Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 221318 times)

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
^Can't wait to see how you handled MagnetMan. BV
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
^Can't wait to see how you handled MagnetMan. BV
Running headfirst into every one of his attacks.  :V

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
RARE WEAPON GET!

For those who are wondering, it's Counter-Strike Online.

Yadogari

• Hieda no Akyu of Shrinemaiden
  • Resident Jackass
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 02:35:41 AM »
Meh, just really playing Blazblue at the moment. (also Zettai hero Project, Monster Hunter FU and Knights in the Nightmare)
Randomly playing Mystical Ninja Goemon, Goemon Shin Sedai Shuumei and S4 league.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 02:46:46 AM »
Still playing Pokemon White.  After a week of using Masuda's Method and no shiny I gave up and started team building.  I'm running out of stuff to do, I might have to play the musical at some point.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »
I
JUST
GOT
SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI

NOCTURNE

:*

I heard many things about the difficulty of the game.
I swear that I will for the first time prove victorious!

Also, thread title > "The Overlooked Better Threequel" :V

Formless God

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
I
JUST
GOT
SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI

NOCTURNE
join dark side

I heard many things about the difficulty of the game.
I find this game (and the series in general) easier than stuff like VP2 :V It's just strict resource management.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
Just finished Mass Effect 1

Holy shit I loved this game.

I thought it was gonna be bullshit hard for me because it was presented to me as a TPS, a genre I REALLY suck at, so I played on casual. Of course, setting the "Auto-Aim" to maximum really helped me out, I think the fact that I build Shepard, Garrus and Tali in a defensive build helped out as well.

Currently doing second playthrough starting on level 40/60 on Hardcore mode, starting up with the Spectre equipment (I swear to you getting those 1mil credits to unlock the stuff was bullshit easy.) just finished the mission on Eden Prime, so far, I'm killing Geth Juggernauts like if they were nothing.

Anybody here has a balanced party setup for soldier Shephard, though? The closest to it I found was Garrus/Tali, but I wanna know if Tali/Liara are more balanced than that (I have no tech options with Soldier Shephard/Tali/Garrus)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 03:51:19 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf
FUCK. THIS. LEVEL.

...Unrelated, what the hell do you spend Rupees on in Twilight Princess (except for tanking w/Magic Armor in the Cave of Ordeals) in the endgame?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:52:58 AM by Amae Taiyomo »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 06:41:55 AM »
Nocturne...?

Game: Hooray, that was an annoying Block-The-Plot Quest with a piss-easy boss at the end, wasn't it?
Me: Yes.
Game: MATADOR TIME!
Game: YOUR TEAM COMPOSITION IS ASS!
Me: ;_;

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »
Nocturne...?

Game: Hooray, that was an annoying Block-The-Plot Quest with a piss-easy boss at the end, wasn't it?
WELCOME TO NOCTURNE
ENJOY YOUR STAY

Also I'm so looking forward to the S/SS/SSSLicense exams in EXE2 <8D

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 07:51:42 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf
FUCK. THIS. LEVEL.
Is the level actually like that, or was that just a really shitty encode?

...Unrelated, what the hell do you spend Rupees on in Twilight Princess (except for tanking w/Magic Armor in the Cave of Ordeals) in the endgame?
Absolutely nothing!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »
Nocturne...?

Yeaaaaaah. Nocturne is fun but brutal, and I bet there will come a time when you'll wonder if you would have more fun playing something else. Between long, long dungeon crawls though random encounters with baddies that use instant death spells (or instant game over spells, depending on how you view it), to painfully drawn out boss battles with real rough gimmicks (I'm looking at you, Trumpeter), I just gave up on it and went on to something else I wanted to play. I'm typically not one to give up when I'm so far in the game, but Nocturne just happened to make that dubious grade. Mind you, I've got things I've wanted to play for years just sitting around, so my pile of games I haven't played just got too enticing for me to keep at Nocturne and go through a massive grind session right before the end of the game.

Oh, and I still don't know what Luck does, so you may want to skip it. It doesn't seem to boost the crit rate...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:27:47 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Is the level actually like that, or was that just a really shitty encode?

I'm still unsure about the encoding (I can't play anything Flash-related at full speed anymore, and yes, the screen ratio is fuck since I didn't get the whole "record 16:9 footage in 4:3 and inflate it in the video editor instead of inflating to 16:9 in the recording program and end up with shit" until I recorded the CORE challenges), but yeah, the level's pretty much like that.

Also, the Legendary Pokemon Cards seem to really hate [the final boss] - he drew the Legendary Zapdos, which has an ability to attack one target at random, friend or foe, for 30 damage whenever it's played. He plays it, shoots his Eevee on his bench. He Scoop Ups it, re-plays it, and nukes the same Eevee. Oh, that was my last prize?
SUICIDE
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »
Anybody here has a balanced party setup for soldier Shephard, though? The closest to it I found was Garrus/Tali, but I wanna know if Tali/Liara are more balanced than that (I have no tech options with Soldier Shephard/Tali/Garrus)
Wrex and Kaidan or Garrus works, I find.  Lift and Throw are nice biotics.  Honestly, though, unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, ME1 is pretty forgiving for party composition.

ME2 is also, but that's just because the fact that it's a cover based shooter means it is functionally meaningless who you use, except on Insanity.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:50 PM »
YES YES YES

Attempt 1
Taizen Lv 14 + Marogoreh (No affinities)
Angel Lv 13
Jack Frost Lv 10
High Pixie Lv 13

Attempt 2
Taizen Lv 19 + Hifumi (Null Force)
Bicorn Lv 18
Uzume Lv 18
Sudama Lv 13

Now, if only I could beat the Tables on Floor 25 of Tartarus as easily.
I mean, I can, but I don't seem to comprehend "go back and save to avoid being Mudo'd by the first enemy on the next floor."

Also, Shadow Yukiko, again D:

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 05:59:07 AM »
I finished Shadow of the Colossus.

...I managed to only sort of enjoy myself. This is really one of the best games of the past decade? :T I may just be a Mr. Smartypants with the dissenting opinion, but its uniqueness was offset by the constant dick moves on the part of the "puzzles."
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 07:09:03 AM »

...I managed to only sort of enjoy myself. This is really one of the best games of the past decade? :T I may just be a Mr. Smartypants with the dissenting opinion, but its uniqueness was offset by the constant dick moves on the part of the "puzzles."
You're not the only person out there who didn't enjoy it too much.  It and me don't get along.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »

That was largely due to its graphics, which were a cut above any other PS2 game at the time (and IIRC, a few PS360 games too). I will admit that a few of them were dicks, though (how are you supposed to realize the tooth-things could help you maneuver that one?), but let's face it - when the entire game hinges on puzzles, it's a bit hard not to be a bit of a dick with some of them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:15:03 AM by Amae Taiyomo »

Move eternally forward,

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
That was largely due to its graphics, which were a cut above any other PS2 game at the time (and IIRC, a few PS360 games too). I will admit that a few of them were dicks, though (how are you supposed to realize the tooth-things could help you maneuver that one?), but let's face it - when the entire game hinges on puzzles, it's a bit hard not to be a bit of a dick with some of them.

Yeah, but when the "puzzles" of the final climactic boss were
Spoiler:
controlling the camera so Wander wouldn't leap right off the colossus, fighting the awkward controls of leaping backwards so he doesn't leap back onto the arm you're trying to get off of, and shooting at an invisible weak point in a situation where you really wouldn't be thinking to use the sword,
it gets a little maddening. :|

Alright I'm done venting. Next game is Persona 3 FES, which I hear I'll enjoy a lot more :D
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »
Alright I'm done venting. Next game is Persona 3 FES, which I hear I'll enjoy a lot more :D

Quite definetly, won't go into details though, because then there would be a major WoT here (MAJOR Persona 3 FES Fanboy here)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
Finished Xenoblade Chronicles with about 90% completion, estimated. Only some optional super monsters were left with a chance against me :V
Majorly overleveled for the final boss though, since I did every quest I could find (which is the main leveling source in the game, and a plentiful one).
Best 120 hours I ever put into a game by far, and none of that time was grinding or anything like that, pretty much always was on some quests or had a goal.

Now onto Atelier Totori, since I love the Atelier games. Already liking how the advance-dialogue-icon is a fish  :derp:

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »
Finished Xenoblade Chronicles with about 90% completion, estimated.
Erhrrhggghh! Of all the games for the current console generation that I wanted to play, this would probably be it. The westerners have been snubbed.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
Anybody here remember that gem of a game called Freelancer?
I finally got my hands on a copy again, this time for keeps.
Last one I messed with was borrowed from a library.

A good tip in the beginning is to get a Rhino Freighter, then buy Basic Alloy in bulk at West Point Military Academy, and then sell it over at Baltimore Shipyard.
The buying price at West Point is around 40 credits, you'll be selling it at Baltimore for around 108 creds.
Farming Zephiel Turrets and Drail Blasters off of Rogues is also a good way to prepare for obtaining a Rhino, as they have 3 gunports, and 5 turretports.
The most you'll have to do to get Drail and Zephiel weapons is to just be Level 2, the Zephiels drop at Lv1, and Drails at Lv2. You'll only need 3 Drails, and 5 Zephiels, but if you can get even 3 Zephiels, you're set, as you can fill the remaining 2 slots with Starbeam turrets and not notice much difference.

EDIT: and for the die-hard Macross fan in all of us, I present this. The Itano Circus Mod. Fighter-type ships get a major buff, and are a lot cooler to use. If I were to use this, I'd be a firm proponent of using the Patriot Light Fighter you can get on the first planet.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:40:00 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
I've heard of Freelancer, yeah.  My roommate and his buds were way into it for a little while, all playing together over LAN for hours at a time.

As for me?  Sequence.  Just released on Steam a day or two ago it was one of those 'super crazy hidden gems' of the XBL Indie Arcade.  It's pretty goddamn fantastic.  It's a rhythm game using a typical DDR-esque design... but with RPG Mechanics and multiple notestreams at once.  It's like the DDR equivalent of, say, Puzzle Quest or something.

In other words it's fantastic, and hilarious, I mean really even the 'how to play' video is tongue-in-cheek

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
Going through GTA: SA again, mainly to test cutscene models for the Touhou GTA mod.

Also pre-ordered L.A. Noire Complete off Steam and got GTA3 and VC for PC as well, in the hopes for extending mods to these games (silly cars for all, TGTA for the latter two).

May be buying 3, VC, and SA again should I choose to extend support to the Mac versions (I've seen vehicle mods work there properly).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:08:23 PM by あややや Newspapers Conglomerate »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2011, 09:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Hanzo K.
Anybody here remember that gem of a game called Freelancer?

Yes, those were good times, pity about the would-be-sequel though. Nothing beats cruising through a radioactive cloud while hanging out with some Xenos/small fry.

Finally got my hands on Demon's Souls and... well, it's kicking my ass (naturally) despite the progress today (2 demons slain, that makes it a glorious 3 overall). What did I get myself into?
After finally safely dropping down that huge mining shaft I get the choice of either facing lava-spewing... stone-worms...? (thinking about it, maybe I could've ran past them, derp moment I guess) or a boss that is lava.  And no way of retreat.
Should've gone the other way.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 12:59:21 AM »
More Nocturne asshattery

>DANTE TIME!
Me: Oh, this is actually rather easy.
>The wild DANTE used BULLET-TIME!

Taizen 224 > 130
High Pixie 120 > 50
Uzume 174 > 70
Bicorn 180 > 75

Me: OH SHIT.

> The wild DANTE used BULLET-TIME.
Me: WHAT AGAIN

Taizen 130 > 44
High Pixie 50 > 0
Uzume 70 > 0
Bicorn 75 > 0

> Player's turn! :D
Me: ...........
Me: Do you think this will kill him?

>Taizen uses Lunge
>HP falls to 20
>Critical hit, 503 damage to the Dante.
>Dante is defeated.

:V

As well as Nocturne, Persona 3 FES.
SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THESE FIRE TABLES.
Also, playing Pokemon White again.
This postgame is still evil!

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 01:27:10 AM »
As well as Nocturne, Persona 3 FES.
SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THESE FIRE TABLES.

I believe you're talking about the first (I think) guardian of the second block, yes?

If so, bufu, knock all of them down, don't use all-out attack, heal or bufu them again, at least two of them won't be able to move.

Rinse and repeat.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 02:19:25 AM »
Professor Layton and the Last Specter

It's pretty obvious that a game is made by Japanese when even in an European setting you have
Spoiler:
MOTHERFUCKING MECHS IN EVERY GAME BV

oh man this time I FIGHT THE MECHS WITH PUZZLE SOLVING ACTION

Every game also involves the Professor being
Spoiler:
MacGyver
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:08:25 AM by Suikama »