Author Topic: Exactly how do you pronounce some of the characters' names?  (Read 11287 times)

Onion

• Classic era Marisa-like entity
  • Failing at Touhou since 2000-something
Re: Exactly how do you pronounce some of the characters' names?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 02:47:36 AM »
Pardon me if I'm just missing something obvious, but what is wrong with "Lapislazuli"? I don't think I understand what you mean when you say it "doesn't deserve a consistent English pronunciation". Can it not just be read the same as you would pronounce the name of an ordinary Lapis-Lazuli - which is a real thing and does have a consistent English pronunciation already?

The pronunciation written out in simple terms is a bit like:

Lapis: L as in lie, short a as in bad, p as in pie, short i as in bid, s as in sigh
Lazuli: L as in lie, short a as in bad, z as in zoom, long u as in cute, l as in lie, i as in the 'y' in 'happy'
Alternatively, the final i is less commonly read as a long i as in tide.

I don't see anything about Lapislazuli in particular as a name that doesn't look consistent. Maybe I missed something, in that case, my apologies.

You're entirely right. I just A: never knew how to pronounce Lapis Lazuli in the first place, and B: it is one whole word here. Do I say it really fast, or...? I just wanted to poke fun at it. Sorry.  :ohdear:

Who in hell has a last name of Lapislazuli?! Oh wait...
Please wait warmly. Girls are intentionally leaving this space blank.

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

Re: Exactly how do you pronounce some of the characters' names?
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 04:36:45 AM »
You're entirely right. I just A: never knew how to pronounce Lapis Lazuli in the first place, and B: it is one whole word here. Do I say it really fast, or...? I just wanted to poke fun at it. Sorry.  :ohdear:

Who in hell has a last name of Lapislazuli?! Oh wait...

Oh, fair enough then! That's quite alright, I just wasn't sure if I was missing something, or whatnot.

Honestly, I'm not sure whether it should be read quickly like one word, or more spaced out as if it were two words, in the case of her name anyways... That one is a mystery even to me.

edit: a spelling