens in old games in which they have this kind of mystery feeling very unique to them
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:06:54 AM by R.P. »

Das

• w e w
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 07:26:26 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/FXIWSBD.png

strange how it got loaded tho.