Author Topic: [Solved] Touhou Mother Won't Start  (Read 5086 times)

[Solved] Touhou Mother Won't Start
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »
I've recently tried to install Touhou Mother onto my computer, but every time I try to start a new game, it just crashes and gives me this error message:

Everything runs properly until I select "New Game," at which point the screen fades to black, and gives me the error message. It also automatically leaves fullscreen mode.

Edit: Well this has been fixed, and since it's such a complicated installation process, I'll be writing up detailed instructions here for anyone reading this in the future. So, here goes.

You'll need three things to run this game: the game itself (Touhou Mother), the Japanese version of RPG Maker 2000 RTP, and AppLocale. The first is easy to get--just download it--and this site has instructions for AppLocale already. The third, though, is more complicated.

The normal way to get it would be to download it from this link, then run the installer with your computer set to run non-unicode programs in Japanese mode; you can do that by going to Control Panel => Clock, Language and Region => Region and Language, then going to the "Administrative" tab and clicking "change system locale."

Annoyingly enough, for some people that just doesn't work. If that's the case, download this file, and extract it with whatever program you like. Your system locale will need to be set to Japanese here, or you'll get error messages and file names will come out wrong. After that, just copy the extracted "ASCII" folder into your "Program Files (x86)" folder; you'll need administrator privileges for this to work. If you've already got an "ASCII" folder there, replace it. After this, you should--hopefully--be able to run the game.

If that last step failed, there's one last thing I can think of, although honestly it's a pretty long shot... Install the English version of RPG Maker 2000 RTP first, then repeat the step above. That might cause the computer to realise that the program's actually installed.

Well, good luck, and enjoy the game! And thank you so much, Nyyl, for helping me through this; without you, I'd never have gotten to play.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:51:05 AM by E Dog »

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
Re: Touhou Mother Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
I went ahead and checked my Touhou Mother installation since I'm running an identical setup to yours, and I found the same problem, interestingly. I installed the Japanese RTP from here and it works now. You might have installed the English RTP, which won't work. Hopefully this fixes your problem

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:30:40 AM »
Thanks very much, it seems like you're right there... I did have the English RTP installed, so that's probably where my problem was coming from. But unfortunately, I'm having trouble installing the Japanese RTP. If I run it with my computer set to English mode, the installer fails at 44%, which is normal. If I try running it using AppLocale or Japanese mode, though, it refuses to start altogether; I just get various error messages whenever I try to open it. The same problems occur on a different laptop, too, which (I believe) uses Windows 7 32-bit.

From what I've read elsewhere, it seems like this is impossible to fix, but can be worked around; someone mentioned that pasting the extracted folder from 2000RTP into the right directory for RPG Maker 2000 would work, but I can't find a copy of said folder anywhere. So, do you think you could point me in the right direction/upload a copy? Or tell me how to fix the issue, if that's doable?

Thanks again for your help.

PS. I am using the English version of RPG Maker 2000; do I need the Japanese version instead? And if I do, where might I get it?

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
Sure, it's worth a shot
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x40fc69swf98cmn/rtp.zip
just paste the folder "ASCII" into Program Files (x86) and if there's already one there go ahead and overwrite it. you'll probably need administrator privileges but you shouldn't have any problems

as for your other question, I don't believe you need to have RPG maker itself installed, just the RTP

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »
Yeah, that is correct. You only need the RTP to run games made in RPG Maker.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:17:06 AM »
And it finally works! Thank you so much, I love you! You've made my life so much easier!  :]

Since I had to spend four days or so to figure this thing out, I'll be putting detailed instructions in the first post, and I'll PM vgperson to ask her to include the instructions with the translated version.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:45:04 AM by E Dog »