Author Topic: [STALKER/Touhou] T.O.U.H.O.U. - Land of Shadows  (Read 5578 times)

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
[STALKER/Touhou] T.O.U.H.O.U. - Land of Shadows
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:48:22 AM »
(( Just tossing this out there. It's not very good and way too short, even for me, I know, but I needed to get this idea out of my head. Like my other stories, don't expect an update any time soon - I'm busy with other Touhouries, including trying to finish the crack fic, and things not Touhou, such as getting caught up in Script Frenzy, and failing at college. Consider it a one-shot for now - but I will return to this, primarily because I have ideas for it bubbling in my head.

It'll mash up all three plots for all three Stalker games.

Yes, I know, the acronym for T.O.U.H.O.U. blows Bloodsucker dick. Deal with it ))

----------------------

This would be Rin Satsuki's last run.

She decided on it after her best friend, a wizened Korean bastard who'd been here since the military blockade went up, suddenly up and left. Just like that. Rin got one sentence out of him when she asked him why.

?Shit's about to hit the fan.? That's all he said when he walked out of the bar. A couple of Loners followed him as well, muttering some variation to that sentence. She thought it was just him losing his nerve, probably a bad run-in with a Psuedogiant or Burer, but the next day, a ton of Loners had followed suit. The bar was empty except for a couple of Dutyers, who were making their own plans to bug out. A fifth of vodka later, she decided she'd bug out as well.

She tried to convince herself it was purely a business matter. After all, her courier service ? driving an armored SUV to and fro Loner encampments to deliver supplies, weapons, warnings, and the occasional dead drop for Duty and Freedom ? would flounder without Loners, and she wasn't going to get caught up in the idiotic faction war between Duty and Freedom. Oh, sure, she was well-paid (at least compared to the average loner) and her business ensured that most bandits stayed away from her, lest they have the Barkeep place a bounty on their head and Duty and Freedom baying for blood.

Deep inside, however, she knew it was a load of shit. When a bunch of Zone vets suddenly leave, that was good enough reason to ?get the Hell out of Dodge?, as that grizzled Korean said. Whatever ?Dodge? was.

Her last run would be to the Newbie Village, which, as the name suggested, was a landing zone for new Stalkers. It was the closest settlement to the edge of the Zone, and the safest spot in all of it. Sure, you still had anomalies and blind dogs and bandits, but compared to the North or even the Zone's center, it was fucking paradise.

She was going to take a gift from the Barkeep to the trader there, a fatass named Sidorovich, and after that, she'd take her shitty little SUV past the Military Cordon, ignore the hoots and catcalls of the privates and corporals and the drunken CO there, and back into the real world. No anomalies, no idiot bandits, no constant hunger, no uneasy sleep tinged with the fear of being ambushed by mutants, no driving through hails of bullets...

Despite all that, she'd actually miss this Hell. Made her feel alive. Rescued her from turning into another no-lifer office lady or otaku or whatever.

Maybe the research institute back in Tokyo would hire her now that she had actual Zone experience. She'd show that beret-bearing bastard boss who rejected her.

As the SUV bounced and rattled over the ruined road, Rin began to pump the brakes. Not because of another Godsforsaken anomaly, those were easy enough for Rin to weave around or even drive through, thanks to the SUV's armor.

The bodies strewn all over the road and a smouldering wreck at the bottom of the slope that dropped to the left of the road was a good enough incentive for her to stop.

It was a Death Truck, or more accurately, a crash site of a Death Truck. Three guesses as to why they were called that. Despite the name, whenever a Death Truck was intercepted, there was always a couple of wounded guys surrounded by piles of corpses. Freedom and Duty often set up roadblocks to intercept them, to get back all their missing men and hope , but they'd wait for hours on end for a truck that would never arrive.

She got out of the SUV, carefully locking it in case it was another idiotic trap from an ignorant bandit to jack her car, and began checking the bodies that looked relatively intact, not bothering with the corpses. She was one of the few, maybe even the only one, in the Zone who viewed robbing from the dead as low, even when it was a way of life here. Besides, even if the bodies had anything worth taking, it'd be scratched to all Hell and would probably get a glare from Sidorovich and maybe fifty rubles.

At the bottom of the slope, she saw four bodies that were different from the mess of military personnel and random SEVA-suited Loners. For starters, they were Asian, just like her ? or at least, the two that were lying face up. Their armor obviously wasn't SEVA or the vests made from scraps of metal made by Loners too poor to afford actual armor, and it definitely wasn't Berill or Skat armor. It was too pointed, too aerodynamic and tough-looking to be anything from the Ukrainian military. The armor on her shoulders had been scraped off in the crash, revealing a rather familiar mark...

The first body she had spotted looked... young. Black long hair, in her late teens, not a blemish on her. Her armor, made of a series of interlocking plates of sorts, was red, too bright red (a dumb tactical choice, Rin added) to be a Dutyer, with the occasional lump of white and yellow. She wore a strange helmet, with two lumps rising out of the top. They vaguely reminded Rin of cat's ears. In any case, the girl's chest was rising and falling slowly, so there wasn't a need for a pulse check.

She wasn't sure about the next woman. Her hair was dyed blond, and like the first body, was kept impractically long. Her armor was black, almost like a SWAT member's get-up, but the helmet was triangular and pointed and the armor too thick to be police gear. One hand gripped what was left of a gauss rifle, while the other held a curious octagonal... thing. Must be an artifact, but her Geiger counter didn't say anything. Rin checked for a pulse and got one.

The next body was lying face down. Rin gingerly turned the body on her back, hoping nothing was broken. At least she was breathing, but she was wheezing rather badly, the poor girl. Judging from the remains of her helmet and visor, it looked like her outfit was supposed to be environmentally sealed, like the stuff the Ecologists wore. This one also had long-as-fuck-for-whatever-reason hair, but for whatever reason, it was dyed blue. Rin wasn't sure if she was Asian or not.

Last, but not least... the last body was blonde like the second girl, but shorter, and somehow more girlish-looking. As usual, her armor was different, but a bunch of wires snaked from damaged plating here and there. It reminded her of the Ukranian exoskeletons, but the armor was too light and completely different. What was left of the girl's helmet was covered in some sort of sensor, reminding her of beady-little spider eyes. Creepy as fuck, in her opinion.

She didn't notice the dolls until she bent over to get a pulse. Rin nearly emptied her Pernach's magazine into the two figures as they watched. At first glance, they looked like just another stuffed ragdoll or wooden puppet, but then she noticed the scraped away ?skin?, revealing a mass of circuits, wires, steel skeletons.

?Come on then, let's see how much Sidorovich will pay for the four of you...? Rin whispered.

One by one, she dragged the bodies and their belongings back to her SUV.

---

Sidorovich looked up from his greasy meal of fried chicken at the figure heavily stepping down the stairs. It was that Japanese deliverywoman, Rin, the one who was supposed to leave today after his delivery. Instead of his package, however, she was carrying a dead Asian girl, bridal-style, flanked by three rookies carrying in corpses of their own.

?Don't tell me you're leaving for your honeymoon?? The trader chuckled.

Rin rolled her eyes. ?These bodies came from a death truck. They have the Mark.? Her Ukrainian was heavily accented, but it was passable.

Sidorovich turned away, snorting. ?Yeah, you know the drill, strip their armor off, give it to me, and toss them by th-?

?They're alive,? Rin cut in. She suppressed a smug smile when the fat bastard wheeled around, bug-eyed in surprise and half a leg of chicken hanging out of his mouth. She wished he had choked on the thing.

?Bullshit! You're lying!?

?Let the Zone take me if I am.?

?Put one of 'em here!? Sidorovich began shoving aside the mess of crates and papers on his desk, nearly trashing his plate of food as well. Rin nodded to the rookies she hired to help her move the survivors out of the SUV, motioning to the wall. There was only enough room for one body on Sidorovich's table, after all. Rin dumped the black-haired girl onto it.

Sidorovich looked over the girl, examining the armor and checking the pockets and ammo pouches. Eventually, he found a PDA, a model he was unfamiliar with. Too thin. It felt like he'd break it if he held it too long. There weren't even any buttons on the thing. He tapped the screen, and it lit up...

KILL THE STRELOK. That was it, those angry letters stamped on a white background.

Sidorovich stared at the cryptic command, then looked over the PDA at Rin. ?Well, for these four, I can give you-?

The body jolted, and suddenly, delicate but strong hands snatched the PDA away as if Sidorovich had held the most important thing in the world to her. The body... girl, rather, was still in shock, gasping for breath and staring, horrified, at the ceiling. When her breathing normalized, she was unconscious once more.

That was when Sidorovich noticed the Mark, branded on the exposed arm. It was the same jagged text as every other Mark, but this time, the letters were different...

?Rin, do you know what 'T.O.U.H.O.U.? stands for?

?Trespassers, Outsiders, Underminers, Hellraisers, Outcasts, Unknowns.? Rin shrugged, not adding she just made that up on the spot.

---------------------------------

Rin didn't bother staying with the survivors, and the newbies went back to the village. Sidorovich propped the four against the wall and waited until one of them gained consciousness.

The black-haired one was the first, starting up with a cough and a dazed glance around the room. She looked at the other bodies, nudging the nearest one, the girl with the pointy helmet, and muttering a name. ?Marisa?. So, at least they had names and not some stupid callsign for a change. ?Marisa? burst into a coughing fit, went through the same motions as the black-haired girl.

Sidorovich didn't understand a lick of Japanese, but he did get a name out of ?Marisa? when she went to wake the blue-haired girl. After some poking, she had a much more violent coughing fit as she woke up, digging in her suit's pockets and yanking out an asthma inhaler. Sidorovich got more Japanese, but he did get a distinct name. ?Patch? or something like that.

Marisa, relieved, began to bug the short-haired girl. ?Alice? was her name, apparently, and she glared at Marisa, who gave her a brilliant smile.

?So, I guess you're all acquainted with each other, huh?? The four turned their heads at Sidorovich, reaching for guns that were no longer there. ?Relax. I'm not here to torture you all to death. I'm Sidorovich, I'm a merchant. Do any of you remember anything at all??

The four were silent for a bit. Sidorovich wasn't sure if they understood a word of Ukranian, but ?Patch? spoke up, speaking in overly legal terms, like a lawyer or egghead writing a paper. At least her accent was somewhat better than Rin's. ?The Ukrainian Zone of Alienation, correct??

?That's my girl,? Sidorovich chuckled. ?Tell me, any of you remember anything? Like what you were doing here? Government work??

?We can't remember shit,? Marisa grunted, suddenly grabbing at her helmet as she stood along with the other three. A headache, probably. ?All I got is my name, my friends' names, and something about 'killing the Strelok' or whatever.?

?Right. Well. So. Marked Ones. I saved you, and I'm not going to pretend I did it to win favors upstairs. You do some jobs for me, we're even, then I set you loose, I don't care why you want to kill this 'Strelok' guy, and it's not any of my business. Now, either I brainwash you like all the newbies topside and tell you what you probably don't know, or I cut the history lessons and give you a mission straight away..?

Sidorovich trailed off as he suddenly noticed how scrunched they were against the wall and staring at him like they had been caged in with a psuedogiant.

?What're you standing there, Stalkers? Come closer... I don't bite.?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:15:04 PM by JackMackerel »
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
Re: [STALKER/Touhou] T.O.U.H.O.U. - Land of Shadows
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:44:52 AM »
(( MINOR UPDATE! I may just post in constant, short bursts. This thing is taking way too long. ))

--------------

?Ugh, just give us a second,? Marisa grunted. Her head was tearing itself apart and she wasn't really in the mood to get asked about meaningless gibberish from some fat guy.

?Since when did we learn Ukrainian?? Marisa asked Patchouli.

?Not a clue in the world,? she gasped in-between hacking coughs, patting herself down and finding her asthma inhaler in one of the suit's pockets. After a puff, she was rather enjoying cough-free speech. ?Wait, no, I taught that course, remember?? Patchouli rubbed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to rid herself of this accursed headache. It felt like someone threw a fog over her memory ? she could only barely remember her childhood and everything that was special to her (mostly reading her favorite books for the first time). At least the fog was lifting every second, avoiding that cliche. Thank the Gods she didn't have any sort of amnesia... so far.

?Oh. Right.? Marisa was also going through the same mental process. School days, check. First meeting with Reimu, check. First meeting with Alice, check. First meeting with Pache, check, JGSDF training, training... training... it felt like someone blurred her memories after her JGSDF graduation.

Reimu tried standing up, nearly losing balance and trying very, very hard not to spew vomit everywhere. Like Patchouli and Marisa, her memory had a hole in it. She helped Alice up, who was flicking her wrists confusedly, expecting something to happen...

?Pache, what's the Zone?? Alice asked quietly, looking around for her dolls.

?All I can recall is that is the official name it's given and that it's filled with mutated creatures, and is infamous for several physics anomalies strewn throughout it. It is also populated with illegal occupiers, titled 'Stalkers' for some strange reason,? Pache stated, sniffing primly.

?You sound like a damn travel blurb,? Marisa muttered. The fact they all remembered where and who they were minus whatever they were doing here was, for obvious reasons, suspicious. What if this was a simulation or if she was tripping on mushrooms again? She hated crap like that, always felt like a bad philosophical movie...

?So, I'm guessing none of us know anything else about this Zone?? Reimu asked. The answer was a resounding no. ?So, uh, fat guy,? Reimu started in Ukrainian, but was cut off by the man behind the desk.

?Name's Sidorovich, not 'Fat Guy'. I'm a trader here, and I don't normally brag, but I'm the best damn trader for miles around. Go ahead and ask anyone in the Zone about who I am, you'll get an answer straight away. I sell all sorts of good stuff ? weapons, artifacts, medical crap, anything you name, I got it. I also sell Zone crap to corporations and governments that aren't exactly Ukran-?

?Can you please just tell us what the Hell the Zone is?? Reimu cut in. She wasn't sure what was worse, her headache or having this guy add to it with some half-assed marketing pitch.

?Jesus Christ, your amnesia's worse than I thought...? Sidorovich cleared his throat and put on a face, the sort that Keine or Shiki made when they were getting ready to give a speech.

Wait. That's funny, who's Keine? Or Shiki? She vaguely remembered something about horns and being a judge- wait, it was coming back to her. Schoolteacher, remember? Fujiwara's best friend? Shiki Eiki, the former judge who also joined up...

?...and to the north after the Bar are the Army Warehouses and are you ladies even listening to me?? Sidorovich stopped mid-spiel to glower at the four.

?Calm down, ze... what were you saying earlier about that mission??

?I was going to give you a job to do like I do with all the other newbies, but I seriously doubt any of you are in any shape to go kick some ass. Here.? Sidorovich rooted around in his side of the dingy office, yanking out a relatively fancy coffee machine, some coffee beans from God-knows-where and four French Army MREs. ?The four of you look like a bunch of African refugees and I definitely don't want dead bodies in my bunker.? After the MREs were heated and coffee poured into mugs, he slid them over to the four women. Much to the amusement of Sidorovich and the annoyance of Alice and Patchouli, Reimu and Marisa apparently also had their memories of table manners wiped.

When they were done, Patchouli spoke.

?Now, fill us in about this Zone...?

-----------------

Tarkov stomped back to the prisoner's quarters and kicked the nerdy egghead with the glasses directly in the face.

?WHZ THZ FCK WZ TH'F??
the man screamed ? er, mumbled ? through the rags stuffed in his mouth. Somehow, the glasses hadn't shattered, which made the assaulter even more enraged.

?I just lost another fucking game of poker and I don't like faggot nerds like you,? the bandit spat. Following up with an actual spit, hocking up his chewing tobbaco and spitting on the man's face.

?FCK! AH TOL YUU I' NAHH A NERRR,?
the man scream-muffled again.

?Glasses, don't bother trying,? the other prisoner muttered.

?Shut the fuck up, Nimble. You're lucky I didn't lop off your tongue,? Tarkov spat as well. Or at least, tried to, because he wound up dribbling on the ground and earning a laugh from the lookout in the room, some gangbanger from Kiev. Tarkov glared at the lookout before walking back out.

?Awww, poor Tarkov. Don't break all your toys,? the lookout chortled. Tarkov tried to punch him, but the lookout moved out of the way, leaving Tarkov to smash his fist against the wall and earning him more laughter from that faggot lookout.

He returned to the center of the camp, where most of the Bandits were huddled around a roaring bonfire, playing guitars, harmonicas, whatever instrument was portable, you named it. One even had a xylophone, as silly as it sounded and looked. A few were still trying to raise Borov on the main channel to no avail, and a few were looking over the pile of fresh loot captured from the recent exodus of Loners... and that weird crate that had suddenly parachuted into the Garbage last week. It was a tough fight, but the local Bandits managed to get it back to the ?base? (the one Tarkov was in right now, of course) of sorts before the Loners overwhelmed them. It was made out of some hard plastic, gave this weird hum, and had this strange calligraphy all over it. Tarkov heard it was Korean, but wasn't Korean more rounded than this? In any case, he was staying fucking far away from the loot, both the weapons and the crates. You didn't get a stroke of luck in the Zone without an equal helping of bad luck.

Suddenly, there was an excited buzz of conversation around one of the radiomen. He, after a long series of treating the radio as a punching back, finally patched through to Borov and the rest of the Bandits at the new base in Dark Valley. Nothing short of a miracle, since, as the title suggested, Dark Valley was rather gloomy and made it hard for cheap, Soviet-era radios like the ones the Bandits had to communicate between bases.

There was a round of ?Hello? Hello?s before Borov cut them off, barked at the radiomen for wasting precious air time, and said something about getting a massive amount of Japanese containers and weapons, along with quite a few unconcious prisoners. One of the radiomen suggested they use them for pleasure, which got five minutes of static-tinged ranting and threats to come over there and ?shove your dick right up your rapist asshole?. The other radioman, after spending the entire rant glaring at his co-worker, suggested they hold them for ransom, which Borov had a somewhat nicer reaction to.

?...Risk it? Look like... Special Forces... armor... well-equipped... crates probably for them... they'll probably escape or get the Japs... down on us with even more Army fu... you know what? Just stay put and we'll just hold them for now. They're still unconscious, and I'm pretty this isn't the last of them. We're going to arm up what we can and we may have to abandon them in the wilderness or something. Now stop wasting your battery trying to contact me, I'll contact you. And none of that ?over and out? shit, it's just ?out?. Out.?

The line went dead.

?So, fifty rubles says that Glasses and Nimble have something to do with this,? a middle-aged hood said, throwing a thumb over his shoulder at the giant, mysterious crate.

?Can I beat them up again?? Tarkov asked, grinning.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.